PDA

View Full Version : Another "An Old-School RPG" Kickstarter this time from Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

Could you have any less of a generic name? It's like a bunch of buzz words that are popular on KS at the moment.

Their page also looks amazingly similar to the Project Eternity one in it's layout.

No doubt our very own Wizardy is the dude behind the $10,000 pledge.

gundato
03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I pooped out a 15 for it. Not too many details, but seems to have competent people behind it.

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Fuck yeah. This is the most promising Kickstarter after Wasteland 2, as long as they don't get 1.9 million. Why would anyone want them to divert funds to a spiritual successor of Anachronox? I hope it makes $1,899,999.99.

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 03:22 PM
My understanding of that particular goal is that if it's reached they'll both make a different RPG that feeds into each other. If it's not reached, they'll both work on the same game together. If anything you should want it to be like that and hope it makes a lot more otherwise he might get Anachronox in your Wizardy.

So it's not a case of the first $1,899,999.99 will go to the chick behind Wizardy and everything after that to the dude behind Anachronox.

gundato
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I think his concern is this:

1,899,999.99 - All to one project that is at least heavily influenced by Wizardry
1.9 million - 0.95 million to Wizardry-esque game, 0.95 million to Anachronox-esque game

In actuality, I imagine that they would share a lot of assets and what not so it won't be a 50/50 split. And, as mentioned, it will have less peanut butter in the chocolate, as it were.

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
My understanding of that particular goal is that if it's reached they'll both make a different RPG that feeds into each other.
I don't think they are going to feed into each other. They said in the video that they are going to be totally separate games in separate worlds.

If it's not reached, they'll both work on the same game together. If anything you should want it to be like that and hope it makes a lot more otherwise he might get Anachronox in your Wizardy.
Anachronox in my Wizardry? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So it's not a case of the first $1,899,999.99 will go to the chick behind Wizardy and everything after that to the dude behind Anachronox.
She's not the "chick behind Wizardry". I think she started out as a play tester and then moved into level design throughout two decades at the company.

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I think his concern is this:
And, as mentioned, it will have less peanut butter in the chocolate, as it were.

You say that like those two don't belong together!

Rauten
03-10-2012, 03:32 PM
You guys realize that John Romero is gonna work with them on this game, right?

Yeah yeah I know, weak, but someone had to say it!

Also, is it just me or does someone else find that woman to look kinda... horrifying?

NathanH
03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
If it isn't funded two days before funding ends, I'll contribute.

(That's an endorsement, btw! I never contribute to these things!)

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Among our favorite RPGs are Ultima™ IV, Chrono Trigger™, Chrono Cross™, Wizardry® VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, Planescape®: Torment™, World of Warcraft®, Diablo™, Ultima™ III, Beytrayal at Krondor™, Final Fantasy® VIII and Legend of Zelda®: Link to the Past™.
Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

Feldspar
03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

It does say favourite and not influential, though, so all is not lost.

Robert
03-10-2012, 04:05 PM
The page looks like a joke, I'm not sure what to think of it.

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't see anything promising here. I mean, I guess when it comes to KS's like this the big question is, "will they actually finish the game?" and this team certainly looks capable, but I don't trust them to be able to tell any kind of story.

NathanH
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
but I don't trust them to be able to tell any kind of story.

Hopefully they don't really try.

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't be much of a game world to RP in then, huh?

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Wouldn't be much of a game world to RP in then, huh?
Have you ever played a Wizardry?

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, and I remember fiction. I'm not talking about a Final Fantasy character based narrative, but an old school RPG isn't going to win me over just because I'm nostalgic for these mechanics. It needs to have an interesting fiction of some sort. For me anyway. Nostalgia is always bittersweet in my experience. I do miss these old school mechanics, but set in "Old School RPG" (which I realize is placeholder, but it does impact my impression) I can just imagine generic setting, generic tone, generic experience.
Anyway... who's the cynical one here? hell...

JackShandy
03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I love that they actually have a pen-and-paper ruleset. That's genuine old-school.

ferdy
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM
She's not the "chick behind Wizardry". I think she started out as a play tester and then moved into level design throughout two decades at the company.

She was the lead designer in W8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_8).

Jockie
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah, and I remember fiction. I'm not talking about a Final Fantasy character based narrative, but an old school RPG isn't going to win me over just because I'm nostalgic for these mechanics. It needs to have an interesting fiction of some sort. For me anyway. Nostalgia is always bittersweet in my experience. I do miss these old school mechanics, but set in "Old School RPG" (which I realize is placeholder, but it does impact my impression) I can just imagine generic setting, generic tone, generic experience.
Anyway... who's the cynical one here? hell...

I'm not that far into Anachronox, but yeah, if you know anything about the game (masterminded by Tom Hall) you'd know that is basically pretty fucking crazy in terms of setting. It's the game where you get a planet as a party member. The fiction is probably the most interesting thing about the game.

Oshada
03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
I think they might do something like the Golden Sun games, with the obvious difference of both games being able to lead into each other.

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah I think Anachronox and Wizardry have two very unique settings in the RPG genre. But I'm not clear about that guys involvement in writing for Anachronox.
What does a lead designer create? I'm ignorant about these roles in development... Is this a boss type person overseeing everything? I was sort of under the impression that they hire artists for things like writing and graphic design. I suppose it depends on the game?

So, honestly, I'm always excited about an old school RPG... but I get warm fuzzy nostalgia thinking about the game worlds of classic RPGs, not really the mechanics. Well, to an extent... an FPS Fallout did prove to me that changing the perspective can really mess with my nostalgic feelings (though perhaps FO3 wouldn't have done this if the fiction was closer to FO1 or even 2?)

caljohnston
03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
What the hell? Why didn't they come up with at least a provisional title?

