In no particular order:

Stalker
Quake 1
Undying
Crysis
Far Cry 2
BLOPS
Doom 3
HL2 (aged poorly but back then it was amazing)
Call of Duty 4
RAGE

Herzog
09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
1. Quake
2. Quake 3 Arena
3. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
4. Doom 2
5. Doom
6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7. No one lives forever
8. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
9. Quake 2
10. Painkiller

Memph
09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Quake 3 Arena
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Left 4 Dead
Bioshock
Half Life
Half Life 2
SHOGO: Mobile Armour Division
STALKER
Battlefield 1942 / Desert Combat
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

edit: how did i miss bioshock? metro 2033 dropped off the pile

NathanH
09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Taking a rather generous definition of FPS, given that I couldn't list 10 traditional FPS games that I've played:

1) Thief 2
2) Morrowind
3) Thief
4) Oblivion
5) Might and Magic 6
6) Thief 3
7) Might and Magic 7
8) Might and Magic 8
9) Fallout: New Vegas
10) Skyrim

I'd have had Bloodlines in, but even in my generous definition of FPS it isn't quite first person enough.

mrpier
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Counter-Strike
Bioshock 2
Half-Life 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Deus Ex
Team Fortress 2
Crysis
SWAT 4
System Shock 2
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

(Jedi Knight II, Half Life, HL: Opposing Force, Far Cry, Borderlands, Serious Sam)

SephKing
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
1) Half Life
2) MOH: Allied Assaault
3) Half Life 2
4) No One Lives Forever 2
5) Battlefield 2
6) Rainbow 6: Raven Shield
7) Jedi Knight 2: Jedio Outcast
8) Far Cry
9) Crysis
10) Duke Nukem 3D

Nalano
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
In no particular order

CS
NOLF2
SS2
DooM
UT2k4
RtCW
COD4
HL
TF2
Tribes

Kaira-
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
No particular order

STALKER
Halo 2
Goldeneye 007 (the N64-version)
XIII
TimeSplitters 2
TF2
... yeah, pretty much that's that.

Heliocentric
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Er... *checks his documents* in no specific order.

Hidden: Source(mod hl2)
Natural Selection(& 2) (1 is mod hl)
Project Reality(mod bf2)
Chaos Theory Versus AKA Shadowstrike (hybrid fps/tps)
SWAT4 (and expansion)
STALKER (and sequels)
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Brothers in Arms(specifically "earned in blood" )

glimpse fade yelp
09-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't do multiplayer, so based on single-player only...

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Timeshift
Half Life 1 & 2
Quake 4
Terra Nova
System Shock 2
Fallout 3 (with DLCs)
Quake

Some of these wouldn't stand up to scrutiny now, but back then...

Drake Sigar
09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Taking a rather generous definition of FPS
We wouldn't have it any other way.
Dark Messiah
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Painkiller
Doom
Jedi Knight 2
System Shock 2
Call of Duty 1
Serious Sam
Portal
Mirror's Edge

db1331
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't believe only a couple people said CoD4. Say what you will about CoD now, but that game was amazing when it came out. Games are STILL trying to copy it, and not even coming close. IW used to be one of my favorite devs. They are dead to me now though. I'll never buy one of their games again. Anyhow, these are in no particular order, nor do I think they are the best the genre has to offer. They are just the shooters that I have had the most fun with since I starting playing games:

CoD4
Goldeneye
AvP
BioShock
Metroid Prime
Turok
Perfect Dark
CoD2
L4D
Spear of Destiny

Diesel-
09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I can't believe only a couple people said CoD4.

because its not worth to put it in top 10 list. not even COD1 and UO are on my top 10 so why 4?

Nalano
09-10-2012, 06:57 PM
because its not worth to put it in top 10 list. not even COD1 and UO are on my top 10 so why 4?

I put it on my list as the peak of heavily-scripted linear shooters: The story was pretty good, and expertly rendered.

My only regret is it pushed Q3 off the list, so I couldn't have the trio of golden-age arcade MPFPSs: Tribes, Quake and UT.

Mohorovicic
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
No order: Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, FEAR, Crysis, Metro 2033, Cryostasis, Quake 2, Call of Pripyat, BF2142

ado
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm gonna restrict myself to one game per franchise, otherwise the whole list would pretty much be just games by Valve.

1. Portal
2. Half-Life 2
3. Unreal Tournament
4. Thief
5. Deus Ex
6. NOLF 2
7. TF2
8. Call of Duty 2
9. Crysis
10. L4D2

Sketch
09-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Halo
Deus Ex
STALKER
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D (shame on those who don't have this)
Crysis 2
Left 4 Dead (either)
Half Life 1
Half Life 2
Bulletstorm

SirKicksalot
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Timeshift
Quake 4

Glad to see someone else loves these.

Nalano
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm looking at these lists and keep thinking, "damnit, why are we restricted to 10?"

Kelron
09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm looking at these lists and keep thinking, "damnit, why are we restricted to 10?"

I'm not even sure I can think of 10 without dredging up games I played once and found moderately enjoyable.

Bleekill
09-10-2012, 07:19 PM
1. Counter-Strike (All variations)
2. Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 (Darkest Hour mod!)
3. Day of Defeat : Source
4. Arma II
5. Time Splitters 2 + Future Perfect
6. Soldier of Fortune II : Retro Helix
7. Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
8. Halflife 2
9. GoldenEye
10. Bioshock

Really wanted to put Battlefield 2, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor somewhere on there but I am more attached to the games on the list since big business has kind of soiled those series.

Smashbox
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
In no particular order.

Marathon
Half Life
Half Life 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Team Fortress 2
Goldeneye
Deus Ex
Fallout 3
Portal
Dark Forces

Very hard to narrow down.

Battle Programmer Spike
09-10-2012, 07:29 PM
No order

Quake II
Doom II
Jedi Knight
Shogo
ArmA II
NOLF
GoldenEye
System Shock 2
Thief
Half-Life: Opposing Force

If I had to narrow down the first place... it'd be Opposing Force, definitely.

ado
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM
6. Soldier of Fortune II : Retro Helix

Damn I totally forgot Retro Helix. It was a bit of a messy game but also a total blast. The 1st SoF was great as well, just difficult as fuck. I loved how you could dismember all the enemies hehe...

Bleekill
09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Opposing Force was really great. I can't wait to play through it when the Black Mesa guys finish redoing it.

@Ado Yes! SOF2 was such a great game. Definitely met my taste for the ultraviolent gunplay. The MP at the time was really awesome.

I'm annoyed they tried to resurrect the series with that shitty console game a few years ago.

Velko
09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Hmm hmm. I don't think I can make a list of ten...

