PDA

View Full Version : Scandal! RPS fan thinking of getting a PS3, looking for games suggestions...

dbdkmezz
05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I've been considering getting a PS3 (I don't think there's a single XBox exclusive I'm not indifferent to, and I'd also knida like to play blu-rays), but I realised there's not a lot of games out yet that I want to play. Saying that, I bought a second hand PS2 for £50 and that was worth it to play ICO alone (man, I loved that game -- played the whole thing in one afternoon/evening, and I never do that!) Can anyone suggest good (and I mean GOOD, i.e. good enough to justify buying the platform for) PS3 games?
My current list of ideas is (in the order I care about them):

The Last Guaridian (not yet released),
Heavy Rain,
Uncharted 3 (I played 2 on a friend's PS3, and WOW, I had fun!) (not yet released),
Journey (not yet released),
Flower,
Noby Noby Boy,
Red Dead Redemption?,
Pixel Junk Shooter?
Demon's Souls? (I'll probably never finish it because I don't play long games for long, but I like hard games sometimes (well, Super Meat Boy is a favourite (and I know this is nothing like SMB other than being hard))),
God of War?

Thoughts? Are any of these games actually not worth playing? What have I missed?

(By the way, I'm short on gaming time nowadays, and I get board easily (both Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's creed I really enjoyed for 8 hours or so, then I mastered the gameplay and just got bored). So short and amazing are what I'm looking for. I think that what I mainly care about is good (i.e. challenging and interesting) gameplay or atmosphere. My favourite recent (ish) games are Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Braid, Starcraft 2, SpaceGiraffe, Left 4 Dead, HL2, Bioshock, Uncharted 2, ICO, Dear Esther, and VVVVVV. Given the limited amount of time I want to spend gaming anything less good than that sort of thing isn't worth my time. But I'd happily buy a PS3 just for 3 or 4 games of that kind of quality.)

Thanks!

Vexing Vision
05-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Red Dead Redemption is an incredible atmospheric, well-designed game. Well, for everything apart from the shooting (which you'll do a lot) and which is a bit of a pain if you ever played a PC shooter.

There's also a lot of things to do, and if you really like atmosphere, you'll never once use the fast-travel system. Some shooting-gallery missions are a pain though, but again, that's because of controller < mouse when it comes to shooting at least.

Xercies
05-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for a good multiplayer game, fighting or otherwise on the system.

ntw
05-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Dead nation.

Sproutmask
05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I'll try to stick to PS3 exclusives here, as you'll probably know all about the cross-platform stuff (I think these are all PS3 only but ready to stand corrected). I'll comment on MP where I can to see if I can help both Xercies and the OP. These are old-ish but good games so should be cheap to buy. Most of them are common second hand.

Little Big Planet has nice co-op play. It's a basic platformer at heart, but the level editor and general very high level of quality and polish, not to mention Steven Fry, lifts it above the crowd. I don't have 2 yet so can't comment on that.

Resistance 2 has interesting MP options though I don't know how many people are online with it these days. I really enjoyed both Resistance games, with 2 being my personal preference, though R1 scores Brit points for having levels set in Manchester, Nottingham, Cheddar Gorge and London. It is also probably the only game that will ever include Hull as a level.

I'd heartily recommend Motorstorm: Pacific Rift for a fun racing game. Single player wise, Infamous was, I thought, terrific, although it has a morality system that makes Mass Effect look subtle. It's got a great comic book atmosphere and nicely fluid gameplay going for it. If you want something horror-ish, Condemned 2 is well worth a look and generally very cheap to buy. It's also got a very, very good first-person melee system.

PSN ID is Rankincountry (I used to live in Brentford and am a Robert Rankin fan) if anyone wants to look me up there. Hope this gives you a few ideas to get going, also interesting to see if any other PS3-ers agree with my selection ;-)

The JG Man
05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Red Dead Redemption relies on you liking Rockstar games. If you like GTA without getting bored and you have at least a fleeting interest in westerns or knowledge of the genre, you'll love it. The game has a dull middle act and the ending is very, very marmitey. I would give it a sturdy 3.5. There were too many times I was having to work to play the game rather than simply enjoying it. The atmosphere, way of playing is all pretty good. I found the shooting to be fairly satisfying and all adding to the atmosphere anyhow.

I can recommend Lara Croft: Guardian of Light. It's an absolutely fantastic twin-stick shooter/puzzler (emphasis on the latter) that has a good co-op mode. It's a PSN game.

