PDA

View Full Version : Hawken Aplha live!

TechnicalBen
28-09-2012, 07:45 AM
I felt a disturbance in the force. On checking my emails I see the Hawken Alpha is now letting in new testers? http://www.playhawken.com/enlist/
I think.
Not checked it just yet. Clicked the website and download just this second.
(Edit. Checked it now, it's not open yet. :( Just a second run of Alpha tests but you can still apply)

[edit]
Ah. Seems there is a NDA. So I won't ask questions, just show that others can enter in the Alpha still. I'll check the NDA first before posting anything. Thanks.

Hypernetic
28-09-2012, 08:13 AM
There is an NDA and it's a closed alpha test.

TechnicalBen
28-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Yep. Saw that after the excitement of getting an email. My mistake (although I never actually posted anything other than "yey alpha! :P ). So if a mod wishes to delete the thread feel free to. I'll look back to the game when it's open. I think there is already a thread for the video and game details that have been released.

Isometric
28-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I was pretty surprised to get in, totally forgot I signed up. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, rather impressed.

Donjo
28-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Forgot about this... just checked my email.... excited!

Smashbox
28-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Alpha? Isn't this out in less than 3 months?

Rauten
28-09-2012, 03:55 PM
It's out in 3 months as an open Beta, not as a full fledged commercial game (though I doubt that will prevent them for starting up their microtransaction scheme).

Winged Nazgul
28-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Open betas are usually the same as release for F2P games.

Rauten
28-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Open betas are usually the same as release for F2P games.

Yup; I'd like to make a comment relevant to alpha, beta and this game, but the NDA doesn't allow me to.

bonkers
28-09-2012, 04:07 PM
12.12.12 is only open beta afaik. Not necessarily release.

Kinda fun, but not really getting the fun out of it I hoped to. /imho it adds too little to nothing to the fps formula, it's "just" a shooter with fast mechs. There is nothing particularly different about the game except sitting in a mech. Still, it's a nice mix of different shooter elemts and has nice gamemodes I would love to see more used in other shooters. And I am not saying that it is bad or nobody should enjoy it, quiet the contrary! But for me it's just nothing I cannot get from other games. It just has to compete with so many other F2P shooters/games, there is not enough time to play them all and Hawken just doesn't offer me enough interesting things to keep me around.

You should check it out and try it once you have the chance to. It's a interesting blend of different things that will find it's audience for sure. It's just not for me.

(And yeah, yeah NDA and stuff. Don't care as long as I don't say anything that would be unfair to the games state or spoil it. Not that there is already plenty of "leaked" alpha footage in the web if you know where to look. And I really don't see why having such a strict NDA with a f2p game where people really don't care about their accounts as long as they haven't invested any money into them... And if they really want to ban my account (which they wont because there is no link between this account and my Hawken account except my IP) for not liking the game above everything else, well they are free to do so ;))

Spider Jerusalem
28-09-2012, 04:08 PM
as the resident motherfucker who doesn't care about the nda at all, feel free to ask me questions.

Smashbox
28-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Does the game run on my computer?

If you want, you can just send me the whole thing so I can test it.

bonkers
28-09-2012, 04:49 PM
What's your setup? Everything with more then two cores (and mid to higher-class gpu) is fine. It runs on dual cores too, but wont be very pretty to look at.

SirDavies
28-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Yay! I got in!. I can't seem to find any games though. The tutorial was alright :I

Smashbox
28-09-2012, 05:02 PM
*Cough* Nope, I think you've got to send me it to be sure. *Cough*

Patrick Swayze
28-09-2012, 05:03 PM
It's out in 3 months as an open Beta, not as a full fledged commercial game (though I doubt that will prevent them for starting up their microtransaction scheme).

Anyone would think they want paying for their work...

Rauten
28-09-2012, 05:17 PM
*Cough* Nope, I think you've got to send me it to be sure. *Cough*

If you're willing to pay international shipping costs...

Anyone would think they want paying for their work...

Yeah I know, who do they think they are?!

Yay! I got in!. I can't seem to find any games though. The tutorial was alright :I

I played just fine yesterday, easily got into a match.

Patrick Swayze
28-09-2012, 05:36 PM
So Hawken... It's bit fucking good.

