PDA

View Full Version : Fallout: New Vegas - Windows 7 64bit - Crashes on start - even in compatibility mode

Edgar The Peaceful
05-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Christ!

Just bought Fallout New Vegas and the DLC. Enjoyed the little entry video where you're being shot in the desert. Then..

Game crashes every time on startup - FalloutNV has stopped working. Changed both .exes to Windows XP compatibility mode but still nothing.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. ATI HD6750

Any ideas?

Thanks.

KauhuK
05-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Have you updated all drivers? Also download and install this just in case: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8109 and if those won't help then try looking here for help: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/112-fallout-new-vegas-pc-issues/

Edgar The Peaceful
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the links.

Looking round the web it seems it could be any number of issues. Were a refund easy to get with Steam (and it should be), I'd just send it back as I can barely be arsed to put the effort into getting it working.

A bit shoddy from Obsidion / Steam etc.

Mistabashi
05-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Same thing happened to me, just skip the intro video and you should be ok (the crash happens right at the end of the video).

The game itself is a little bit buggy / glitchy here and there, for me it crashed less than Fallout 3 but was generally a bit more glitchy in terms of odd visual issues and weird scripting & animations. It's worth persevering though, it's pretty damn good and much truer to the original Fallout games.

Edgar The Peaceful
05-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Mistabashi but that doesn't work. It does it's circular loading thing then crashed every time.

I've spent 2 hours trying every fucking thing on the internet and it doesn't work. Extremely pissed off. Every other game I have runs fine.. boo.

KauhuK
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Did you buy the game off of steam? Have you done the "verify integrity of game cache..."? If there is nothing wrong then I have no more tips for you :(

Edgar The Peaceful
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
1 file fails to validate every time - then it re-downloads the file - then it fails again when validation is re-run

Edgar The Peaceful
06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
For anyone that's interested, and for any searches in future. I've finally got it working by using a DLL that forces the game to run in DX9 and fools the game into thinking you have a 7900GS. You can get the file here:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778

I actually tried this last night - it launched but was so jerky as to be unplayable. I was also alarmed by the game seeing a 7900GS rather than an HD6850 (which I have)

Anyway, after a full reinstall of the game I retried the DLL fix and this morning it seems to run smooth. Phew! Thanks to those who made suggestions.

Kelron
30-12-2011, 09:46 PM
The first bot was quite sneaky.

Alex Bakke
31-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Very nearly clicked the link.

DigitalSignalX
31-12-2011, 05:57 PM
[Just before he gets attacked by a raptor] Clever girl.

Kelron
31-12-2011, 07:13 PM
It seems to have avoided notice by the moderators.