PDA

View Full Version : Fare thee well, Cliffy B

Smashbox
03-10-2012, 11:15 PM
http://epicgames.com/community/2012/10/cliff-bleszinski-departs-epic/

"I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.
I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR – it’s been one big, rewarding learning experience. I’m confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike."

Wot do you bet he'll do next? Go 'indie'?

Heliocentric
03-10-2012, 11:18 PM
http://epicgames.com/community/2012/10/cliff-bleszinski-departs-epic/

Wot do you bet he'll do next? Go 'indie'?[/FONT]
I picture him on a reality TV show, ever watched one of his interviews? He'd totally fit in.

SirKicksalot
03-10-2012, 11:23 PM
But.. but... what about Jazz Jackrabbit? And Unreal?!

Cliffy and Tanya were awesome as the faces of Epic.
He'll go either indie or to Japan.

Bilbo1981
03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
More to the point who cares? This guy is probably the most annoying personality in gaming. Hopefully he decides to change his career to something more useful like picking pennies up in front of a steam roller :)

RakeShark
03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
We may have had some arguments over the years Cliffy B, and we may have said some unkind things to each other we somewhat regret, but you were an okay dude. Enjoy your rest.

Hypernetic
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Meh?

10char

Nalano
03-10-2012, 11:54 PM
"I'm rich. Lemme go do rich people stuff."

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 12:01 AM

Pretty much

ado
04-10-2012, 03:12 AM

"How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind"

All the best to CliffyB, have a good rest but I know you'll be back.

Nalano
04-10-2012, 04:10 AM
But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind"

Who the fuck cares if they have satisfied minds?

Finicky
04-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Meh?

10char

He was one of the people responsible for unreal and UT.

You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH, when one of the people responsible for one of the better games ever quits, it is of interest to a lot of gamers.

Berzee
04-10-2012, 04:59 AM
I don't think I ever played a CliffyB-related game,
but I guess they were probably games,
and I like those, so I acknowledge
that a man has retired!

Kodeen
04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH

I would care.

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
He was one of the people responsible for unreal and UT.

You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH, when one of the people responsible for one of the better games ever quits, it is of interest to a lot of gamers.

Um, he just quit his job, it's not like he died.

He also didn't create any of those games, he was a level designer on UT. Was he a part of some good games? Sure. Do I care that he left EPIC? Nope, not at all. Why should I care? There are plenty of talented people there that will continue making games.

Mohorovicic
04-10-2012, 06:41 AM
And nothing of value was lost.

Finicky
04-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Um, he just quit his job, it's not like he died.

He also didn't create any of those games, he was a level designer on UT. Was he a part of some good games? Sure. Do I care that he left EPIC? Nope, not at all. Why should I care? There are plenty of talented people there that will continue making games.

And this is a gaming forum, not an obituary.
If you don't care or don't have anything constructive or interesting to say then don't post?
There are LOADS of threads and games on this forum that don't interest me, you don't see me voicing my disinterest in those.

All you do is create noise.

The OP seems to care that he quit, but who the fuck is he when we have superstars like you showing us what a fool he is.

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 07:05 AM
And this is a gaming forum, not an obituary.
If you don't care or don't have anything constructive or interesting to say then don't post?
There are LOADS of threads and games on this forum that don't interest me, you don't see me voicing my disinterest in those.

All you do is create noise.

The OP seems to care that he quit, but who the fuck is he when we have superstars like you showing us what a fool he is.

I didn't insult the OP or tell anyone they were wrong for caring, I just expressed my indifference. For some reason you got extremely upset by this and told me I should choke on a pretzel. I'm sure plenty of people care that he quit for whatever reason, I don't and I wanted everyone to know just how indifferent I was on the subject. Why is this such a huge problem for you? What kind of deep-seated resentments are your harboring towards me to cause such an explosion of anger over something so trivial?

Henke
04-10-2012, 07:06 AM

It seems like certain posters around here feel compelled to post in every single thread that comes up, if for no other reason than to point out how little they care about the subject-matter. I'm guessing it's some form of OCD. Or maybe they just like seeing their postcount go up.

edit:

I don't and I wanted everyone to know just how indifferent I was on the subject.

Oh yeah good point. If you hadn't posted everyone would've thought you were too depressed by CliffyB's departure to even post in this thread, so thanks for chiming in.