Even loathed to say its better than Mechwarrior online.

Played mostly deathmatch, and haven't had this much fun since Halo1, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 99 for DM style gameplay.

bonkers
28-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Even loathed to say its better than Mechwarrior online.

Played mostly deathmatch, and haven't had this much fun since Halo1, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 99 for DM style gameplay.
Which is like saying to love run-and-gun-quickscope shooters and therefore Call of Duty is better then Tribes Ascend. Which in it's core is right, but yet a silly thing to say.

Spider Jerusalem
28-09-2012, 07:48 PM

shipped. look for the hatbox without a hat in it.

Patrick Swayze
28-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Which is like saying to love run-and-gun-quickscope shooters and therefore Call of Duty is better then Tribes Ascend. Which in it's core is right, but yet a silly thing to say.

In english plz

Hypernetic
28-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I think he's trying to say that quake and UT are the same thing as COD and that he thinks COD is a better game than Tribes even though he know's it makes him seem like an asshole for saying it.

ado
29-09-2012, 12:56 AM
I played a few hours of Hawken tonight and I am thrilled with it so far. It made the deathmach and team deathmach experience exciting for me again and the capture point mode they have is great as well (although the map is still in a very rough state).

Not sure how the upgrade system will end up working, but the core game that they have in this alpha is just fantastic.

johnki
29-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Alright, since I've played MWO and Hawken, I'm going to sum this up in the easiest way I possibly can.

Hawken is awesome. MWO is just good.

Hawken is NOT, and I repeat, NOT just a first-person shooter with a mech skin, like a lot of people thought it would be.

MWO is a lot closer to a "mech simulation", than Hawken, but Hawken feels more visceral. The systems work drastically differently, but I'm not sure how much I can say before this post gets deleted.

When it comes down to it, though, neither of them really capture that feeling of really being in a mech as well as I'd hoped, but Hawken certainly does it better by being a bit more exciting.

One thing that really irritates me about mech games in general is how weak all of the weapons ultimate feel. If I pummel another mech with a barrage of rockets, I expect the mech to go down. But it never does. The way I envision them, they're just giant walking tanks. Made of the same metals and all. Missiles should really do more damage.

Hypernetic
29-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Alright, since I've played MWO and Hawken, I'm going to sum this up in the easiest way I possibly can.

Hawken is awesome. MWO is just good.

Hawken is NOT, and I repeat, NOT just a first-person shooter with a mech skin, like a lot of people thought it would be.

MWO is a lot closer to a "mech simulation", than Hawken, but Hawken feels more visceral. The systems work drastically differently, but I'm not sure how much I can say before this post gets deleted.

When it comes down to it, though, neither of them really capture that feeling of really being in a mech as well as I'd hoped, but Hawken certainly does it better by being a bit more exciting.

One thing that really irritates me about mech games in general is how weak all of the weapons ultimate feel. If I pummel another mech with a barrage of rockets, I expect the mech to go down. But it never does. The way I envision them, they're just giant walking tanks. Made of the same metals and all. Missiles should really do more damage.

Weapon damage in Mechwarrior is based on the table top game though. Also, I'm not really sure why you would envision mechs being made out of the same materials as a modern day tank... especially in mechwarrior which is supposed to be taking place over 1000 years from today, they have lasers and energy weapons... That is like saying "tanks are basically horseless chariots, I envision them as being made out of wood and they should be easily destroyed by a flaming arrow".

johnki
29-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Weapon damage in Mechwarrior is based on the table top game though. Also, I'm not really sure why you would envision mechs being made out of the same materials as a modern day tank... especially in mechwarrior which is supposed to be taking place over 1000 years from today, they have lasers and energy weapons... That is like saying "tanks are basically horseless chariots, I envision them as being made out of wood and they should be easily destroyed by a flaming arrow".That aside, flaming arrows take down chariots about as easily as shells take down tanks, so shouldn't the rockets in that setting do more damage by that logic?

And I dunno why I envision the same metals. I guess the chances of new, tougher alloys existing by the time someone invents a mech that actually works seems kinda low to me. But 1000 years in the future? Who knows. I mean, several thousand years later, we're still using bronze and iron.

