PDA

View Full Version : Clock overlay for games?

zanchito
25-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi!

Some games have a real time clock in their interface (mostly MMOs), but I'd find that very useful for all kinds of games. Do any of you know of any program or setting I could use to display an overlay clock on my games? Kinda like FRAPS does with the FPS counter, but with the actual day time. I've been looking around the Internets and surprisingly enough, didn't find anything!

Thanks!

ata
25-09-2012, 10:57 AM
The steam overlay is quite handy for checking the time.

mnemnoch
25-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I think MSI afterburner have this.

Edit:

Checked it in-game. Yup, you can enable system time in the overlay.

zanchito
25-09-2012, 11:06 AM
So I can display the Steam clock while playing (ie. not opening the overlay with Shift+Tab, just playing at the same time it's shown on screen)? Or are you talking about the MSI afterburner program thingie? I don't have an MSI board, though.

caljohnston
25-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Buy a clock?

zanchito
25-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a defined approach for a reason, Mr. caljohnston. Your lateral thinking is appretiated, but I'm specifically looking for an on-screen, on-game window (no dual monitors) solution.

mnemnoch
25-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Yup Msi Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm) the program. You can use the program even if you have or dont have a MSI board. Its a program for overclocking but you can also use it as a monitoring program.

Ex:

http://i.imgur.com/qMqLD.jpg

LTK
25-09-2012, 11:27 AM
I have a defined approach for a reason, Mr. caljohnston. Your lateral thinking is appretiated, but I'm specifically looking for an on-screen, on-game window (no dual monitors) solution.
Okay, now I'm curious. What's the reason that an on-screen clock overlay is a better solution than a pocket-sized digital clock standing next to your monitor?

zanchito
25-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you, mnemnoch! Perfect reply, I'd hire you if I had a company.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/images/statusicon/user-online.png

SirDavies
25-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Just looked around my desk. I have my watch, two alarm clocks, my phone and the computer's clock available. How can you not have any of that? Have you made it your purpose to never get your eyes away from the screen ever again? Do you only own a computer and nothing else? Are you from a future in which no other elements are needed?

Grizzly
25-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Just looked around my desk. I have my watch, two alarm clocks, my phone and the computer's clock available. How can you not have any of that? Have you made it your purpose to never get your eyes away from the screen ever again? Do you only own a computer and nothing else? Are you from a future in which no other elements are needed?

I personally have no watch, only one digital clock, which is on my bedstand. My phone locks itself all the time and it is quite inconvenient to check the time there. The computer's clock ain't there when you are play fullscreen game.

zanchito
25-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply, but if you don't mind me saying, your judgement does not help at all finding a solution. I hope you realize you are patronizing and pressuming to know what I want, or need, better than I do myself, without knowing me at all, nor my environment. I also sincerely hope you don't get that kind of reply whenever you ask for help or information anywhere. I do hope you have a good day, though, and I sincerely mean it.

Kaira-
25-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Xfire has what you need.

zanchito
25-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Kaira, I'll try both mnemnoch's and your solution. I hope your suggestions are useful for others too!

trjp
25-09-2012, 01:13 PM
If you have an ATi/AMD card - ATi Tray Tools can do this I believe (it might even work without ATI/AMD cards but I've never tried it)

PlayClaw3 is a video capture tool which has a customisable OSD which I believe can include a clock too - the free (trial) version has limitations on capture but the OSD works indefinately.

So both of those are free options alongside MSI Afterburner

You realise that games don't include a clock for a reason tho - yeah? :)

Danny252
25-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I personally have no watch, only one digital clock, which is on my bedstand. My phone locks itself all the time and it is quite inconvenient to check the time there. The computer's clock ain't there when you are play fullscreen game.

Your phone doesn't show the time when it shows the Unlock screen, even just in the corner? If only people built sensible UIs :(

LTK
25-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply, but if you don't mind me saying, your judgement does not help at all finding a solution. I hope you realize you are patronizing and pressuming to know what I want, or need, better than I do myself, without knowing me at all, nor my environment. I also sincerely hope you don't get that kind of reply whenever you ask for help or information anywhere. I do hope you have a good day, though, and I sincerely mean it.
Nope, no judgement. Everyone just really wants to know why you have the problem you have. What if we all need a clock overlay for full-screen applications, but don't realize it?