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 07:20 AM
It seems like certain posters around here feel compelled to post in every single thread that comes up, if for no other reason than to point out how little they care about the subject-matter. I'm guessing it's some form of OCD. Or maybe they just like seeing their postcount go up.

edit:

Oh yeah good point. If you hadn't posted everyone would've thought you were too depressed by CliffyB's departure to even post in this thread, so thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, I wouldn't want everyone to think I choked on a pretzel or something.

Jesus_Phish
04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
First, its a forum and everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, even if that opinion is "I'm not all that bothered by the departure of this man". It's just as valid as saying "I'm going to miss Cliffy B".

Second, although he was certainly the face of Epic for a long time and worked behind the scenes on their series, he's not a one man game machine so I don't see anything at Epic changing. They'll get a new face, or hopefully they wont, because faces of companies all ultimately get very annoying very quickly (Notch stand up).

Last, I enjoy Epic games as mindless entertainment and will continue to unless they start developing something like My Little Pony Stable Adventure.

Voon
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
He didn't care about making another good Unreal game anyway, so I'm a bit indifferent about this.

But good luck, Cliffy.

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Truth for sure. I do find it peculiar that they seem to believe people remotely care about their disinterest. Killing off post counts would be a positive move.

As regards CliffyB. I think it's all very PC master race to hate on the guy for some outspoken comments over the years, but if you've ever actually listened to the guy talk games and technology it's abundantly clear he knows what he's talking about within his domain.

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Truth for sure. I do find it peculiar that they seem to believe people remotely care about their disinterest. Killing off post counts would be a positive move.

As regards CliffyB. I think it's all very PC master race to hate on the guy for some outspoken comments over the years, but if you've ever actually listened to the guy talk games and technology it's abundantly clear he knows what he's talking about within his domain.

My disinterest is as valid of a post as your interest. What makes you think people care about your interests anymore than my disinterests.

I also find it funny that my post, which simply said "meh?" was singled out rather than the one two posts above mine in which the poster states that he wants Cliffy B to be run over by a steam roller.

I don't dislike Cliff nor do I care about all that "PC master race" stuff, I am just very indifferent towards this news. I'd be interested if the news involved information about him starting a new game studio or something along those lines, but for now it simply states that he is taking a break and quit epic. So what's the big deal? What is there even to say other than "that sucks" or "meh" or "I'd like to see what he does next" or "he can go fuck himself!". I mean there isn't really a big opportunity for discussion here in the first place.

Flint
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe the guy taking over his position will think that the way forward is creating new singleplayer Unreal and Jazz Jackrabbit games, and will lead the company into a new golden path of prosperity.

ado
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Who the fuck cares if they have satisfied minds?

*moves hand over his head and makes a WOOSH sound*

Rao Dao Zao
04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe the guy taking over his position will think that the way forward is creating new singleplayer Unreal and Jazz Jackrabbit games, and will lead the company into a new golden path of prosperity.

We can but dream. ;_;

Nalano
04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
*moves hand over his head and makes a WOOSH sound*

You quoted Johnny Cash lyrics about how being contented is more important than being rich.

My point was "fuck the rich." I believe it is you that is not getting it.

Rossi
04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I thank him for bringing me Unreal and Unreal Tournament. I don't thank him for Unreal Tournament 2003/4 which was a bitter disappointment for me.

UT got me into online gaming.

Didn't he put down the PC recently? Which is an extremely odd thing to say considering his success lies with the PC. I don't rank him up there with the likes of Carmac or Molyneaux but still near the top in influential gaming faces.

I'm betting he goes indie. I expect a kickstarter page from his new studio pretty soon.

Shooop
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I will now pretend to care.

QuantaCat
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
For fucks sake. Wasnt Jim saying to chill the shit out on the main article already?

CliffyB, have fun at whatever you do next. I liked some of your stuff.

However, I think this thread is better locked.

Shooop
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
For fucks sake. Wasnt Jim saying to chill the shit out on the main article already?

CliffyB, have fun at whatever you do next. I liked some of your stuff.

However, I think this thread is better locked.

Who he was and who he is now are very different things.

Nalano
04-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I thank him for bringing me Unreal and Unreal Tournament. I don't thank him for Unreal Tournament 2003/4 which was a bitter disappointment for me.