In no particular order:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (loved it to bits back then, I'm glad there wasn't Steam to tally up the hours I spent on it)
ArmA II (Ah, the mods. All the content!)
Red Orchestra (the first one) (esp. with Darkest Hour mod)
Far Cry 2
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty (the first one)

Honorable mention to Just Cause 2: it's not first person, but it's the best shooter in ages!

sk2k
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
No order.

Blood
Timeshift
Shadow Warrior
Cybermage
Half-Life
Jedi Knight
Doom
NOLF
System Shock 2
Thief

Stense
09-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Interpreting the brief as: Games in which you play from a first person perspective and can shoot things.

In no ordered order.

Half-Life
Thief 2
System Shock 2
Half-Life 2
Rise of the Triad
Metroid Prime
Deus Ex
Left 4 Dead 2
Doom
Bioshock

Drake Sigar
09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Jedi Knight
The first one? It's ok. The Jedi Knight series has mostly been an excellent lightsaber combat simulator to me.

Dr.Honeyslut
09-10-2012, 09:09 PM
In no particular order:

Doom 2
Operation Flashpoint
Stalker
Call of Duty 1
Half-Life 1
Far Cry 1
Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad
Quake 2
Unreal 2k4
Left 4 Dead 2

ShowMeTheMonkey
09-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Right. This is tough.

1) S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripyat (Yes. I do love it more that Shadow of Chernobyl, better story and missions).
2) Metro 2033
3) Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (I did have ArmA 2 here, but I LOVED the SP in OpFlash)
4) Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45 (Red Orchestra: OStfront '41-'43 mod)
5) No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
6) System Shock 2
7) Battlefield 2: Project Reality
8) Call of Duty 2
9) S.W.A.T. 4
10) Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

TillEulenspiegel
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd have had Bloodlines in, but even in my generous definition of FPS it isn't quite first person enough.
It qualifies as long as you have a gun equipped. Though as an FPS, it's terrible.

I'm still waiting for someone to make an FPS along the lines of the original idea for Halo: a sandbox game of guerrilla warfare. Resource management, strategic planning, the works. That'd be a game worth listing as a favorite. There are a few games that sort of skirt around the edges of that idea (Red Faction: Guerrilla, Just Cause, Saboteur) but they're all third-person and they only scratch the surface.

ShowMeTheMonkey
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to make an FPS along the lines of the original idea for Halo: a sandbox game of guerrilla warfare. Resource management, strategic planning, the works.

It wasn't that good but the only two things like that that scratch that itch is "Freedom Fighters" by IO Interactive and "Operation Flashpoint: Resistance". Resistance obviously being the better of the two.

Internet
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
In no particular order-

1. Deus Ex
2. Bioshock
3. Unreal Tournament 2004
4. Metro 2033
5. Aliens vs. Predator 2
6. Starwars Battlefront 2 (such a fun game)
7. Duke Nukem 3d
8. Redfaction(I&III)
9. Borderlands
10. Stalker

Games not included cause of their hybrid nature:
Jedi Knight 2
Portal
Descent
New Vegas
Thief I and II
VtMB
Zenoclash
Mass Effect

Skull
09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Lets see...

Team Fortress 2 (of course)
Half Life 1
Half Life 2 (the sequel is different enough to be counted)
Deus Ex
Quake 2
Unreal
Battlefield 2
Doom 2
Bioshock
Portal 2 (if it counts)

Now, don't ask me to order them in preference.

Also, can't believe when someone mentions shooters, all I can think of is Valves games, I think that really shows the quality of them.

Looking at other peoples lists, it seems I am missing out with STALKER. I only have Call of Pripyat, every few months I say that I will try and get into it, I play it for an hour, find it rather aimless and stop. Maybe it gets better as it gets going? It just seems like one of those games everyone loves and I cant understand at all.

Other shooters I would like to give a shot at:
CoD MW3 (I know that it's repetitive now but I stopped playing after MW2 as I only liked the Infinity Ward CoDs. MW3 looks like a big improvement over BLOPS from seeing it on a console but I could never pay £40 for it, maybe a fiver)
Battlefield 3
Bulletstorm

coldvvvave
09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
1. Half Life
????

I just can't think of anything else.

Casimir Effect
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Hard to think of 10 to be honest but:

FarCry 2
Tribes: Vengeance
Unreal Tournament 2004 (entire series really)
Crysis
Mirror's Edge
Borderlands
Call of Duty 2
Vietcong
Team Fortress 2
Halo ODST (entire series really)

A few things I feel strangely guilty for leaving out (such as Painkiller) but I know they're things I'll probably never play again, so obviously shouldn't be in my list.

Edit: Forgot Vietcong, so replaced Human Revolution (which isn't really an FPS) with it

Internet
09-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Lets see...

Looking at other peoples lists, it seems I am missing out with STALKER. I only have Call of Pripyat, every few months I say that I will try and get into it, I play it for an hour, find it rather aimless and stop. Maybe it gets better as it gets going? It just seems like one of those games everyone loves and I cant understand at all.

I've only played CoP, and I can definitely say that the beginning is incredibly slow, gives you almost no sense of direction, and has little explanation of the game's expectations. I think they should at least start you at the ship so you get an idea of the NPCs and the layout of the land. As the game goes on it gets much, much better. There's something vaguely serene about wandering through the empty fields and avoiding fights if at all possible. Like so many similar games, wandering becomes more fun than the plot and you only take plot missions at your leisure.

ShowMeTheMonkey
09-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I think that's exactly why I like CoP. The story is that you're in a pretty much uncharted part of the zone, investigating why these helicopters went down. The point is that you're an explorer/detective. I love the missions that give you no marker or indication where to go. The only way is by talking to people of overhearing things in the bar. It's far better than the stupid Skyrim system where "Nobody knows where this magical sword is! It's been lost for thousands of years!". Oh. There it is.

My friends who bought the Stalkers, but then could never get into them are the sorts who need to be led by their noses everywhere.

DaftPunk
09-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Stalker:Soc
Deus Ex 1
Half Life 2
OGhost Recon
Rainbow Six:Raven Shield

Risingson
09-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe my second message in the forum.

1.- Half Life 2
2.- Quake
3.- Doom
4.- Strife
5.- Requiem: Avenging Angel
6.- No One Lives Forever
7.- Unreal, for the most part
8.- Rise of the Triad
9.- Wolfenstein 3D
10.- Duke Nukem 3D

Misnomer
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
In alphabetical order...