Your phone doesn't show the time when it shows the Unlock screen, even just in the corner? If only people built sensible UIs :(
I would wager that all smartphones do that, only the lockscreen goes black again when the phone isn't unlocked, so you have to press the power button whenever you want the time. Apologies for veering off-topic, but this has been bugging me recently. There's actually a full-screen, auto-dimming digital clock screensaver native to Android - mind you, this is not the default clock application, but an activity called 'com.android.deskclock.Screensaver' - but I'll be damned if I know how to set it up to be shown when the screen is dark. Searching for a custom application doesn't help either; when I do a search for 'screensaver' Google automatically assumes I must have meant 'wallpaper' and shows me the 2.5 spazillian downloadable wallpapers instead.

zanchito
25-09-2012, 10:41 PM
LTK: reply was not aimed at you, I apologize for any misunderstanding. About the screensacer thingie, you'll probably need a custom ROM, because as far as I know, all standard ROMS (Samsung, LG, HTC) force sleep mode and screen off, it's not a choice. You are probably fighting a tough one too, because by keeping the clock on at all times, no matter how dim, you need the screen on and the related wakelocks, which would eat battery some 20-30% faster than usual. I certainly don't know about any way of doing what you want, but if I hear of one, I'll send you a PM.

frightlever
26-09-2012, 11:21 AM
LTK: reply was not aimed at you, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

I see what you're doing. We all see what you're doing. It isn't big and it isn't clever. And when you reply to me, that won't be big or clever either but go ahead and have fun with your Kirk Lazarus routine.

Berzee
26-09-2012, 01:19 PM
You may consider moving next to a college clock tower which peals every 15 minutes.
Alternatively, a skylight will allow you to navigate by the sun and stars with a quick and easy upward tilt of the neck.

Within your specifications, though, I think the solution I would recommend would be to buy a pocket watch and hang it over the top of your monitor, so that it hangs down in front of the screen a bit. Convenient, portable, compatible with most programs. (I think this will also work with dual monitors but have not tested).

I also found this, but it possibly only works in games that have fog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8bu6F8MME

Jesus_Phish
26-09-2012, 01:42 PM
The last thing I'd ever want is something covering any part of my UI/Screen when playing a game that isn't meant to be there.

Also to the lad who said it's inconvenient to check the time on his phone, I don't know of any phones that don't show the time when you press a button on them, I'd hardly call reaching for a phone and pressing a button inconvenient. Incredibly lazy if you can't do that.

gundato
26-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I do agree that having to hit the power button to check the time on my phone can get tedious. Especially if you are the kind of person who insists on waiting until the last second.

Of course, I just wear a wristwatch. When I need to see the time, I just take my hand off the keyboard for a half second or so to read it, then go back. That works wonders when gaming, working, or just walking around. Hence why pocket watches evolved into wrist watches.

LTK
26-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Also to the lad who said it's inconvenient to check the time on his phone, I don't know of any phones that don't show the time when you press a button on them, I'd hardly call reaching for a phone and pressing a button inconvenient. Incredibly lazy if you can't do that.
Hey! I'll have you know that I put a lot of effort into being lazy. For example, I don't use my phone to check the time, because I have a wall clock above my desk, so it only requires me to glance upward to tell the time. However, if I could make my phone display the time continuously, I would place it at the base of my monitor so I only have to move my eyes a very small distance compared to looking up at the wall clock. And I will gladly learn how to program an android application to make a screensaver if it means I can be more lazy. Laziness takes commitment, I'm telling you.

Moraven
26-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey! I'll have you know that I put a lot of effort into being lazy. For example, I don't use my phone to check the time, because I have a wall clock above my desk, so it only requires me to glance upward to tell the time. However, if I could make my phone display the time continuously, I would place it at the base of my monitor so I only have to move my eyes a very small distance compared to looking up at the wall clock. And I will gladly learn how to program an android application to make a screensaver if it means I can be more lazy. Laziness takes commitment, I'm telling you.

