PDA

View Full Version : How to unlock Dishonored and X-Com tomorrow morning. (For EU)

SectoidBro
08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Both of these games are not coming out on Friday, they are coming out on TUESDAY.

They both release at something like six AM UK time, in America. Yes, it's that bullshit 'games come out in time in America but nowhere else' thing.

But there's a solution!

To unlock the games when they're REALLY out instead of the bullshit european release date do this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/..._the/?sort=new (http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/100r72/do_you_live_in_europe_heres_how_to_unlock_the/?sort=new)

with this: http://www.spotflux.com/

Common consensus says that Valve don't care if you do this to unlock games WHEN THEY ARE REALLY RELEASED.

But DO NOT USE THIS TO BUY GAMES. If you buy games while using soptflux or a VPN, YOU WILL BE BANNED.

ONLY USE THIS METHOD TO UNLOCK GAMES AT THEIR REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

And for God's sake, stand up for the right to get games released at their REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

Davkaus
08-10-2012, 09:11 PM
And for God's sake, stand up for the right to get games released at their REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

I don't see any way of doing this other than not buying the game.

The publishers don't give a shit about you bypassing the restriction by using a VPN, or posting on their forum politely asking them to stop it.

Revisor
08-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Just don't forget that with a VPN, be it FlyVPN, Spotflux or whatever, you give an unknown party complete control over your whole internet traffic.

QuantaCat
08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
so the officialy release time is 0600 GMT?

Gorzan
08-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I don't see any way of doing this other than not buying the game.

Not buying doesn't say "I want this at the same time as everyone else" it says "I don't want this"

Kadayi
09-10-2012, 12:33 AM
ANGRY RANT

The issue has little to do with publishers and everything to do with European retail distribution and the vast physical mechanisms that underpin it (those scary portalseque warehouses out in the middle of nowhere). Certain types of goods get shipped on certain days by logistics companies and shuffling the deck largely isn't on the cards because that means other stuff would have to be moved to other days. It's not some mad conspiracy, it's simply that the incentive isn't there. Occasionally in there's enough motivation as with a game like WoW or MW3 where there's genuine fever pitch clamouring things will get bumped to coincide with the US release at retailer request (someone like a Tesco or Sainsbury has that sort of clout) but by on large it ain't happening.

Feel free to get mad, alternatively just evolve patience. Personally I'd rather the US subscribed to the Friday idea tbh, because Tuesdays a workday.

gundato
09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Yeah. I've never really liked new games on Tuesdays.

New comics on Wednesdays is tolerable though. Still would prefer the weekend to savor it, but swinging by the local comic book shop during lunch on Wednesdays is quite doable.

Hypernetic
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
The issue has little to do with publishers and everything to do with European retail distribution and the vast physical mechanisms that underpin it (those scary portalseque warehouses out in the middle of nowhere). Certain types of goods get shipped on certain days by logistics companies and shuffling the deck largely isn't on the cards because that means other stuff would have to be moved to other days. It's not some mad conspiracy, it's simply that the incentive isn't there. Occasionally in there's enough motivation as with a game like WoW or MW3 where there's genuine fever pitch clamouring things will get bumped to coincide with the US release at retailer request (someone like a Tesco or Sainsbury has that sort of clout) but by on large it ain't happening.

Feel free to get mad, alternatively just evolve patience. Personally I'd rather the US subscribed to the Friday idea tbh, because Tuesdays a workday.

Games are released on Tuesday for business reasons. Since most things don't ship on Sundays it allows retailers to receive shipments on Mondays and stock their shelves before Tuesday. If a game (or anything really, most media releases on Tuesdays here) is selling well during the week, it allows them to get more in stock by the weekend for the weekend shoppers. Sales figures are traditionally released on Monday as well, which means they get pretty much an entire week of sales in before the first numbers report.

For all of the above reasons I sincerely doubt the date will ever be changed, at least not while brick and mortar stores are still relevant.

TillEulenspiegel
09-10-2012, 01:09 AM
at least not while brick and mortar stores are still relevant.
So, maybe 5-10 years. Physical digital media is dead. Not for the next generation of consoles, but the one after that. iOS is the model for console makers to follow, with Steam's preloading feature tacked on.

