PDA

View Full Version : Look, its nexus 2 my space bros!

Patrick Swayze
29-09-2012, 08:34 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

They're kickstarting thankfully, finally!

650k seems like a lot but hopefully us nerds will descend as we have done for the rpgs and rts games that have cropped up recently.

If they just showed more game footage from earlier videos I think the video they've produced would be better but hey lets wait and see.

coldvvvave
29-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I vaguely remember not liking the first game. Best of luck to them, though, space strategies sure are rare.

b0rsuk
29-09-2012, 09:40 AM
In related news, Blackspace is going to fall on its face. $78,014 out of $350,000 raised, 19 days left.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive?ref=live

Nullkigan
29-09-2012, 09:44 AM
The only thing I want from a sequel is a homeworld-style movement disc. Everything else is just gravy.

You can even bring back That One Admiral, just give me my movement disc!

RakeShark
29-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!

TechnicalBen
29-09-2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

They're kickstarting thankfully, finally!

650k seems like a lot but hopefully us nerds will descend as we have done for the rpgs and rts games that have cropped up recently.

If they just showed more game footage from earlier videos I think the video they've produced would be better but hey lets wait and see.

After the year this has been. Following the impossible DNF, BMS, etc etc etc. All we need now is HL3 then we can expect... wait... NEXUS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!! Woooohh!!!!! :D

Against my judgement and all that is sane, I backed...

Unaco
29-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Nexus 2 huh? It's not Homeworld 3 though, is it.

DarkFenix
29-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Ehhh, I don't know. I do have Nexus 1, I sort of enjoyed it, but not for long. On the one hand it gave me the sort of detail and control on a ship I really like, on the other hand the interface and user friendliness were God-awful. One one side the ships, weapons and such looked and felt pretty great, one the other hand the campaign was a massive letdown and other game modes were sorely lacking.

I want to like this enough to back it, I'm certainly geeky enough, but for every good thing about the original I can think of a bad thing that spoiled it.

rsherhod
29-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Make the movement and camera like Homeworld and then we'll talk. Both were awful in Nexus 1.
The rest was good fun.

Oh and more opportunity to modify your ship. For one thing, you couldn't undo individual changes you'd made, so make a mistake and you had to do the whole thing again.

mickygor
29-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm setting up a standing order to pump all my wages into this >_>

FriendlyFire
29-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Instantly backed. Sorry guys but Homeworld 3 is not happening, so unless you want space RTS games to just not exist as a genre anymore, Nexus 2 probably is the last flag bearer standing.

Sparkasaurusmex
29-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Swayze they need to use your title.
Nexus 2: Space Brothers

edit: Now I'm picturing the brothers being the old German guy and the "Kickstarter?!" guy

Tikey
01-10-2012, 03:04 AM
The only thing I want from a sequel is a homeworld-style movement disc. Everything else is just gravy.

You can even bring back That One Admiral, just give me my movement disc!

Stop reading my mind.

Pledged without a doubt.

ShEsHy
01-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes yes yes yes!!!!
I've loved N:TJI from the first time I played it (for me; space + spaceships + guns + non-American voiceovers + tactics + UPGRADES!!! + MORE UPGRADES!!! = one hell of a game), and I still play through the SP campaign every couple of months (bought it on GOG as soon as it was released so I don't have to bother with the CDs and because I hate Steam) just to try out different tactics and loadouts.

P.S.
I don't know if this is good or not:
$57,435 pledged of $650,000 goal
27 days to go

Tikey
01-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I guess this one is going to struggle to get to its goal.

ShEsHy
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Any chance of getting this piece of news frontpaged?

Jesus_Phish
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Any chance of getting this piece of news frontpaged?

It'll most likely end up in the Kickstarter weekly piece.

Tikey
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I hope it gets its own article. I don't see much future for it unless it starts getting exposure.

FriendlyFire
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

It just needs a bit more exposure to reach its goal, according to this.

Patrick Swayze
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Lets hope it gets it! I need some laserbeams in my life.

Tikey
03-10-2012, 01:59 PM
mmmmmm, It's not looking good. They should be doing more updates and promoting the kickstarter everywhere. This seems pretty much doomed if it continues like this.

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Apart from this thread I've seen nowhere promoting this at all.

Which means either news sites aren't interested in running a story on it, or the guys behind the KS aren't doing a good job in trying to drum up interest. Compared to Obsidian for example, they've been toying and teasing for weeks and weeks, then they got funded in just over a day.

allanschnorr
03-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I was almost sure it wouldn't make it from the start, even though I backed it. The goal is too big and they don't even have a working demo for the game. The first Nexus being well received won't result in the sequel automatically succeeding. Nexus is not as nostalgic as Shadowrun or Wasteland and they don't have anyone as popular as Tim Shaffer or Brian Fargo to bring attention. Look at Grim Dawn, for example: they had something to show and reached only half million. Banner saga got 700 thousand, but they brought attention to the game and got a good reception before doing the kickstarter.

Patrick Swayze
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I was almost sure it wouldn't make it from the start, even though I backed it. The goal is too big and they don't even have a working demo for the game. The first Nexus being well received won't result in the sequel automatically succeeding. Nexus is not as nostalgic as Shadowrun or Wasteland and they don't have anyone as popular as Tim Shaffer or Brian Fargo to bring attention. Look at Grim Dawn, for example: they had something to show and reached only half million. Banner saga got 700 thousand, but they brought attention to the game and got a good reception before doing the kickstarter.

Look at P.A.

Everyone who backed that game was begging for space combat. Surely this is good enough. Give it some time though. See what the devs do etc etc

Danny252
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Apart from this thread I've seen nowhere promoting this at all.

