PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your games?

SirDavies
04-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I've been playing a ton of different games lately, specially indie ones, and it's getting a bit hard to keep them organized, I even forgot I had already purchased one and bought it a second time :(. It's fairly easy with steam games, but even then it starts to be a bit hard when you have more than 50 games. I also know that you can add non-steam games to your library, but Steam decides to delete them on random occasions which makes doing the whole process again kind of annoying. How do your keep your digital gaming library organized and easily accessible?

Nalano
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Alphabetically.

I tend to have a good memory of what I do and don't have, because I don't keep long backlogs of games I've yet to play.

mashakos
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I simplify how I download and instal games:
steam games go into a 2TB partition (maybe two years before I might need to expand it).
GoG,Getgames and other digitally downloaded game installs go into a 4TB partition.

Before I buy a game outside of steam, I do a quick search in both partitions to make sure I don't repurchase the same game.

Giaddon
04-10-2012, 07:18 PM
By genre, with a special pile of games I plan on playing in the near future.

Sakkura
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I try not to buy more than my brain can handle. And I tend to just divide my Steam library in favorites and non-favorites, the latter being all the stuff I'm done with or not interested in.

Other than that I think my Steam games are just sorted alphabetically.

Jesus_Phish
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I simplify how I download and instal games:
steam games go into a 2TB partition (maybe two years before I might need to expand it).
GoG,Getgames and other digitally downloaded game installs go into a 4TB partition.

Before I buy a game outside of steam, I do a quick search in both partitions to make sure I don't repurchase the same game.

Like this but with different sized drives.

If it's not listed in steam or on one of these drives I don't own it. However, I rarely don't remember if I own a game or not.

Sparkasaurusmex
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Create an email folder for the mails you get when you buy a bundle. I keep mine in there. Haven't even download half of them yet. I wonder how long those links will last...

I use icons on my desktop for games I play. They are sorted by date modified.

mickygor
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Alphabetically.

Winged Nazgul
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
We're supposed to organize our games?

caljohnston
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
localhost:/opt/wine/drive_c/games$ ls
arcanum Half Life 1 and Mods Pack ja2-1.13 KSP

RakeShark
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
On my old machine I had a few lists:

Favorites
Retro
Coop
Strategy
Potato
Should Play
Everything Else

mashakos
04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
localhost:/opt/wine/drive_c/games$ ls
arcanum Half Life 1 and Mods Pack ja2-1.13 KSP

is that a statement on the size of Linux's game library?

Moraven
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Right now most digital games I have purchased I can redownload whenever I want. I am sure there is a couple I have that had a limited download window. Now the installer is buried somewhere on my PC.

For my current games that I am playing and recently installed, I use Stardock's free version of Fences and have the shortcuts to my games in their own Fence.

Mohorovicic
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
There's not enough of them to worry about it.

Kadayi
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Steam catagories: -

Explore/strat (for open ended games like Civ)
Finished (self explanatory)
To finish/replay (things that got set aside or deserve revisiting)
To play (new/old titles that are currently untouched)
Playing (new/old titles currently actively being played)
Incoming (pre-order titles)

I essentially add everything to Steam (including Origin) that way I keep tabs on the lot.

gundato
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
NES/PSX/PS2: They are in a box somewhere
PS3: I keep them on a shelf, alphabetically
PSP: I have one UMD game (Dracula X Chronicles... For Symphony...) and that is always in my PSP anyway

PC:
I try to avoid using too many stores so that I can just check a few folders in gmail with bundle information and then GoG, Gamersgate, Steam, and Desura.

As far as what I have installed: It is either in Steam, Origin, or a Fence on my desktop that I call "Video Games". And I try not to have too much installed anyway.

Squirly
04-10-2012, 08:03 PM
is that a statement on the size of Linux's game library?

To be fair, those are some damn quality games.