Bent Wooden Spoon
09-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Not buying doesn't say "I want this at the same time as everyone else" it says "I don't want this"

Which is exactly why, when boycotting whatever product for whatever reason, you're also supposed to send some kind of letter or email telling the boycottee what you're boycotting and why. Too many people seem to think you boycott stuff just by not buying it, without letting them know why you're not buying it. I can only assume these people think companies employ clairvoyants to find this kind of shit out, because otherwise I have no idea what they think they're achieving.

While everything you've said is true, it would be nice if they could release in the EU the Friday before if the game's already gold and distributed, rather than us mostly (but not always) having to wait until our pondly neighbours have gotten their grubby mits on it first. Although at present I'm just happy we don't have to wait for a month after the console release.

soldant
09-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Thing is that it's not NA v EU, it's NA v everywhere else. Here in Australia some pubs manage to get the game released at the same time as the US, so I doubt that shipping problems are their major consideration. We're either lumped with the US (in which case brick and mortar stores break the date usually the day before, but Steam still locks you out) or with the EU, which makes no sense.

Hypernetic
09-10-2012, 04:41 AM
So, maybe 5-10 years. Physical digital media is dead. Not for the next generation of consoles, but the one after that. iOS is the model for console makers to follow, with Steam's preloading feature tacked on.

You lost me on the iOS part. Are you saying consoles should sell games through an app store type interface? The apple app store sucks from a design standpoint, it's pages and pages of crap everywhere.

Bent Wooden Spoon
09-10-2012, 04:56 AM
You lost me on the iOS part. Are you saying consoles should sell games through an app store type interface? The apple app store sucks from a design standpoint, it's pages and pages of crap everywhere.

Don't think he's necessarily saying that's what should happen, so much as it's what will happen. One look at the NXE that got shoved out on the 360 shows that at least one manufacturer isn't too concerned about ubiquitous pages of crap.

Bent Wooden Spoon
09-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Thing is that it's not NA v EU, it's NA v everywhere else. Here in Australia some pubs manage to get the game released at the same time as the US, so I doubt that shipping problems are their major consideration. We're either lumped with the US (in which case brick and mortar stores break the date usually the day before, but Steam still locks you out) or with the EU, which makes no sense.

It's really NA vs other large economic blocs. Economic backwaters like the one I'm in at the moment tend to get the same release date as the US, presumably because there's aren't any physical releases at all and the number of people who actually buy their games from a DD service instead of a pirated DVD from a market stall can be counted on your thumb.

deano2099
09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Too many people seem to think you boycott stuff just by not buying it, without letting them know why you're not buying it. I can only assume these people think companies employ clairvoyants to find this kind of shit out, because otherwise I have no idea what they think they're achieving.

Companies read the internet.

Patrick Swayze
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Well Spotflux here I come. I shall QQ here if my Steam account is banned ;D

palindrome
09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
This works, if Steam goes online at all with your real IP the game will lock again though.

Patrick Swayze
09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Works a treat. Getting my ass whooped now. I can wait a few days to play Gaige on Borderlands again im sure :D

Thanks guys

Faldrath
09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
It's really NA vs other large economic blocs. Economic backwaters like the one I'm in at the moment tend to get the same release date as the US, presumably because there's aren't any physical releases at all and the number of people who actually buy their games from a DD service instead of a pirated DVD from a market stall can be counted on your thumb.

Brazil sometimes gets the US release date, sometimes the EU one, sometimes a date between those. I have never been able to detect any consistency, so it probably depends on the publisher.

SectoidBro
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Lol

So many people arguing

So few people playing their games.

I've been playing XCom all morning. :D

Jac
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
So could someone who has done this before clarify the following for me please:

As i understand it: Game bought through steam / wherever normally. Use the VPN thing and set to US. Log onto steam. Unlock game. Go offline and enjoy.

Now what happens on the release date for your real region (I.e Europe) a is the game forever locked to be played in offline mode or through a VPN or will it then work normally?

Sketch
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
It'll just work as normal.

Patrick Swayze
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I do believe its better to keep Steam in offline mode, but I haven't tried taking Steam back online.

Also spotflux requires no settings to be altered, it just works.

gundato
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Just do it at your own discretion. It is not a stretch of the imagination that Valve would record how often someone changes their region. And if it becomes obvious that you change it for every launch, there could be repercussions.

Sort of like "data smuggling". Nobody cares if you do it every so often or just for a friend or two, but if you do it often enough to be noticed, you can lose purchasing abilities.

soldant
09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
It's a risk we take, but I did the same as Patrick, and it worked. Just remember not to log in under your own region IP - kick Steam into offline mode or block it using your firewall temporarily.