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 04:58 PM
She was the lead designer in W8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_8).
No she wasn't. She was a lead designer. As far as I know she did the story and dialogue, while others such as Linda Currie, who had just finished working on Jagged Alliance 2, did the meat of the game.

I think they might do something like the Golden Sun games, with the obvious difference of both games being able to lead into each other.
Why?

Yeah I think Anachronox and Wizardry have two very unique settings in the RPG genre. But I'm not clear about that guys involvement in writing for Anachronox.
Tom Hall didn't write Anachronox as far as I know.

Jesus_Phish
03-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Why?

Because they state it as a design goal that if they hit 1.9M

" the endings of each game provide exclusive NEW game beginnings in the other! Import your crew from Tom's game into Brenda's and vice versa. The ending you create affects not only your new game beginning (if you choose it), but also provides unique advantages that you earn no other way"

Honestly man, do you even read these KS pages?

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Because they state it as a design goal that if they hit 1.9M

" the endings of each game provide exclusive NEW game beginnings in the other! Import your crew from Tom's game into Brenda's and vice versa. The ending you create affects not only your new game beginning (if you choose it), but also provides unique advantages that you earn no other way"

Honestly man, do you even read these KS pages?
What does that have to do with these Golden Sun games? That was my question. Did you not read the post I was replying to?

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 05:09 PM
As far as I know she did the story and dialogue

Ah so they do have a writer on board! I really hope they can avoid making this feel too much like a generic fantasy RPG. There's very little info on the kickstarter beyond the obvious stuff implied in the name "Old School RPG."

ferdy
03-10-2012, 05:17 PM
No she wasn't. She was a lead designer. As far as I know she did the story and dialogue, while others such as Linda Currie, who had just finished working on Jagged Alliance 2, did the meat of the game.

From the wikipedia page:
Linda Currie is credited as producer of Wizardry 8. Brenda Brathwaite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Brathwaite) was the game's lead designer.
As far as i know the meat of the game, i assume you mean the mechanics, is not the producer's job. On the other hand it is wikipedia, so...

karthink
03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Interesting pitch, but if I hear "Old School RPG" once more, my ears will bleed.

Still, will probably hold off for a day or two before chucking my money at them.

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
As far as i know the meat of the game, i assume you mean the mechanics, is not the producer's job. On the other hand it is wikipedia, so...
Check out the Wizardry 8 credits (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wizardry-8/credits) and then take a look at the Jagged Alliance 2 credits (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/jagged-alliance-2/credits). You'll notice that Brenda did the dialogue/writing/story while the likes of Linda & Ian Currie and Alex Meduna designed other parts. I think she used to write the manuals for the older Sir-Tech games.

Malawi Frontier Guard
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM
What does old-school mean? I don't know. Maybe nobody does.

internetonsetadd
03-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Edit: I need to read threads more thoroughly.

ferdy
03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Check out the Wizardry 8 credits (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wizardry-8/credits) and then take a look at the Jagged Alliance 2 credits (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/jagged-alliance-2/credits). You'll notice that Brenda did the dialogue/writing/story while the likes of Linda & Ian Currie and Alex Meduna designed other parts. I think she used to write the manuals for the older Sir-Tech games.
Thanks for the clarification. It seems her role in the wizardry series is somewhat exaggerated in their kickstarter page.

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the clarification. It seems her role in the wizardry series is somewhat exaggerated in their kickstarter page.
Yes. It even states that she worked on the Realms of Arkania series, even though it's a German CRPG series, just because she happened to have written the manual for the English version.

I'm not saying that all this isn't worth anything. The fact that she spent two decades working with Sir-Tech on various hardcore games might imply that she knows what the hell makes up a quality CRPG. If you read some of her interviews from during Wizardry 8's development you'll realise that she at least knew what was important. Whether this would ever materialise in this Kickstarter game, no one knows.

Kadayi
03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I think I prefer the pedigree of Eternity tbh (whom I've backed). This just seems to be trading too much on remote legacy and bandwagoning rather than actual promise. No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy, but frankly I think I'll hold out on the delivery before considering parting with any money.

Malawi Frontier Guard
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy

That's a good one.

Demiath
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
As far as spouting personal preferences go, I'd much rather want an endearingly generic RPG á la Might & Magic (which was always more Fantasy 101 than Wizardry with all its distinct races etc.) than, say, an edgy attempt at mature writing (The Witcher 2 comes to mind, in all the bad ways). Some of us do just want those precise mechanics and don't feel the need for any curious external justification in the form of "narrative"...

Sparkasaurusmex
03-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Well and I guess that's what they are pitching here, so my worries about writing might be misplaced. It's hard to write a poorly written game if there isn't much to write, right?

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I think I prefer the pedigree of Eternity tbh (whom I've backed). This just seems to be trading too much on remote legacy and bandwagoning rather than actual promise. No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy, but frankly I think I'll hold out on the delivery before considering parting with any money.
Well the pedigree of the Eternity developers is certainly much better. What we have here is someone who worked on the story of Wizardry 8 and someone else who created a western JRPG. But in many ways Obsidian have better pedigree than even Fargo's Wasteland 2 team. The difference here is that what Eternity is pitching is mediocre (to me), while what Fargo pitched with the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter was incredibly exciting. This, on the other hand... there's just not a lot to go on. If it was an attempt at a Wizardry 9 without any Anachronox elements then it could turn out to be a very good game, especially as there aren't many first person blob CRPGs around these days.

dnf
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM

So, just like all major kickstarter projects? Though i agree that this campaign is very poor, even for this kind of standarts, and even the codex is not buying it.

RakeShark
03-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I have to agree, they didn't do a very good job in telling me what they're trying to do other than "Old-School RPG" and name dropping games they did. While Double-Fine could kinda get away with saying "Old-School Adventure Game" as there's a pretty straight line leading to the definition, RPG is such an over-used term these days that it needs more clarification. I'll admit to never playing the Wizardry series or Anachronox, but I don't know what kinda game this is. Is it a munchkin game? A roguelike-ish? Gauntlet style? Fallout-esque? AD&D 3.5 throwback? A sports game with dwarves and loincloths instead of footballs and redcards? A "Didn't Legend or Grimlock already do this" dungeon crawler?

