PDA

View Full Version : Confused about From Dust..

QuantaCat
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Is it XBLA or PC or both now? Because Ubisoft.com says its XBLA, period.

LeiterJakab
05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
In an E3 interview Eric Chahi said it's PC too.

Giaddon
05-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Ubisoft does have the bad habit of releasing games for consoles on the stated release date and then for PCs months later.

Really hope that doesn't happen to From Dust.

(Or worse, that it doesn't hit PCs at all!)

Vexing Vision
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
On the other hand, this gives me a few weeks/months to decide if I should purchase it or not, based on the feedback of the XBLA-title.

I'm very very curious and would buy it blind, so I actually welcome the feedback.

QuantaCat
05-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Or they make it more fab by the time the PC version releases. Which is always great. I still think Ubisoft is mainly a PC developer, only that they use Consoles as a testbed, in order to improve the PC release :D

Thanks for the replies, btw.

Kadayi
05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
It might be a case of another 'Xbox exclusive' that comes to PC a few months later (as seems to be the trend). With the 360 they only have the one hardware build to worry about, where as with the PC they've a lot more issues to contend with.

Rii
05-07-2011, 04:51 PM
It might be a case of another 'Xbox exclusive' that comes to PC a few months later (as seems to be the trend). With the 360 they only have the one hardware build to worry about, where as with the PC they've a lot more issues to contend with.

Yeah - all that DRM doesn't code itself.

QuantaCat
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
..and they charge extra 10 pounds for the PC version, but the DLC is "included".

no wait, they dont. Hm. Am I thinking stupid?

Kadayi
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah - all that DRM doesn't code itself.

Lets leave the DRM cynicism to other lesser sites Ok (that stuff got dull a long time ago, and goes nowhere tbh). I'm on about hardware configurations, OS, managing resolutions, driver support, device management, etc, etc. With a 360 you're catering to set conditions, set input and a couple of standard resolutions, it's a lot easier to focus on managing key aspects like frame rate, etc, etc.

somini
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Lets leave the DRM cynicism to other lesser sites Ok (that stuff got dull a long time ago, and goes nowhere tbh). I'm on about hardware configurations, OS, managing resolutions, driver support, device management, etc, etc. With a 360 you're catering to set conditions, set input and a couple of standard resolutions, it's a lot easier to focus on managing key aspects like frame rate, etc, etc.
Let's just say it's a combination of both. But since it's on Steam the DRM part is much lighter.

QuantaCat
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
That and dont forget: the DRM took a real step back (in the right direction) for AssBro, for example.

Cooper
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Let's just say it's a combination of both. But since it's on Steam the DRM part is much lighter.Not really. Steam is perfectly compatible with other, less amenable, forms of DRM.

Take Settlers 7, for exaple. Steam website quote:
"A PERMANENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901436/

So it won't work in Steam's 'Offline' mode (which, despite early problems, is actually pretty good now).

Never assume that because it's on Steam, the game's not crippled by other forms of DRM...

somini
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Not really. Steam is perfectly compatible with other, less amenable, forms of DRM.

Take Settlers 7, for exaple. Steam website quote:
"A PERMANENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901436/

So it won't work in Steam's 'Offline' mode (which, despite early problems, is actually pretty good now).

Never assume that because it's on Steam, the game's not crippled by other forms of DRM...

Sure, the reason I think that it has just Steam DRM is the fact that they metioned specifically Steam, and not PC digital or whatever. Let's just hope for it.

Dave L.
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
There was a PC version and an OnLive version playable on the floor at E3. It's definitely PC bound. It might be slightly delayed on PC, though, since it's part of the XBLA Summer of Arcade promotion.

CuriousOrange
06-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Except developing a PC version should be much easier. Valve talked about their problems switching to console development. Performance troubles in a PC game? It runs at a lower framerate. Performance troubles in a console game? Kapow! Console crashes.

It may be easier to produce a more polished experience on console, but it's certainly easier to make a game for pc as you can be lazy and cut various corners.

zuhzuhzombie!!
07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Buying blind because I have complete faith in Chahi.