Overall, point is, it doesn't seem to do a whole lot, and that irks me a bit. The level playing field doesn't make it feel any less weak.

Hypernetic
29-09-2012, 06:40 AM
That aside, flaming arrows take down chariots about as easily as shells take down tanks, so shouldn't the rockets in that setting do more damage by that logic?

And I dunno why I envision the same metals. I guess the chances of new, tougher alloys existing by the time someone invents a mech that actually works seems kinda low to me. But 1000 years in the future? Who knows. I mean, several thousand years later, we're still using bronze and iron.

Overall, point is, it doesn't seem to do a whole lot, and that irks me a bit. The level playing field doesn't make it feel any less weak.

There are large missiles in the mechwarrior universe that do tons of damage, they have been in previous games but are not currently in MWO. The missiles currently in the game are all swarm type missiles (aside from streak SRM 2s) that do small amounts of damage per missile hit.

You also have to think about it from a gameplay perspective. Would it really be fun if everyone just had one shot weapons? There would be no skill involved whatsoever, it would just be about whoever locked on first and fired a missile. That would be boring as shit.

Mechwarrior is slow and methodical by design, and that's what I love about it. It's not about "WHOAAAAAAAAA 360 NO SCOPE BRO!", it's about managing your weapons groups, precision aiming, and knowing where to hit each mech chassis for the most effect. The game would be oh so boring if everyone was just sitting out on a hill somewhere with missiles.

In fact, the game you describe is basically BF2 with no vehicles and only sniper rifles. Imagine BF2 with no vehicles and only sniper rifles. Everyone would just go prone on a hill somewhere and wait for some idiot to poke his head out. Welcome to a "realistic" mech game.

johnki
29-09-2012, 07:00 AM
-snip-Steel Beasts Pro PE is considered to be the most realistic tank sim on the market. It also has pretty much one shot kills a lot of the time, from what I remember of it. Does it make it a bad, boring game? No. Does it take less skill? Hell no, it takes more. Then again, tanks also don't have lock-on mechanisms.

As for that entire part about game design perspective, that's a whole 'nother story, and I completely disagree with the idea that all games should be designed based on "what a game would do."

I'm not saying one missile should take down a hulking mech. I'm saying it should do more damage, have more of an impact. If you have a barrage of 5-7 missiles, and every single one of them hits, that mech should go down, no questions asked. Chances are that one of them exploded in a position that killed the pilot, anyways, considering the cockpits seem to make extensive use of glass. That doesn't happen in either of the games.

Sic
29-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Alpha? Isn't this out in less than 3 months?

A pretty small percentage of developers use the words "alpha" and "beta" correctly. I'm not surprised Adhesive might possibly be one of the offenders.

Hypernetic
29-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Steel Beasts Pro PE is considered to be the most realistic tank sim on the market. It also has pretty much one shot kills a lot of the time, from what I remember of it. Does it make it a bad, boring game? No. Does it take less skill? Hell no, it takes more. Then again, tanks also don't have lock-on mechanisms.

As for that entire part about game design perspective, that's a whole 'nother story, and I completely disagree with the idea that all games should be designed based on "what a game would do."

I'm not saying one missile should take down a hulking mech. I'm saying it should do more damage, have more of an impact. If you have a barrage of 5-7 missiles, and every single one of them hits, that mech should go down, no questions asked. Chances are that one of them exploded in a position that killed the pilot, anyways, considering the cockpits seem to make extensive use of glass. That doesn't happen in either of the games.

No they shouldn't, they are small munitions that aren't designed to penetrate armor. MWO follows the table top rules pretty much, they have to stay in the mechwarrior universe with the weapons/mechs since it's licensed.

Cockpits aren't made of "glass" either. Cockpits have much weaker armor than the rest of a mech, however, and with the appropriate weapon (say an AC/20) you can penetrate the cockpit and kill a mech outright with one or two shots. There are definitely really powerful weapons in MWO (autocannons, gause rifles, laser boats, etc) they just aren't missiles.

Patrick Swayze
29-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Hawken IS a mech sim, it's just very fast paced combat as opposed to the slowly melting your face off combat of MWO, and both are going to find their own homes inside my play time.