Talking about PSN and this is an exclusive that makes me want the PS3; WipeOut HD. If you like racing games, if you like The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers and a variety of other music in that same vein (instrumentals only here) WipeOut is just...it's insane. And I've not even played the PS3 version. It's my favourite racing game franchise. You get mental tracks, hovercraft that go over 1200km/h and weapons. It's not Mario Kart, more it's a racer with weapons.

Depending on your interests, there's always Metal Gear Solid too.

outoffeelinsobad
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
You mentioned Demon's Souls, but I don't think you've got any idea of how great it is.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/acz2t/let_me_tell_you_about_demons_souls/

dbdkmezz
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
You mentioned Demon's Souls, but I don't think you've got any idea of how great it is.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/acz2t/let_me_tell_you_about_demons_souls/
Ahhh, that sounds AMAZING! Sounds worth buying a PS3 for that alone! Thanks! :)

@The JG Man & @Vexing Vision On the Red Dead front, yes, I do like Rockstar games, I just might not finish it. That doesn't really matter, if the first ten hours of getting used to the world and gameplay are good enough then I'm happy just playing that. I really like learning new games and getting a feel for their atmosphere of their worlds.

Also, WipeOut, good, I'd forgotten about that. I do like a bit of racing fun.

@Sproutmask LBP is something else I'd thought about. And I am looking for some co-op fun, maybe I'll get one of them for that. The other games you mention look interesting too. And the magic of consoles is that I can rent games, and see what I think (or blitz through them on the day after a massive work deadline!)

Thanks everyone for the help so far! It's looking like I may well have to get one of these!

Rii
07-07-2011, 02:15 PM
MGS4. It's a mess, but a glorious one at that.

As for a good fighting game on the system, check out Blazblue.

groovychainsaw
07-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Demon's souls is good enough that me and Quinns chatted about the subtle nuances of that game for nearly 1/2 an hour last time i saw him at the social. And I had so many other games I wanted to talk about :-). So, so good. Almost all the games in the initial list would be the ones I'd recommend. Both uncharted games are great, at the pinnacle of action-platforming. Racing games are pretty good, with wipeout, the motorstorm series, gran turismo for the sim-lovers, and then mostly things that have also come out on the pc (need for speed:hp, burnout etc. etc.). Infamous is also generally underrated, i really enjoyed playing through it, gets good fun once you have the ability to grind across the entire city (it like jet set radio for those who get that reference...). I also like the resistance series, the PS3 has probably the worst of all pads for playing shooters, but its still a decent game with some innovative guns in it if you're a bit shooter-jaded like myself :-)

icupnimpn2
07-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Could give Valkyria Chronicles a look. It was a critical darling and sold fairly well, was a little hard to find and stores kinda ran out of it. Used I've seen it as low as $15. It's turn-based tactical battles JRPG style but with movement and shooting in a FPS viewpoint. Really nice toon-shaded graphics in a sci-fi fantasy setting.

3D dot game heroes is like the original Legend of Zelda on crack rock. You can design your own voxel hero. Also by Demon's Souls' From Software and gets a bit hardcore.

Katamari Forever - not as great as the originals, but if you've never played one you'll have a blast.

Any Ratchet & Clank - polished, fun shooter platformers

Alex Bakke
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Ooh, MGS4. Yes. Lots and lots of cutscenes, but a very good game.

Xercies
07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I thought MGS4 was a bit to linear and a bit to actiony to be honest. i wouldn't have minded all the cutscenes if the maps were a little bit more open like MGS 1 & 2 but there not, there very single path which is rather disappointing. Sometimes it does open up a little but it doesn't happen enough I don't think.

KillahMate
07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Here it is, exactly what you asked for + some extra good stuff.

Short and amazing:
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Vanquish

Excellent PSNetwork games you might want to consider:
flOw
Joe Danger
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
PixelJunk Eden
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
Space Invaders Infinity Gene

Possibly Brütal Legend, if you're into that sort of thing (polarizing, check before you buy!).

BTW this is very short because I skipped titles already mentioned in the thread. Most of the mentioned stuff is also really good.
(But frankly your own list in the first post already had almost all of the best stuff, all of these suggestions are on top of that :-) )
(Also skipped all the good stuff that has a PC version, for obvious reasons.)

Grizzly
08-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Gran Turismo.