If you try to run the game from your own IP in a region where the game isn't released, it'll re-lock itself.

Kadayi
09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Lol

So many people arguing

So few people playing their games.

I've been playing XCom all morning. :D

Some of us have jobs.

Patrick Swayze
09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Some of us have jobs.

Need to join the elite work-from-home master race.

Kadayi
09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Need to join the elite work-from-home master race.

and play games instead of work?

kataras
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I was looking at the official forums and it seems that the game is already out in France. I have not been able to check as I m at work still but visiting the steam shop it says it's available to buy now and nothing about unlocking etc.

Patrick Swayze
09-10-2012, 05:56 PM

YES.

I'm something of a night owl and keep strange hours. Generally make use of the daytime to ride ze bike and spend the nights working. And Vidya whenever I feel like it.

I have multiple jobs though, and work weekends. That sucks when it comes to friday releases, the gamer friends have often finished games before I have the chance to have a good sit down.

frenz0rz
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm tempted to do this as I'm desperate for XCOM and all my US friends are playing it, but a ban on my Steam account would be too crippling to even consider risking. Then again, Friday feels so, so far away.

Perhaps its time for another John Walker rant?

SirKicksalot
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Play games as you work! I do it with turn based games. Like XCOM.

Tei
09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I have a job, and I am european, and I can't wait. So I *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* to play games the minute are released (or wen I get home, err... 7 PM GMT+2)

This is not optimal, but I am sure when we first meet a space faring alien race, the first person to contact will be a european, and we will be allowed to ask them to use that part of the world we don't use, and sex slave labor the people living there. And then everything will be fine.

Tikey
09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I want to do this so very much but I'm terrified of losing my steam account.

Sic
09-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I want to do this so very much but I'm terrified of losing my steam account.

This is precisely why I haven't done it yet as well.

I mean, any other account, I might have risked it, but not my Steam account.

Kadayi
09-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Play games as you work! I do it with turn based games. Like XCOM.

I can get away with a little forum/internet viewing and the like (as well as listening to podcasts), but if I was mixing up my work time with playing a strategy game I don't think either my director or my clients would appreciate it tbh. Plus games are what I escape to after work. It would be like drinking on the job.

Also pondered the VPN thing, but my Steam account is way too valuable at this point in time to put it on the line for an extra couple of days.

Lacessit
10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
It would be like drinking on the job.

You mean I shouldn't?

Kadayi
10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
You mean I shouldn't?

Unless you're this man: -

Probably not.

QuantaCat
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
It is good fun, though. Drinking on the job that is.

LeMonde
10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Risks be damned - I can't wait until Friday!

I'm busy Friday.

I'm not busy today.

Thanks

RecklessPrudence
11-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Okay, this is just gorram ridiculous. I live in Australia, where our release dates are often behind the EU, but we get the EU version with French and German and everything, so the only reason they can point to is "shipping times." For once, however, we're not behind you guys, instead Steam says we're getting it on the same date (so, half a day ahead, thanks to time zones). I get a text today from my local gaming store that XCOM is in, a day before Steam says I can play. I ordered it physically because... well, because it's XCOM! A modern turn-based strategy, by a non-indie game studio that had to go through a publisher and everything! ...plus I wanted the physical stuff. It's like an addiction.

Anyway, I go pick it up. Now, if I had've bought it on XBox or PS3, job would be done. I'd go home, pop it in, and play. But since I bought it on PC and it's a Steamworks game, they warn me that Steam might "be stupid," in their words. I come home, pop in the disc, and try to install it. Now, here's where it gets ridiculous. I have, sitting on my desk, two discs' worth of XCOM. All the bonus material, the two A5 pages they're calling a manual, stuff like that. I physically have it. But Steam says it's not unlocked yet.

What.

If the reason Steam has to stagger release dates is because of brick-and-mortar stores, and the reason brick-and-mortar stores don't release at the same time is because of "shipping times" (when I know damn well that they have it in a warehouse before the release date), then why, when I could be playing it on my console right now with a physical disc, can I not play it on my PC? I have a console. I could play it today if that's what I had bought it on. I have the discs, next to my computer. But they're worthless. I can pre-load the game by downloading it, now that I have the code from the back of the manual. But I can't play it. Nor can I install it from the disc, because it's "not released yet."

