PDA

View Full Version : Favourite WTF Moment from PC gaming?

christ87
27-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Ive been racking my brain the last few days over some of the weirdest WTF moments i can remember in PC gaming history, some recents for me including meeting the Slender man, most of Silent Hill 4 (those gliding ghosts among many other things!!) every bit of Clive Barkers Jericho....and Meeting Alma in F.E.A.R! Whats your anything thats either messed up or just plain Bizarre!

Anthile
27-09-2012, 11:40 AM
That would be the legendary 36 Lessons of Vivec (http://www.imperial-library.info/content/36-lessons-vivec).

soldant
27-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

Kadayi
27-09-2012, 12:41 PM
A particular incident in Spec Ops the line springs to mind. Not the one most people think of, but one involving the DJ.

Logan Booker
27-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Gaming WTF? Any time I've lost hours or days of progress from a corrupted save. I've played not one, but two games of co-op System Shock 2 where I've been about a third of the way in and one player's save just died. Sadly, you need both to reload a co-op game, and copying one player's good save over the other's bad one just made things... odd.

Two months ago I spent an entire week coding a saving system, so I know it's not an easy thing to get perfect, but nothing quite matches that empty feeling when you finally accept all the effort has been consigned to digital oblivion.

Hypernetic
27-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Just now in FTL when I was THIS close to getting the slug cruiser and my ion bomb decided to miss 7 times in a row and so I couldn't disable it's FTL before it jumped and I lost my chance at getting it. I alt-F4d HARD. I am mad.

db1331
27-09-2012, 03:46 PM
In BioShock (Spoilers?), I was completely blindsided by the Atlas/Fontaine ruse, and the whole "Would you kindly" brainwashing revelation. That, and I had been harvesting Little Sisters the whole game like a heartless bastard. When they dumped me off in the nursery with all the Little Sisters playing with their toy blocks and whatnot, it was the biggest guilt trip a game ever set me on. I have never harvested a Little Sister since that point.

Herzog
27-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Finding John Romeros head on a stick in Doom2!

Sparkasaurusmex
27-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Really might want a spoiler warning there ^
edit: db1331

Unaco
27-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Yoshimo!!!

TillEulenspiegel
27-09-2012, 04:58 PM
The first time you get to the end of X-COM and find out the alien base is in Cydonia.

I love fiction that draws from real mythology. It's so much more effective at being creepy.

db1331
27-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Really might want a spoiler warning there ^
edit: db1331

Did you miss "(Spoilers?)" after the first two words of my post?

fiddlesticks
27-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm not sure if I should even mention Monkey Island 2, considering just about any moment in that game could be considered utterly bizarre, but I feel this scene in particular takes the cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHgRlsOvN3M

Oshada
27-09-2012, 05:44 PM
The 'crash' in Arkham Asylum.

Vandelay
27-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Yes! That was a fantastic moment. Even when it started playing the cutscene I thought that it had bugged out on me in some bizarre fashion. I'm surprised more games haven't broken the fourth wall like that before.

Nikas
27-09-2012, 05:59 PM
when i was playing dwarf fortress and goblins was siegeing my fotress and then my legendary wrestler came to beat them up, but one goblin shot him in spine and then he was lying on bed useless all time
he wasn't even hauler then lol

db1331
27-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes! That was a fantastic moment. Even when it started playing the cutscene I thought that it had bugged out on me in some bizarre fashion. I'm surprised more games haven't broken the fourth wall like that before.

I love all that stuff. Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube was full of it, and even after a dozen times, it would still sometimes trick me for just a second.

Lukasz
27-09-2012, 07:05 PM

i just don't remember it. goddamn. i heard about it and i beat AA (on PC) but i just don't remember it.

aaaa!
pisses me off :D

Rauten
27-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks to the What Are You Playing thread, I've remembered a WTF moment:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. The Voermann sisters. If you've played, you know what I'm talking about.

LTK
28-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Portal 2. Enough said.

Mohorovicic
28-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Portal 2. Enough said.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITOrKb5HP6s

Silent Hill got nothing on this.

Henke
28-09-2012, 06:55 AM
i just don't remember it. goddamn. i heard about it and i beat AA (on PC) but i just don't remember it.

aaaa!
pisses me off :D

I had forgotten about it as well, had to youtube "arkham asylum crash" to refresh my memory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhtTF26KeE

Oh yeah, that was indeed an awesome part. Assassin's Creed had a similar part where the game really started lagging towards the end of a mission, I thought my XBox was overheating but then I ended the mission I was informed that the Animus was overheating.

Another great fourth wall breaking incident: Max Payne, having been drugged, starts thinking he's nothing but a character in a video game. Funny as hell it was the worst thing he could imagine.

LTK
28-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITOrKb5HP6s

Silent Hill got nothing on this.
You must have forgotten what part I'm talking about.