Battlefield 3 (yeah I said it)
Bad Company 2
Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Call of Duty United Offensive
Far Cry 2
FEAR
Halo (PC and Xbox)
Republic Commando
Team Fortress 2 (pre-F2P)

Between Genre Games and Honorable Mentions

Borderlands
Bioshock 2
BF2142
BF Vietnam
COD:W@W
Crysis
Goldeneye
Insurgency Mod for Source (earliest Alpha was best)
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Killing Floor
Mirrors Edge
UT 2004 (Only one I played in the series, so I don't know if the others are better).
MOH 2010 Single Player
Portal 1&2
STALKER (I just can't bring myself put this in my top 10 because it pissed me off so much, but COP was less annoying).
Zeno Clash

And before you think I just listed every FPS I have ever played, I left some off purposefully. COD4 was surpassed by other games. Call of Juarez was a good idea that just never quite got there. Prey was just...meh. FEAR 2 was meh. Brink had issues. HL2 just never did it for me, I had to mod it to enjoy it. L4D disappointed me. So yeah... I could go on about games that didn't do it for me, but that is not what this thread is about.

ado
10-10-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm very happy to see Call of Duty 2 popping up on other people's lists as well. I always thought it was the best in the series, with the firs CoD just a smidgen behind. It actually had wonderful pacing and wasn't trying to rape your brain for it's full running time like CoD4 and everything that followed it.

Misnomer
10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm very happy to see Call of Duty 2 popping up on other people's lists as well. I always thought it was the best in the series, with the firs CoD just a smidgen behind. It actually had wonderful pacing and wasn't trying to rape your brain for it's full running time like CoD4 and everything that followed it.

I had it on my list and then removed it. The SP was brilliant in that game, but mechanically the game was massively inferior. No sprint was a big issue for me. Losing bipods from UO and vehicles in MP meant it was a very limited game by comparison to UO. It was superior to the original COD, but not the expansion. I will say that the SP was better than COD4 though, you have that pegged as brilliant.

ado
10-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Yea I never played CoD2 online, was just going by the SP campaign.

postinternetsyndrome
10-10-2012, 12:20 AM
In no particular order, I think.

Deus Ex (Ok I lied, this is probably my all-time favourite.)
Unreal Tournament
FEAR
Battlefield 3
STALKER
Republic Commando
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Operation Flashpoint
Battlefield 2142

Mirror's Edge and Portal I don't really see as FPS, or fringe cases at most. They are first-person games, but not really shooters. Both should be on some sort of top 10 list though. If I had an 11th spot I'd perhaps throw in Perfect Dark. Of course, top 10 is really too few. There are so many great games, and I've probably forgotten half of them.

Sakkura
10-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Sticking fairly strictly to "real" FPSs:

1. Half-Life
2. Doom
3. Quake
4. Counterstrike
5. Half-Life 2
6. Crysis
7. Wolfenstein 3D
8. No One Lives Forever
9. Unreal Tournament
10. Duke Nukem 3D

Putting Deus Ex on top of that would just look odd. And I can't believe so many people are skipping Wolfenstein 3D.

postinternetsyndrome
10-10-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd say DX is both a "real" FPS and a "real" RPG. Maybe not 100% of both, but definitely more than 50/50.

Hypnotic Geese
10-10-2012, 12:44 AM
1. Operation Flashpoint
2. System Shock (1 & 2)
3. Thief (1 & 2)
4. Ultima Underworld (1 & 2 + Arx Fatalis (why not?))
5. Portal 2
6. Pathologic (contrary to what you may believe, this game was actually about the mad imaginings of a homeless person, sifting through bins and sleeping in other townsfolk's beds - all the while inventing an elaborate scenario in his head to give his life purpose.)
7. Mirror's Edge
8. The Void

I don't know any more things.

Cosm
10-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Brink (Gets a lot of flak I know, but I fuckin loved it and wish more people played.)
The Darkness
Deus Ex
Half-Life 2
Halo
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Call of Duty 2
Bioshock

I love the concepts and ideas behind both STALKER and Metro 2033, but I've had the worst luck getting STALKER to work properly, and the stealth in Metro was so awful I just couldn't deal with it.

kyrieee
10-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Deus Ex
Counter-Strike
Half-Life
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:SoC
DayZ
Shogo:MAD
Quake 3
UT99
Aliens vs Predator (the '99 Rebellion game)
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

Finicky
10-10-2012, 02:17 AM
No particular order as they are all amazing in different ways, makes it hard to put over the other.

Half life
UT99
CS
Q3
tribes
bf1942
NOLF2
Return to castle wolvenstein
l4d
painkiller
deus ex

Yeah that's 11 games not 10, sue me:p
I'd put portal 1-2 in there but they aren't shooters, and I feel bad for leaving out a few more.

Voon
10-10-2012, 04:11 AM
in no particular order as always:

STALKER
Half-Life
Unreal Tournament
Quake 3
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Deus Ex and it's prequel
Quake
Bad Company 2
Half-Life 2

Honourable mentions goes to Call of Duty: WaW, Bulletstorm and (in a broader sense of FPS) Portal and Fallout: New Vegas

Pantagruel
10-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Crysis
Far Cry
Singularity
Battlefield 3
Metro 2033
FEAR 1/2/3
STALKER series
Borderlands 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
Dishonored
Planetside 2

Mohorovicic
10-10-2012, 06:39 AM
1. Half Life
????

I just can't think of anything else.

So have you actually played any other FPSes in your life, or...?

Henke
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Deus Ex is my favourite game ever but I wouldn't call it an FPS. I don't wanna just list a bunch of games either so I'm gonna keep this list short.

1. Quake
Not just the vanilla game but also every single mod and level I could find on late-90's PC GAMER UK Demo-CDs, and a few I downloaded over an unreliable dial-up modem as well. Very fond memories of blasting through the episodes while listening to Beastie Boys. Exploring unique and gorgeous user-levels, like those made by Ilkka Keränen. Mods and TC's like Air Quake, Quake Rally, that SWAT mod I forget the name of, that medieval mod I forget the name of, Malice, etc. My dial-up was too slow for multiplayer but I played many a match with the (surprisingly sophisticated) bots. I spent years with this game. I don't think I'll ever go back to it, but it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Bankrotas
10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Wouldn't it then be to easy?

List:
Half-Life 1&2, Enemy Teritorry: Wolfenstein, CoD4, Alien versus Predator 2, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Tribes: Ascend, Doom 1 and 2 and I'm having hard time to say any more FPS'es that I spent more than 10 hours while enjoying myself and CoD5: Waw doesn't count since played only Nazi Zombies with friends while drinking till bottles were clean.

Gozuu
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
1. Counter-Strike
2. Unreal Tournament 2k4
3. Quake III: Arena
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
5. Doom
6. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
7. Battlefield 2
8. Team Fortress 2
9. Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra Mod)
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4

Sakkura
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
1. Counter-Strike
2. Unreal Tournament 2k4
3. Quake III: Arena
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
5. Doom
6. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
7. Battlefield 2
8. Team Fortress 2
9. Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra Mod)
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4
Cool. That can go straight on your top 10 grand strategy games ever too. ;)

Drayk
10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
In no particuliar order. I know there are some classics I still haven't played...