What you have there is the built in dock screensaver. Default screen for my docked original droid along with my docked Galaxy Nexus. I am sure there is some out there to force your phone into docked mode. (Seems someone had one in the past (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cowbellsoftware.deskdock&feature=search_result), sure one is out there.)

My dock is right next to my monitor. Also I can set my G15 LCD to a clock. Now I need to place my wall clock in front of my desk.
Maybe a 2nd one on the side wall. Then need a grand father clock across the room.

Moraven
26-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Are you wanting a clock for something game related (timings in a RTS, timing now long it takes you to do something) or just the convenience of having the time right in your face so you don't miss something while in turn 300 of a Civ game?

Berzee
26-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Are you wanting a clock for something game related (timings in a RTS, timing now long it takes you to do something) or just the convenience of having the time right in your face so you don't miss something while in turn 300 of a Civ game?

Oh, you're so judgmental, Moraven.

Danny252
26-09-2012, 07:34 PM
having the time right in your face so you don't miss something while in turn 300 of a Civ game?

Of all the examples to pick, you picked the only game I've played where I've noticed it having a clock!

(I think Civ 5 even goes "It's 2am - isn't it past your bed time, young sir?" - I've certainly had some game do that)

Moraven
26-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Of all the examples to pick, you picked the only game I've played where I've noticed it having a clock!

(I think Civ 5 even goes "It's 2am - isn't it past your bed time, young sir?" - I've certainly had some game do that)

Well, you can enable a timer in Starcraft 2, but I was more asking if he wanted one top, middle of his screen and jumbo size.

I guess I never noticed the Civ5 clock if it is enabled by default...

Danny252
26-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Well, you can enable a timer in Starcraft 2, but I was more asking if he wanted one top, middle of his screen and jumbo size.

I guess I never noticed the Civ5 clock if it is enabled by default...

Not by default, but the option was fairly obvious - I've played a tiny bit of SC2 but never spotted the option for it.

Grizzly
26-09-2012, 11:21 PM

The thing is, I have to unlock it first. So first I have to get my mobile phone, which is usually in my pocket of my coat which is downstairs. Then I have to press the * button and hold it for several seconds, have my eyes adjust to the brightness of the display, read the small text in the top right corner, and find out that I should have done all of that 10 minutes earlier.

It's especially the last bit which is the jarring thing :P.

I see what you're doing. We all see what you're doing. It isn't big and it isn't clever. And when you reply to me, that won't be big or clever either but go ahead and have fun with your Kirk Lazarus routine.

Quite certain that he was replying to SirDavies (I ninja'ed a bit). Calm down. If it is a problem, it is a problem between him and the men who feel adressed. No need to randomly go in and shout him down.

SirDavies
27-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Both me, LTK and others were just wondering the specifics of his situation -were he needs an ingame clock that doesn't require any button-pressing and the existence of any other commonly used method of knowing the hour is unacceptable-. The fact that he was responding to my inquiry or LTK's doesn't make a difference because we are wondering about the same question, and he just keeps avoiding answering it.

Jesus_Phish
27-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm wondering it too. It seems so bizarre to me.

It'd be like wanting a widget to tell me what the weather is like outside, because I couldn't be bothered to turn my head and look out the window. Maybe not everyone sits near a window, but it's the same principle.

I don't care that he wants to have a clock overlay, I'd just be interested to know why he wants it instead of having a clock next to his monitor or using steam or a wrist watch or a phone (that he hasn't left downstairs in his coat pocket!)

MrN
27-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Just hire a town crier to come into the room at the top of the hour shouting what time it is while ringing a bell. It'll help you keep track of the time, AND improve the economy by creating a job. =)

Hypernetic
27-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I feel like this will become one of life's great mysteries.

BobbyFizz
27-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I'd also like to register my fascination. And the fact the guy seemed to be a bit angry about this clock situation makes it funnier.

Edit: The fact that this thread almost turned into a flame thread is bloody hilarious.

Jesus_Phish
27-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Maybe mechanical clocks are illegal?