Nalano
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
On my old machine I had a few lists:

Favorites
Retro
Coop
Strategy
Potato
Should Play
Everything Else

I was really hoping the capitalized letters would spell something.

fuzzy logic
04-10-2012, 10:20 PM
PC: Steam Categories:

Backlog - These are the games I have beaten exactly 4 times each.
Meh - The most stellar games my library has to offer. I play these daily.
Defeated - Haven't even downloaded.
Games - You can't get rid of this one--far as I know. It's home to Source: Filmmaker and the Garry's Mod 13 beta. Also, an all purpose shortcut I name whatever I wish to announce to my Steam friends. But really it just launches Notepad++.

I also have games on: GoG, GreenManGaming (well, not really, all of them are Steamworks games), Amazon, GameFly (Direct 2 Drive devolved into this, it's not my fault!) and Gamer's Gate. I'm quite confident I've never purchased something I already owned (on accident).

PS3: I have three physical games; one is on top of the PS3. The other two are on a shelf. Get on my level?

Also, I'm new here, hello. If I surpass 50 posts in the next year, I'll have surprised myself.

Ravelle
04-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a folder labeled games on my hard disk, I just install everything in that and games I play most are shortcutted to my desktop.

RakeShark
04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I was really hoping the capitalized letters would spell something.

In the interest of a cheap chuckle I will rename my Library tabs just for you.

Independent
♥ - Favorites
World Building Games
Action Games
Never Played
Games of Yore

bad guy
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
As a picky gamer, I don't have a truckload of games.
Only using Desura, GOG.
I still buy the physical copy when possible.

Anyone else here install all games to C:\Games\ ?

Nalano
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
In the interest of a cheap chuckle I will rename my Library tabs just for you.

Independent
♥ - Favorites
World Building Games
Action Games
Never Played
Games of Yore

:D

10characters

Wheelz
04-10-2012, 11:02 PM

This. I also tend to install all my software applications there, and just generally treat it like a myDoc's folder as well.

DarkFenix
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I sort my games in the time-honoured manner of the clusterfuck. My desk has a heap of games on one end, my desktop is cluttered with shortcuts and E:\Program Files (x86) is a borderline impenetrable tangle of 'random shit'.

Just as well I set aside a 1Tb drive for my games alone. Only 150-odd Gb free space remaining though, might actually have to clean it up in the next year or so.

bad guy
05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
my desktop is cluttered with shortcuts and E:\Program Files (x86) is a borderline impenetrable tangle of 'random shit'. Aarrg! I hate you people!
Don't want to see what your Start menu looks like.
You probably still have have the IE icon on you desktop.
;)

DarkFenix
05-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Aarrg! I hate you people!
Don't want to see what your Start menu looks like.
You probably still have have the IE icon on you desktop.
;)

No IE icon in fact, it all starts out so nicely for me with a nice clean desktop devoid of needless items. Then it all goes wrong a year or so later when I stop bothering; currently I have 103 desktop icons, auto-arranged with no discernable order. As for my start menu, even I don't want to see what it looks like.

SirKicksalot
05-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I once had more than 700 items on my desktop. I save all pics on it.

Mindwedge
05-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I keep them on shelves by platform, but it has failed me. I've purchased at least 2 of them twice.

soldant
05-10-2012, 12:58 AM
I install to D:\Games, does that count? I put all my non-Steam games in there and it works out great.

As for Steam - I have categories by genre, and then show only installed games.

Now, if only devs would stick their savegames in one, single, friggin' folder as opposed to doing a thousand different things, so that I can easily back them up...

Mohorovicic
05-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Games on same partition as the OS, other software, and virtual?

Erm, no.

Voon
05-10-2012, 07:06 AM
From the ones I like to play to the ones I loathe. Top to bottom

Oshada
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
I use Fences and sort them by Steam, Origin, DRM free, etc.

archonsod
05-10-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't bother.

NathanH
05-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I organize my games efficiently through the methods of memory and not buying random bundles of stuff. Occasionally the first method causes an old CD to go missing. I think I have only lost two games that I would quite like to play again, so it's not a bad system.

Henke
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I use Steam categories.

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/2489/steamlibrary.jpg

Done is games I've finished or played enough that I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of. I might end up replaying some of these but it's unlikely.

Unplayed, and will stay that way are mostly games I've gotten in bundles that I'm not interested in. I've still given most of them a try for a level or two before consigning them to what is essentially the trashbin of my Steam library.

