PDA

View Full Version : George Ziets added to Eternity. As a stretch goal.

Bhazor
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
So in a move which I'd actually describe as kinda cute Obsidian has added one of it's most requested stretch goals. George Ziets creator of Mask of the Betrayer (and much overlooked Dungeon Siege 3) will join the team if $2.8million is reached (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/325242). Which at this point, $2.5million with a week to go, looks as inevitable as Christmas in December.

What's cute is that it seems to have happened because of a big push on the forums which included several posters contacting Ziets directly. If so then it's a pretty big indication how much attention Obsidian are paying to their backers.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60038-merged-george-ziets-as-as-the-28-million-stretch-goal/
http://www.formspring.me/GZiets

Casimir Effect
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Goddamnit Obsidian! they just keep trying to get me to increase my pledge. Mask of the Betrayer is one of my favourite ever RPGs and in story terms is second only to Torment really. And DS3 was a great game in itself which desperately needs a sequel.

Maybe I can go a week without, y'know, food.

icupnimpn2
10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd never really heard of this guy, so found it somewhat amusing and perplexing when a dude with an uncommon name came up as a stretch goal. Was at first entranced by the possibilities, such as maybe all contributors would get joint ownership of his soul.

frightlever
10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
At $3 million they're bringing Seymour Doagh out of retirement.

Yes, the original janitor from back in the Gold Box days.

Hanban
10-10-2012, 04:07 PM

A garbage can is just a more grunge kind of supermarket! Go dive!

NathanH
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Goddamnit Obsidian! they just keep trying to get me to increase my pledge. Mask of the Betrayer is one of my favourite ever RPGs and in story terms is second only to Torment really. And DS3 was a great game in itself which desperately needs a sequel.

The sensible thing to do would be to keep your pledge at its current level and only add to it if it comes down to the last day and they haven't yet quite met the stretch goal that you are interested in.

fiddlesticks
10-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Mask of the Betrayer is the best written game I've ever played, so this announcement feels me with glee.

That said, I'm certain this won't lead to an increase in backers because that would imply there are people who haven't yet backed Project: Eternity. Which is crazy talk.

Spider Jerusalem
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
i didn't know there were people that liked ds3.

Alphabet
10-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I am wildly excited for this, but I'm annoyed that the novella is only available at the $50 level because I had already chosen the $35 level (even when the $20 level was available) and I think they're being a little cheeky with their pricing. That said if I do put down the extra $15 for the novella it brings that 2.8m stretch goal a bit closer...

Bhazor
10-10-2012, 05:34 PM

Hell it's a better action RPG than Diablo 3.

Spider Jerusalem
10-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Hell it's a better action RPG than Diablo 3.
hah. you'll get no fight from me there.

coldvvvave
10-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I did.

Internet
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
He's not really a sale or no sale for me. MotB was really good, but several (perhaps even the best) portions of the plot had Avellone's fingerprints: a character who had committed huge sins but was somehow disassociated from them, companions who are drawn to the main character through their complicity or weakness, etc. Ziets has a really hit or miss record for me: LotR (somewhat meh), DDO (very good), MotB (very good with the irritating spirit mechanic), and DSIII (bad for an action game but above par for Dungeon Siege).

Bhazor
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
And he's in.
$2,822,800 and still 4 days to go.

Lets hope he becomes a permanent fixture with Obsidian.