Velko
28-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Haven't played Arkham Asylum, but this discussion brought into my mind a moment from Saints Row 3, when you're fighting baddies in cyberspace (which exists within the computer game world, which in itself is funny): suddenly it "crashes" and turns into a text-only interactive fiction. Sheer brilliance, that one, and one of the best WTF moments in my gaming career.

RogerMellie
28-09-2012, 11:07 AM
The Walking Dead has a few things in there that had that effect on me. Ep 3 in particular had one that got a big reaction. Spoiler: Carly's death - I kind of saw it coming a few seconds beforehand as the crazy lady got more and more agitated. There was a big part of my brain that said that they wouldn't just kill her in cold blood like that, it's a video game right?? After what happened in episode 2 I'm not sure what that part of my brain was thinking.

In terms of other games, the thing that comes to mind in a making-me-feel-proud-of-myself way was the end of Portal 1 when the game changes its structure from room to room puzzles to the AI being against you. The bit where it turns a corner and you have to portal to avoid the slab or be pushed into the fire. I had no idea what was coming as I'd somehow avoided any and all spoilers so getting past it first time coupled with Glados's reaction was perfect. Can't spoil Portal 1 surely?

coldvvvave
28-09-2012, 12:28 PM
In a good way: movie theater from Cryostasis. If you played, you probably remember.

In a bad way: lots of things. Mostly glitches and bad design choices.

In a RETRO way: Corridor 7, an old mediocre FPS had a great moment. At some point game introduces a new kind of enemy - shapeshifting humanoid reptiles, sometimes they masqueraded as pieces of furniture, one or maybe two at a time. So, once I entered a big room like a conference hall and there were tens of chairs in rows, I didn't expect there to be more then a couple of lizard guys, actually I never expected anyone because there were no enemies right from the start. Yep, ALL of the chairs were shapeshifters and they attacked me when I was almost near the exit.

At least thats how I remember it, I was eight years old.

Tikey
28-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Haven't played Arkham Asylum, but this discussion brought into my mind a moment from Saints Row 3, when you're fighting baddies in cyberspace (which exists within the computer game world, which in itself is funny): suddenly it "crashes" and turns into a text-only interactive fiction. Sheer brilliance, that one, and one of the best WTF moments in my gaming career.

The Saints Flow moment in the DLC was so bizarre, specially as I was playing coop. So many laughs were heard that day.

Battle Programmer Spike
28-09-2012, 10:56 PM
The Saints Flow moment in the DLC was so bizarre, specially as I was playing coop. So many laughs were heard that day.

The bouncing car was the best wtf moment of 'em.

mashakos
28-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Getting massaged *literally* by Naomi after the torture scene in MGS :)

Bankrotas
28-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Beating this http://carmageddon.wikia.com/wiki/Pitbull#Carmageddon_II with this http://carmageddon.wikia.com/wiki/Buzz_Lightweight in a head on fight without granite buff.

mrki
29-09-2012, 10:57 AM
One of the best ones for me was when I checked youtube solutions of some Spacechem levels (that I thought I managed quite well). Mind was blown that day.

Colonel J
29-09-2012, 11:04 AM
One of the best ones for me was when I checked youtube solutions of some Spacechem levels (that I thought I managed quite well). Mind was blown that day.

Yeah, this. It's the same feeling you got when you'd been quietly confident you'd aced an exam at school, only to find out you only just scraped a pass.

Mindwedge
30-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Portal 2 when the puzzle spaces got massive.

RedRobin
30-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Portal 2. Enough said.

Portal 2 ... yeah I agree :D

RedRobin
30-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Also....... Probably Really bad indie games.. like "WTF? Why do people play this game!?"

Tikey
30-09-2012, 01:13 AM
The bouncing car was the best wtf moment of 'em.

For context. We were cruising around the city in saints row the third when the car suddenly thought it was in pinball mode and started bouncing like in the famous Carmaggedon mode.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541803062933727951/C4165EBA1E472D39EA28222AA052A67BFDA1BAA2/

coldvvvave
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Not favourite but definetly WTF moment happened to me when I was reading BF3 guns description. They say AKSU is nicknamed "Norinco". Yes, apparently Russian Army uses a Chinese copy of AKSU. This was so strange I actually stared at the screen for almost a minute. FFs, factcheck a bit, I can tell half a dozen Russian nicknames for AKSU and they include the one that is common among American weapon enthusiasts?

Stense
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Listening to the Milkman's conspiracy theories in Psychonauts, as well as Milla's nightmare room (although that might be more of a horrifying than what the fuck moment).

Romancing Garrus in Mass Effect 2 took me by surprise. I was just pressing the nice options in conversation with him and Shepard suddenly starts flirting with him and he flirts back. I was giggling with confused glee at the silliness of it all.

Boris
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
SPOILER for Blue Planet: War in Heaven (a Freespace 2 mod)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOKVguQpaY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOKVguQpaY)

At 14 minutes in.

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Too many too mention, but Dead Space has given me a few scary WTF's