PDA

View Full Version : Squadron 42: Space combat game by the creator of wing commander. Ambitious as hell.

Finicky
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/5/1/9/7/5/1/wc_hangar_hornet_blastoff000103.jpg.jpg

Elaborate presentation video here: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010
High quality screenshots here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-10-star-citizen-screenshots_8
Higher quality short trailer here : http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/gx1of4/squadron-42-star-citizen-trailer
Crowd funding pitch, always funny to watch these things : http://player.vimeo.com/video/51135962

Skip to 23 minutes in the presentation if you just want to see the tech demonstration/gameplay bits.

Seems like the guy is really ambitious about the game, for example he mentions how you can have other players aboard your ship to just roam the deck/hallways and look out of the window as you fight, or man your turrets like in star wars, or even man your fighter jets inside your hangar (if you have one) and take off from inside your hangar and protect you/fight alongside you.

Imo the from the presentation the guy seems really insightful (though his nerves seem to be killing him), well worth watching.
Here is an article that happens to also be a good summary of the presentation:
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/10/3483084/star-citizen-wing-commander-chris-roberts

From the tech demo bit: the graphics look insane, to me it looks like the kind of mega leap crysis was in 2007 compared to everything else at the time.
The cockpits look brilliant too.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
Here is the game's website, it will have all the info and updates about the game, this is also where their crowd funding thingy is located.

BobbyFizz
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Still another year or so till we'll be playing it in any form (alpha/beta etc), by what he said in the presentation. Looks absolutely brilliant though.

Edit: est. delivery on the early access pack is Nov 2014.

Finicky
10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Still another year or so till we'll be playing it in any form (alpha/beta etc), by what he said in the presentation. Looks absolutely brilliant though.

Edit: est. delivery on the early access pack is Nov 2014.

Yeah but mixing wing commander with freelancer and eve and adding a bunch of all-new stuff should make any space game fan salivate.

He actually genuinly sounds like he wants to make a game, a special game.
Most presentations sound like they just want to make money, and the game is but a means to an end.

Drake Sigar
10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah but mixing wing commander with freelancer and eve and adding a bunch of all-new stuff should make any space game fan salivate.

I want a fantastic single-player story in the midst of a galactic war and a slew of deep colourful characters to fight alongside and play poker with. It seems unlikely I'll get that if the developer insists on mixing all those elements when just one is hard enough to get right.

*Heroic pose* General buzzkill, away!

frenz0rz
10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm incredibly excited, but I pray it doesnt go the way of Freelancer. That is to say an extremely overambitious myriad of brilliant ideas that is never completed, and is eventually cut to pieces and released half-finished so as to prevent the whole venture being a total failure. Thats not to say that I didnt love Freelancer, but the whole experience was always slightly soured by the nagging feeling that it could have been so much more. I truly hope that this becomes the game that Chris Roberts has wanted to make all along.

At least this time theres no big nasty publisher (Microsoft) to force the thing out before its done and then proceed to dismantle the company. Hoorah for crowd funding?

Also, please have John Rhys-Davies as a voice actor in the singleplayer campaign again.

(Edit: He was in Wing Commander too?!)

Sparkasaurusmex
10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
you can have other players aboard your ship to just roam the deck/hallways and look out of the window as you fight, or man your turrets like in star wars, or even man your fighter jets inside your hangar (if you have one) and take off from inside your hangar and protect you/fight alongside you.
If this works I will need some friends! Sounds awesome, just what I've always wanted in a spaceship game.

Mohorovicic
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh brother. Another space game that pretends it's World War I dogfight sim.

Okay - so real space is boring. I get it. But why not use something else then? Basically what you want for games like these is a)zero gravity environment and b) friction(or in other words, a medium - probably an atmosphere). Is it really that hard to come up with an original setting that combines the two? Hell, I can think of several possibilities right now. Most of them are borderline improbable, sure, but they're still better than tearing the laws of physics a new one in ye olde space.

Makariel
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I'll probably just walk around the carrier for hours, looking for people to play poker with. 'Ambitious' is a word being thrown around a lot now, but that sums it up quite nicely. For now I'd just want to see the Wing-Commander-esque singleplayer campaign. If they make this Privateer/Freelancer MMO afterwards, that's fine too, as long as they don't charge me a monthly subscription fee.

World War 2 I think. At least it's not adapting what looks like line infantry tactics from Napoleonic times (ME3, I'm looking at you) or 17th century naval warfare (Star Trek Online), so thats already something.

Bilbo1981
10-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Looks amazing!

Grizzly
10-10-2012, 11:39 PM
From the tech demo bit: the graphics look insane, to me it looks like the kind of mega leap crysis was in 2007 compared to everything else at the time.

One of the big advantages of making space games is that space is empty, and therefore, does not have to be rendered into polygons. So polygons you normally spent on, say, trees and buildings can now be spent on making spaceships extremely pretty.

Internet
10-10-2012, 11:46 PM
$30 / 24 pounds is a hell of a lot to pay for a game kickstarter, and hosting the crowdfunding on his own site is a bit sketchy (even if it will save tens of thousands).

DaftPunk
11-10-2012, 02:18 AM
We have a new graphic king :o

coldvvvave
11-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Was BVR combat ever realized in any non-hardcore sim game?

