PDA

View Full Version : Torchlight II Class Discussion

Drinking with Skeletons
22-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Alright, RPS, let's talk about Torchlight II's classes. I've got a level 43 Embermage and a level 18 Engineer, both on Veteran. I feel like I fucked up the Embermage; he's got access to some fantastic passives, but I feel like I over-bought on them and didn't pick very synergistic actives, making him feel very unevenly powered and relatively ineffective. I also didn't balance his stats very well and he dies far too often. At some point I'll come back to the Embermage, but I think this one is going to get written off as a learning experience.

So I re-rolled an Engineer and have decided to focus more, and I'm finding him to be a lot better. The healing bot is useful, the basic smash attack he starts with is powerful, and I've invested in just two passives that improve his attack rate, add a stun chance, and add a chance to supercharge his melee attacks. I'm going to add in the gun turret to help out with bosses and champions, since that seems to be his major weakness, but those are going to be the primary skills for him. Of course, I'm balancing his stats more, too, keeping Vitality and Strength even and keeping them at a 3:1 ratio with Dex and Focus.

What are your experiences with the classes? Any builds that are working well? Any builds that aren't turning out so hot?

Rauten
22-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I've a level 29 Engineer and I don't personally see the point in investing into focus; the only thing it seems useful for an engineer is to increase the mana pool, but between the passive regeneration, the healing bot's mana regeneration (when you raise it to Tier1) and the ridiculous amount of potions the game drops, I've never put a single point into Focus, and I've only used a total of about, I dunno... 10 mana potions?
I usually do 3 strength / 1 Dexterity / 1 Vitality when leveling up.

AlonePlusEasyTarget
22-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I did a 3 engineers co-op a few hours ago and I like how all each of the characters play quite differently. I roll with ranged weapons, switching between cannon and dual-wield pistols while deploying healing bots and spider mines. Others use melee weapons but one focus on storm burst and another focus on flame/ember hammer - I mostly just spam blast cannon. I'm at level 22 while they are 16+ levels higher so they already have gun bots and the likes. I don't know about them but I just pump most of my points into strength ignoring both dexterity and focus.

The amount of pets and bots following us is ridiculous and there are too much things going on at once that it's hard to keep track. We are playing on veteran but I don't know how we would fare at higher level as I can't teleport to Zeryphys yet which is where they would be by now.

And coup de grace is massively useful when using cannon as it deals large damage to stunned enemies which is easy to be done using the aforementioned weapon.

fiddlesticks
22-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm currently playing with a level 32 Outlander on Veteran difficulty, but I'll probably switch to a different build soon. My only active skill is the starting one (Rapid Fire), the rest of my points were spent on Ranged Mastery, Shotgonne Mastery and the Shadowling Ammo, which summons minions whenever I kill an enemy. Having a small army at your disposal is kind of hilarious, but I simply lack the damage output against larger foes and with the Shotgun I have to get in too close for comfort most of the time. I also didn't invest many points in Vitality, which means I'm very squishy and somewhat limited in my selection of equipment.

I'm thinking about trying out the Embermage, as the Alchemist was my favourite class from the original. Any recommendations as to which skills are worthwile?

pakoito
22-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I've a level 29 Engineer and I don't personally see the point in investing into focus; the only thing it seems useful for an engineer is to increase the mana pool, but between the passive regeneration, the healing bot's mana regeneration (when you raise it to Tier1) and the ridiculous amount of potions the game drops, I've never put a single point into Focus, and I've only used a total of about, I dunno... 10 mana potions?
I usually do 3 strength / 1 Dexterity / 1 Vitality when leveling up.

Focus could be easily abused with cannon builds. Keeping blast cannon / barrage on for extended periods of time is just magnificent.

Also, you'll start using potions from the second half of Act 2 onwards' bosses.

AlonePlusEasyTarget
22-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Focus could be easily abused with cannon builds. Keeping blast cannon / barrage on for extended periods of time is just magnificent.

I only have 5 points on Focus but the low mana pool is easily compensated by the healing bot and cannon (and one of the pistols) that steal mana when hit.

Ta'Lon
22-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm also using an engineer with a cannon, level 41 currently on Veteran.
So far I've pretty much ignored Dex and Focus in favor of a 4 Str and 1 Vit build. Combined with some mana regen equipment and the healing bot you can spam cannon blast for some pretty beastly damage.
Worked out pretty well so far, but I might add some more Vit now because I've been mauled 2 or 3 times since the beginning of Act III due to being locked in place with no chance to react.

Btw, are there any stats on your pet apart from the armor, damage shown in the equipment window ? I'd like to know what exactly the effects of the fishes are statwise.