Deus Ex
Dark Messiah
Portal
Bioshock
Half Life 2
Bulletstorm
The Darkness
Arx Fatalis
Duke Nukem
Borderlands

SanguineAngel
10-10-2012, 10:25 AM
1 Half-Life (Not 2)
2 Thief 2
3 System Shock 2
4 Deus Ex
5 Mirror's Edge
6 Jedi Knight
7 Thief
8 Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
9 Call of Duty + UO
10 Dark Forces

Bumped down:
11 Alien Vs Predator
2 Alien Trilogy (Ps1)
13 Battlefield 2

Edit: Crikey! I forgot about the Dark Forces games!!! And Riddick!

Outright Villainy
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
1. Team fortress 2. I'm a bit sick of it at this stage, but after 1500 hours of play I think that's to be expected. Far and away my most played game ever.

2. Half life 2 & Episodes. Episode 2 is the best of the lot, but it all feels like 1 game anyway so i'll just bundle it together. At any rate, it pairs very satisfying gunplay with exceptional level design. I'm still finding new secrets or ways to fight after my 6th or so playthrough.

3. Timesplitters 2. Hard to beat it for splitscreen shooty times really. I played goldeneye and perfect dark more, but this is much easier to go back to. It works pretty well considering how bad control stick aiming is, it got around it pretty well. The rigid centred crosshair makes no sense for non-mouse aim for me, not sure why every first person game on console does it.

4. Counter Strike. I've played about 40 hours of Source and about 50 hours of GO (up until the latest update the matchmaking was great, I really liked how easy it was to get a game with proper rules in GO. Now, not so much.)

5. Bad Company 2. Haven't played enough of BF3 to get a good read on it yet, but I loved BC2, especially with friends in your squad.

6. COD 4. Probably the first super-scripted linear as hell modern manshoot I played, so it was still fresh then. I quite enjoyed 4's campaign, though on higher difficulties it did get a bit cheap. Still, I had some great fun with my brother doing pistol only duels in multi.

7. Metro 2033. Gunplay was never hugely satisfying, but it's extremely atmospheric, and the moral ambiguity of it all was very refreshing. Floaty aiming, performance issues and broken stealth were the biggest issues for me, If the new one irons out those problems it could be something really special.

8. Perfect Dark. Plays like ass today, but honourable mention for Nostalgia + innovation's sake. Dynamic campaigns based on difficulty, 4 player co-op challenges, great weapon design, an interesting story (for its time), great soundtrack, huge customisation in multiplayer from weapon placement on maps to personality types of the A.i. A lot of modern games could benefit from giving even a fraction of the options this did for replayability's sake.

9. Doom. 'nuff said.

10. Duke Nukem 3D. Another big nostalgia trip for me, but Duke was the first FPS that made me want to explore a level, and not just for powerups. You could find some cool eastereggs in there, and it made every level feel really dense. Plus it had great weapons and a jetpack. Man i love jetpacks.

I wouldn't really count stuff like Portal, Dishonored, Mirror's edge, or even the newer fallouts to be FPS games, since the S part is very much absent or not the focus. If we're talking all first person games then the list would be completely impossible to narrow down, since nearly all my favourite games are in First person.

ShowMeTheMonkey
10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Just a question but why do people always say that the stealth in Metro 2033 was "broken". I never had a problem with it and I ghosted the majority of the game twice...

Internet
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Just a question but why do people always say that the stealth in Metro 2033 was "broken". I never had a problem with it and I ghosted the majority of the game twice...

Well, it didn't work on a lot of the monsters or they had huge aggro radii, and more than once you would have go right next to huge crowds of people in very well lit areas, working more off patrols than secrecy. I think stealth in that game is pretty understated, and normally it works better than most stealth games because you have to react to your surroundings more, but there are a few times when enemies are so bunched up that stealth becomes incredibly tedious (the end of both Nazi bases). Also, it's practically useless once you're out of the last Nazi base.

Mohorovicic
10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Just a question but why do people always say that the stealth in Metro 2033 was "broken".

Because they keep on stepping on broken glass without noticing and then are all like "why all enemies know where I am omg broken"

ShowMeTheMonkey
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Well I'm not sure about the monster stealth bits. I thought there were only parts against humans where I would consider using stealth. I must say the whole staring down a Librarian was sooo bad ass...

Lambchops
10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
In mostly no particular order

Deus Ex
Half Life
Half Life 2
Portal
System Shock 2
Clive Barker's Undying
Unreal Tournament ('99 and 2k4, counting as one game!)
SWAT IV
Thief 2
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

If I'd actually played more than the demos of the No One Lives Forever Games then one of them would be on there. If I was including console games then a Goldeneye and possibly a Metroid game might sneak on to the list. Oh and honourable mention to Alien vs Preadator 2's Marine campaign, if it wasn't for the disappointing Alien section and somewhat overpowered (and thus lacking atmosphere) Predator campaign.

Sparkasaurusmex
10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I won't list 10 because I think many of them are somewhat universal in this thread, but these are the FPS games I spent the most time playing that seem somewhat obscure now:

C&C Renegade- for me it was the first BF1942 style game I played. Meaning that you could use vehicles and classes, capture the base style matches.

Soldier of Fortune 2- I didn't like the single player campaign, which was the selling point (over the top violence) but I was addicted to the "steal the briefcase" multiplayer matches. This might be a case of being good at a bad game making the game seem more fun than it actually is... But I was hooked and played it for 100s of hours online.

Desert Combat- A mod for BF1942 that added modern units (when WWII was the cliche and modern units somehow different) and new maps, etc... great fun flying choppers, not so much jets... Awesome giant-spawn-point plane, also.

Tikey
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
In no particular order

Deus Ex
NOLF
NOLF2
Portal
System Shock 2
Unreal Tournament
Jedi Knight / Jedi Outcast
Stalker SOC
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Team Fortress 2

Outright Villainy
10-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Way too often the game will start bunching up enemies in spots where it's near impossible to sneak past, either because it's a chokepoint, or enemies won't leave their position. The knifes (both throwing and regular) sometimes one hit kill, sometimes don't. You can get past a fair few of the sections with stealth, but far too often it requires serious trial and error.

t0mme
10-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't play them too often I don't really like the genre (I especially don't like being spooked or scared), but these are the ones I like:

1. Duke Nukem 3D
2. Doom
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Battlefield 2 - Allied Intent Xtended
5. Call of Duty 1
6. Far Cry 2
7. Wolfenstein
8. Goldeneye (N64)
9. Unreal Tournament 2004

That's it really.

fuzzy logic
10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Though they are numbered, don't be fooled; they are in no particular order.