UT2k4 was a smorgasboard of a game that was a cottage industry in itself. What's not to like?

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
My disinterest is as valid of a post as your interest. What makes you think people care about your interests anymore than my disinterests.

Signal Vs noise.

I also find it funny that my post, which simply said "meh?" was singled out rather than the one two posts above mine in which the poster states that he wants Cliffy B to be run over by a steam roller.

Paranoid much?

Nalano
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Signal Vs noise.

"I don't like what you're saying, therefore you're not saying anything."

Hang on, lemme get my Troll-B-Gone.

Smashbox
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Why is everyone so negative on this forum nowadays?

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
"I don't like what you're saying, therefore you're not saying anything."

By any measure Nalano how is this meaningful to anyone: -

Meh

gundato
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Why is everyone so negative on this forum nowadays?
Because saying you like something makes you a "fanboy". Saying you hate something makes you "intelligent". It is a general trend in the world in general, but I blame ZeroPunctuation with respect to that attitude in gaming.

Jesus_Phish
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Because saying you like something makes you a "fanboy". Saying you hate something makes you "intelligent". It is a general trend in the world in general, but I blame ZeroPunctuation with respect to that attitude in gaming.

What if I say I hate that argument? I hate it, so I'm intelligent, but I hate what's making me intelligent so I'm.... umm...

Nalano
04-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Zero Punctuation was a breath of fresh air when it first came out, because it was a counterpoint to the glorified press releases that passed for game reviews. Honesty is still lost in the mix, but I prefer cynicism to shilling any day.

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Zero Punctuation was a breath of fresh air when it first came out, because it was a counterpoint to the glorified press releases that passed for game reviews. Honesty is still lost in the mix, but I prefer cynicism to shilling any day.

Because everything has to be rules/sucks.

Sparkasaurusmex
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
We just need to stop being so self conscious of our level of intelligence.

SirKicksalot
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
He didn't care about making another good Unreal game anyway, so I'm a bit indifferent about this.

But good luck, Cliffy.

From Cliffy's recent Reddit AMA:

I was quoted recently on a Fortnite panel about the first Unreal and what a reboot might look like. Having really grown into a big Bethesda fan lately (Skyrim rocked my world) I couldn't help but wonder what a reboot of Unreal would be like if it was more "SciFi-Rim." Sure, there would be shooting involved, but exploration would almost be more important. Get back to that sense of wonder that the first game had. (Caves and castles and crashed ships are basically your dungeon instances, whereas the "overworld" is less intense.) Put it on a high end PC and prepare yourself for amazing visuals never before seen in real time.
As far as a new UT, it's hard to say. Shooters and their sequels are a tricky beast. Often you wind up upsetting your core whenever you make a sequel because sometimes you change things the users didn't want changed, or the users are so very in love with their memory of the original game that there's nothing you can do to live up to the first game. This happened with Counterstrike: Source, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, heck, even Halo 2.
(All that said, I do personally believe that UT3 suffered a bit from an identity crisis in regards to whether or not it was a PC or Console game.)
So if, when? I don't know, honestly. We're understaffed right now for all of the projects we've got going on so I can't say if or when it may happen. I do love that IP and do hope to return to Na Pali some day.

Nalano
04-10-2012, 05:19 PM

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24200000/Troll-B-Gone-atsof-24251115-300-259.jpg

Flint
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
SciFi-Rim
I want this.

gundato
04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Fun CliffyB story (I think, it's been 10 years):
Back during the height of UT, CliffyB actually patrolled the fansites. It got to the point where you could basically mention his name once and actually expect a reply (like Bettlegeuse!).

And I think that basically sums him up perfectly. Yeah, the guy had a HUMONGOUS ego. But he also genuinely cared about the community and the fans. We might not have always agreed with him, but the guy's first goal was to make a game people would like (and even Gears of War was well received in console-land).

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24200000/Troll-B-Gone-atsof-24251115-300-259.jpg

Hey I'm sorry that you apparently lack the capacity to operate beyond a binary level of assessment, but that unfortunately is your weakness.

Shooop
04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey I'm sorry that you apparently lack the capacity to operate beyond a binary level of assessment, but that unfortunately is your weakness.