Games is the main category. That's where I keep games I've yet to play or am currently playing. Games I've finished but feel like I might give a replay are also here.

And I always install non-Steam games under C:\Games.

mashakos
06-10-2012, 02:41 AM

good luck switching to an SSD!

bad guy
06-10-2012, 10:11 PM
What do you mean?
I'll be doing a fresh install of everything when I build a new rig with a new OS.

Sparkasaurusmex
06-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Same here. I tend to stay organized by letting it all get sloppy and eventually installs everywhere... then reformat after my yearly upgrade (even if unnecessary). My upgrading is always a post-Christmas event, so right now everything looks pretty ugly. Going to get a lot worse with the upcoming fourth quarter releases, but it'll be nice and clean come January.

AntediluvianArk
07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
I use Steam categories:

Abandoned: Games with minimal playtime that I no longer have an interest in.
Retired: Games that I did not complete but put a lot of time in, remember fondly, or mp games that I no longer play.
Completed: Games wherein I saw the credits roll.
Continuous: Active mp games, or long-form games like Civ V, Sins Rebellion, Endless Space, Skyrim, etc.
Playing: Typically a single player game where I am actively working through the campaign.
Tier 1: Games that reside on the top of my queue.
Tier 2: The middle range of my unplayed queue.
Tier 3: Games that I don't plan to play for a long time and often get shifted to "Abandoned" status.
Games: Steam's default category where new purchases reside until I sort/categorize them.

This organization scheme is a more complex iteration of something I heard on a podcast. The whole hierarchy and intent is geared towards taking an active roll in completing my games (i.e. reducing the tyranny of the "Pile"). Everything is presorted so I don't dwell on what to play next and I regularly move Tier 1 games into my active "Continuous" or "Playing" categories and then complete them or eventually move them to "Retired" which is an honorable discharge or "Abandoned" which is a dishonorable discharge. It is a well-oiled machine built for the purpose of completing the games that I have mentally placed on a pedestal.

I do not have an organization scheme for non-Steam games, though I will use GOG's or GamerGate's shelves to organize my purchases games somewhat (such as making low-interest games "hidden"). If I complete a non-Steam game (e.g. GOG version Witcher) I move the Steam license to its appropriate category...and yes I do buy some games multiple times across multiple platforms...I have bought the Witcher three times and the Witcher 2 twice to actively support developers that I respect and care for.

squirrel
07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Buy a game, install them, then download crackers to remove disc check / whatever stupid check it has, then I dont need disc to play the game. I picked most discs in cardboard boxes and put them away in storage room for years. Never quite motivated to maintain a library management for them.

tomeoftom
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
D:/games/!storage for zips, .isos, install files, etc
D:/games/ for installed and unzipped games, then chuck a shortcut in that same directory.
Steam, GoG, Origin and ilk installed also in D:/games/

My desktop is completely clear, and psychologically it's so much nicer - just a giant lovely wallpaper image and a clean slate. Windows 7's "hit Windows key and type" is actually faster than anything else, for me, anyway. For games not in the registry I just open /games/ and use the shortcut. The Start Bar search is really, really, really useful.

Finicky
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
My games are all over the place...
I have lots of physical dics based games , loads of stuff on steam, a few on gog , a few on that shitty origin service and a few on other DD services , several that have their own account systems (world of tanks etc) and a bunch of pirated stuff too.

I don't really organise tbh.

I have a few categories on steam to keep things easy to find because my list got too big, and a bunch of shortcuts on my desktop of stuff I still want to play/play that isn't on steam.

The desktop shortcuts are nice, my desktop may look really messy with all the icons and folders but it's nice to randomly notice a game that I haven't played in a while.
Not like there is any other use for the desktop space anyhow with Pin to taskbar and libraries in win7 or just typing in the first 3 letters in the start menu, it has just become a post it board for random stuff that I need to/want to be reminded of or never want to lose track of.

Adam
07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I bought an hard disk exclusive for games. I've got five folders. Steam, GOG.com, Desura, Retail and lastly Miscellaneous. I also have an encrypted database of all game purchases with links and product keys.