Aargh!. VPN. Here I come.

georgetownhoya
11-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Okay, this is just gorram ridiculous. I live in Australia, where our release dates are often behind the EU, but we get the EU version with French and German and everything, so the only reason they can point to is "shipping times." For once, however, we're not behind you guys, instead Steam says we're getting it on the same date (so, half a day ahead, thanks to time zones). I get a text today from my local gaming store that XCOM is in, a day before Steam says I can play. I ordered it physically because... well, because it's XCOM! A modern turn-based strategy, by a non-indie game studio that had to go through a publisher and everything! ...plus I wanted the physical stuff. It's like an addiction.

Anyway, I go pick it up. Now, if I had've bought it on XBox or PS3, job would be done. I'd go home, pop it in, and play. But since I bought it on PC and it's a Steamworks game, they warn me that Steam might "be stupid," in their words. I come home, pop in the disc, and try to install it. Now, here's where it gets ridiculous. I have, sitting on my desk, two discs' worth of XCOM. All the bonus material, the two A5 pages they're calling a manual, stuff like that. I physically have it. But Steam says it's not unlocked yet.

What.

If the reason Steam has to stagger release dates is because of brick-and-mortar stores, and the reason brick-and-mortar stores don't release at the same time is because of "shipping times" (when I know damn well that they have it in a warehouse before the release date), then why, when I could be playing it on my console right now with a physical disc, can I not play it on my PC? I have a console. I could play it today if that's what I had bought it on. I have the discs, next to my computer. But they're worthless. I can pre-load the game by downloading it, now that I have the code from the back of the manual. But I can't play it. Nor can I install it from the disc, because it's "not released yet."

Aargh!. VPN. Here I come.

With all this complaining, you'd think you just got wrongfully convicted of murder, instead of having to wait 24 hours to play a computer game.

Using a VPN is a violation of Steam's agreement and (hopefully) your account will be permanently locked. These set release dates exist to give each brick and mortar store equal footing, to ensure that they can continue to provide the physical copies of games you seem attached to.

RecklessPrudence
11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Yes, I get that. Any other day, I might agree with you. But the set release date to give the brick-and-mortar store equal footing instead means that, despite having the disc that I purchased legally, I cannot play my game. I know my last post was an overreaction. But when the stated purpose is to give brick-and-mortar stores an equal footing, and instead means that the game I purchased from a brick and mortar store is unplayable on the day I purchase it, what's the difference between that and Steam releasing a few days earlier? If the brick and mortar store is going to release before the agreed date anyway, and then, because of the agreement that binds Steam to the agreed date, consumers are unable to play, why even have the agreement? If both parties are not dealing honestly, why come to the table in the first place?

I'm just frustrated. And hell, I have to use a VPN to log in to my Uni's network to submit some of my assignments, and I'm sure I've accidentally logged into Steam at least once while that software was active.

Squiz
11-10-2012, 07:13 AM
With all this complaining, you'd think you just got wrongfully convicted of murder, instead of having to wait 24 hours to play a computer game.

Using a VPN is a violation of Steam's agreement and (hopefully) your account will be permanently locked. These set release dates exist to give each brick and mortar store equal footing, to ensure that they can continue to provide the physical copies of games you seem attached to.If you need to get angry about the whole issue, I'd say direct your anger at the dated industry practices that fail to adapt to the reality that is online distribution of media goods and not at someone who points out or experiences the consequences of its flaws.

Way to make a good first impression with that post.

Hypernetic
11-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes, I get that. Any other day, I might agree with you. But the set release date to give the brick-and-mortar store equal footing instead means that, despite having the disc that I purchased legally, I cannot play my game. I know my last post was an overreaction. But when the stated purpose is to give brick-and-mortar stores an equal footing, and instead means that the game I purchased from a brick and mortar store is unplayable on the day I purchase it, what's the difference between that and Steam releasing a few days earlier? If the brick and mortar store is going to release before the agreed date anyway, and then, because of the agreement that binds Steam to the agreed date, consumers are unable to play, why even have the agreement? If both parties are not dealing honestly, why come to the table in the first place?

I'm just frustrated. And hell, I have to use a VPN to log in to my Uni's network to submit some of my assignments, and I'm sure I've accidentally logged into Steam at least once while that software was active.

lol why would you hope anyone got banned for doing this? What the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously? How fucked up are you?

JackShandy
11-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Recklessprudence's anger seems pretty justified to me, honestly. When I bought Human Revolution, steam just shut down and stopped working. Gave me an error message when I booted it up, leaving me unable to play the disc that was right fucking there. Eventually I solved the problem, but being locked out of a game you paid for is massively frustrating. I think you're totally justified in pirating the game or using a VPN if it's the only way to get access to something you genuinely own.