1. Counter-Strike - It showed me what multiplayer could be. The ecstasy of playing CS made every other game seem dull as dishwater for at least a year.
2. Team Fortress 2 - One of the few shooters I've actually been pretty good at, yay!
3. Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat - Same as CS. Played it at a LAN party this year, still fun.
4. Quake 3 Arena
5. Goldeneye - I wouldn't play it now, haha.
6. Perfect Dark - See above.
7. Time Splitters 2
8. Left 4 Dead - The sequel just doesn't feel as good. Not to mention the characters are much less, uh, salient?
9. Call of Duty 2 - The multiplayer.
10. Call of Duty - The singleplayer.

Who knows if that list is accurate? I don't. I play way less shooters than I used to.

Robert
10-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Taking the generous definition of it, else I can't think of 10 that I thoroughly enjoyed ('ve played heaps more than 10 though)

1. RTCW: Enemy Territory
2. Goldeneye 64
3. Quake Wars
4. Perfect Dark
5. Half Life 2
6. Bioshock
7. Operation Flashpoint
8, Serious Sam (I guess 2nd)
9. Metroid Prime
10. Mass Effect 3 MP (not gonna count SP, not fair)

Memph
11-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Way too often the game will start bunching up enemies in spots where it's near impossible to sneak past, either because it's a chokepoint, or enemies won't leave their position. The knifes (both throwing and regular) sometimes one hit kill, sometimes don't. You can get past a fair few of the sections with stealth, but far too often it requires serious trial and error.

You need a Volt Driver ;) Aim for the neck and it's an absolute beast for stealthing in Ranger mode. Just be sure to swap it out before the amoeba things near the end - I ended up completely screwed with no way to kill the buggers quick enough.

Internet
11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
You need a Volt Driver ;) Aim for the neck and it's an absolute beast for stealthing in Ranger mode. Just be sure to swap it out before the amoeba things near the end - I ended up completely screwed with no way to kill the buggers quick enough.

The Volt Driver is DLC, free on Steam but still DLC. It's possible that a lot of people played the game without it, which is a shame since I liked it more than the Helsing.

Memph
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
The Volt Driver is DLC, free on Steam but still DLC. It's possible that a lot of people played the game without it, which is a shame since I liked it more than the Helsing.

Picking it up in a sale a ways back, I caught that Ranger Mode DLC was added, but was oblivious to the weapons being part of it. First playthrough I gave up even trying to stealth after miserable attempts to kill things with throwing knives. Coupled with the failure-trap autosaves that was indeed some infuriating play.

sabrage
11-10-2012, 05:49 AM
The fact that none of Metro's guns are as awesome as its sadly broken throwing knives prevented me from getting very far in it.

xaphoo
11-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't want to list any top 10, because my list would be pretty conventional. I just want to list a top 1.

Without a doubt, Quake 1.

PeteC
11-10-2012, 06:28 AM
No particular order and just one from each series.

Half Life (still haven't finished HL2 due to the awful motion sickness it gives me)

Quake (Shudder to think of the hours spent on this game in MP. Especially the Frag Town map I downloaded)

Doom

CoD 1 (The Russian levels in particular were fantastic)

Halo 1 (I still dabble in the MP to this day)

NOLF

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Deus Ex

Unreal Tournament

Tribes: Ascend (Over 150 hours and counting)

Mohorovicic
11-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Way too often the game will start bunching up enemies in spots where it's near impossible to sneak past, either because it's a chokepoint, or enemies won't leave their position.

Happens only once in the entire game(during the sneaking tutorial - 4 enemies bunched around a campfire and you'll only have 3 throwing knives at most).

The knifes (both throwing and regular) sometimes one hit kill, sometimes don't. You can get past a fair few of the sections with stealth, but far too often it requires serious trial and error.

Throwing knives will bounce off of pieces of enemy armor, weapons, and even carried magazines and ammo pouches. If you want to stealth past the early game use the Hellsing.

ShowMeTheMonkey
11-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I was just about to say all of that...

Voon
11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Does anyone know how to navigate through the Frontline level in Metro without getting shot at? It's always a pain to get to the other side

Mohorovicic
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Without getting shot at or without killing anyone? You can stealhily murder everyone on the level if you so desire...

Steph
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I've managed to ghost that level so i guess it's possible.
Good game, great atmosphere but it feels like a monorail ride.

It would have been much better with more levels like Frontline.
Best parts of the game were the ones with human opponents.
Monster-fighting was so lame.

Diesel-
11-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I've managed to ghost that level so i guess it's possible.
Good game, great atmosphere but it feels like a monorail ride.

It would have been much better with more levels like Frontline.
Best parts of the game were the ones with human opponents.
Monster-fighting was so lame.

they fix all flaws in new Metro. plus they are making more towards human enemies.

csuzw
11-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Probably not perfectly ordered as memory not good enough but I think these are the 10 FPS that I enjoyed the most:
Quake 2
Unreal Tournament
Jedi Knight 2
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Borderlands
Jedi Knight
Far Cry
Half Life
Soldier of Fortune

Not included Deus Ex, Fallout 3 or the like as they don't really feel like FPSs to me.

Internet
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know how to navigate through the Frontline level in Metro without getting shot at? It's always a pain to get to the other side

This is without the flash points. For a nonlethal run, at the start go down the stairs to the left. Go west until you see the execution, from there go north. You'll reach the end of the platforms, but there are pipes and girders you can drop down on. Do that, and then move across them until you reach some stairs on the west-most side. Go down the stairs to the very bottom. Move along, watching for tripwires until you reach a pipe at the end of the north wall. Go through the pipe, up the ladders, and be careful when you come out. There's a group of four soldiers talking, and one that patrols the well it area to the east. Time your way to get past the guard there. Turning the lights off will make this section easier, but place nearby guards on alert. Go up the stairs (I think you can shoot out or turn off the light and that might help). Use trial and error to time your way through the patrols and past the metrocart, moving north/uphill; again lights can be turned off/shot out if you need to. Getting out of the door is really the hardest part. As you reach the next section, look to your right/ the east. Watch patrols, and then drop down and climb up the ladder on the east side. Carefully work your way across the rafters, and then drop down at raised section in the northwest. Metro wiki has a good walkthrough.

I think people complain about sneaking in the game, because there's no non-lethal takedowns, some areas are exacting to the point where it's practically luck to find just the right timing, and sometimes its just better (especially near the end of levels) to run past people if you're doing a non-violent run. Also, a stealth gear build puts you at a disadvantage once you stop fighting humans.

Grizzly
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Metro 2033.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Arma.
SWAT 4.
Half Life 2.

That's pretty much it really.

simoroth
11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Metro 2033.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Arma.
SWAT 4.
Half Life 2.

I love every game on that apart from SWAT 4. Is it any good? Worth checking out?

Grizzly
11-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I love every game on that apart from SWAT 4. Is it any good? Worth checking out?

Yes. Why? Because it's a shooter where you are not supposed to kill anyone.