To me, they're going to have to put out another video or post explaining what the heck is an Old-School RPG, because I know our Wizardry is tired as hell from trying to explain it to us. An epic story? Permadeath? Aside from the turn-based point, all the definitions sound like the Mass Effect games. And I know that would gnash their teeth hearing that.

Wizardry
03-10-2012, 09:50 PM
To me, they're going to have to put out another video or post explaining what the heck is an Old-School RPG, because I know our Wizardry is tired as hell from trying to explain it to us. An epic story? Permadeath? Aside from the turn-based point, all the definitions sound like the Mass Effect games. And I know that would gnash their teeth hearing that.
There is no such thing as an old school RPG format. Both Ultima 1 and Wizardry 1 came out in 1981. To this day they remain at the opposite sides of the genre. So yeah, I don't know what this game is exactly, but my guess is that by "old school" they mean something kind of like Wizardry. But that might just be wishful thinking.

Jockie
03-10-2012, 10:05 PM
The video is pretty cringeworthy. Lots of them saying "Two for one RPG!" and looking pleased with themselves, actually nothing in terms of details, artwork etc. Although Brenda does note that they'd like to include cloth maps, which is cool if you like that kind of thing (but still tells us nothing about the game).

I'm happy to fund games via Kickstarter, but you need to sell the game, not a bunch of vague promises. At least Obsidian can point out a bunch of other games they made recently that gives an idea of the kind of thing they're capable of producing.

TillEulenspiegel
03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Character Extensions (Stretch Goal): Wrestle with the old-school favorites from back in the paper days - alignment, age, rank and randomly-rolled temperament.
This is worryingly cargo-culty. You shouldn't have those things just because you're emulating older games that had them, they should be an integral part of the game (ie, not a stretch goal) that make a difference.

I'm not especially interested in a new game that just mimics "old school" RPGs, like Grimrock did with Dungeon Master. I want someone with a little ambition to build on the good ideas from the past and do something better.

Stellar Duck
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
But hey, pay 10k $ and have John Romero deliver your game on a red velvet pillow. Who wouldn't want that?

ZIGS
03-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't see this one succeeding, I'm afraid

internetonsetadd
04-10-2012, 12:54 AM
100k on day one, thousands of RPG fans camping out on Kickstarter due to PE--it will probably be funded. I have a lot of fond memories of Wizardry 8, so Brenda Brathwaite's name carries at least some weight for me. However, I'd need to see more information about the game to pledge.

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
The video is pretty cringeworthy. Lots of them saying "Two for one RPG!" and looking pleased with themselves, actually nothing in terms of details, artwork etc. Although Brenda does note that they'd like to include cloth maps, which is cool if you like that kind of thing (but still tells us nothing about the game).

Yeah that two for one statement just makes it sound like they can just shit out another game, rather than build upon and enrich the principal project, which does make you wonder just how generic the titles are going to be. It would be nice to think the game was going to be a labour or love/passion project and not merely something they can churn out.

tjv
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I pledged straight away after seeing the names just to get into the early bird tier. Having now watched the video and read the page and all the comments here and on GOG. Will probably cancel the pledge if there aren't significant updates to it. Some updates about the actual game would be nice. Other than just repeating words old-school rpg.

Revisor
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
I backed it, if just for the input of Tom Hall. Anachronox is a very special, interesting game and we would be better off with more of these in my opinion.

I backed it only on the basic level and might increase it if they reveal more about the game.

Scumbag
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
But hey, pay 10k $ and have John Romero deliver your game on a red velvet pillow. Who wouldn't want that?

You could burst forth foaming at the mouth screaming "YOU MADE ME YOUR BITCH AND THIS HAPPENED!" before bludgeoning him to death with a giant cudgel made of melted down copies of Daikatana. That alone is worth $10k.

Revisor
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Daikatana was a good shooter with character progression, barring the first two levels.

MeestaNob
04-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Not a lot of real info here, and $1M is a lot of money. I think I'll wait until I see some screenshots or decent concept art.

Lacessit
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Daikatana was a good shooter with character progression, barring the first two levels.

Shouldn't your name be 'revisionist'? ;-)

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Had a look at the GoG thread and opinion seems to be that at best they might limp to their base target given the funding they've reached so far and the inevitable drop off over the rest of the month. I don't doubt they can make a game, but I really think they got their pitch wrong. Obsidian went with 'we have this idea for a game and would like you to help us realise it' where as these guys seem to be saying 'give us enough money and we'll make a game (or two)' The lack of a proper name doesn't help them much in that regard either, especially when that's their (overused) buzzword. I'm kind of hoping that they don't hit their target and then maybe rethink their approach and put up a revised kickstarter that's much more fleshed out. Also I know Braithwaite & Romero are an item...but the guy is not a positive sales point.

mrki
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Copy & paste from the comments on the kickstarter page

Message to Loot Drop:
As much as I want to back this project, right now it is way too vague for me to consider funding.
You have NPCs, character creation, progression, and party members. Great. So does Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age 2. What makes this an old school RPG? Your promised features are so generic, I can't get a feel for the type of game you want to make. What conventions are you going to give us, that modern publishers won't? What perspective will you be using? Isometric, top down, or first person? How will the game play? Brenda is known for Wizardy, an Old School first person party based RPG known for it's challenging difficulty and extensive skills and options, but Tom is known for Anachronox, a funny JRPG styled game. Well, which is this one going to be? (Sell me the first game you hope to make, not the two stretch goal games).
I'd love a Wizardy, Might & Magic type Old-School RPG since right now Kickstarter has Baldur's Gate style isometric RPGs covered (Project Eternity) and Wasteland/Fallout-esque RPGs (Wasteland 2). But right now I'm not sure if that's the type of experience you are selling or not.
I'd like to support this project, but I just can't right now with the information you have available. What style of game are you providing, that I can't get from publishers? What niche or fanbase are you targeting? How does this game differ from the other big name RPGs that are funding themselves through kickstarter? A little clarity will help. Thank you.

