PDA

View Full Version : First Time S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Wheelz
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
At the request of some people in the Screenshot thread, I'm going to write about my first time playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (with the complete mod 2009) as it's happening.

Day 1:
Today was my first day in the zone. It began with me discovering that not only do I not know who I am, but that no one else seems to either. The solution then? to go on a dangerous quest to kill a man who probably does because the previous me who did know who we are must've disliked said man.

On the flipside, I met some people. they seem nice..
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030884870285/8CF9D2ABB0890CDA4886A513A8BF5E23EA9F2268/
After listening to the Russian singing for a while I was given a quest to find a guy and retrieve a thingy-ma-jig. Which went off without a hitch thanks to some nearby stalkers who seemed happy to do all the work and get none of the loot. Not even the belongings of there fallen comrades.
After returning the thingy-ma-jig to chubbybunkerman, and looting more corpses, I was told I needed to travel further into the zone to see a man about a dog. Or steal things from a heavily guarded facility. It was one of those options..

"So how Wheelz, do you plan on stealing a dog from a heavily guarded facility?" I hear you ask. Well see, their's this tunnel I found:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030884873552/827A55FA0300FDAC0DFF025A66B1330365A6F709/

But when I whisper gently in its ear, kiss its cheek, and then quietly try to enter..
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030884876135/BF0588ECB5AB5C6AD96EDA1B3E29B285F515F5F9/
It attempts to electrocute me :(

Wheelz
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
oh well, I didn't really mean the things I whispered to it anyway.

fortunately for me, just up the way is a bridge:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030884874759/C94B9136AE260D2558DCAC5F1D3D70465BAE1A16/

"Why hello there sweet bridge, you'll be my friend won't you? You'll let me whisper sweet nothings in your ear, and then slip right on und.."
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030884872512/7F8C4F60F774F22447A9E50ADD986499F222983E/

"Oh, I see you've met someone else."

After this, I actually spent quite a while trying to work out how to get over the rail way, as the only directions I was given were "Traverse the embankment". Super unhelpful, that.

after dieing multiple times to grenades and the electricity I decided to do more looting, which lead me into the north east corner where I discovered the embankment wasn't fenced, making crossing far easier. It was hear I had my first serious run in with radiation, which killed me twice before I decided to take the mans advice and use some anti-rad to get by it.

Eventually I caught up with a man who had information regarding that dude that previous me who knew who himself was wanted dead. And after exchanging information with him I went into a near by attic to sleep. It was at the point I discovered a few things:

1) That night time is really, really dark.
2) and really, really scary, and that the flash light isn't enough to save me from deformed dogs that I can't see.
3) That night-time can be dangerous enough to kill other stalkers.
4) dead stalkers have the best loot.

After making these discoveries, I decided to sleep out the rest of the night back in the attic, where I made a fifth and final discovery:
5) sleeping without eating kills you.

After eventually sleeping through the night safely I headed on up to the garbage heaps to spend day 2.

SirDavies
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM
That sounds awesome.

Stellar Duck
03-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Ah, you did it. Good!

I really like reading this. It's fascinating to live through it again, filtered through someone else.

If only I could get one of those MiB flashers and play it for the first time again myself. :)

Voon
03-10-2012, 02:57 AM
You have trouble getting across the railway? Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the experience but I'll give you a hint. There's a few openings at a stash near a train at the west of the patrol, albeit an irradiated one.

GunnerMcCaffrey
03-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Hah, in all my previous playthroughs, I'd never thought to cross the hill on the other side (anti-rads always seemed too expensive at the beginning, anyway). I love that it's still possible to discover things years later.

And yes, you might have got some loot by letting the other Stalkers do the work at the bandit camp, but... well, let's just say fortune sometimes favours the bold.

I'm actually in the middle of a game currently (this time, to the end!), a ways ahead of where you are... been meaning to post a wee diary as well. Maybe I'll do that, though elsewhere of course, so's not to crowd you (and prevent spoilers).