You play as a SWAT team leader, and you will have quite a few levels. All of them are buildings as you and I know them, so they are rather non-linear. When you start the levels, both the suspects (people with guns) and the civilians (people without guns) are randomnised, and your goal is to apprehend all the civilians and neutralize all the suspects. Depending on how well you do, you get a score. Completing mission objectives, as well as arresting suspects instead of killing them, retrieving weapons from enemies (evidence) and reporting everything that happens in the level to Command (as a proper swat dude) nets you points. Unauthorized use of force and lethal force costs you points, as well as letting suspects get away, and off course the friendly fire incidents. If a civilian dies, you fail the mission.

Because you are a policeman, you will have to shout to everyone that they have to surrender. This negates stealth: The only purpose of suprise (by using, for example, tear gas or flashbangs or stinger grenaddes) is persuading suspects to drop their weapons and surrender. Be very very silent. Then be very very loud. Suspects may do a variaty of things in such a situation, depending on their morale and your methods: They might actually surrender.They might run. They might just do nothing and be entirely stunned. They may take a civilian hostage, and shoot them. They might shoot at you. Only in the latter two cases you are actually allowed to shoot at them (and then only if they do not surrender afterwards. I have accidently killed people who surrendered after I had shot one of their buddies whilst they all fired at me). Because of the randomisation element earlier, you will have no idea what will happen when you enter a room. The weapon accurecy model is extremely punishing, and the reactions of the suspects is unpredictable (although you can tip the balance in your favor with, for example, that tear gas grenade). As a result, you will need to keep a very level head, whilst still having lightning fast reflexes.

This makes it an awesome game.

Diesel-
11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Metro 2033.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Arma.
SWAT 4.
Half Life 2.

list is excellent but why no top 10?

simoroth
11-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Sounds great! I remember people(PCZone?) loving the multi player.

I really loved SWAT II for exactly the same reasons, so I better pick this up and give it a go.

Grizzly
11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
list is excellent but why no top 10?

I forgot Mechwarrior 2! But is that an FPS? Hmmm...

I did not put a top 10 there because I simply have not played enough FPS games that warrant a special accolade. Although I do play a lot of Counter Strike and Battlefield and have had great fun out of them, for example, they are not really all that special to me.

Sounds great! I remember people(PCZone?) loving the multi player.
Haven't played the multiplayer yet :(. There are still servers up though.

Steph
11-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Swat 4 was great, the serial killer mission is still one of the greatest levels I've ever played.

Shooop
11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
In the order I was able to remember them.

Doom
Doom 2
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
FEAR
Borderlands 2
Quake
Soldier of Fortune 2
Rise of the Triad
Turok 2

Somebody should hatch a scheme to get Raven Software fired from Activision so they can make another SoF game. It's been too long.

Heliocentric
11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I love every game on that apart from SWAT 4. Is it any good? Worth checking out?Heh, they its the ultimate FPS where shooting is failing*. And you have to tazer innocent people (or pistol whip in the expansion) who resist restraints.

Sadly its not actually available digitally anymore apart from for stupid money off cnet weirdly.

*can't go wrong with AP rounds to the knees though.

qwurp
11-10-2012, 06:11 PM
007 GoldenEye (N64) has to be the top of the list. Halo 2. Team Fortress 2. Bioshock. Half-Life 2. If you go back to the oldies, Doom & Rise of the Triad (had a lot of advanced features for the time).

Lambchops
11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
SWAT IV is one of the few games I actually played co-op (over LAN in our own flat) and was wonderfully tense (another shout out from me to that serial killer level). The fact that after a while it degenerated from trying to complete levels efficiently to tazering, pepper spraying or shooting each other with the brilliantly named "less lethal" shotgun only served to make it even more fun. The competitive multiplayer was decent too, but co op was where its strength lay.

ran93r
11-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Couldn't possibly put them in order but:

NOLF2
Borderlands 2 (still in awe at it's awesomeness)
SiN (Nobody will agree with me I suspect, the single player wasn't fantastic but the multiplayer was!)
Red Faction 1 (again just for the multiplayer)
One of the Unreal Tournaments (I suspect 2003 was where it peaked for me)

Shooop
11-10-2012, 06:48 PM
SiN (Nobody will agree with me I suspect, the single player wasn't fantastic but the multiplayer was!)

Didn't the programers forget to even plug in the AI code for one of the bosses?

Decimator
11-10-2012, 07:01 PM
In no particular order:

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
Half Life
Goldeneye
No One Lives Forever 2
Unreal Tournament
Quake
Team Fortress Classic
Counter Strike
Call of Duty
Medal of Honour: AA

GunnerMcCaffrey
11-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I couldn't get to 10, even with two N64 carts thrown in:

STALKER
DX:HR
The Continuing Adventures of Gordon Half-A-Life
Goldeneye
FEAR
Quake
Minerva (HL2 mod)
Perfect Dark
Zeno Clash

What little I played of Escape from Butchers Bay seemed rather good. I really want to like E.Y.E., and maybe some day I will. I sort of recall the first two, maybe three, levels of Turok 2 being glorious, before it collapsed into a pile of shit. I assume Doom doesn't actually need to be mentioned. And the original Unreal had some moments of true brilliance.

Most disappointing, though? Crysis 2. And I will never quite understand the love for the first DX.

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
11-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Vampire : The Masquerade : Bloodlines
Quake
Unreal 1
Unreal Tournament 1
Doom
Stalker
BattleField
Brothers in Arms
Far Cry 1
Crysis 1

BillButNotBen
14-10-2012, 09:01 AM
1 - Jedi Knight
2 - terminator: Future Shock / Skynet
3 - Goldeneye
4 - Doom 2
5 - Quake
6 - Half Life 1/2/eps
7 - Deus Ex
8 - System Shock 2
9 - Farcry
10 - NOLF2

11 - Bioshock

And Bloodlines would be in there as a list of games, but not really as an FPS.

Vandelay
14-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Chucking my 10 out there, without any real rank:

Jedi Knight - The level design was fantastic and actually getting to wield a lightsaber was good times. Easily surpassed the couple of efforts by Raven, although they were enjoyable too.

Dark Forces - Sticking with the Star Wars theme, this was probably the first actual FPS game I played, so it holds a special place for me. Running around an Imperial base shooting stormtroopers with the Star Wars music blurring out never gets old and they got the atmosphere just right here.

Quake - The original and best for me. Quake 2 just felt dreary and 3 didn't interest too much, as I wasn't that into mp games in my youth. The first though just combined fantastic fast paced movement with some diverse environments. This was the age of secrets galore and a rocket jump could lead you anywhere. Playing this game now, it really shows what the modern FPS is lacking. Which leads us to:

Serious Sam 3 - Okay, may not be greatest FPS or even the best in the series, but the fact that it has come out today or in the current climate of games makes it a complete joy for me. I don't think I have played an FPS so enjoyable in such a long time. A game that, once it gets going, goes from 10 to 11 to 20 to snapping the dial off completely and shoving it in the face of an alien. It shows that the dumb shooter genre actually requires more smarts then the heavily cover based, linear scripted shooters that plagues the mainstream genre at the moment.