Which means either news sites aren't interested in running a story on it, or the guys behind the KS aren't doing a good job in trying to drum up interest. Compared to Obsidian for example, they've been toying and teasing for weeks and weeks, then they got funded in just over a day.

To be honest, I never really saw any interesting pitch for news sites to pick up on - the only angle I saw was "it's Nexus 2!", and Nexus was never really that well known (certainly not "Homeworld!"-level). The only things they seem to have are "ships have special abilities cos of Psi people!", "shiny graffix!" and "bigger ships with bits you can stick on!", none of which is novel in any way.

The huge target also put me straight off signing up for it - why sign up if I know they won't get that much?

mickygor
03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
The huge target also put me straight off signing up for it - why sign up if I know they won't get that much?

Because it's relatively safe in your eyes that you won't have to pay out if that's your attitude?

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM

No money is deducted from your account only if it's successful and even then it takes a few days until after the kickstarter ends. Good thing not everyone takes that attitude or nothing would get started!

But I agree with the rest of your point. Apart from being "nexus 2!" it hasn't got a lot going for it.

FriendlyFire
04-10-2012, 02:30 AM
To be honest, just being Nexus 2 is enough for me. I mean, what alternatives are there?

internetonsetadd
04-10-2012, 04:39 AM
In related news, Blackspace...

From what I've seen, with a few exceptions space-themed games generally have a pretty hard time of it on Kickstarter. Blackspace is doing better after finally getting more media attention, but RPS+PC Gamer+Kotaku hasn't made the difference everyone was hoping for.

Nexus 2 isn't doing quite as abysmally as Conquest 2 was doing when it was cancelled, but it's not looking good.

Danny252
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Because it's relatively safe in your eyes that you won't have to pay out if that's your attitude?

Oh yes, I know that - but it's still 2 or 3 minutes of clicking (I can't recall if Kickstarter needs me to input my card details every time or not)! I am, at heart, lazy - I admit that :)

chip5541
18-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, I did make a fan trailer for it. Not giving up hope until the timer hits zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZzScu9qLg

Tikey
18-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I did give up hope. I've not retired my pledge but I'm pretty sure they won't make even half of what they're asking.

chip5541
18-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Never give up. Never surrender. ;-)

RakeShark
18-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Seeing the pledge amounts so goddamned low make me exceedingly depressed and disappointed about my fellow man.

Patrick Swayze
18-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Blackspace failed ;__;

Guess SciFi gamers are an increasingly rarer breed.

StuntmanLT
19-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Blackspace failed ;__;

Guess SciFi gamers are an increasingly rarer breed.

Quite disjointed about Blackspace. I know this doesn't look good either but one can only hope...

biz
19-10-2012, 08:53 AM
people expecting working demos and flashy gameplay footage are kind of missing the whole point of kickstarter

RakeShark
19-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Y'know, Nexus 2 did have the tech demo in their pitch, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

TechnicalBen
19-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Y'know, Nexus 2 did have the tech demo in their pitch, so that shouldn't have been an issue.

True, they also had a tech demo 5 years ago. :/

I think in all honesty, dev need to aim lower on the single investment (not the long term goal). Even the Planetary Aniallation guys, while massive goals, aimed low for the actual content output. IE, "It's multiplayer, because an SP campaign costs another million on top.

That's probably why some of the smaller projects do so well. FTL for example. Not every Dev team has triple A back catalogs they can be certain will drive funding and promotion for a kick starter.

chip5541
19-10-2012, 11:47 AM

I still have the tech demo on my PC and it runs on Win7 with no problem.

Patrick Swayze
19-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Is this still around?

StuntmanLT
19-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Was it released?!

chip5541
19-10-2012, 02:01 PM
You guys got my little brain a work'in.

For those unfamiliar with Nexus I have dug around and found the original tech demo for what would later become Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Originally CDV Germany tried to shoe horn the game into Imperium Galactica 3 but it was not to be.

http://www.fileplanet.com/89817/download/Imperium-Galactica-3:-Genesis-Demo

Away from CDV Germany and now with HD Interactive a demo for the now named Nexus: The Jupiter Incident was released. There were actually 2 releases. One was a single player and the other a multiplayer. There server for the MP is long since gone but the single player is still just as playable as it was back in 2004.

http://www.fileplanet.com/145979/140000/fileinfo/Nexus:-The-Jupiter-Incident-Demo

and of course there has to be mods : http://arparso.de/nexus/forum/index.php

Nexus 2 info can be found below

Facebook for Nexus 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/322566457842122/

Kickstarter for nexus 2: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mostwanted/nexus-2-the-gods-awaken

StuntmanLT
19-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh. I thought that people were talking about the spectacular tech demo for Nexus 2

StuntmanLT
19-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Here is quite a good interview with Nexus producer about Nexus 2.

http://pixeljudge.com/en/interviews/nexus-2-interview/

chip5541
20-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Reported spammer

arccos
23-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I've recently starting playing Nexus for the first time, and it really does have a unique feel. Fleet space combat is so rare, and this game does make it feel like ponderous ships in space. But are there any real tactics to it? Outside of the missions that are actually puzzles, I usually just blob my ships together and focus fire a single ship. There doesn't seem to be any purpose or controls to flank, since you don't have free navigation in space.

But I really would love to see what a sequel could do. They really should have promoted the kickstarter much harder and probably would have made their goal. Get the developers on the podcast circuit, do interviews on the news sites, etc. Oh well. Hindsight.

Tikey
23-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Are you using the advanced controls so you can select targets for each weapon individually?

Also the game becomes more tactical later when more options are available. It feels somewhat dry at the beginning.

arccos
23-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Are you using the advanced controls so you can select targets for each weapon individually?

Yes, and that's a clever idea so you can work on hitting the shields of one ship and the hull or systems of another.