Giaddon
07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Looks like it's landing on July 27th!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322805.html?tag=newsticker%3Bheadline%3B1

QuantaCat
08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Thats great news! now lets hope the game is not just a tech demo.

Christian
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Thats great news! now lets hope the game is not just a tech demo.

I really hope so. I played hours and hours of Populous (even the second part/remake on PC was enjoyable) and even liked Black & White to some extent. Oh, and anybody remember Powermonger?

I hope this comes close and isn't ruined by them packing too much features in it but instead concentrating on good gameplay..

Icarus
09-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow, having seen the gameplay video, this just jumped up the list. It seems like Black and White without the nonsense.

QuantaCat
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I really hope so. I played hours and hours of Populous (even the second part/remake on PC was enjoyable) and even liked Black & White to some extent. Oh, and anybody remember Powermonger?

I hope this comes close and isn't ruined by them packing too much features in it but instead concentrating on good gameplay..
In that case, I think you might be disappointed. It seems to be mostly a sandbox-y affair.

Christian
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Wow, having seen the gameplay video, this just jumped up the list. It seems like Black and White without the nonsense.

Exactly. The beginning of B&W was fine imo, but they added way too much stuff at the end. Although the mechanic of casting spells with gestures was quite neatly implemented.

Quanta: I'm not quite sure..although you're right, Populous didn't have very much of a sandbox. But I always saw and played B&W under a more 'sandboxy' aspect, ignoring the missions (where possible), so this might be fun.
I just hope the core mechanics are solid and it really is possible to change the terrain everywhere and not just in pre-defined places for example.

QuantaCat
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I wasnt complaining, by the way, just pointing out that it will be more an exploration of worlds, than it is a "get this, do that, etc"

Kadayi
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
The recent trailer sold me a lot more on the concept of it. Looking forward to the release and thank god it's towards the end of the month, because with the Summer Steam sale it's been a pricey month so far.

LeiterJakab
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Does anyone have a guess what the price might be?

Giaddon
11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
$15

Source: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16824-from-dust-releasing-on-pc-this-month-priced-at-15/

Vexing Vision
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, at that price point (probably 15€ in Europe, yay) I'll buy it unseen.

Don't disappoint me, strange little people. Don't disappoint me.

LeiterJakab
15-07-2011, 02:10 PM
There's a quick look on GiantBomb. It's for the 360 version, but still.

Creeping Death
15-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have a guess what the price might be?

For Uk folks out there, Gamersgate currently has it priced at 12.95. So assuming Steam does its usual 10% off on release I'm hoping it'll be closer to 10. Insta-buy for me, really

QuantaCat
15-07-2011, 06:09 PM
For Uk folks out there, Gamersgate currently has it priced at 12.95. So assuming Steam does its usual 10% off on release I'm hoping it'll be closer to 10. Insta-buy for me, really

Is this a challenge for savygamer.co.uk?! CHALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE!

somini
16-07-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FD/from-dust

According the GamersGate page, it will have UbiDRM, although I bet that it will be in the AssBro way of having an offline mode without DLC content. I hope Steam has only SteamDRM, and by hoping I mean I'm on 'shrooms...

QuantaCat
16-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Its not on steam yet, though.

somini
16-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Its not on steam yet, though.
That's why I'm still praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for him to extend his Noodly Appendage to Yves Guillemot and make it happen

Rossignol
16-07-2011, 11:33 PM
It has always been for PC and XBLA.

QuantaCat
24-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I want to revive this, because it contains more real information than that stupid DRM thread.

Hooray for from dust! It's coming soon!

QuantaCat
26-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Right. Delayed for the PC. As predicted in this thread. Even though their apologies are getting old, I think it's a good thing.

Giaddon
26-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Ugh, 48 hours before the game would be released. Why wait to announce this? WHYYYYYYY

Any suggestions for where my now uncommitted $15 should go this week?

Harlander
26-07-2011, 01:51 PM
A few pints of your adult beverage of choice, perhaps?

Smashbox
26-07-2011, 02:51 PM
It seems clear that they knew about the delay before Monday. Poor attitude, Ubi. To the stocks with you.

zuhzuhzombie!!
17-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Thoughts?

Haven't gotten a moment to play it myself.