Barnox
11-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Using a VPN is a violation of Steam's agreement and (hopefully) your account will be permanently locked. These set release dates exist to give each brick and mortar store equal footing, to ensure that they can continue to provide the physical copies of games you seem attached to.

But why should brick and mortar stores be given this extra allowance?

Not only are they not providing as good a service as Steam, or even online retailers such as Amazon, they are restricting what we can do with online distribution.
The sooner we let digital and physical go their separate ways, the better.

JackShandy
11-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Right now it seems like they're both weighed down with the problems of each other. If I buy from a brick and mortar store, I still have to deal with steam as if I'd downloaded it online. If I download it online, I still have to wait for the physical release as if I'd bought it in a store.

Retail stores would get all of my money if they played to their strengths. A nice box, map, some trinkets and no DRM. I know they can only put out what game companies give them, but I'm never going to hike out to my local game store just for a disc if I have to activate it online anyway.

The First Door
11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Unless you're this man: -

Probably not.

Now, now! Don't most of the men in that show drink on the job?

Barnox
11-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Right now it seems like they're both weighed down with the problems of each other. If I buy from a brick and mortar store, I still have to deal with steam as if I'd downloaded it online. If I download it online, I still have to wait for the physical release as if I'd bought it in a store.

Retail stores would get all of my money if they played to their strengths. A nice box, map, some trinkets and no DRM. I know they can only put out what game companies give them, but I'm never going to hike out to my local game store just for a disc if I have to activate it online anyway.

I'm the opposite.
I'm not one for clutter or trinkets. Immediate access and digital storage are what I like about digital sales.
Also, I don't have to go down town/wake up early to get the post. Although, if it was at a very competitive price (Viva Pinata for 1.60!), or only avaliable physical, I suppose I have no choice there.

However, to each their own.
That's why I said the separation of digital and retail would be better, although that is probably unlikely to happen.

Kadayi
11-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Now, now! Don't most of the men in that show drink on the job?

But Roger Sterling does it like a boss.

Okami
11-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Guess who works in retail?

Or is just a really bad troll.

Or both.

Patrick Swayze
11-10-2012, 12:42 PM

I'm not one for calling people names, but you are a dick of staggering proportions, creating an account simply to post that

Flint
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
These set release dates exist to give each brick and mortar store equal footing, to ensure that they can continue to provide the physical copies of games you seem attached to.
Brick and mortar stores still stock physical PC game boxes?

Jockie
11-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm not one for calling people names, but you are a dick of staggering proportions, creating an account simply to post that

I second this (the 'you are a dick of staggering proportions' bit that is).

gundato
11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Caring about following the rules and not running brick and mortar stores out of business: Dickish
Flaming people: ??

And as stupid as having different release dates is, I agree with the underlying concept of "Give brick and mortar a chance, don't screw them entirely". Yes, B&M have screwed US entirely, but some people still rely on them.
So yes, you can get the game a few days early from some stores. But that is because those stores are "dicks" as it were. They are violating the release date to make a few extra bucks. You should not reward that behavior.

Imagine you are an author. You have written a super-popular series of novels involving bondage and sparkly vampires. The next novel in the series is about to hit shelves in which your lead girl decides to try out a double-ended buttplug with her werewolf friend. But GASP, some unscrupulous store decided to break release date and now everyone knows that she decides to stick with double-ended dildos with sparkles rather than buttplugs with fuzzy-wuzzy!

Or, imagine you are Stardock. Elemental is probably going to flop either way, but it is in desperate need of a 0-day patch that you are still finishing up. Then you find out that Best Buy ignored the release date and just started selling it a few days early. And because you wanted to cash in on DRM-free gaming, those gamers can play it early. So your FANS who actually bought it from you (and anyone who didn't buy it from Best Buy) is screwed. So you are forced to release it early before the 0-day patch is ready (regardless of if said patch would have helped, 'cause hindsight is 20/20), resulting in a worse experience for everyone involved.

Believe me, I don't like B&M stores when it comes to gaming. They ignore PC gaming and largely gouge people on console gaming. But they are still a large player and people still rely on them, so let's not run them out of business prematurely, okay?

deano2099
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Right, because the first thing you do when wrongfully convicted of murder is post on internet forums about it.