The thing about MWO is its only had about 10-11 months of game development as it stands now, and has thus been released far earlier in its lifetime, where as Hawken has had several years now.

One thing these two games and Borderlands 2 has made me realise though, time to ditch the 6950 AMD card and its shoddy support and get back a sweet Nvidia card so I can have all the extra pretties switched on. With Hawken and MWO being Nvidia sponsored they are going to get some serious physX support apparently. Particles GALORE

Hypernetic
29-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Hawken IS a mech sim, it's just very fast paced combat as opposed to the slowly melting your face off combat of MWO, and both are going to find their own homes inside my play time.

The thing about MWO is its only had about 10-11 months of game development as it stands now, and has thus been released far earlier in its lifetime, where as Hawken has had several years now.

One thing these two games and Borderlands 2 has made me realise though, time to ditch the 6950 AMD card and its shoddy support and get back a sweet Nvidia card so I can have all the extra pretties switched on. With Hawken and MWO being Nvidia sponsored they are going to get some serious physX support apparently. Particles GALORE

I agree with this assessment 100%. I like both games.

bonkers
29-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I think he's trying to say that quake and UT are the same thing as COD and that he thinks COD is a better game than Tribes even though he know's it makes him seem like an asshole for saying it.
Both appeal to a very, very different kind of playstyle and personal preference. If you prefer the fast paced TDMs style of UT, of course Hawken will be more appealing. That's what I wanted to say.
Making a comparison between the two games doesn't make a lot of sense because their similarities end with "they have both mechs in it".

And no, I haven't bought a CoD title since CoD2.

Goody666
29-09-2012, 10:46 PM
If you want in the "alpha"

Sign in
Top right hand corner redeem code "AlphaDog"
Enjoy (limited amount may run out at some point)

Hypernetic
29-09-2012, 11:29 PM
If you want in the "alpha"

Sign in
Top right hand corner redeem code "AlphaDog"
Enjoy (limited amount may run out at some point)

Why is "alpha" in quotes? Is it some kind of ironic alpha?

Sparkasaurusmex
30-09-2012, 12:10 AM
that code crashed their page :/

Sic
30-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Yeah, the code doesn't work.

In any case, am I the only one who thinks the fact that all the mechs explode when they die utterly silly?

I hope they change that (or have already changed it).

johnki
30-09-2012, 03:47 AM
In any case, am I the only one who thinks the fact that all the mechs explode when they die utterly silly?
A little, yeah, especially if the kill shot was a shot to the leg from a repeater or something. Though in general, it's a design choice from another era when things just kind of blew up instead of falling over. It's not like Hawken doesn't have the physics to just make them fall over (they do, after all, after blowing up), I guess it's just to make a kill more responsive and dramatic.

My biggest issue with it though isn't that it's silly, but that it causes my computer to slow down a bit for a second. And only when I'm the one that blows up, which is odd.

My biggest issues with Hawken in general, though, have to do with server stability and the fact that you can't make private rooms.

ado
30-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't mind the explosions (what kind of a person complains about explosions anyway?), but it would be nice if there was more variety in the way the mechs die. Like that's the one thing TF2 does better than any other game of this type. Shit just dies in a billion weird, awesome and funny ways. Still though, I've seen some spectacular deaths in this current build of Hawken though, but what this game does fantastically is that it makes you work for every kill and it's super satisfying once you down an enemy.

Also, this game is in ALPHA, dummy. Of course there are going to be server issues, performance issues, crashes, bugs etc. That's the whole point of these Alpha tests, to weed out all these issues in the current build of the game AND FIX THEM for the eventual release.

Mohorovicic
30-09-2012, 09:52 AM
A little, yeah, especially if the kill shot was a shot to the leg from a repeater or something. Though in general, it's a design choice from another era when things just kind of blew up instead of falling over. It's not like Hawken doesn't have the physics to just make them fall over (they do, after all, after blowing up), I guess it's just to make a kill more responsive and dramatic.

It's all about balance, or rather gameplay complication in general. If mechs didn't explode, they would create dynamic obstacles/cover/terrain on the battlefield, which would complicate things immensely both from gameplay and engine(or rather netcode) perspective.