Rauten
22-09-2012, 09:59 PM

I'm using health pots mostly, I'm at the second large map of Act 2 right now. I probably should've specified that I'm going with a 2hander onslaught->stomp->magma mace//into your face spec.

mrki
22-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Lvl 40 engineer on veteran, act 3. I like that the difficulty is increasing enough to keep it interesting. I've had to give up on my hammer and now I maily use the cannon with blast cannon, it's just more survivable.

Shezo
23-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm rolling berserker, currently lvl 38.
And i'm kinda disappointed by Tundra skill tree, most of the skills are useless, even the passive ones.
Storm hatchet is nice tho, generates a ton of charge.

xaphoo
23-09-2012, 01:54 AM
I brought an embermage to 25 or so focusing on the Storm skills, but they weren't fun and explosive enough for me (though I really liked Storm Locus for some reason). I rerolled, focusing only on Magma Spear and the passives, and I'm having more fun. Wand Chaos, when brought up high enough, is a party on its own. Once I hit 21 I'm going with Pillar of Fire.

I still have no idea what to do about the stats though. I'm putting 4 points in Focus for every one in Vitality.

Avish
23-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I am currently playing with an embermage and (level 15 ATM) and investing my skill points in:
Prismatic bolt - Quite happy with this one. It inflicts a decent amount of damage with the occasional effect.
Prismatic rift - Good for when you are overwhelmed.
Hailstorm - Don't sure about this one, but it's not bad for crowd control (damage + stun).
Charge mastery - A must for every embermage.

I also found out that, although dual wands are quite cool, a wand and shield is more effective to my build.

agentorange
23-09-2012, 10:12 AM
I am a level 20...something Outlander. The only active skill I have is the Glaive, which I am putting most of my points into, along with Shotgonne Mastery. The rest of my points are going into passive mob management skills, like the Poison Shot which causes explosions on death, Shadowling Ammo, and the elemental damage bonus. It's a great build for dealing with large groups of enemies, since the procs will chain, but it is quite unsuited for boss battles. The Glaive has made quick work of most of the bosses so far, but I'll probably be hurting later on.

Polycrates
23-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Went with engineer on veteran, I'm level 30-something and haven't regretted the decision to go engy for a second. Awesome class.

Went with cannons (so cool!), so heavy lifting and blast cannon are essentials.
The healing bot is...just unbelievable, and I'm not sure there's any excuse for not fully leveling this guy every chance you get no matter what your build. Once you've summoned him on a level he stays there forever for free, he can't be hurt, and he gives you heaps of healing, mana and (later) extra armour to boot! And if anything, the returns seem to get better with every point invested.

I also invested heavily in gunbot and this little guy is awesome! Really useful for boss fights to do (pretty good) damage while you kite or to take care of the swarms. No regrets about this skill.

For cannon, I found that one point in seismic slam was an excellent investment for when I get swarmed.
One point in coup de grace gives a lot of extra damage to all those guys you stun (though I'm not convinced investing more points in it is the way to go, given that bosses don't seem to get stunned).
At least one point in forcefield gives you a lot of good damage resistance and it's something to use your meagre amounts of charge on as well. I'm starting to invest more in this one.
And one point in spider mines is rewarding if you can be bothered with constantly resummoning them.

Ravelle
23-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a outlander level 20 and a berserker level 26, and with both classes I only level about 3-4 skills I use frequently, it's odd that they changed the skill system; they're more class specific now instead of a more customization skill set.

Avish
23-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Once you've summoned him on a level he stays there forever for free, he can't be hurt, and he gives you heaps of healing, mana and (later) extra armour to boot! And if anything, the returns seem to get better with every point invested.

I also invested heavily in gunbot and this little guy is awesome! Really useful for boss fights to do (pretty good) damage while you kite or to take care of the swarms. No regrets about this skill.

I didn't try the engineer yet, but healing bot sounds a little game breaking to me (like a cheat or god mode).

pakoito
23-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I didn't try the engineer yet, but healing bot sounds a little game breaking to me (like a cheat or god mode).

Early game is OLOLOLOL FULL HEALTH 100%, midgame it loses the flash heal so it's only a tool to keep you at full health and mana for every new encounter without the need of mana/hp reg items. If my calculations are correct at level 15 the heal is constant, so your party has effective constant health and mana regeneration and 8% armor boost. It is a GREAT skill.

Gunbot is just easy mode. Cannon Engineer feels very cheap but we play to win, right? :D

mrki
23-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Early game is OLOLOLOL FULL HEALTH 100%, midgame it loses the flash heal so it's only a tool to keep you at full health and mana for every new encounter without the need of mana/hp reg items. If my calculations are correct at level 15 the heal is constant, so your party has effective constant health regeneration and 8% armor boost. It is a GREAT skill.

