PDA

View Full Version : A bare-bones multiplayer shooter!

augustuskent
06-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Hey lads!

So let me put this into context, I've been craving a bare-bones multiplayer shooter such as the halo series (1-3 mind you) since I sold off my xbox (broke for the fourth time :D).

I've been looking around recently and it seems every shooter is obsessed with this stupid RPG progression system that clearly creates an uneven playing field, which back in my quake days would have been screamed down for its injustice to players.

Problem is as well that I'm in Australia, so the game has to be pretty popular.

Just also of note, I do play TF2 as its the closest I've found, but its still littered with classes and new items, which turns me off to be honest.

Any ideas?

mashakos
06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Nexuiz (http://store.steampowered.com/app/96800/?snr=1_4_4__sfs)? It's pretty cheap right now and... pretty

Finicky
06-10-2012, 02:49 AM
You want to play tf2 (Yeah I'm not a fan of the hats and gimmick guns either, but at least the gameplay remained somewhat intact) or tribes ascend.
Pick a class and gogogo.

Tribes still has unlocks (it's f2p; eugh) but not like in cod or battlefield, you get access to a limited amount of classes unless you buy the starter pack or unlock the manually.
No need to play a bunch of matches to unlock rockets for a plane or some such nonsense.

Not sure what else there is (if anything I too would love to know).
These days it's all about the carrot, it used to be all about the gameplay.

MD!
06-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Quake Live (http://www.quakelive.com) fits the bill.

If you're not familiar with it, it's basically an updated/modified version of Q3, with a browser-based frontend. No weapon unlocks, experience points, any of that bullshit. Level playing field for everyone -- paying money basically gets you access to all of the maps, and to server launching and customisation. The only in-game differences for premium accounts are things like a more detailed scoreboard.

It's not massive, but popular enough in Australia that you should be able to jump into an active server whenever you feel like it.

edit: If you're interested in Nexuiz, you should also check out Xonotic. Xonotic is the new name for what used to be called Nexuiz, a free (open-source?) arena FPS which is in my opinion much better than the new commercial Nexuiz. Not sure about the player-base, though. As far as I know, Xonotic is not dead here but has only a few players left. No idea about Nexuiz, but I would definitely check that it has an active community before buying it.

There's also Warsow, which is brilliant, but rarely played in Aus at the moment.

cpugeek13
06-10-2012, 04:29 AM
There's always Counterstrike. No unlocks or unbalanced weapons to be found there (AWP excluded), just skill imbalances. Been having some good times with CS: Global Offensive lately.

internetonsetadd
06-10-2012, 05:51 AM
On the horizon:

Ravaged
Rekoil
Insurgency 2

The latter two looked fairly dull to me, but they definitely qualify as barebone. I've played at least a small rodent's lifetime of CS, but I prefer more variation and less stringently competitive/"fair" play these days. Not because I like powerful upgrades, but because I enjoy the dynamism of encountering random advantages and trying to counter those advantages with skill.

I think Blacklight: Retribution does a reasonable job at maintaining balance even with unlocks and a wide variety of weapons and equipment. I'm level 28, and I'm still mostly using gear that was available to me at level 1. I haven't come across a weapon/playstyle that didn't have a very clear weakness.

Henke
06-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Counterstrike

Or, if you want a free alternative which you don't need to install but can play simply by clicking a link as long as you have Unity installed: BeGone (http://www.nplay.com/BeGone/)

LTK
06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Has Shootmania been released yet?

Rauten
06-10-2012, 01:58 PM
It's still in beta, and quite a bit TOO barebones for my personal taste.

CuriousOrange
06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Another recommendation of CSGO. I really thought I'd burned out on the multiplayer shooter after the disappointment of BF3. Then I just realised I hate unlocks and unfair advantages. Now I'm right back on them again.

tomeoftom
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
That fucking carrot. I swear it ruins 90% of the games I'm interested in nowadays. Just pathetic.

Grizzly
06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I found BF3's unlocks to be... not a problem, actually (The starting weapons are quite awesome on their own anyway).

But, I triple the commendation for CS:GO. And I would say that the AWP is not THAT overpowered, as you need to stand still to aim and it is ridiciously expensive.

LowKey
06-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Enemy territory? Does xp raising but depending on the server its usually not a problem

Sparkasaurusmex
07-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Wolf ET is free now, I believe. That was an awesome game and a real good way to do XP gain. It was only persistent for one campaign, or one time through all the maps. Kind of sucked when you joined in the last couple of maps, but it would all be reset in a few rounds.

Quake ET is similar, but I did not enjoy that one as much as Wolfenstein.