It's same as with your complaint about the missiles - it's a weapon that takes no skill to aim(only hovering your cursor over the enemy for a bit until you get a lock-on), is almost impossible to dodge/avoid, and has long range. If it also did a decent amount of damage no one would use other weapons, they would be simply too good. Or IMBA as they say.

Goody666
30-09-2012, 11:12 AM
that code crashed their page :/

Sorry my fault should of said, it comes up with the error message for me in Firefox, works in IE. If it fails try a different browser as the website seems a bit fickle (though cant guarentee its still active as no idea how many people have used it).

Sparkasaurusmex
30-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome, you're right!
It doesn't work with Chrome, but in IE it works fine.
That actually gives me pause about this game!

ado
30-09-2012, 03:00 PM
It's same as with your complaint about the missiles - it's a weapon that takes no skill to aim(only hovering your cursor over the enemy for a bit until you get a lock-on), is almost impossible to dodge/avoid, and has long range. If it also did a decent amount of damage no one would use other weapons, they would be simply too good. Or IMBA as they say.

Well there's two kinds of missiles, guided and non guided. I love using the non guided missile, it packs quite a wallop and although on long range they're quite ineffective the ability to detonate it in mid flight provides quite a nice degree of control and strategy. The guided missiles I didn't like on the other hand, and they're relatively easy to dodge or get something between you and them to take the hit, just need to be mindful and not take them straight in the face.

Sparkasaurusmex
30-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Not trying to play hall monitor here, but shouldn't we avoid discussion after signing a non-disclosure agreement?

Patrick Swayze
30-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Not trying to play hall monitor here, but shouldn't we avoid discussion after signing a non-disclosure agreement?

It's a bit fucking good though.

It seems to be holding its own in garnering attention but I'm happy to evangelise for it.

TechnicalBen
30-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Non NDA related response is "It uses the Unreal Engine" I think that's clear in their interview stuff and at games shows.

ado
30-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Well first of all they cant punish anyone apart from possibly banning the person from their game/service. Unless we're talking about leaking, hacking and distributing game files etc. or some seriously disruptive shit along those lines.

With that said, if they're gonna go out of their way to punish me in some way for gushing over their game on a public forum then they're doing it wrong.

TechnicalBen
30-09-2012, 05:51 PM
You really have never read the internet have you? I mean, Sony, EA, they sue for anything. I'd not expect all publishers to do that, but I'm not playing roulette with the legal notices through the door.

ado
30-09-2012, 06:06 PM
You really have never read the internet have you? I mean, Sony, EA, they sue for anything. I'd not expect all publishers to do that, but I'm not playing roulette with the legal notices through the door.

No, I'm new on the internet. So please give me an example of EA or Sony suing one of their users for the breach of an NDA.

Mohorovicic
30-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I have reported you for breaching the NDA on the Internet as it is a crime

ado
30-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I have reported you for breaching the NDA on the Internet as it is a crime

*shrugs*

Too bad that being an asshole is not a crime on the internet, I'm sure you'd get a life sentence haha!

TechnicalBen
30-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Strangely, in this country it is. Quite a few have gone to prison over it (not that I agree or not).

gundato
30-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Violating an NDA has the potential to result in a lawsuit. That being said, you aren't TOO likely to get boned if you are being positive.

Of course, I still think it is a dick move to ignore it. And to have a huge discussion. Because while nobody is likely to get penalized for it directly, if other publishers/devs see RPS's forums as a place where people ignore NDAs, they are much less likely to work with the hive mind on closed beta key giveaways. Especially what with the assclowns in other threads who basically say "If they are letting games journalists talk about the game, I deserve to scream how much I hate it over and over and share my account with everyone!". But, whatever. The potential penalties will be stuff we never hear about and won't impact RPS as a news site, so no skin off my nose.

johnki
01-10-2012, 03:17 AM
I think most NDAs are a safeguard. In some cases, like MWO's beta, where you can buy into it, it's stupid and completely unnecessary. You paid for the beta, I don't see why you have to keep silent about it. Clearly you thought highly enough of it to pay into a game that will be free in the future.

Hawken is more reasonable. They're in alpha, they have a very restricted amount of beta invites going out (from what I can tell) and you can't buy into it.