Yes, I get that. Any other day, I might agree with you. But the set release date to give the brick-and-mortar store equal footing instead means that, despite having the disc that I purchased legally, I cannot play my game.

Were it not for the fact that they warned you, I'd take the game back, tell them it doesn't work. Which is the complete truth. If it appears on your Steam account on Friday then that's not your fault is it? (really the true thing at fault here is the shop, for selling a game that still didn't work)

Forceflow
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't risk this. Chance of them coming after your account specifically are slim, but with >200 games tied to my steam account, any risk is too much.

Shooop
11-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Brick and mortar stores still stock physical PC game boxes?

Until someone gets smarter and cuts the prices of all-digital media I'm going to keep buying physical copies. No box means no packaging or shipping costs. No reason not to have a lower sales price. Ridiculous.

Squiz
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Caring about following the rules and not running brick and mortar stores out of business: Dickish
Flaming people: ??You missed the point here. I and others were calling him out for the part of his post where he was hoping that another person would get his Steam account locked.

gundato
11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
You missed the point here. I and others were calling him out for the part of his post where he was hoping that another person would get his Steam account locked.

No, I saw that. I also saw posts as "eloquent" as

lol why would you hope anyone got banned for doing this? What the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously? How fucked up are you?

So yeah. Maybe he was a bit rude, but what do you call someone who spews vitriol to such an obscene and disgusting degree?

Say it with me children: Two wrongs don't make a right

Sparkasaurusmex
11-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Until someone gets smarter and cuts the prices of all-digital media I'm going to keep buying physical copies. No box means no packaging or shipping costs. No reason not to have a lower sales price. Ridiculous.
What's really ridiculous about it is that a lot of these boxed copies only contain a code for Steam on the CD, and you still have to download the whole thing. I was told by the clerk at Gamestop that this is how their boxed copies of XCom are. I have personally only seen it with the NBA 2k games.

georgetownhoya
11-10-2012, 09:33 PM
But why should brick and mortar stores be given this extra allowance?

Not only are they not providing as good a service as Steam, or even online retailers such as Amazon, they are restricting what we can do with online distribution.
The sooner we let digital and physical go their separate ways, the better.

There are physical copies because some people like having boxes and the extras that come with them. If this weren't the case, there'd be no physical copies.

I'm not one for calling people names, but you are a dick

Seems to be a contradiction in here somewhere...

georgetownhoya
11-10-2012, 09:36 PM
If you need to get angry about the whole issue, I'd say direct your anger at the dated industry practices that fail to adapt to the reality that is online distribution of media goods and not at someone who points out or experiences the consequences of its flaws.

Way to make a good first impression with that post.

Don't care about first impressions. You people seem quite angry (and willing to engage in personal attacks) anyway. As to your first point, I think the industry has "adapted" just fine. People still want physical copies despite the availability of online distribution. Fact. Stores don't want to be screwed because other stories happen to get the game early. Fact. Publishers agree to let stores publish all on one day.

All this angst (waa waa, I want to play my game two days earlier!!) ignores market realities. Advocating violating end user license agreements is irresponsible and subjects you to all sorts of consequences, as most irresponsible things do.

And as stupid as having different release dates is, I agree with the underlying concept of "Give brick and mortar a chance, don't screw them entirely".

Kudos for a well thought out, balanced post.

The store you purchased the game at messed up by selling it to you. Just because you got an early copy does not mean the release date should change.

I would not equate using VPN for submitting assignments with bypassing steam restrictions. A ban is still possible for the latter if they're monitoring the game you're playing.

deano2099
11-10-2012, 11:24 PM
All this angst (waa waa, I want to play my game two days earlier!!) ignores market realities.

On the other hand, there's a massive market reality called The Pirate Bay that you're ignoring.

Jac
12-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Definitely regretting not doing the vpn thing.. just tried to have a quick blast on xcom for a bit before bed and steam spent about 30mins unlocking the game or whatever and then threw out an error. It is now downloading 1.5 gigs of something even though the game was fully pre-loaded.

It's just a smiling drm system. Hate it.

mnemnoch
12-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Definitely regretting not doing the vpn thing.. just tried to have a quick blast on xcom for a bit before bed and steam spent about 30mins unlocking the game or whatever and then threw out an error. It is now downloading 1.5 gigs of something even though the game was fully pre-loaded.

It's just a smiling drm system. Hate it.