Their response:
Our options depend a lot on how much money we get. And what backers want the most! We'll likely post a video talking about them. Thanks for your comments!

If true, that would mean they actually have no idea what they want to make, but if they get enough money they'll ask around and see what people want. Which seems to be in agreement with the amount of information they've put forward.

In my opinion calling it a scam is a bit harsh, but I'd say they're just trying to cash in on the wave.

tjv
04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Probably not even necessary for me to cancel my pledge. No way they are making it. If they don't even know what kind of game they are making.

BillButNotBen
04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Am I the only one who wishes there were a few new-school RPGs? It's nice for those that like them that there seems to be a resurgence in old-school games on Kickstarter - but personally I'd like to see some people try something new or innovative.

There is of course room for both (this line added to avoid the thread turning into a new vs old derailment). But how about a game with some new ideas for RPG mechanics. How about a game with a setting that isn't fantasy/sci-fi. how about some shorter dialog based RPGs.

internetonsetadd
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Our options depend a lot on how much money we get. And what backers want the most! We'll likely post a video talking about them. Thanks for your comments!

Ugh. Making a fantasy RPG by consensus is bound to result in a game comprised of the peak of a bell curve of what backers find acceptable, meaning it will take no risks and deliver an experience that conforms to the tastes of conformers.

RakeShark
04-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Ugh. Making a fantasy RPG by consensus is bound to result in a game comprised of the peak of a bell curve of what backers find acceptable, meaning it will take no risks and deliver an experience that conforms to the tastes of conformers.

To steal/mangle a codex phrase, "The decline of Kickstarter?"

fiddlesticks
04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Am I the only one who wishes there were a few new-school RPGs? It's nice for those that like them that there seems to be a resurgence in old-school games on Kickstarter - but personally I'd like to see some people try something new or innovative.
I doubt we'll ever see much innovation on Kickstarter. When you look at their most successful gaming projects, they almost always rely on nostalgic feelings to gather support. People are more than willing to back you if you're selling something they know and love, but they're hesitant to show support if there's no real indication how your idea will turn out.

Wizardry
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
"Old school" and "new school" have nothing to do with innovation. Wizardry 8 was definitely an "old school" RPG when it came out in 2001, yet that game was far more innovative than other RPGs that came out around that time. If anything, "new school" means a shift from mechanics to content. So more characters, more dialogue, more companions, more romances, more story and more cut-scenes instead of deeper combat mechanics and an increasingly simulated game world.

You can go "old school" and stay innovative. You could make a "Wizardry 9" that improves on the things Wizardry 8 did, perhaps deepening the personality system and focusing on the chaotic AI of NPCs that they promised in old interviews. Perhaps revisit Darklands and make the combat good while keeping its realism, while improving the simulation of the large game world, perhaps by introducing rival parties. Or resurrect those RPGs that opt for an open world party-based tactical approach where logistics and careful party management is key to survival, and then actually include cities, towns and characters to meet instead of having periodic text dumps.

In fact, the key to innovation in CRPGs is to go back and revive what has been lost, and then build upon it. We're at a dead end right now. There's only so many branches you can afford to add to conversations before players stop caring (as they won't be prepared to play a game enough times to see even half the possibilities).

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I doubt we'll ever see much innovation on Kickstarter. When you look at their most successful gaming projects, they almost always rely on nostalgic feelings to gather support. People are more than willing to back you if you're selling something they know and love, but they're hesitant to show support if there's no real indication how your idea will turn out.

^Pretty much.

When Chris Avellone was asking the community at large for suggestions prior to their kickstarter pretty much 95% of posts were 'Planescape 2' or 'Sequel to Planescape' without much regard as to how much of a non starter that was going to be given the licensing issue (IP owned by another company and presently not actively used).

arathain
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I think I agree with this. I like my content focused games just fine- I had a lot of fun with Mass Effect. But I think the successes of content-light mechanically-interesting games like, to pull a couple out of the air, Dwarf Fortress and Crusader Kings 2 should be getting some attention. I think it'd be really, really neat to see a team of known talents deliberately decide to do an RPG without a lot of dialogue trees and slick combat and shoot for something with more meaty things happening under the hood, but really make it a polished, interesting project.

TillEulenspiegel
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
It's interesting how Kickstarter is very narrowly viewed by different communities. On HackerNews when you talk about "Kickstarter", you're talking almost exclusively about hardware products. On RPS, Kickstarter = the larger videogame projects that have come about since DFA.

In reality, most successful projects are well under the $100k mark. Your achievable budget is proportional to the size of your niche, same as it ever was.

Internet
04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
100k on day one, thousands of RPG fans camping out on Kickstarter due to PE--it will probably be funded. I have a lot of fond memories of Wizardry 8, so Brenda Brathwaite's name carries at least some weight for me. However, I'd need to see more information about the game to pledge.

I find it reasonably doubtful that it will be funded. When I compared Kickstarters earlier, I found that the ten of them had an average of getting 20% of their funding in the first two days, that's $200k in this case. To hit that, they would have to make $55k in the next seven hours. Disregarding the outlier of Solforge (which was much longer than this one, had sales, and serious exposure at a con), there seems to be a cluster of games that got about 14% of their funding in the first two days. If this held true for this game, it make around $714k right now. If they make another $15k today (which is possible in the next seven hours, it would just squeak by if the first two days were 14%. Since the first two days are pretty variable, a more stable prediction is this, if they don't have $300k after four days, they're in real trouble.