*Checking previous page*

*Zoom in*

Originally Posted by Kadayi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdeLUA0Fms

Unaco
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
*Checking previous page*

*Zoom in*

Originally Posted by Kadayi

I fear you may have missed the sarcasm in that 2nd quote of Kadayi's that you have used. D'Oh?

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I fear you may have missed the sarcasm in that 2nd quote of Kadayi's that you have used. D'Oh?

Gold star to Unaco. Wooden spoon (and eternal shame) to Snooop.

peschiNL
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I didn't insult the OP or tell anyone they were wrong for caring, I just expressed my indifference. For some reason you got extremely upset by this and told me I should choke on a pretzel. I'm sure plenty of people care that he quit for whatever reason, I don't and I wanted everyone to know just how indifferent I was on the subject. Why is this such a huge problem for you? What kind of deep-seated resentments are your harboring towards me to cause such an explosion of anger over something so trivial?

you care enough about it, to post in this thread. Oh dear.

Hypernetic
04-10-2012, 09:11 PM

So you're saying that there is a gray area where "meh" is both a valid and interesting opinion. Thanks.

Nalano
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
So you're saying that there is a gray area where "meh" is both a valid and interesting opinion. Thanks.

I love a happy ending.

Smashbox
04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I love a happy ending.

Annnnnnnd, I'm going to go chop my eyes off.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
you care enough about it, to post in this thread. Oh dear.

Endlessly amusing tbh.

No, because it's not an opinion that is meaningful to others.

Mindwedge
05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Prediction: Cliffy starts his own studio, indie or otherwise.

gundato
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
As the saying goes: Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

If you say "Sweet shazbot I'm ejaculating all over this awesome thing", he says "I don't want to live on this world anymore", and she says "I am indifferent", it doesn't matter. All of your opinions are equally valid and you are equally entitled to your opinions. EVEN if your opinion is based off of wrong, stupid, or bigoted information.

But for the purpose of a DISCUSSION, all three of those are meaningless. Because none of them really allow for any conversation beyond "Uhm... you have issues" to the first person.

We're all guilty of it sometimes, but you should ALWAYS try and make sure you actually have a talking point of worth in your post. Something that introduces a new aspect of the topic or comments on someone's previous post.
Saying "I am indifferent" does nothing other than inflate your post count.
Saying "+1" is almost as stupid
Saying "You are stupid" is, you guessed it, stupid (I'll give it least stupid of those options though).

And I think the internet is fostering this. Ironically, it is discouraging actual communication and encouraging people to "retweet" and "+1" posts, rather than actually SAY stuff.

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Endlessly amusing tbh.

See, that's where you're wrong.

As the saying goes: Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

If you say "Sweet shazbot I'm ejaculating all over this awesome thing", he says "I don't want to live on this world anymore", and she says "I am indifferent", it doesn't matter. All of your opinions are equally valid and you are equally entitled to your opinions. EVEN if your opinion is based off of wrong, stupid, or bigoted information.

But for the purpose of a DISCUSSION, all three of those are meaningless. Because none of them really allow for any conversation beyond "Uhm... you have issues" to the first person.

We're all guilty of it sometimes, but you should ALWAYS try and make sure you actually have a talking point of worth in your post. Something that introduces a new aspect of the topic or comments on someone's previous post.
Saying "I am indifferent" does nothing other than inflate your post count.
Saying "+1" is almost as stupid
Saying "You are stupid" is, you guessed it, stupid (I'll give it least stupid of those options though).

And I think the internet is fostering this. Ironically, it is discouraging actual communication and encouraging people to "retweet" and "+1" posts, rather than actually SAY stuff.

That's the thing though, what else is there to discuss regarding this topic? My "meh" comment has generated more discussion than the actual topic, which doesn't say much for the original topic.

Mindwedge
05-10-2012, 12:39 AM
<---has only ever once used +1 (+2 actually) in his lifetime, and not here. I'll try to be more careful. Thanks for the advice.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 12:39 AM

Because.....?

Also you derailing the thread because you've got 'issues' and a spam habit is not adding to it.

gundato
05-10-2012, 12:40 AM

That's the thing though, what else is there to discuss regarding this topic? My "meh" comment has generated more discussion than the actual topic, which doesn't say much for the original topic.