What I don't get is why NDAs restrict telling people you're under the NDA. There are icons on your desktop. What if someone sees it in real life, on a feed where you're screen sharing, in a desktop shot, and asks "Oh hey, I wanted into that beta. How is it?" Is it technically against the NDA to say "can't say, I'm under NDA"?

Plus, who's getting hurt by someone sharing their alpha/beta status?

Then again, I think that may be why most of them aren't enforced too strictly.

gundato
01-10-2012, 03:27 AM
I think most NDAs are a safeguard. In some cases, like MWO's beta, where you can buy into it, it's stupid and completely unnecessary. You paid for the beta, I don't see why you have to keep silent about it. Clearly you thought highly enough of it to pay into a game that will be free in the future.

Hawken is more reasonable. They're in alpha, they have a very restricted amount of beta invites going out (from what I can tell) and you can't buy into it.

What I don't get is why NDAs restrict telling people you're under the NDA. There are icons on your desktop. What if someone sees it in real life, on a feed where you're screen sharing, in a desktop shot, and asks "Oh hey, I wanted into that beta. How is it?" Is it technically against the NDA to say "can't say, I'm under NDA"?

Plus, who's getting hurt by someone sharing their alpha/beta status?

Then again, I think that may be why most of them aren't enforced too strictly.
My assumption would be that this is a holdover from back when "beta" meant something other than "pre-release demo".

Back in the days of yore (so 6 or 7 years ago, I think :p) you would actually get emails and letters about betas. If a publisher saw you played a lot of games (and you did those god-awful registration cards), they might want you to help them beta test a new game. They'd mail you an installation disc, it was nice.
In those cases, saying "I am in the beta for X" might:
1. Tell people X existed (not likely, I highly doubt that ever happened)
2. Tell people X was almost ready for release
3. Tell people X was almost ready for release when it wasn't
4. Give people an idea of what stage of development X was in (if you only see maybe 1 or 2 people in a beta, it is probably closer to an alpha. If it seems like everyone and their mother is in it, it is getting ready for release).

Also, there is a definite difference between "Wow, X looks awesome" and "I am in the beta and I think X looks awesome". The former just means you bought into the marketing. The latter is an actual opinion on the game based on gameplay experience.

squirrel
01-10-2012, 03:30 AM
One thing I am so concerned, if the info won't breach the NDA:

Does any of you experience motion sickness while playing, either at the very beginning of the gameplay or maybe 1 to 2 hours into action? I have never played FPS like this kind. For the other FPS or shooters, I can generally tell if a shooter would easily give me headache just by watching gameplay trailer ever before playing it myself.

BTW any chance this game could be publicly released by the end of this year?

johnki
01-10-2012, 04:23 AM
If you experience motion sickness easily, you can probably just look at videos on Youtube and realize that you're probably not going to be able to play it. They are BOTH a form of first person shooter, using the first-person perspective and having shooting. Hawken has a LOT of motion, from the shaking of the mech and such, to little things like the cockpit spinning at a different speed than the camera (again, all able to be seen in gameplay videos).

MWO has much less motion, but it's essentially the same thing.

squirrel
01-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Hawken has a LOT of motion, from the shaking of the mech and such, to little things like the cockpit spinning at a different speed than the camera (again, all able to be seen in gameplay videos).

Oh, that's exactly what I am worrying, that fast-pace actions, which supposingly being one of Hawken's great selling point, will work against me.

Spider Jerusalem
01-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Of course, I still think it is a dick move to ignore it. And to have a huge discussion. Because while nobody is likely to get penalized for it directly, if other publishers/devs see RPS's forums as a place where people ignore NDAs, they are much less likely to work with the hive mind on closed beta key giveaways. Especially what with the assclowns in other threads who basically say "If they are letting games journalists talk about the game, I deserve to scream how much I hate it over and over and share my account with everyone!". But, whatever. The potential penalties will be stuff we never hear about and won't impact RPS as a news site, so no skin off my nose.
when's the last closed beta key giveaway that's been on rps?

follow-up question, what exactly is an assclown?

Hypernetic
01-10-2012, 06:33 AM

It could be any number of things involving asses and clowns, pick whichever is funnier.

Rossignol
01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
No insults, please.

/looks at ban trigger

Hypernetic
01-10-2012, 07:48 AM
No insults, please.