Gunbot is just easy mode. Cannon Engineer feels very cheap but we play to win, right? :D

True on both counts. Healing bot is not OP at all, althoug it does help a lot during boss fights. Gun bot on the other hand :)

In other news I finished the game with the engineer, was lvl 48 or something like that. I was playing quite suicidally so I died a lot but it was fun. The only time I felt it was unfair was in act 2 during the second djinns task because when you die and go in again you appear in the light cirle surronded by everything, so basically you're immediately fucked.
Now to start a new playthrough with the embermage, the wand skill sounds ridiculous.

Avish
23-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Early game is OLOLOLOL FULL HEALTH 100%, midgame it loses the flash heal so it's only a tool to keep you at full health and mana for every new encounter without the need of mana/hp reg items. If my calculations are correct at level 15 the heal is constant, so your party has effective constant health regeneration and 8% armor boost. It is a GREAT skill.

Thanks.
I might try the engineer sometime in the future.

I have a feeling that Runic are going to adjust some of the abilities in the near future :)

Polycrates
23-09-2012, 02:17 PM
True on both counts. Healing bot is not OP at all, althoug it does help a lot during boss fights. Gun bot on the other hand :)I'm finding that the main benefit of the healing bot midgame is the mana regeneration, so I can fire heaps of blast cannon shots and still keep forcefield up, without having to micromanage potions much. It ends up still being a LOT of healing as well though. The only pain is when you forget to summon him at the start of a level...
The only time I felt it was unfair was in act 2 during the second djinns task because when you die and go in again you appear in the light cirle surronded by everything, so basically you're immediately fucked.Ugh that was a truly awful difficulty spike.

pakoito
23-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't say awful. It just needed to be in another act maybe.

Also, swamp trolls in Act 3. Cheeeeap as fuck. I can tank a boss no problem, yet those guys have oneshotted me, TWICE. With forcefield on O.o

Gray Guardian
24-09-2012, 03:32 PM
I have an engineer at level 29, I was about to face the Artificer when I left the game yesterday. My main spending pattern is 2 points for Strength and Vitality and one point for Focus each level. I leave Dex at the minimal level. So currently I have about 75 St, 70 Vit and 40 Focus (this is after the item bonuses). I find that having a lot of mana is helpful since I can use a lot of Forcefield and Spider Bots. I switch between a twohanded weapon and cannon, I find that the stomp skill + the skill that gives you extra damage against stunned enemies is a really nice synergy. I also put points in Gun Bot and Health Bot of course.

I'm pretty noobish at this kind of game so my build is probably far from optimal but still on Veteran difficulty I only died about 10 times up to this point and I amassed about 90 Big Health Potions.

Is it possbile to choose the type of pet or are they class specific? I think I missed that option, I have the default eagle.

Faldrath
24-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Um, you choose your pet just after you customize your character. You might have clicked through the pet selection stage.

Gray Guardian
24-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Um, you choose your pet just after you customize your character. You might have clicked through the pet selection stage.

Shoot, I must have somehow missed it? Do the critters have different stats or is it a purely cosmetic choice?

fiddlesticks
24-09-2012, 03:49 PM
It's purely cosmetic.

You'd think the hawk would be able to fly over traps and holes, but nope.

db1331
24-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I've got a Berserker, around level 17. I'm focusing most of my skill points on things that give health regen. Right now I regenerate 6% of my health on every crit. I love getting my charge meter full and going toe to toe with a big boss, watching my health meter constantly plunge into the danger zone, then immediately fill back up as the boss is winding up for his next big attack. I've got my healing dash skill up to the point where it absorbs health from 3 baddies per charge. I love wading into a mass of enemies, getting my charge meter full, and then going to town with my 180 degree swipe attack. I really can't wait to get a "Heal All" spell for my pet. I imagine I will really be able to wade into the thick of it then.

Polycrates
25-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Up to level 43 with my engineer now and things are getting ridiculous. My full posse is now a healingbot, a helicopter, a gunbot, a smashbot, ten spidermines, and a necromancer dog who himself constantly summons a skeleton, an imp thing, five skeleton archers and three suicide zombies.

Tremor has become a new favourite skill, not just because of the pushback and the extra enemy damage sensitivity but because it puts big red haloes around enemies, and battles have become such a clusterfuck of duelling armies that it's the easiest way to actually tell what the hell is going on, and which undead/robotic horde is actually the enemy.

If I could respec, I'd get rid of my point in seismic slam (tremor does the same job better), my couple of points in bulwark (I have forcefield up constantly and it is amazing, points would be better invested there) and of course the starting point in flame hammer that I should have thought to take out at level one (not sure if you can). I might put fewer points into blast cannon as well - the extra damage doesn't seem to scale that well with each level but the mana costs go up a lot. Perhaps should have left this at level 5 and spent the points elsewhere.