Wheelz
03-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Day 2:
The second day began with a hiss and a roar, both of which scared the bejesus out of me and made me want stay as far away from the Garbage heap as possible. Alas, I could not. So-and-so told me that whats-his-face is in the middle of it, and he's the guy I need to see about directions to kill the guy I aparently don't like.

So on I went, sticking to the road, ahead I spotted a group of friendly looking stalkers.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030899411775/B3CD16116C8732E22C10F9EE835F9AAB9C103B60/

"Hey you guys look cool, can I hang with youse? promise I won't loot any of your belongings! I know I only look like a rookie, but I'm telling you, I can loot like a veteren."
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030899405300/7E7F402BD7F109E077DE5F1A834A4CCB7AA51DD2/

"Wait a sec, why are you guys pointing your guns at each oth.."
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030899410207/F50082346CC7121ED5296FE4187CB43F108D3203/

Wheelz
03-10-2012, 04:33 AM
After eventually avenging my own death, as well as that of the poor stalker who had to get shot in the head everytime I restarted that battle, I was asked to help defend a pile of broken cars from more bandits. Bandits, who I now loathe.

"Why yes sir, I will help you destoy all of those bastard bandits." "Good! Now, I'm going to go and get myself shot in the face so you have to restart this battle as well. And because you're lazy with your saves, you can redo the last one for good measure."
"Thank you sir, that's all the reward I need." Said nobody.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983490313876439/E879D5072DCB06BD0A895F2E4B7AE3E099660AB0/
(Pictured: stalker guy immediately prior to getting himself shot in the face.)

The nice thing about big battles is all of the loot you get, and it was from here that I picked up an ak74su, I'd already managed to grab a shotgun off of earlier bandits, and the guards at the zone border had been kind enough to give me the mp-whatevers. So at this point, my bag looked like:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594731030899398376/8EC660A804A24339B3A6338C5F602D224AAD3A9B/

It was shortly after this battle that I discovered that the crazy high levels of radiation wern't a one-off with the train tracks, and that if I wanted to adventure around here I was going to need to keep a high amount of antirads and vodka on me, which is easier said than done. so off I went trying to kill all of the bandits that were even vaguely in my way, whilst staying clear of anything that was even slightly radio-active.

Eventually I made it to the hanger where thingymajigwhatshisface was residing, and after talking to him I was given directions to another man who may or may not know where the guy-I-must-kill is, and who was hiding somewhere near that dog that needed rescuing. Rather than go see him, I spent the rest of the day looting, and after completing a 3rd side quest, decided it was time to return to chubbybunkerman to recieve the rewards.
It was a quick run back to the starting town, as I only stopped to clear the annoying bandit/army dudes that were held up under the bridge. However, it was around here I learnt the limits of my carry weight -anything equal to or greater than 70kgs makes me unable to move; so I had to drop a bunch of useless junk (mostly food and guns) so I could make it to the trader.

After this I returned to the garbage heap, stopping only for a picture of the loft I slept in the first night:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/596983490313873061/20568C12F7D135013F5B9BC10A5512B2D5E340FA/

By the time I got back to the hanger it was getting dark, and because I'm still a giant wuss, I decided that I would cuddle up and go to sleep with the stalkers in the hanger.

Wheelz
03-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Sorry for the triple post!

@Voon, yeah that's where I eventually ended up crossing.

@Everyone else, I'm glad your enjoying it. sorry about the writing quality -I've never been very good at it. I'm treating this more as an excuse to post lots of pretty pictures anyway :P

agentorange
03-10-2012, 05:11 AM
We should have a Let's Play section of the forums, similar to the RPG Codex Playground, with a far larger limit on the amount of pictures embedded in one post. Good job on this, STALKER is one of the few games that I enjoy watching other people play.