Same situation here. Stayed up until 3am waiting it to be release then when I click play it tells me I need a 1+ gb update. FU

Barnox
12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
There are physical copies because some people like having boxes and the extras that come with them. If this weren't the case, there'd be no physical copies.

I wasn't arguing against the removal of physical products, just against the restrictions that having a physical-based dated release system brings.
The system is to give physical distributors a chance, when they could just step up their game. I'm not sure how releasing on different dates benefits anyone. If a store wants to start stocking the shelf on Tuesday, all the best to them. But don't stop all the other stores selling it on the Saturday it was ready.

If someone wants their extras, they are free to them.

Faldrath
12-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Same situation here. Stayed up until 3am waiting it to be release then when I click play it tells me I need a 1+ gb update. FU

The update has nothing to do with the unlocking, though - it's just the first patch for the game.

Anyway, to add to the pile of anedoctal evidence: I used Spotflux, spent two days offline on Steam playing xcom, went back online today, no issues whatsoever.

Squiz
12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Don't care about first impressions. You people seem quite angry (and willing to engage in personal attacks) anyway.Well, we are not all one individual, "we" are not all angry. I haven't engaged in personal attacks but pointed out that this particular part of your first post was unnecessarily aggressive.

As to your first point, I think the industry has "adapted" just fine. People still want physical copies despite the availability of online distribution. Fact. Stores don't want to be screwed because other stories happen to get the game early. Fact. Publishers agree to let stores publish all on one day.

All this angst (waa waa, I want to play my game two days earlier!!) ignores market realities. Advocating violating end user license agreements is irresponsible and subjects you to all sorts of consequences, as most irresponsible things do.I disagree with your statement that the market of physical good is up-to-date, at least at a global scale. The difference of release dates is not only between digital and physical distribution but also between physical distribution in country A and physical distribution in country B. Back in the days when there was no digitial distribution the difference in release dates in differenct countries (or continents) was less obvious because you couldn't get your hands on, say an US copy anyways before it game or movie or album was available at your local retail store.

But since we now have online distribution that doesn't (well, obviously it sometimes does) or wouldn't have to consider borders, it becomes apparent that there is a mismatch between the release of a finished product and an artificial waiting period until this product is available.

I really don't care about having to wait 2 or 3 days for a game. What bothers me is the overall idea that despite the fact that the game is available you are not allowed to access it (see someone's post above - you sometimes even have to download the game, despite having the "physical" copy sitting on your desk).

Also, market realities are that most people would by the game in a digital format if that would allow them to play the game earlier. I think that was an implications of your post. I just don't see why retail stores don't want to be competitive and either adjust the distribution / shipping dates or offer a product that actually still has a physical form that matters in some way.

QuantaCat
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Say it with me children: Two wrongs don't make a right

Yeah but some people just dont get banned, no matter how much shit they say.

coldvvvave
12-10-2012, 08:14 AM
I tried VPN + Spotrlux combo to unlock the game early but it didn't work so I gave up, I didn't have much time back then anyway. Yesterday XCOM unlocked fine and I played for three hours straight but as soon as I quit update started and after update finished game failed to launch asking me to wait politely for the release date. This morning it lauched ok. I uninstalled spotflux and disabled VPN before launching the game on rlease. Still sometimes STEAM thinks I'm in US and offers prices in USD. Weird.

duff
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
All this angst (waa waa, I want to play my game two days earlier!!) ignores market realities.

The reality is that I'm a paying customer, one that pre-ordered, and I have the game sitting on my harddrive but I am locked out of it. There is something seriously wrong when a person who pirates the game gets a better service than a paying customer. Regional release dates are not helping the retail sector that you so love. Think how many people from Europe and other territories who decided to pirate the game and play it now instead of paying 30 and playing it in 3 days time.

georgetownhoya
12-10-2012, 05:08 PM
The reality is that I'm a paying customer, one that pre-ordered, and I have the game sitting on my harddrive but I am locked out of it. There is something seriously wrong when a person who pirates the game gets a better service than a paying customer. Regional release dates are not helping the retail sector that you so love. Think how many people from Europe and other territories who decided to pirate the game and play it now instead of paying 30 and playing it in 3 days time.

Thieves generally get better service than paying customers. They get things for free, which is the best service you can get. Thieves are also great at thinking up justifications (ie the three-day wait) and rationalizations for their criminal behavior. Don't see how that's relevant.