Half Life 2 - And here is the game we can probably blame for that. Despite this and not looking at what has followed it, HL2 was a rollercoaster of ride that engaged me all the way through. The physics combined with the gravity gun created some fantastic action moments, whilst each level seemed to mix things up in a new way. Episodes expanded upon this, but they did start to show their age and never quite lived up to HL2.

Half Life - Again, this was a game that became imitated incorrectly by so many people. The set piece moments here are so much better then anything that followed that everyone still recalls them today. The opening train journey, Blast Pit, the helicopter fight on the side of a cliff, launching a rocket... the list just goes on. The jumping sections are a pain in the arse, but everything else is so wonderful that I can let them off. The AI is also still putting many other games to shame, which is just a tragedy.

Call of Duty - Okay, the series has gone on to be known as the cancer on modern gaming, but that forgets just how revolutionary the original once was. Modern Warfare might have shown the wider public this, but everything was already there since the original. Before this, everyone was wowed by the cinematics of Medal of Honour: Allied Assault; go back and play that now to see how much this was improved upon.

Deus Ex - From the games that everyone wants to copy to the one that the industry seems to ignore. Confession time, I didn't actually like it that much when I originally played it. Playing it now though, it really was something extraordinary. I stand by my original claims that the weapons feel like crap and that the plot is the gaming equivalent of The Da Vinci Code, but the level design has never been bettered. Trying to infiltrate a massive complex, with numerous routes in and out, is something that no other game seems to have been able to quite capture. Instead, anyone that tries to copy it just sticks a vent behind a crate next to the entrance or a ladder around the side. Even the rightfully well acclaimed Human Revolution just consisted of a series of objectives that amounted to traversing a room via one of the two or three routes on offer.

FEAR - Simple because it is one of the very few games that has shown any advancement in AI since the original Half Life.

Far Cry 1/Crysis - At my limit, so bundling these together. Far Cry was a really enjoyable experience that may have had some fairly linear levels, but it still felt as if was set on a massive island. With the addition of the suit powers, Crysis expanded upon the feel of the combat that Far Cry 1 offered. Suddenly, there were many more options for you attack paths, as you could launch yourself on top of roofs or cloak your passed some guards. Dashing around a base, blasting buildings apart was just a joy and I am surprised that this game doesn't get more recognition for its accomplishments.

Mark.W.OBrien
14-10-2012, 11:16 PM
1. Portal (Does that count - you're shooting portals after all)
2. Crysis
3. Far Cry
4. Battlefield (various incarnations)
5. TF2
6. Mirror's Edge (again, possibly doesn't really count)
7. Rainbow 6 (pre-Vegas)
8. Half Life series
9. Unreal Tournament
10. Quake 3

DarkFenix
15-10-2012, 03:13 AM
In no particular order:

Far Cry - much better than both its successors. It was also actually difficult, one of the only games I ever had to tone down to easy.

Battlefield 2 - its predecessors were good, but here the formula was perfected. The sequels are a pale, dumbed down shadow of the pure awesome that BF2 was.

Unreal Tournament - I was never a Q3 Arena fan, but UT hit the sweet spot for me, I was playing this and its mods for years, something few other FPS games can claim.

Aliens Vs Predator 2 - pretty much the first multiplayer FPS I played 'properly'. Singleplayer wasn't as good as the previous game and the netcoding was awful, but it remains the single best game of the franchise anyway, no other game has made that setting quite so fun.

Deus Ex - I'm another person who actually didn't think much of this at the time, I was a bit too young to appreciate it. Looking back at it now however, it stands as a beacon of brilliant design sadly ignored by the industry.

Day Z - a game that seems to 'get it' with regard to the zombie sub-genre. Still buggy as all hell and filled with hackers, spoiling it for the moment, but the game itself is fantastic and a rare bit of risk-taking in today's industry.

Half Life 2 - I'm actually not that big a fan of the HL series (the gunplay is, let's face it, pretty awful), but it's hard to ignore what an achievement HL2 was. Functioning physics, excellent level design and generally great design all round.

Left 4 Dead - the first time coop gaming really reached out and dragged me in. A fucking masterpiece, a shame the sequel wasn't as good.

STALKER - a gritty, bleak, harsh open world FPS, I loved it. A shame it wasn't shown a bit more developer love, could have been the Jesus of FPS's if it were given a AAA budget without all the AAA publisher interference.

Call of Duty - the first couple before they got too big for their boots. Never liked the MoH series much, but CoD got the feel just right and delivered the best WW2 FPS's ever.

Honourable mentions:
Portal 1/2 and TF2 (which I didn't list because I didn't want Valve hogging the whole spotlight)
FEAR (good game, but just not as good as the above in my opinion)
Crysis (it was half a good game, then it got stupid)
Serious S(p)am (amazing fun, but not exactly a profound gift to the genre)
Bioshock (amazing but underused setting, they also forgot to include much game to go with it)

Chevy
15-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Medal of Honour (PSX)
Goldeneye
Doom
Turok 2
Call of Duty 4
Half Life
Halo: ODST
Portal
Duke Nukem 3D
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight

ran93r
15-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Didn't the programers forget to even plug in the AI code for one of the bosses?

The initial release was sketchy, iirc there was a gamebreaker at the first boss but it was patched pretty quickly.

Steph
15-10-2012, 09:11 AM
--------------------------

NOLF 2
Half Life
Half Life 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC
Hexen 2
Deus Ex
Bioshock
Requiem - Avenging Angel
Riddick - Butcher Bay
Dark Messiah

icemann
15-10-2012, 09:23 AM
1. System Shock 2
2. Doom 2
3. Deus Ex
4. Doom 1
5. System Shock 1
6. Hexen
7. Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. Thief 1
10. Aliens vs Predator (1999)

biz
15-10-2012, 09:56 AM
1) Quake Live - this is by far the best-made game I've ever played. It just executes its design so well.
2-10) games that are like Quake 3 but aren't executed as well... I could rank them but who cares
I enjoy what other games do, but I wouldn't say that any of them have done it particularly well (that means I shouldn't see 20 ways to improve a game during the first playthrough...)

As for Quake Live, enabling so many interesting choices with such simple mechanics is a feat probably unmatched in all of gaming (in any medium). Other games are trying to catch up, but they're just so primitive in comparison, mainly because they haven't found a satisfactory way of resolving conflict. RTS games are still held back by an inability to micromanage (humans simply cannot comfortably interface in real-time with more than 1 unit or a unit that doesn't directly correspond to physical actions). TBS games are still held back by a huge reliance on luck or very lengthy games + stalemate.