Keen to put a point into storm burst (for escaping) and charge domination (to occasionally have some actual charge - hopefully minion kills count).

pakoito
25-09-2012, 12:24 AM
storm burstActually not an scape skill or worse than expected.

Also, lvl 15 blast cannon + silence cannon + forcefield means few bosses will be problematic ;) I forgot to level up my robots at lvl 41 ;___; The rocket barrage stuff is great for bosses if you can distract them, pop your biggest potion and fire at will. It's basically 0.5s cooldown homing cannon attack at the cost of mana.

Ravelle
25-09-2012, 01:05 AM

I skipped through the naming, I have a dog called Pancakes now.

Polycrates
26-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Actually not an scape skill or worse than expected.

I'm gonna disagree on this one. I tried it out and found it REALLY useful in boss fights. Either as a panic button when I lose forcefield and the cooldown hasn't finished (it also gives 60% damage reduction which helps for this too), but mostly just to outrun bosses who otherwise keep up with me and make it hard to get shots off. I'm able to get a LOT more shots in at bosses, and it seems to make them redirect their attention to my minions sometimes as well. A point very well spent, I reckon.

Also tried dynamo to generate charge for forcefield and tremor but the charge gain was a bit underwhelming and it was more mucking around than it was worth. Casts really fast with no cooldown though, so I could see it being useful with more investment in a charge-heavy build.

Squirly
26-09-2012, 09:00 AM
If I could respec, I'd get rid of my point in seismic slam (tremor does the same job better), my couple of points in bulwark (I have forcefield up constantly and it is amazing, points would be better invested there) and of course the starting point in flame hammer that I should have thought to take out at level one (not sure if you can). I might put fewer points into blast cannon as well - the extra damage doesn't seem to scale that well with each level but the mana costs go up a lot. Perhaps should have left this at level 5 and spent the points elsewhere.

You can! Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save\RandomNumbers and open up your settings.txt file. Change the '0' behind 'console' to '1'. Start up your game, hit Insert to open up the console, type 'resetskills'. Done.

Squirly
26-09-2012, 09:01 AM
double post!

Heliocentric
26-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I like the class where you click on enemies, set persistent spells snd furiously click hot keys.

Autopanda
26-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I've a level 28 Berserker dual wielding claws and am finding the Wolf Ally combined with the Wolf Dash thing (that leeches health) make boss fights fairly easy, but big mobs hard, as I have no splash damage.
It is quite nice to have a >80% chance of hitting with both weapons at once through investment in focus and +execute chance.

Memph
26-09-2012, 10:36 PM
You can! Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save\RandomNumbers and open up your settings.txt file. Change the '0' behind 'console' to '1'. Start up your game, hit Insert to open up the console, type 'resetskills'. Done.

Does this not 'flag' your character as having cheated though? I know spawning items in TL1 did.
If so, it'd bugger up achievements - which some wouldn't be too chuffed with.

Polycrates
26-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Does this not 'flag' your character as having cheated though? I know spawning items in TL1 did.
If so, it'd bugger up achievements - which some wouldn't be too chuffed with.

The other approach, that supposedly doesn't flag you (I'm not quite sure how to tell, but I'm pretty sure I'm still getting achievements), is to enable console, start a new character, then open the console and type "respecpotion" which will drop a "Potion of Respec" in front of you. Dump that in your shared stash, disable console, then load up your regular character and drink. Your new character will be flagged, but your main character shouldn't be.

Oshada
27-09-2012, 06:16 AM
For what it's worth my character hasn't been flagged despite resetting stats and skills through the console. I think the flag is set for some console commands and not others.

Skyturnedred
06-01-2014, 01:34 PM
/casts Scroll of Resurrection

I was going to play some TL2 but I couldn't decide on what class to go with. I did have fun getting my engineer to lvl 43 before I lost my save, but I wanted to try something else. Problem is, none of the vanilla classes are all that interesting. So I wanted to ask if you guys have come across any good class mods? I've tried a few of them and they all seem ridiculously overpowered. I normally play on veteran, but even elite mode wasn't challenging with them.

Skalpadda
06-01-2014, 02:33 PM
I haven't tried any class mods (for the same reasons you say - they all look wildly overpowered), but have you tried doing something unusual with the existing classes? A Berserker specced out to be a "shaman" type character (lots of magic and using elemental weapons) for example, or a greataxe-wielding Outlander (lots of good mobility skills). Embermages can make pretty good tanky melee characters if you spec and gear them right.

If you play with a friend you could find some very specialised niches for characters - one of you could play an Embermage focused on control and healing while the other is a glass-cannon spec focused on clearing the screen as fast as possible, for example. Or something completely different, there's quite a bit of flexibility though all classes seem to have one or two skills that are more or less mandatory for staying alive once you bump up the difficulty.

DevinSmoth
06-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I would install the SynergiesMOD... it's quite good.