But if you look at the dollar amount of pledges between first and second day, it looks more like Project Fedora and Castle Story, neither of which broke a million.

Also Project Eternity fans are probably not Wizardry fans. They're two different types/eras of RPGs. This seems to be born out if you look at the huge spike in Wasteland 2 after he announces Chris Avellone joining the team. The spike is from a different audience joining funding.

Personally, I think it will fail by a little bit (without manipulation). Not because I wish ill on the creators or the idea, but games this big don't seem to squeak by like the rest of them. Either a ton of people are interested and it shows, or the game has a really good idea that gradually gets more and more exposure. Nothing about this presentation seems to suggest either. I hope it succeeds and they deliver a good product, but I'm not pledging.

Internet
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
^Pretty much.

When Chris Avellone was asking the community at large for suggestions prior to their kickstarter pretty much 95% of posts were 'Planescape 2' or 'Sequel to Planescape' without much regard as to how much of a non starter that was going to be given the licensing issue (IP owned by another company and presently not actively used).

My suggestion was an under the sea campaign. I wish someone would make that game.

b0rsuk
04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
This smile is so creepy it's awesome. I saved the image on my HDD.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/183/366/01a0e05961d56523f812a3a41c73297b_large.jpg?1348874 809

They have made some good games, but it was so long ago it barely matters. Color me unconvinced. I don't think the funding will go far beyond the target, if at all.

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
My suggestion was an under the sea campaign. I wish someone would make that game.

Rapture before it all went to shit ;)

I think my suggestion was for something like a game set within a closed environment like a Mars colony or exploratory space ship with maybe just 30 NPCs in total making up the crew, having to deal with a calamity and save themselves. An RPG version of FTL in a way.

b0rsuk
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
In related news, a model and an actress is using Kickstarter to fund a sex tape.

2,250,939 Backers
$159,219,390 pledged of $10,000 goal

Pledge $50 or more
2 backers

Pledge $200 or more
8 backers

Pledge $1000 or more

That's how you set reward tiers.
http://www.kickstarter.com.funnyordie.com/projects/83719047/sex-tape

RakeShark
04-10-2012, 09:22 PM
In related news, a model and an actress is using Kickstarter to fund a sex tape.
[/h]That's how you set reward tiers.

The funnyordie.com part of the link is kinda a giveaway.

internetonsetadd
05-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Creepy indeed.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/244716/rpgs.jpg

RakeShark
05-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Was missing something.

Oshada
05-10-2012, 06:13 AM

[/h]That's how you set reward tiers.

That is genius. GENIUS

<although if Bar Rafaeli actually started that Kickstarter I would do a naked circumnavigation around Australia>

internetonsetadd
06-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Update 2 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/322220) describes an interesting setup to both games, but I think I'd rather spend time in a world with a "Bridge corporation between time and worlds" than either a medieval planet or a cyborg psionic planet. This kind of illustrates to me that RPG designers/writers are probably more capable of coming up with original ideas than the games they tend to make would suggest. Which is a shame. We can go anywhere across space and time--but we're going to medieval times for some jousting and mutton.

TillEulenspiegel
06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
a world with a "Bridge corporation between time and worlds"
It's a cute idea that's the stuff of science fiction short stories, but now create an entire world for it with all the ingredients necessary for complex and interesting gameplay.

Not so easy. Where are your adventure hooks? How do you actually make a game out of your super cool totally unique setting?

A good RPG requires the right sort of setting. Medieval fantasy works especially well as a framework for almost any sort of gameplay you can imagine. You can have mystery investigation, a gritty urban underworld, horror, vampires, pirates, courtly intrigue, whatever. It doesn't have to be bland D&D Forgotten Realms bullshit. Unless you want spaceships, medieval fantasy is a good choice that allows for a great deal of diversity.

Revisor
06-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I really like the setting. It reminds me of Albion and The Longest Journey.

Battle Programmer Spike
06-10-2012, 06:30 PM
The skepticism is quite strong around this one. It has only rounded up about 180k so far, and it stands to reason, given the lack of focus/details on the first days.

internetonsetadd
09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Update 4 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/324858). I'm actually liking this more. The setup is shaping up to be the kind of bad-but-fun sci-fi one reads in one's teens. I'm really digging the protagonist's concept art. He looks like the sort of guy who listens to Margaritaville when he wants to get pumped up and winks good-naturedly at women while seducing them with cunnilingus innuendo.

Tikey
09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok, that actually sounds quite interesting.

TillEulenspiegel
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Next update will feature Combat and Gameplay.
Oh goody. Finally, the promise of real details. If they say they're doing turn-based combat, I'll throw them $15 regardless.

SirKicksalot
09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
This has such a strong early 2000s vibe... The only thing missing is a shitty id Tech 2/Unreal on steroids look with art design that makes no sense and is full of coloured lightning. That would be a good thing.

internetonsetadd
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I just backed it. The later games in the Wizardry series (those I played) were sufficiently weird (for my generic fantasy-hating ass) and a little silly at times, which hearkened back to playing D&D with fellow juveniles. It's too early to know for sure, but this seems to have some of that mojo.

Wizardry
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I still can't get over the fact that you're given a protagonist to play. Hopefully this is just the "canonical" version and in reality you get to create him/her like you do the rest of your party.

Oh goody. Finally, the promise of real details. If they say they're doing turn-based combat, I'll throw them $15 regardless.
"Forge alliances with unique NPC races, do their bidding – or be their undoing – as you solve dozens of quests, loot castles and caverns and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key. Turn-based, phased-time combat harkens back to the days when spells hit hard and last-second healing spells saved the day."

So like Wizardry then. Hopefully.

internetonsetadd
10-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Update 5 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/325470). Wizardry should be pleased.

Revisor
10-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I think by now it's safe to say they haven't prepared anything. I'm withdrawing my pledge.