/looks at ban trigger

I wasn't, if you were directing that at me. =D

Mohorovicic
01-10-2012, 12:53 PM
*shrugs*

Too bad that being an asshole is not a crime on the internet, I'm sure you'd get a life sentence haha!

Haha that's true.

(I was kidding, in case you couldn't tell. Technically I was using an old and obscure meme, but same difference)

Hypernetic
01-10-2012, 01:05 PM
My assumption would be that this is a holdover from back when "beta" meant something other than "pre-release demo".

Back in the days of yore (so 6 or 7 years ago, I think :p) you would actually get emails and letters about betas. If a publisher saw you played a lot of games (and you did those god-awful registration cards), they might want you to help them beta test a new game. They'd mail you an installation disc, it was nice.
In those cases, saying "I am in the beta for X" might:
1. Tell people X existed (not likely, I highly doubt that ever happened)
2. Tell people X was almost ready for release
3. Tell people X was almost ready for release when it wasn't
4. Give people an idea of what stage of development X was in (if you only see maybe 1 or 2 people in a beta, it is probably closer to an alpha. If it seems like everyone and their mother is in it, it is getting ready for release).

Also, there is a definite difference between "Wow, X looks awesome" and "I am in the beta and I think X looks awesome". The former just means you bought into the marketing. The latter is an actual opinion on the game based on gameplay experience.

I missed this before somehow, but it's fairly accurate. There are still a lot of hush, hush betas/alphas around, but most of them are for MMOs. The most recent beta I think I was in like that was The Old Republic. I was in the beta dating back about a year before release, for most of the beta the most we were allowed to state was "TOR has a beta" and "I'm in the TOR beta".

I have been in some friends and family alphas in the past few years that had NDAs that restricted you from even acknowledging the existence of the test build at all.

gundato
01-10-2012, 01:40 PM

I think the subscriber club/whatever the hell the newsletter we get for giving them moneys had one a few months back. I am pretty sure I ignored it since it was an MMO (and probably british servers).

And an assclown is a clown who lives in your anus and periodically pokes his head out to look around.

Sparkasaurusmex
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm not concerned about lawsuits involving the NDA, but surely it's possible to remove users from testing for breaching the agreement. Anyway, it doesn't offend me or anything, just thought I'd remind you guys of the NDA.

johnki
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Gave MWO a second shot with friends today. It's definitely more methodical and requires more careful calculation despite a lot of the systems being the same between the games.

Both of them need a lot more variety though.

And my god, adjusting to movement in MWO sucks. It makes sense, but it's tough. I'd rather be set up with that expensive joystick prototype made solely for MWO than I would with a mouse and keyboard right now.

TechnicalBen
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Variety/content tends to come later I would guess. Although Alphas seem feature complete these days (well, almost, but is that not reserved for betas?).

Patrick Swayze
02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Gave MWO a second shot with friends today. It's definitely more methodical and requires more careful calculation despite a lot of the systems being the same between the games.

Both of them need a lot more variety though.

And my god, adjusting to movement in MWO sucks. It makes sense, but it's tough. I'd rather be set up with that expensive joystick prototype made solely for MWO than I would with a mouse and keyboard right now.

Variety how?

I personally think the combat holds up really well. Im tired of multiplayer gaming where its a metagame to level up as opposed to just straight up FUN.

And both MWO and Hawken are both super fun.

Hypernetic
02-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Variety how?

I personally think the combat holds up really well. Im tired of multiplayer gaming where its a metagame to level up as opposed to just straight up FUN.

And both MWO and Hawken are both super fun.

MWO could use more game modes (it has one) and more maps. Other stuff like more mechs and weapons too, obviously. It REALLY needs a new game mode (and the current one needs to be polished up a bit).

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Just me or did the alpha from Hawken seem like there was just too much going on visually?
i.e the screen was just too busy, too much to see and look at.

Maybe it's just because I haven't played an FPS lately lol.

TechnicalBen
02-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Nah, it's part of "F2P" I mean "marketing" I mean "advertising". Confuse the customer and they buy the wrong thing/too much. It's not necessarily on purpose, but if it's getting money in why fix it? (For an example, look at adverts in newspapers, or gouge your eyes out, both are just as painful).