Oak
27-09-2012, 03:47 PM

I think Anno 1404 does that. It also gives you an achievement for starting a new game at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Edit: The fact that this thread almost turned into a flame thread is bloody hilarious.

This forum's defining feature is that any thread has that potential.

Moraven
27-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe mechanical clocks are illegal?

Or the tick sound of the second hand moving is to much to handle.

Berzee
27-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Or the tick sound of the second hand moving is to much to handle.

Imagine here that I have had the wherewithal to go find a video of the fight scene from Hook where everyone holds a clock out and Hook goes all crazy.

LTK
27-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Or the tick sound of the second hand moving is too much to handle.
I can get behind that. Does anyone actually have a ticking clock in their room? It's torturous when the rest of the room is quiet.

Danny252
27-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I can get behind that. Does anyone actually have a ticking clock in their room? It's torturous when the rest of the room is quiet.

I have one in the place where I volunteer (there's actually two things ticking, I figure one is the 'leccy meter) - it's fairly regularly pretty silent apart from them. I've found they're quite comforting, having lived with them for a while!

Mind, I did once take the batteries out of someone's clock after it kept me up for an hour when sleeping on their sofa - and this was with it being in another room entirely...

SirDavies
28-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Loud ticking clocks are certainly a pain in the ass, but in this day and age I doubt they even make them anymore. I have a clock on the wall that has an arrow for the seconds but it doesn't make any noticeable sound. If the only clocks he has available have inconceivably loud ticking noises, that COULD be a potential reason for the on-screen-only requirement. If that happens to be the case, I owe to you my most sincere apologies, for I can only imagine the pain you must endure every day.

Brett905
04-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi!

Some games have a real time clock in their interface (mostly MMOs), but I'd find that very useful for all kinds of games. Do any of you know of any program or setting I could use to display an overlay clock on my games? Kinda like FRAPS does with the FPS counter, but with the actual day time. I've been looking around the Internets and surprisingly enough, didn't find anything!

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread.
Hope you found something... PlayClaw does this.
What a bunch of losers on this thread.

Kevin
04-06-2013, 04:12 AM
In Metro: Last Light, provided it isn't being used to keep track of how much time you have on your gas mask's filter, the watch keeps time according to your computer's system clock.

Davkaus
04-06-2013, 06:49 AM
After 9 months, I assume his problem is either solved, or he tragically took his own life after realising that no one would ever understand him, or his clock requirements.

Kein
17-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Alright, I'd like to resurrect this thread instead of making another junk one.

My question is a bit different, though. I need a simple timer-tool that can overlay the data over DX9 (and possibly DX10-11) games and has at last 2 hotkeys - to start-stop timer and reset.

X-fire/PlayClaw3 and other monstrous abominations is something I'd like to avoid.

somini
17-09-2013, 02:19 PM

My question is a bit different, though. I need a simple timer-tool that can overlay the data over DX9 (and possibly DX10-11) games and has at last 2 hotkeys - to start-stop timer and reset.

X-fire/PlayClaw3 and other monstrous abominations is something I'd like to avoid.
One of those egg clocks for cooking?

This thread is hilarious.

Berzee
17-09-2013, 04:00 PM
This thread is hilarious.

I can't tell if the clock-people's consistent desire to explain their motivations is a coincidence or a deliberate plot to make the thread strangely eerie.

Moraven
17-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Phone dock works great also.

Moraven
17-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Logitech Keyboards with LCD have a default timer app which can play a sound. Find it useful time to time.

karaquazian
17-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I have same situation as op.

My watch is automatic so if I take it off and put it in front of the monitor it runs slow.

AMD tools are your friend. Nvidia probably have something simmilar too.

Of course there's the odd game where making a clock is part of the game.

somini
17-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I can't tell if the clock-people's consistent desire to explain their motivations is a coincidence or a deliberate plot to make the thread strangely eerie.
Cloudclockoolanders (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CloudCuckooLander)

Heliocentric
17-09-2013, 05:22 PM
In burnout paradise you can make the sun mirror it's position in your timezone.

When the sun starts coming up, go to bed.

Kein
18-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Xfire/PlayClaw3 and other monstrous abominations is something I'd like to avoid.

Bump or something