Mentalepsy
10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
/delurk

Their updates seem to be going nowhere, unfortunately. They posted this a few days ago:

Tom and I know exactly what type of game we want to make, the story, the mechanics, the world. In hindsight (which is the number one thing people say in launching kickstarters), we should have launched with more info into the world. That is something we're providing in our regular updates.

I know it takes time to prepare all that information for presentation, but it's been quite vague and posted at a drip feed. I still don't have a strong handle on their high-level design goals, which should have been made completely clear from day one. Judging from the comments page, many of their backers don't know what to expect, either.

I was prepared to make this my first Kickstarter pledge, but given the vague pitch and Loot Drop's lack of recent credentials, I needed convincing. Unfortunately, even if I love what they post from here on out, I think the project is just too haphazard to warrant much confidence.

Revisor
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Make Project Eternity your first, then.
And welcome to the forums.

TillEulenspiegel
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
They've gone with the name "Shaker"? Really? That will only ever remind me of the Shakers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers).

I somehow missed the bit about turn-based phase-based combat. Pledging now, and I'll reevaluate that decision in three weeks, just before the Kickstarter ends.

Tikey
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
They've gone with the name "Shaker"? Really? That will only ever remind me of the Shakers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers).

Maybe one of your skills is great chair making.

allanschnorr
10-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I think by now it's safe to say they haven't prepared anything. I'm withdrawing my pledge.

I withdrew my pledge for this and Nexus. While project Eternity gives me the impression that Obsidian planned their kickstarter before launch and know exactly what they want to do with their game, this give me the opposite impression. After reading the last two updates and seeing the name "Shaker" I couldn't justify a pledge anymore.

xspork
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I withdrew my pledge for this and Nexus. While project Eternity gives me the impression that Obsidian planned their kickstarter before launch and know exactly what they want to do with their game, this give me the opposite impression. After reading the last two updates and seeing the name "Shaker" I couldn't justify a pledge anymore.

What is it with that name. I too had a feeling of instant loathing as soon as I saw it.

This is turning into a disappointment for me. The Wizardry games are some of my favorite CRPGS of all-time. I was really excited to see this, and then the deeper I look, the more I get the feeling that they had no concept behind this game other than "Old school RPGS are making lots of money! Let's do it too!" Ok fine, if money is the motivation, I don't care as long as the game is good.

But then instead of taking time to develop a solid game concept, they just launched the kickstarter and started dropping names and puffed up experience. I mean I did enjoy reading the manuals for the Wizardry games and all, but come on.

I still have hopes they might be able to make a solid game in the same vein of the Wizardry series, but I have to admit to being turned off by the way this is being handled.

Downgraded my pledge to the $15 tier and revoking it is a definite possibility depending how things turn out.

simoroth
11-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Seems support for the game has really dried up. This looks like it might be the first high profile failure if they don't get their act together and produce some engaging content.

Kadayi
11-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Seems support for the game has really dried up. This looks like it might be the first high profile failure if they don't get their act together and produce some engaging content.

The need to let it die, rethink their strategy and come up with a more robust kickstarter, because people aren't buying what their selling and no amount of updates is going to change that given most people have made that judgement call already. 7k backers Vs the 50k behind Eternity says it all really.

TillEulenspiegel
11-10-2012, 02:32 PM
They've still got 24 days, and a Wizardry-esque game was never going to attract as many people as an Infinity Engine-style game from Obsidian.

Yes, their pitch is terrible, but they have time to refine it. Even if it takes them another ten days to come up with a good angle, they'd still have two full weeks left for fundraising. They'll make it to $1m.

Internet
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
They've still got 24 days, and a Wizardry-esque game was never going to attract as many people as an Infinity Engine-style game from Obsidian.

Yes, their pitch is terrible, but they have time to refine it. Even if it takes them another ten days to come up with a good angle, they'd still have two full weeks left for fundraising. They'll make it to $1m.

The top part is absolutely true. Obsidian has been far more productive in the relevant field far more recently. The Infinity Engine games made a decent bit of cash and had many fans. Wizardry 8 was well received, but not a great success.

But it's very doubtful that they'll make it to $1m. By this time, virtually every successful large kickstarter has reached at least a third of their funding. Even Shadowrun Online, which barely made it in an extremely unlikely turnaround, had 27% of their goal, while "Shaker" only has 22%. Shadowrun Returns sent out an email encouraging people to back Shadowrun Online, it's doubtful that "Shaker" has marketing information that effective. Even Two Guys from Andromeda, which was half as large and only made $30k over their goal, had 32% at this point.

Or to put it another way, to make it at this point they'd need an average $32k in sales a day from now on, 85% of what Obsidian has been making daily in their middle slump, and five times more then they've been making daily. Decrease time-frame down to two and a half weeks, and they have to make at the very least an average of $41k a day.

It's pretty improbable that it will succeed. I think they should scrap the project now, think about it for a month, come up with a better name, and redo the Kickstarter.

qwurp
11-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Here is the current projections based on trend. Not looking good.

I think the biggest issue here is that it truly appears that they literally put this KS project together over a weekend.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/exp-cone.png

b0rsuk
11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
As for the projection - it will only get worse with time. That's what happens to most Kickstarter projects: cash influx slows down. Projection is based on current payments.

We can forget about this project becoming 100% funded. This thread is only good for academic discussion.

fiddlesticks
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
The Projection generally doesn't change all that much over time, since it's based on the way earlier projects went. Trend is the one that is simply averaging the donations of the previous days and extrapolating from that. That said, I agree this is very unlikely to meet its goal.

It's a shame in a way. I would have liked an RPG made by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall, but not if they clearly have no idea where they're going with it.

Tikey
11-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Doesn't projects usually get a influx of backers near the end?