ZamFear
03-10-2012, 05:28 AM
And because you're lazy with your saves, you can redo the last one for good measure."
The best advice for surviving the Zone is keep multiple save slots! If a plot quest bugs out, you will be glad you did.

Voon
03-10-2012, 05:56 AM
you're wearing a bandit jacket? dude, try searching the houses back in the loner camp. the roofs, to be exact and break some crates. you'll get some better gear than that. better yet, break every crate you can find there.

agentorange
03-10-2012, 05:59 AM
you're wearing a bandit jacket? dude, try searching the houses back in the loner camp. the roofs, to be exact and break some crates. better yet, break every crate you can find there.

Shhh. One of the defining aspects of your first time through STALKER is subsisting with awful gear.

Wheelz
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
you're wearing a bandit jacket? dude, try searching the houses back in the loner camp. the roofs, to be exact and break some crates. you'll get some better gear than that. better yet, break every crate you can find there.

I'm not sure if I should ask more about this. I don't want to break the balance of the game, and to be honest, I'm too lazy to go back to the starting area a third time unless the main quest is going to take me there anyway. and Well, I haven't worked out how to break boxes yet, didn't even know you could.

and Thanks ZamFear for the save advice, I'll make sure to keep a couple extra saves handy.

Grizzly
03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Since you are running complete mod, remember that if you press "S" in the pause screen, you automatically create a unique savegame.

So if you want to save, press ESC+S. It makes saving very easy (as fast as quicksave), and having multiple saves is a much more reliable way of saving then relying on that single quicksave.

I'm not sure if I should ask more about this. I don't want to break the balance of the game, and to be honest, I'm too lazy to go back to the starting area a third time unless the main quest is going to take me there anyway. and Well, I haven't worked out how to break boxes yet, didn't even know you could.

The same way you open wooden boxes in any fps game: Apply melee weapon. Rightclicking gives you a stronger punch with it ( la the CS knife).

Voon
03-10-2012, 08:59 AM

and Thanks ZamFear for the save advice, I'll make sure to keep a couple extra saves handy.

It's nothing much really and you'll get a much better suit for free later if you look around. Speaking of which, straying around the zone after you reach the Bar is always a good idea. But play at your own pace. After all, it's your first time

LTK
03-10-2012, 09:37 AM
In some way, I'd be relieved if the video game industry imploded on itself, because it means I can replay all those awesome games with awesome mods that I never got around to. Like STALKER.

Good read, Wheelz. I see you're opting for the silenced pistol; very nice. You should keep an eye out for a hunting shotgun, I liked that one a lot as well.

TailSwallower
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
/me walks into thread covering his eyes.

I think I should do the same thing! I'm looking forward to starting it, but... Bak'laag, He calls out to me!

Mohorovicic
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
and to be honest, I'm too lazy to go back to the starting area a third time unless the main quest is going to take me there anyway

You have potentially picked the wrong game.

kyrieee
03-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Keep them coming =)

I think it's more immersive to turn the crosshairs and the rangefinder off but that's personal.

TechnicalBen
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM
You have trouble getting across the railway? Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the experience but I'll give you a hint. There's a few openings at a stash near a train at the west of the patrol, albeit an irradiated one.

I also believe in my second (and last :( ) playthough I actually talked my way past the guards. :D

Velko
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Very nice! For some reason (possibly related to personal mental health...) I enjoy the plot descriptions the most: "Eventually I made it to the hanger where thingymajigwhatshisface was residing, and after talking to him I was given directions to another man who may or may not know where the guy-I-must-kill is, and who was hiding somewhere near that dog that needed rescuing" was just brilliant.

Wheelz
04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Day 3:

I started the day by setting out from my hanger with the intention of finding the man with the hole, and rescuing that dog. This meant heading west to the abandoned facilities/army base where both of these things were. As a result of all of yesterdays hard work and successful looting I'd managed to aquire a decent amount of anti-radiation drugs and vodka to protect me from the radiation spikes scattered through out the zone.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562772244593/FBE7222A4F992C4607658FA4E6FE8CB9683E1F5A/
(loot!)