I really don't care about having to wait 2 or 3 days for a game. What bothers me is the overall idea that despite the fact that the game is available you are not allowed to access it (see someone's post above - you sometimes even have to download the game, despite having the "physical" copy sitting on your desk).

Also, market realities are that most people would by the game in a digital format if that would allow them to play the game earlier. I think that was an implications of your post. I just don't see why retail stores don't want to be competitive and either adjust the distribution / shipping dates or offer a product that actually still has a physical form that matters in some way.

Do you realize you have to "wait" for content in almost every industry, even though it's ready for release? Movie studios could digitally release some movies years before they ever see a theater. Or how about exams at university -- many are given to all students, before being unlocked at a set time due to fairness concerns.

Trust me, retailers would love to have the game before Steam gets its hands on it. Because Steam doesn't have to deal with shipping times or packaging or handling, that's often not possible.

I'm not sure how releasing on different dates benefits anyone. If a store wants to start stocking the shelf on Tuesday, all the best to them. But don't stop all the other stores selling it on the Saturday it was ready.

I suspect the distributors said they can have the game ready in US stores by a certain date, and UK stores by a slightly later date. Remember, these games travel on boats for god's sakes. Rather than make everyone wait, 2K released ASAP in all countries.

If a store gets the game a day early, that disadvantages other stores and makes them justifiably upset.

On the other hand, there's a massive market reality called The Pirate Bay that you're ignoring.

People will always steal. Their reasons change, because people want to feel good about being criminals, but they will always steal. When countries try to stop them, they claim their "Internet freedoms" are being challenged. The only way to deal with thieves is to arrest and/or sue them.

duff
12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Thieves generally get better service than paying customers. They get things for free, which is the best service you can get. Thieves are also great at thinking up justifications (ie the three-day wait) and rationalizations for their criminal behavior. Don't see how that's relevant.

It's relevant because you need to make buying the game as attractive as possible. Regional release dates are a massive own goal for the retail industry aswell as a huge inconvenience for the customer. We are not saying digital outlets should be able to sell the game before retail. We are arguing that everywhere should have the same release date. I don't know why your getting so defensive about something that will help the (European and elsewhere) retail sectors.

gundato
12-10-2012, 07:08 PM
It's relevant because you need to make buying the game as attractive as possible. Regional release dates are a massive own goal for the retail industry aswell as a huge inconvenience for the customer. We are not saying digital outlets should be able to sell the game before retail. We are arguing that everywhere should have the same release date. I don't know why your getting so defensive about something that will help the (European and elsewhere) retail sectors.

How will having to restructure and reschedule everything help them?

Will it help the gamer? Sure

Retail? Not so much. Because now they need to reschedule when they receive every single shipment of new shinies (which may impact costs) and tell all their customers the new details. All for what? So that people using DD services don't have to deal with regional restrictions? The people NOT using said services are really unaffected anyway since they are basically used to picking up the game on those dates.

All to avoid one or two days of knowing other people are playing a game...

deano2099
12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
The people NOT using said services are really unaffected anyway since they are basically used to picking up the game on those dates.

Nope, lots of those people are on the internet getting annoyed also. Digital distribution is going to keep growing, and once it reaches a certain point, keeping Steam and the people buying online happy will be more important than the shops. And so they'll have no regional release dates online. At which point the shops will have a fit: "but now everyone is buying online instead of from us three days later". To which no-one will have any sympathy as they've had the best part of a decade to sort it out and didn't bother because they didn't think it'd 'help them'.

duff
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
deano - exactly, it's already started to happen. For years and years Game (in the UK) treated publishers and devs like crap (forcing games off Steam, release dates, forcing second hand sales) and then suddenly they ran out of cash and EA refused them credit to get their revenge. As soon as internet connections can handle digital downloads easily the retail sector will collapse.

deano2099
12-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I've been wondering for a while, actually, while Gamestop in the US makes ridiculous amounts of money, while GAME in the UK struggles to make rent. Despite providing the same service.

Perhaps this has something to do with it. Walking to the shop on release date is the one way to guarantee getting the game the day it comes out. The postal service is never that reliable, so saving a few quid on Amazon might not be worth it.

But of course, if you go to the shop on Tuesday in the US, you get to be one of the first people to play the game, first to discuss it on the internet, it feels special. By Friday, when you go buy it in the UK, that's gone. The internet has been playing it for days already. You're not getting it 'first'. As such, the UK are more likely to use Amazon, as getting it on Saturday instead of Friday is far less of a deal than being in the US and getting it on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.