Of course this is for academic discussion, I don't see much future in this kickstarter.

xspork
11-10-2012, 08:04 PM
It's pretty improbable that it will succeed. I think they should scrap the project now, think about it for a month, come up with a better name, and redo the Kickstarter.

I really want a new game in this style, especially from these people but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I think they were just off in their proposal, both in content and timing.

I'll keep my pledge in until the end because I believe there is a good game there. But I agree that it is probably best to scrap it now and come back in a month or two with a refined proposal (and yes, a different name please) than ride it out to the bitter end.

Internet
11-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Doesn't projects usually get a influx of backers near the end?

Of course this is for academic discussion, I don't see much future in this kickstarter.

Yes, in many there's a bit of increased funding for the last week, which is harder to measure, but then a huge spike in the last three days. In the ten I looked at, they made an average of 20% of their total funding in the last week. The outlier, Shadowrun Online, made 40% in the last few days, but even they had made a greater proportion of their funding by this point.

Also, while the cone is far more accurate/believable than the trending line, Obsidian's cone has been shifting up and down by the hundreds of thousands in the last week. That's not insubstantial.

SirKicksalot
19-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Grimoire lead designer attacks Brenda and Romero in the Kickstarter comments (http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/cleveblakemore/comments). Start from the bottom.

Sample, bolding is mine:
http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever There is a spiritual successor to Wizardry. It is called Grimoire and it is done. Brenda already got her Kickstarter at Sir-Tech. It was called Wizardry 8 and it cost two million dollars for Brenda to play game designer. Sir-Tech believed Brenda when she told them that nobody was interested in playing old skool RPGs anymore. It ended with Sir-Tech going bankrupt with less than $50 in assets at their hearing. If anybody had thought Brenda was a good bet to head up another team after Sir-Tech went out of business, with her huge social networking skills I am sure she could have headed up another team. Brenda is good at social networking but not much of a game designer. If she had any pleasure or enthusiasm for the genre she'd be working in it instead of writing politically correct social games for FaceBook. She wants another two million, this time to pay her to make a game she can't even seem to describe. Maybe that is because she is more interested in two million dollars than old skool RPGs. For those of you who don't understand why Sir-Tech turned away from their core and blew their money on junk like DRUIDS, it was because they thought Brenda knew what she was talking about. That's why they are out of business today.

Internet
19-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow. That's some beef.

Also this gem:
Tom, if you need somebody to show you how to create a pitch video for your product that is far better than the junk that was posted up here feel free to contact me at any time.
Which is a bit rich since they raised $255k (probably unsuccessfully) and he's raised $3.5k. Also, his 20 minute pitch video, at least half of which is him reading aloud from the giant letters on the screen.

gundato
19-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, kind of a dick move, but enough to make me cancel my (15 dollar) backing. I have been annoyed at the somewhat disingenuous take on marketing, the available info is vague (although, I like the concept of the universe), and that they somehow pissed off one of the guys keeping the genre alive is saying a lot.

I'll just wait for a steam sale, I guess.

Revisor
19-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Is it true about Mrs. Brathwaite's engagement in SirTech? Does someone have more information about this?

He's not mincing his words but he's right in calling this KS an embarassment (I withdraw my pledge a week ago after being sucked in by promises as well).

internetonsetadd
19-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Come on now. It's only mostly an embarrassment. I do get the sense that they're so ashamed they don't even want to look at it, but I'm going to let my pledge ride for a few more updates.

qwurp
19-10-2012, 07:10 PM
It was a dick move by the Grimoire dev. He was brutally upfront and while it may lead to some people canceling support of the Shaker Kickstarter, I doubt it will do much good for his own indiegogo campaign. He should have been viewing this as an opportunity to woo the community rather than trashing other developers.

That being said, I have not backed the Shaker KS from day 1 because I thought it was poorly done and I felt (still do) that it was originally launched over a weekend with no time or thought put into the project itself. The delayed and vague updates seem to align with the fact that they've been 'winging it' since launch.

TillEulenspiegel
20-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Kudos to those who called it: they're killing the Kickstarter and taking the time to come up with a better proposal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/332306

Probably a wise move. I know they're capable of much better.

Revisor
20-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Wise move. Still interested in the details of Brathwaite's achievements at SirTech.

Internet
20-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Kudos to those who called it: they're killing the Kickstarter and taking the time to come up with a better proposal.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/332306
Probably a wise move. I know they're capable of much better.

I agree. I think with a failure like this they should probably come back with more than a pitch. A prototype, a few screenshots, and a better name are probably a better path to success. They could even keep the endorsements, just have something far more substantial to back them up.

Wise move. Still interested in the details of Brathwaite's achievements at SirTech.

There are probably better sources though. The man is absolutely crazy:
Once again, looks like one man is better than five hundred pretenders. I like the odds. Obviously one of us is seriously outnumbered. They're going to have to hire more guys.

I think you might want to see if the other members of Sir-Tech have blogs and twitters, etc., and ask them there.

xspork
20-10-2012, 04:22 AM
The man may be a bit of a nut, but I got a chuckle out of

I am looking forward to Pettington Park II, on the other hand. I have trouble sleeping.

and I do think some of his rantings ring true. I have said previously that I got the feeling that they were really motivated by $$ but were playing it off like they were more interested in making an old school RPG for the sake of making one. I don't know, but something about John Romero in a Hummer in the pitch video just turned me off.

That being said, whether the motivation is cash or a passion to make a truly decent CRPG in the style of Wizardry, I guess it doesn't matter if a good game is the result. Though I still can't help feeling that the end product will be better if there is more than greed behind it. I'm still hoping they can come back and convince us of that in the relaunch.

NathanH
20-10-2012, 08:23 AM
That Grimoire fellow is a delight. His video was the best pitch video since those Eastern Europeans got dressed up in armour.