When I arrived in the western zone for my quest to kill a man, and the quest to save a dog I was greeted by a stalker who looked like he had important information to share with me. Shortly after he started talking two helicopters flew over and I lost everything he was trying to tell me. Which probably would have been fine, if he hadn't bolted off down the road at full pace straight after. I followed, because I sure as shit wasn't sticking around to find out what made him run so quick. When I caught up I found that a group of stalkers were engaged in a fire-fight with millitary guys that had been dropped off by the choppers.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562772245762/C1AE38F989D38F5480D83C281C5FD46152728BD5/
(pictured: the fire-fight.)

After repelling the army and catching up with mcStalkerface I was sent into a sewer/dungon to further my quest to kill that guy that mebeforeIgotamnesia wants me kill. It was around this point that I found that I started to die more frequently than I previously had been. Thank god for regularly saving.
About 1/2 way through the sewer/tunnel network I saw somthing.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562772253990/FA3A4AA30664D71998BFFD870934151DFA23229A/
(pictured: somthing?)

"well, mum said not to judge a book by it's cover. Maybe he's friendly.."

Wheelz
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
oh bugger, the square's gone red.
"oh shit I'm spotted. OHGODOHGODOHGODHESINVISIBLE." "calm down, remember your training: just start clicking and he'll die." "OHCRAPWHYAMICURRENTLYWEILDINGABOLT." "deep breath you idiot, switch to your rifle and shoot him before he ge.." "OHSHITOHSHITHESONME." "Then switch to your knife and calmly stab him."
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562772248923/DB00B7C570F673D5BA12A6B89E4CE29A134B7E08/

The 2nd time around I was prepared for mr Invisiblemeanieface, and after emptying multiple clips and getting lucky with some questionable ai-door issues I managed to kill him. and then I tea-bagged him.
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562772251326/BC55E3084A0975E0489DA5AA9C75F9EED826EFB6/
(pictured: Mr Invisiblemeanieface.)

After attempting to loot his corpse and discovering he dropped nothing, I continued on my way through the sewer, eventually making it to the hide-out. It was hear I found a few things: The quest item (not very interesting), an AK that had been upgraded to fire faster, and a stalker suit. Just before I reached the exit, and after I'd cleared out a few more bandits, my vision started to get all blurry. And then my mind would leave my body and show me visions of a shadow that looked eerily like mr invisiblemeanieface from earlier. Not wanting to go through that terror again, I left the sewer as quickly as possible.

Upon reaching the light of day I discovered the sewer had spat me out in the middle of the millitary facility in which I was supposed to rescue the dog from. Aided by already being in the middle of the facility, I stealthed my way up to the third floor of the building with the help of my silenced pistol, killing only when neccisary.
It was hear my terrible listening skills led to dissappointment, as I discovered it wasn't a dog I was stealing, but some boring millitary papers. I took the papers, and after setting off some alarms, and dieing a heap of times, I eventually got lucky with more questionable ai-door skills and managed to escape the facility and leave the zone.

After a quick stop at the hanger in the middle of the garbage heaps to sell all the crap I'd collected, I headed on up to bar to talk to someguy about dudewhomustbekilled. Just outside the safe-zone that housed the bar there was a pack of dogs roaming the road, and by the look of it they had managed to kill a couple traveling stalkers already.

"psssht dogs. I've killed invisible bullet sponges, you don't scare me." I thought to myself, before being torn to shreds multiple times. Eventually, with the help of some automatic weapons, I managed to clear out all of the stupid kids and there dam dog(s), and make it to the bar.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596983562773599577/0F89E8966109958FA2F2D0035123795973F91F93/

"Ah, now this is my kind of place."

Mohorovicic
04-10-2012, 07:36 AM
*sigh* same thing day after day.

