PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious high ping.

Outright Villainy
25-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Hey all,
In the last few days, I've started got get very frequent ping spikes when gaming (mainly CS:GO and Tf2). Pingtest.net gives me around 40-50 with no packet loss, but when I start gaming it jumps all over the place, usually sitting around 150-200, which is pretty unplayable. Is there any reason why this would start acting up all of a sudden? It was fine until now, in fact the ping was usually 30 across the board. Maybe I could change some router settings, but I'm pretty clueless about that to be honest. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Feldspar
25-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Hmm, there are probably quite few things that could affect that, but my guess is that's it's probably nothing to do with your router, and, unless you've added any devices to your set-up recently, nothing you can do about it directly. It might be worth talking to your ISP, they should be able to tell you if they have made any changes that would affect you.

Outright Villainy
25-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Hmm, there are probably quite few things that could affect that, but my guess is that's it's probably nothing to do with your router, and, unless you've added any devices to your set-up recently, nothing you can do about it directly. It might be worth talking to your ISP, they should be able to tell you if they have made any changes that would affect you.

I think you're probably right. I checked into my router settings, and found another person had attached onto it, there should be only 3 on the network but it's now 4, so someone's stealing it. At any rate, when I disabled the wireless the ping stabilised immediately, so I think it's mainly an issue of too much traffic. On that note, is there any way to prioritize gaming packets first?

Danny252
25-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I think you're probably right. I checked into my router settings, and found another person had attached onto it, there should be only 3 on the network but it's now 4, so someone's stealing it.

Network passwords ftw.

is there any way to prioritize gaming packets first?

As far as I know the interwebs has no method for prioritising packets.

Outright Villainy
25-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Network passwords ftw.

As far as I know the interwebs has no method for prioritising packets.
There is a default password, but yeah i'll be changing that. For now I'm just turning off the wireless and pretending I know nothing. A man's gotta game!