[edit]
Oh, you mean the game, I thought you meant the website.

Um, I guess it's the settings/modern FPSs. So both. If you played Crysis 3 it was a blur/dirt/lens flare fest. Probably to hide the imperfections. No idea about COD or BF3 whatever as I don't play them. But some go overboard with effects. I guess in Hawken you could turn them down. The gameplay videos always looks so smooth and pretty though, but that's with super hardware I guess.

The smoke etc do add a nice effect to everything. The shake/blur/lens flare less so.

johnki
02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
MWO could use more game modes (it has one) and more maps. Other stuff like more mechs and weapons too, obviously. It REALLY needs a new game mode (and the current one needs to be polished up a bit).
This.

Hawken at least has a few game modes, but MWO doesn't, so MWO needs more variety there.

However, both of them need more mechs, more weapons, and when it comes to Hawken, even just more options for customizing the mech would be nice.

And Patrick Swayze, I'd be careful saying that, because even though it isn't implemented fully yet, MWO DOES have an experience system. EDIT: So does Hawken. I think Hawken's might even forego buying new weapons in favor of just upgrading the ones they give you with your class. And if it does, that'll be kind of a bummer.

TechnicalBen
02-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Wait? Your Patrick Swayze? Argh... (No need for me to exlpain, you'll find out soon enough)

Patrick Swayze
02-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Wait? Your Patrick Swayze? Argh... (No need for me to exlpain, you'll find out soon enough)

If you've been playing against one... no. It isnt me.

My tag keeps getting stolen since I started using it. My own fault for commenting on popular blogs and websites.

Are there PS's in MWO and Hawken? Utter bastards.

Hypernetic
02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
My own fault for commenting on popular blogs and websites.

Yeah, it's totally not because you picked the name of a famous actor as your tag, but because you use the tag on popular websites.

TailSwallower
03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
If you experience motion sickness easily, you can probably just look at videos on Youtube and realize that you're probably not going to be able to play it. They are BOTH a form of first person shooter, using the first-person perspective and having shooting. Hawken has a LOT of motion, from the shaking of the mech and such, to little things like the cockpit spinning at a different speed than the camera (again, all able to be seen in gameplay videos).

Except that game-related motion-sickness is almost-always FOV-related (hyphens for-the-win).

One thing I am so concerned, if the info won't breach the NDA:

Does any of you experience motion sickness while playing, either at the very beginning of the gameplay or maybe 1 to 2 hours into action? I have never played FPS like this kind. For the other FPS or shooters, I can generally tell if a shooter would easily give me headache just by watching gameplay trailer ever before playing it myself.

BTW any chance this game could be publicly released by the end of this year?

If I had played Hawken or MWO I would be able to tell you that the 10 minutes of each didn't make me think I'd have to worry about experiencing any motion sickness... But I haven't.

And yeah, Hawken is supposed to launch on 12/12/12.

ETA: Oops, I'm an idiot. Replying to posts from a previous page. Never mind me.

bonkers
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Except that game-related motion-sickness is almost-always FOV-related (hyphens for-the-win).
Maybe in most cases, but not always. I am also effected by any kind of head shake which is often used in FPS when running. It's not as strong as the FoV issue but I have this problem (for example) in Planetside 2 where there is no option to disable the head bobbing/shaking, although it only kicks in within about ~2 hours playtime. In Hawken I have not experienced this but this is maybe because no session I played lasted longer then an hour.

Also motion sickness is very subjective. My girlfriend cannot play FPSes for longer then thirty minutes without lying down afterwards, even in games which I already set towards my needs. It's just very subjective how your brain reacts. But for someone very predisposed I would say that (at least in it's current state) Hawken might not be a good game to play.

TechnicalBen
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM
If you've been playing against one... no. It isnt me.

My tag keeps getting stolen since I started using it. My own fault for commenting on popular blogs and websites.

Are there PS's in MWO and Hawken? Utter bastards.
Is it the same name in game? PS, in Hawken, yes, yes they are. ;)

Patrick Swayze
03-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Is it the same name in game? PS, in Hawken, yes, yes they are. ;)

No its not I'm afraid. I have different aliases I'm afraid.