Felisc
04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Hey Wheelz that's nice. I've played Stalker multiple times but I'm enjoying this nonetheless.

Voon
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
I also believe in my second (and last :( ) playthough I actually talked my way past the guards. :D

They just love cash, don't they? :}

Wheelz
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying it.

Couple things I wanted to add: I'm playing with surround sound, and when I start the game I tend to turn it up a notch - so when I got to that first mutant-man I was proper scared already from the noises in the dark, the only thing I forgot to add to the encounter was the "oh shit why are none of my guns loaded?!" moment that happened in amongst all the rest of it.

It was day 2 before I got a good handle on the radiation thing, as before that I'd just been eating antirads/drinking vodka whenever the game suggested it, which is why I'd manage to get through my entire supply of antirads. As a result, there was a lot of really anxious moments on the 2nd day where I was trying to get loot off of the heaps, but didn't have the antirads to protect me - so I'd do a mad dash in, try find the loot, and then run out hoping the radiation would go away as soon as I'd left the area. Eventually I just scrapped the idea altogether and stuck to looting bandits.

Also, it wasn't till day 3 that I worked out how the agro worked: theirs a sound bar and a visibility (or it might just be agro) bar which can set off the enemy. This made stealth a possibilty, although a difficult one as I've found that A) my silenced pistol never hits where I'm aiming. and B) the view/agro bar can be a strange beast at times. The result of this is that I spent close to two hours saving/reloading and learning patrol routes as I tried to stealth my way into the millitary building.

ed: I also took Kyrieee's advice and turned off the crosshair and distance marker thingy, not for the added immersion, but because I wasn't using either of them and they were only serving to bug me/ruin my screenshots.

On the topic of those bandits, are you guys sure you're not thinking of the guards between the scrap heap and the stalker-town? Orginally I was told I'd have to pay them, but as I got closer they said If I helped them defend their position from mutant pigs they'd let me in for free, and then they went all "lol j/k" after I helped. But then when I was talking to the guard to get through he was all "Oh your here about the barman? that's cool, free ride for you!".
So I'm not sure what was up with that.

Voon
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Uh... I don't think those guys are bandits, dude. They're called "Duty". People like them, for some reason

Mana_Garmr
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
On the topic of those bandits, are you guys sure you're not thinking of the guards between the scrap heap and the stalker-town? Orginally I was told I'd have to pay them, but as I got closer they said If I helped them defend their position from mutant pigs they'd let me in for free, and then they went all "lol j/k" after I helped. But then when I was talking to the guard to get through he was all "Oh your here about the barman? that's cool, free ride for you!".
The military guys at the rail bridge in the first area can be paid to let you past. I think you have to make sure your guns aren't drawn or the get very angry very quickly. They also, as far as I remember, charge you every time you go through so it's generally better to either kill them or bypass them like you did.

Tikey
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Great read.

Mohorovicic
04-10-2012, 03:05 PM

That's Duty, not bandits.

They will let you in when you're at that point in the main quest. Otherwise you can just pay them(I think. I never tried going to Rostok beforehand).

Soldiers under the bridge in Cordon can be bribed too - despite the fact they are marked as hostiles they will not attack you and you can talk to their leader. But their AI is quite wonky and I wouldn't recommend trying it more than once when you approach them for the first time from the south.

Wheelz
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
The military guys at the rail bridge in the first area can be paid to let you past. I think you have to make sure your guns aren't drawn or the get very angry very quickly. They also, as far as I remember, charge you every time you go through so it's generally better to either kill them or bypass them like you did.

Ah right, that would explain why we didn't get along.

Velko
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm a little bit disappointed by the fact that it wasn't a dog you were supposed to steal. Documents? How boring. Stealing some general's chihuahua would've been something different.

BillButNotBen
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Did I miss it, or did you somehow bypass the first mission where you get sent to a compound with a dozen bad guys when you have only a crappy pistol and no armor? the point were i very nearly gave up so many times.