The reason Quake is well-designed is that its mechanism for resolving conflict (aiming) doesn't hold it back, but actually enhances the experience. It's easy to see how the game would suck if players had perfect aim, so that element of human imperfection is absolutely critical. At the same time, it doesn't dominate the gameplay, but rather serves as a tool to assert map control and to decide battles.

The developers did everything in their power to make that shooting interaction as perfect as possible. Pretty much every single aspect of user interface is completely configurable and optimized for responsiveness. It's baffling why all the other games make it so difficult to distinguish the enemies and point at them when the only mechanic they have involves shooting people... it's like these noobs have never played a game that has brightskins and good controls.

Grizzly
15-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Swat 4 was great, the serial killer mission is still one of the greatest levels I've ever played.

Especially when you do it again after the third time, and the game decides to screw you over and say "Hello! The serial killer has a henchman and they are both in the basement admiring their newly purchased pistols now!"

Barberetti
15-10-2012, 12:54 PM
1. Quake
2. Doom 2
3. Quake 3

The rest, in no particular order ..

Call of Duty
Duke Nukem 3d
Heretic
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Serious Sam
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune 2

Started playing F.E.A.R., Blood, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC a couple of weeks back for the first time, so this list may very well change soon.

BillButNotBen
15-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Jedi Knight - The level design was fantastic and actually getting to wield a lightsaber was good times. Easily surpassed the couple of efforts by Raven, although they were enjoyable too.

The first Jedi Knight seems to be criminally under-rated and/or forgotten. As you said, the level design was fantastic, and it did a great job of balancing a whole load of elements (RPG/Exploration/Platforming/Shooting/Lightsaber/Puzzle solving/Force powers/story).
The Raven efforts were the absolute definition of Average FPS.

SanguineAngel
15-10-2012, 03:13 PM
urgh, that fact that across all pages each list appears to be a variation on the same 30/40 games mentioned throughout the thread is a bit of a damning indictment of the FPS genre - one of the most prolific genres out there, during its 21 years of development.

Gray Guardian
15-10-2012, 03:30 PM
1. Half-Life
The first FPS in which stuff happens, other than just shooting dudes, and the player is in the middle of it. Tons of memorable moments. The soldiers were amazingly cunning oponents.
2. Deus Ex
To be honest neither the shooting or the sneaking were that good on their own. But what carried the game was the amazing level desing, dark story and atmosphere and the crazy levels of interactivity.
3. Thief TDP
Ingenious idea, levels great for exploration and an amazinlgy realized world.
4. Unreal
The game had some amazing AI for the time (the warriors dodging rockets), a strong otherworldly atmosphere and sprawling maps for some great exploration. What, I really like to explore large maps.
5. Blood
Dark humour, amazing level of detail and, you guessed it, enormous levels to explore. Overlooked hotel? The cultist are one of my favourite enemies.
6. Bioshock
Again, interesting spaces to explore, powerful atmosphere and a lot of room to experiment with the different weapon/plasmid combinations. Again, wonderfully memorable adversaries in the splicers and daddies.
7. Call of Duty
I played the demo about 100 times when it came out. The paratrooper assault on St. Mere Eglise had incredible amounts of tension and atmosphere. The first game to really put you in the middle of a battlefield.
8. Half-Life 2
An all-round ideally balanced FPS game. I don't think anything really set a new standard since it came out.
9. Serious Sam
Holding out against the hordes was great fun, plus some wicked humour. So, you had the audacity to pick up this +1 health power-up in the middle of an empty room? Here, fight this 100 skeletons!
10. Thief 2
More of the same, not really better, but still makes the list.

roryok
25-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Half Life 2
Mirrors Edge
Portal
Portal 2
Bioshock
STALKER
Far Cry
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Far Cry 2
Battlefield : Bad Company 2

Far Cry, only the first 5 or so levels. The mutants can go flip themselves.

BFBC2, I'm only halfway through and already it's on my top ten!

I tried a demo of one of those SWAT (or maybe it was Rainbow Six?) games ages ago, and it was dead boring. I spent five minutes planning how to go through a door or something. But having read the mini-reviews it's getting here, I think I'll check it out again!

His Master's Voice
25-04-2013, 11:01 PM
In no particular order.

H-L
FEAR
Crysis
Quake 2
Battlefield 2
Stalker
Metro
SWAT
TF2
CS

Not gonna include things like DX, System Shock or Mirror's Edge as I do not consider those FPS games.

urgh, that fact that across all pages each list appears to be a variation on the same 30/40 games mentioned throughout the thread is a bit of a damning indictment of the FPS genre - one of the most prolific genres out there, during its 21 years of development.

Do a top 10 list of platformers or adventure games and you'll come up with the same result. Don't even ask about RPGs.

Nalano
26-04-2013, 03:19 AM

I'm sure you'd get the same result if you asked everybody to pick their favorites out of Hollywood movies. I'm sure Kubrick, Tarantino and Scorsese would be recurring names. Hell, if the "what is everybody reading" thread is anything to go by, we'd have Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Neal Stephenson topping a lot of lists for fiction in dead tree form.

The reason is because the question is, in reality, "what games are most influential for the sorts of audiences our subculture comprises?" and thus, what's being measured is as much you as it is the games you rate.

khaz
26-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Tough list to make but can give it a crack. My current favourites for a top 10:

Jedi Knight
NOLF 1
Half Life 1
Left4Dead
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Borderlands 2
Enemy Territory
CoD4: Modern Warfare
Mirror's Edge
Thief 2

I desperately wanted to put FarCry 2 in this list but those fucking respawns. Fuck you Ubisoft. Crysis: Warhead was a close runner as well.

TechnicalBen
26-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Mirror's Edge was a FPJ, not a FPS. ;)

SanguineAngel
26-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I think I see what you're saying there Nalano. I suppose that was a also little bit a case of viewing the facts to fit my own agenda (too many bland fps's in the world).

There are some great games in this thread, though it does make me wish for more games after the jedi knight school of design.

friskydingo
26-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Blood - 1997
System Shock 2 - 1999
Serious Sam: BFE - 2012
Thief: The Dark Project - 1998
Alien vs Predator 2 - 2001
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - 2007
Portal 1 and 2 - 2007 and 2010
Painkiller - 2004
TimeSplitters 2 - 2002

List is in no order. Yea, I know TimeSplitters is not a PC title. But it still easily stands as one the best the FPS genre has to offer in terms of pure fun and mayhem. In any case it is getting a PC remake (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-crytek-authorised-timesplitters-rewind-in-development-for-pc) in CryEngine 3.

Fumarole
26-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Ghost Recon
Rainbow 6: Raven Shield
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress Classic
Far Cry 3
Stalker
Aliens vs Predator
Left 4 Dead
Half-Life 2
Portal

There's no real order to this list. Some are included simply for the awesome times I've had playing with friends, and not necessarily an indication of the game's quality on its own merits.