PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil Producer Is Getting Ambitious... Too Ambitious

squirrel
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
While they started turning Biohazard into some sort of shooter since the 4th installment, I didn't expect that this franchise will evolve into something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHp3RvqpHw

Less than two months before we can try out this game, but sometime ambition should not be realized if you cannot truly fulfill it. Seriously, anyone really think this gameplay is brilliant?

RakeShark
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Remember, you can't be too ambitious. So long as you don't say you'll do their best. Looshers alwaysh whine about their besht, winnersh go home an fook the prom queen.

TechnicalBen
02-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I just love his joystick wiggling. Does he drive like that too?

Jesus_Phish
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Resident Evil 2 scared me at the title screen. This looks nothing like that game at all. It's somewhat amazing to see how off the track it's become.

ZamFear
02-10-2012, 04:19 PM
0:53 -- Jet unscathed by mid-air collision with helicopter. Why waste time shooting at stuff when he's flying a jet that can ram things without taking damage?

Smashbox
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Less than two months before we can try out this game...

It's out for consoles now and people seem less-than-jazzed about it.

Sounds like a warmed-over 'western' shooter made by a Japanese developer. Not that Japanese devs can't handle 'western' shooters, but their track record isn't that impressive, unless I'm forgetting something.

Ironically, RE4 inspired Gears of War, which inspired a bit of the next generation of mainstream shooters, which seemingly inspired this, which reportedly might suck, adverb-edly.

Rauten
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Wow, this is supposed to be Resident Evil?! It looks like something I did in Saints Row 3.

Ah, "RB - Barrel Roll"; that's why it's so silly and surreal, it's their idea of a StarFox game.

Won't someone please buy what few worthwhile IPs Capcom still has and then let the company rot away already? Please?

mashakos
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Won't someone please buy what few worthwhile IPs Capcom still has and then let the company rot away already? Please?

That's how I felt (a long time ago) after Street Fighter II' XX Tournament Edition +++
Then the first Resident Evil came out on the Playstation. Ironically, that project was lead by a western director as I remember it.
Capcom, when everyone thinks it's finally down, always rises. like a freaking zombie.

kyrieee
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

How can they spend millions upon millions of dollars getting talented artists and programmers to create all that, and then not find a single person with a clue how to design a game? That video makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

gundato
02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
From what I have read, the Leon portion is rather decent, seeing as it is basically RE4 again. The Chris portion is "meh" since it is RE5 again. And the Baby Wesker (which is what I assume has you attacking an aircraft carrier, can't be arsed to watch video) is just crap.

RE4 was actually REALLY good. It captured the essence of the RE series while getting a control scheme other than the one used in Crusader. And it basically was the first game (and one of the few) to get QTEs right.

RE5 was rather "meh". It had its moments and it was nice for the overall plot, but Chris just sucks horribly.

If anyone IS looking for some RE-goodness in the vein of RE4, check out the CGI movies (Degeneration and Damnation). They are rather fun, although they lack any real scares.

db1331
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Ah, "RB - Barrel Roll"; that's why it's so silly and surreal, it's their idea of a StarFox game.

Slippy: "Chris, get these guys off me!"
Slippy: "Something's up ahead. Looks different."
Chris Redfield: "We need to take out that carrier!"
Wesker: "Can't let you do that, Redfield."
Peppy: "Remember when these games used to be good?"

Drake Sigar
02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Chris just sucks horribly.

Those biceps were the size of basketballs.

SirKicksalot
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

How can they spend millions upon millions of dollars getting talented artists and programmers to create all that, and then not find a single person with a clue how to design a game? That video makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

I think the problem is they found a dozen designers.
The ambition is admirable.

Squiz
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Hahahaha. Aaahahahaha. :) Niiiice. QTE movie attack on a Zombie Aircraft Carrier. Can it get any better than this?

Ravelle
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
It's Chris' Blood!

RES6 is getting a pretty bad load of negative feedback already, A shame really; The trailer and the demo left a good first impression.

kstress71
02-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I didn't know my eyeballs were capable of throwing up, but that video made it happen.

DarkFenix
02-10-2012, 08:01 PM
RE4 was actually really good in my opinion, kept the old feel of RE even though it changed the gameplay. I could see RE5 was taking the series quite seriously downhill from long before it was released; managed to bring myself to give enough of a damn to pirate it to try a month or two ago, managed to force myself to complete it once (as compared to enthusiastically completing RE4 something like four times) before uninstalling.

RE6 has looked awful right from the word go, and now I'm hearing that RE6 is bad enough to make people look back on RE5 as kindly as they did on RE4. Ouch. Looks like Resident Evil has well and truly jumped the shark.

Koobazaur
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
this looks like a playable movie... and I don't mean that in a good way :/

agentorange
03-10-2012, 03:27 AM
It's funny how the Resident Evil movies were made fun of for being brain-dead bastardizations of the games, with too much focus on explossssions and VISUAL SPECTACLES. Now, rather than the games learning from the films, learning what not to do, and veering far away from them back to the survival horror roots, they have decided to devolve and become more similar to the awful films.

random_guy
03-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Holy crap, it's got a 0.4 (PS3) and 0.5 (360) user score on Metacritic. That's quite a metabombing.

QuantaCat
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
RE4 was my favourite. It had just the right amount of tension, and RPG elements.

squirrel
03-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Holy crap, it's got a 0.4 (PS3) and 0.5 (360) user score on Metacritic. That's quite a metabombing.

Gamespot didn't review it positively, too. This is not the kind of screw up you will see everyday. Some heads are gonna roll.

Right from the start while people were complaining that you can't shoot while in motion in Biohazard 5, I believe that Capcom realized it and did that on purpose. They were not prepared to turn Biohazard into a total shooter back then. They just didn't want you to play Biohazard 5 as if it was another Gears of War.

It generally received positive reviews in Japan, but of course it simply is because it is Biohazard.

Two things Capcom needs to understand:

First, a game franchise is defined by its gameplay style. You have to respect that. You shouldn't be greedy to make a game which is, what you westerners call it? Jack-of-all-trade. That just won't work.

Second, if you have to include that gameplay, you have to excel in it. Take this jet-fighter gameplay for instance. It's just so casually implemented. Why you put it there to distract players in the first place?

Henke
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Seriously, anyone really think this gameplay is brilliant?
*raises hand*

Hah, yeah! :D I love it when games throw something completely from left-field in there, and I'm not a huge RE fan so I don't give a shit if it's bastardising the franchise or anything like that. Only ever played RE4, which was pretty silly (and awesome) as well. That video is the most promising thing I've seen about RE6 so far.

SirKicksalot
03-10-2012, 04:57 PM
This is less silly than having to run from the giant statue of the midget in RE4.

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Bah! It's not Resident Evil unless I have to rotate my jet's orientation using right and left and fly the direction I'm facing by pressing up!

Jet fighters in Resident Evil, ship battles in Assassin's Creed, zombies in CoD... I think they are just out of ideas and would be better off with new IPs

Heliocentric
03-10-2012, 08:40 PM
zombies in CoD

That actually worked well.

Finicky
03-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Talk about throwing an IP under the bus.