Kelron
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Did I miss it, or did you somehow bypass the first mission where you get sent to a compound with a dozen bad guys when you have only a crappy pistol and no armor? the point were i very nearly gave up so many times.

Apparently the AI stalkers did it for him. Which is an extreme fluke, they usually die in 10 seconds.

NecroKnight
05-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Really? I didn't have any problems with that mission and I also rather enjoyed it.

gundato
05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
It depends on the difficulty setting, what mods (Specifically weapon and AI mods), and how good you are at using "real" cover and ambushes.

That first mission can either be trivial, or the hardest thing in SoC.

Finicky
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Nothing beats stalker:soc for atmosphere and immersion (like, a meaningful form of true immersion, not the B grade "AAA" hoorah theme park horseshit in all those 'gritty' xbox games).
Nothing even gets close.

And yes make sure you keep multiple saves AND make sure to keep a save of every single point where you move to a new storyline or area.
Even with the complete mod the scripting and AI are often horrible broken and just reloading a slightly earlier save may not fix it.
I quit playing when the scripting/AI killed a main quest npc within seconds every time I exited some sewers before I could get to him, causing the game over screen. Once the immersion is broken and you have to replay large pieces of the game the game quickly loses its charm.

If what is left of the stalker team ever manages to release another stalker game I hope they get rid of the escort quests.

Diesel-
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I beat both SOC and COP multiple times. SOC is my fav FPS of all time and probably best PC game ever made.

Mohorovicic
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I beat both SOC and COP multiple times. SOC is my fav FPS of all time and probably best PC game ever made.

Now that's an... interesting claim.

kataras
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM

I will second that claim! Maybe I'll just add 'best PC game ever made out of the ones I 've played.'

Diesel-
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I will second that claim! Maybe I'll just add 'best PC game ever made out of the ones I 've played.'

that doesnot change that COP and SOC are 2 best PC games ever made

kataras
09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
that doesnot change that COP and SOC are 2 best PC games ever made

that's true!

Diesel-
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
that's true!

yeah. and according to Corrupt Mainstream media (VGA). COD is better. back in 2010 Stalker COP and Metro 2033 were highlight of FPS but both were overshadow by Black ops and halo reach.

LTK
09-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I never put games on ordered lists, but yeah, STALKER: SOC is definitely one of my all-time favorite games, and I won't disagree with anyone who says it's better than game x.

DaftPunk
09-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I can't say its best game overall,but it sure is best FPS game for me (SoC).

postinternetsyndrome
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Neat! Always nice to see people are still playing this for the first time. :)

Two (boring) powergamer tips:

- When you can afford to, completely ditch the vodka in favour of only packing antirads. The vodka weighs a ton and can really drag you down.

- In the same spirit, look over the weight of the different food types. If I remember correctly, bread weighs much less than the other types. Always have a stack of 5 or so and leave the rest in the personal chest you get access to at some point.

Overall, encumbrance can be a real headache, and prioritizing what to carry becomes quite important later on. As well as the two items mentioned, ammo can be a real baddie that you hardly realize is taking up half your carrying capacity since it takes so little space graphically on the screen.

Voon
10-10-2012, 04:14 AM
And always travel light. ALWAYS. You'll need that extra sprinting speed. A lot of it.

Wheelz
10-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Cheers for the advice guys. I've actually hit the weight limit a few times already, and I pretty quickly worked out that carrying around 900 pistol shots was a waste. I'll probably drop the vodka soon thanks to your advice aswell, as I'm sitting on somewhere close to 20 antirads now.
I'm also only carry two types of food: around 10 bread and 10 cans of whateveritis, so when I hit the 15 mark on bread I'll dumb the rest.

Sorry about the lack of a recent update, as I haven't really had time to play it this week, hopefully I'll be able to sit down and knock a few more days out over the weekend though.