Then don't post. There is NOTHING stopping you from posting. People bitch at me for only arguing. That is because I don't bother to post if all I would say is "I agree with this statement"

And a topic derailment doesn't necessarily say the original topic had no opportunity for discussion. People were discussing his future plans (in humorous detail), others (like myself) remembered him for what he was: An arrogant son of a bitch who truly cared about gaming.
Outside of MAYBE bilbo (that rude comment at least could have led to a discussion on his assholish tendencies) and possibly Rake, your post was the first pointless post in general.

And general rule of thumb: if you have to add "10char", don't hit post. :p

Mindwedge
05-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Still haven't figured out what "10char" means. Can I get a little help here?

gundato
05-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Still haven't figured out what "10char" means. Can I get a little help here?
Try to make a post that is under 10 characters.

I am not sure if the RPS forums do it (I assume they do), but it is a common way for people to make sure a post meets the requirements to get posted. I've never understood though since "10char" is only 6 characters, but I guess the linebreaks help and people usually say "yes" or "+1" which are 3 and 2 chars respectively.

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Then don't post. There is NOTHING stopping you from posting. People bitch at me for only arguing. That is because I don't bother to post if all I would say is "I agree with this statement"

And a topic derailment doesn't necessarily say the original topic had no opportunity for discussion. People were discussing his future plans (in humorous detail), others (like myself) remembered him for what he was: An arrogant son of a bitch who truly cared about gaming.
Outside of MAYBE bilbo (that rude comment at least could have led to a discussion on his assholish tendencies) and possibly Rake, your post was the first pointless post in general.

My post was the most important post, because it represented the will of the people.

Nalano
05-10-2012, 02:24 AM

umad?

10char

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 04:05 AM
umad?

10char

lol'd
10char

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
umad?

10char

I fear you can only dream of arousing such passions in people tbh.

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I fear you can only dream of arousing such passions in people tbh.

Yeah, he can only dream of upsetting someone so much that they would report him.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah, he can only dream of upsetting someone so much that they would report him.

LOL. Now whose mad.

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
LOL. Now whose mad.

You, apparently.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
You, apparently.

Admireable as your dogged defense of your boyfriend is I have wonder when you'll realise he's just not that into you.

Jesus_Phish
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
So who else pretends when they're reading forums that the words in posts are being said by the avatar of the poster?

Seeing Hyper and Kadayi going at it is particularly amusing in my head as its like a fight between two stuffed toys.

Also Kadayi, the argument of

You're not the internet-meaningful-judge for everyone. His opinion is as meaningful as anyone else's. I now know not to try talk to him about Cliffy B leaving Epic, because he doesn't care for it! Knowledge!

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Admireable as your dogged defense of your boyfriend is I have wonder when you'll realise he's just not that into you.

This seems like a report worthy slew of insults to me....

... but I'm above that kind of thing.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
You're not the internet-meaningful-judge for everyone. His opinion is as meaningful as anyone else's. I now know not to try talk to him about Cliffy B leaving Epic, because he doesn't care for it! Knowledge!

This isn't a pub, it's an internet forum. When people are asking for technical help do others chime in with 'sorry mate haven't a clue?' posts? Would you consider that meaningful?

Jesus_Phish
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
This isn't a pub, it's an internet forum. When people are asking for technical help do others chime in with 'sorry mate haven't a clue?' posts?

No, but that's because in that type of thread, someone is asking for specific help. The only reason to answer is if you can offer help.

In this thread, it's an open topic, ergo all opinions are valid for being expressed.

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
No, but that's because in that type of thread, someone is asking for specific help. The only reason to answer is if you can offer help.

In this thread, it's an open topic, ergo all opinions are valid for being expressed.

I don't see how 'meh?' is a meaningful opinion. Sure it tells us a lot about Hyper, but that's nothing new.

Hypernetic
05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't see how 'meh?' is a meaningful opinion. Sure it tells us a lot about Hyper, but that's nothing new.

Nah, you do. You are just pretending you don't because I was the one who said it, let's be honest here.

QuantaCat
05-10-2012, 12:06 PM
By jove, these discussions have reached an all time low. I wish I had locking powers...

Kadayi
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Nah, you do. You are just pretending you don't because I was the one who said it, let's be honest here.

You mistake me for Finicky.

Rossignol
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Gentlemen, no.