Kadayi
20-10-2012, 11:23 AM

They definitely need to come back with something ironclad in terms of what they are going to produce and also ensure that any stretch goals are aimed at strengthening/enhancing the KS project, not funding another one (two for one was just a terrible idea tbh..people want quality not quantity with their experiences).

That being said, whether the motivation is cash or a passion to make a truly decent CRPG in the style of Wizardry, I guess it doesn't matter if a good game is the result. Though I still can't help feeling that the end product will be better if there is more than greed behind it. I'm still hoping they can come back and convince us of that in the relaunch.

I wouldn't necessarily say they came across as insincere (they do make games after all..just not PC games these days), but it did come across as a case of the hunt for nostalgia bucks.

Also they should concentrate their time on selling their game, not on stretching the credibility of their CVs (30 years in the games industry and you're only 46 ...someones telling porkies), or the creative value of the games they've worked on previously. Obsidian with Eternity only really mentioned the applicable projects they's worked on, not everything and the kitchen sink.

strange headache
20-10-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xDyXSCd2Lp0#!

This truly is the greatest pitch ever conceived by a mouth breather.

"17+ years of hellish unending madness... in Grimoire, you can ride on turtles!"

Battle Programmer Spike
20-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Well... at least we could say this kickstarter pitch was... shaky at best.

Ok, ok. I'll see myself out.

Revisor
20-10-2012, 04:53 PM
A new comment from the Grimoire dev. He claims to have worked in SirTech under Brathwaite.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/cleveblakemore/comments

I know who these people really are. I sat six inches away from the woman behind this Kickstarter and listened as she lectured me in front of the other staff at Sir-Tech about how nobody was interested in Sir-Tech's core product, old skool RPGs. She told me I didn't understand the industry. The Siroteks thought she knew what she was doing and they abandoned their core and started to make games like NEMESIS and DRUIDS under her Rasputin-like influence and they ended up with $50 to their names in bankruptcy court.

Kadayi
20-10-2012, 05:07 PM
A new comment from the Grimoire dev. He claims to have worked in SirTech under Brathwaite.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/cleveblakemore/comments

To be fair though, she likely said that a long time ago when there wasn't likely a viable market for those titles any more. Now with the internet things are different and there's more opportunity for niche to find a marketplace.

Spider Jerusalem
20-10-2012, 05:20 PM
blakemore is a delusional crazy person. why anyone would take any comments he says (especially about a company that fired him) seriously is beyond me.

TillEulenspiegel
20-10-2012, 05:24 PM
(especially about a company that fired him)
Bear in mind that there's zero evidence he ever worked for Sir-Tech:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-sir-tech-go-bankrupt.53695/#post-1460792

I've known two people in my life (one in school, one professionally) who would create elaborate fantasies and insist they were true, even though I knew full well that they were complete lies. Pathological liars. Blakemore might be one of those, or he might be an even greater degree of crazy.

Vicious
20-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Eh dudes, if I'm not mistaken Cleveland is the crazy dude who has been hanging around usenet and whatever rpg forum he hasn't been banned from while building a nuclear bunker in Australia while waiting for the inevitable and literal Apocalypse.

In short, the guy is fucking crazy and it pains me to see people give him credence.

Spider Jerusalem
20-10-2012, 08:36 PM

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-sir-tech-go-bankrupt.53695/#post-1460792

I've known two people in my life (one in school, one professionally) who would create elaborate fantasies and insist they were true, even though I knew full well that they were complete lies. Pathological liars. Blakemore might be one of those, or he might be an even greater degree of crazy.
even more so, a company that /might have/ fired him but that he possibly /didn't work for at all/ because he's a delusional, insane man.

Eh dudes, if I'm not mistaken Cleveland is the crazy dude who has been hanging around usenet and whatever rpg forum he hasn't been banned from while building a nuclear bunker in Australia while waiting for the inevitable and literal Apocalypse.

In short, the guy is fucking crazy and it pains me to see people give him credence.
this. a thousand times.

Revisor
20-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for clearing this up. Didn't know who he was.

dnf
20-10-2012, 10:13 PM

He claims to have worked at Sir Tech as a contractor or something like that. There is a NPC in Jagged Alliance 2 that pays homage to him, named Calvin Barkmore.

Also, more lulz:

Grimoire Eliminates Another Rival (http://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/grimoire-eliminates-another-rival/)

Oct 20 (http://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/grimoire-eliminates-another-rival/)
Posted by grimdarkly (http://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/author/grimdarkly/)
Already weakened as its deadline drew to a close, Cleve Blakemore and his Codexian Army heroically finished Shaker with a skull-crushing blow to the cranium: discouraging comments.
Leading the frontline charge, Cleve unloaded a truth bomb on the Shaker project, revealing to people the mess of self contradictions in the past of Brenda Brathwaite.
The Codexians, although mainly trannies, are quite resourceful. It seems they used their tranny abilities to pose as women and advocate Grimoire with false accounts. The historical role of gender bender geisha assassins comes to mind.
Once again, Grimoire emerges triumphant.
Addendum: Almost everything that was stated by Cleve in the Shaker comments is public information (Interviews etc). Much of it was stated by Brenda herself and has simply been repeated by Cleve.
There is some evidence implying that their Kickstarter was launched purely for monetary purposes. However, if they really intended to make a fun, old-skool RPG, then both Brenda and Tom have my best wishes.

Protoman
20-10-2012, 11:10 PM
You know, I love some of the things these people have worked on, but you simply don't make a 6 minute kickstarter video detailing your experience, and why old-school RPG's are better than new ones... Seriously, talk about your game! I'd rather see a presentation than read about it.

Vicious
21-10-2012, 01:01 AM
He claims to have worked at Sir Tech as a contractor or something like that. There is a NPC in Jagged Alliance 2 that pays homage to him, named Calvin Barkmore.
Pays homage to his being a lunatic. Read the quotes here: http://jaggedalliance.wikia.com/wiki/Calvin_Barkmore