RakeShark
11-10-2012, 11:54 PM
The amount of squee I've have over the last 2 days... I need to write something up for y'all. Soon.

Hensler
12-10-2012, 04:48 AM
I dunno - I'm pledging some money, but I remember big promises like this about Starlancer and Freelancer that never came to fruition. Freelancer was a fun game, but it was more or less Diablo in space. Before Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil, Roberts was making Molyneaux-esque hype and promises about what he was making. I'm hoping for greatness out of this project, but the man has burned me before.

BillButNotBen
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
This sounds and looks awesome - but...

I never liked the wing commander flight model... it felt like it had no flight model.

I've never been able to enjoy a space sim without a decent joystick. They just don't feel right on a mouse or a gamepad. Even freespace 2 felt like a floaty console shooter when i tried to play it without a joystick. And no-one has a joystick now. And no shops sell joysticks. And even if you have one it's probably in a box somewhere and it's a pain to dig out.

I honestly feel that curent gen tech could make an awesome space shooter... but I don't know if they can overcome these issues. Particularly the second. Unless they bundle in a stick peripheral guitar-hero style.

SanguineAngel
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
This sounds and looks awesome - but...

I never liked the wing commander flight model... it felt like it had no flight model.

I've never been able to enjoy a space sim without a decent joystick. They just don't feel right on a mouse or a gamepad. Even freespace 2 felt like a floaty console shooter when i tried to play it without a joystick. And no-one has a joystick now. And no shops sell joysticks. And even if you have one it's probably in a box somewhere and it's a pain to dig out.

I honestly feel that curent gen tech could make an awesome space shooter... but I don't know if they can overcome these issues. Particularly the second. Unless they bundle in a stick peripheral guitar-hero style.

Well I am 100% with you on the joystick front. Since discovering WC & X-Wing on the PC I have only ever felt right piloting spaceships with a joystick. Mouse control just doesn't feel right. It's too precise, too easy, doesn't control right and doesn't feel epic.

I always liked the Wing commander flight model and x wing and freespace etc. I preferred IW2 though. When freelancer came out I snapped it up but the mouse controls made it feel like a completely different genre. more like diablo as someone said above.

Anyway... joysticks are widely available! I bought one a couple of months ago - not some massive flight sim behemoth but an honest to goodness joystick http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming/joysticks/extreme-3d-pro got it for like 25 too. Grab one, play the old classics and pray this game is going to be everything we dream of!

deFUNKt
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Feel I need to post somewhere that I'm pretty cheesed off by their roll-your-own-crowd-funding debacle.

After pledging I got a receipt from PayPal and a notification from MailChimp that I'd been added to some list but nothing at all from RSI. The account details I submitted on pledging won't log me into their site and after I manually created an account with the same details I cannot post because my account isn't activated (after 24+ hours) though there's no mention of activation by e-mail and no such message in my Inbox (or SPAM trap). I e-mailed their support address 48+ hours ago and haven't received so much as an automated acknowledgement back.

I understand that there's no way to fully test systems under extreme load and that sometimes things go wrong but there's not even so much as a sticky post in their forums offering answers to common concerns or what they're working on resolving - how hard would that be? All in all I don't think I can remember ever parting with cash before just to feel so shabbily treated.

My advice; DO NOT PLEDGE UNTIL THEY CAN DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY AREN'T IN FACT RANK AMATEURS.

RakeShark
13-10-2012, 05:04 PM
So, two days of being in the mirth of this announcement in Austin. I was going to write something like a story, but I'd rather give out the information I gleaned/overheard/talked directly to Chris Roberts, at least information that is not under any NDA or would burn freshly built bridges.

- nVidia/ATI/Alienware/Razer have approached Mr. Roberts about cross promotions. No word on a possible joystick promotion with Logitech/Thrustmaster/Saitek yet, but has been heavily suggested.
- As stated by Roberts, the crowdfunding event is only part of the fundraising work they are doing. He wants to show potential investors that there is legitimate and massive interest in a space sim product. How much money is swimming out there is unknown and speculative, but the crowdfunding is definitely key to the budget as well.
- As also stated, Occulus Rift support is very much planned. Roberts thinks Star Citizen could make great use of it, because there'd be no disorientation in movement as FPSs would (looking one direction, trying to walk in another).
- Roberts has a beast of a gaming laptop.
- The multiple player ships are intended to work much like Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed's large ships.
- The intention of the private crowdfund drive, as opposed to using Kickstarter, was to keep the community of fans together, ease the identification process of giving out rewards, and to make it easier for Roberts to interact and communicate with the community well beyond the crowdfunding drive.
- The main site was down for 30+ hours, aside from giving interviews, all Roberts has done for the last few days is anguish over the downed site, trying to get it back up.
- At this moment ongoing they are hand counting all donations, between the NA, EU, and Paypal options.

Patrick Swayze
13-10-2012, 06:01 PM
All this talk of a WW1 sim... and nobody has played the fucking game.

I swear 90% of the forumites here all hate fun.

Grizzly
13-10-2012, 06:15 PM
All this talk of a WW1 sim... and nobody has played the fucking game.

I swear 90% of the forumites here all hate fun.

Ooh come on, people have just said the space combat in WC games is like WW1 / WW2 (Guns are by far the most important factor in killing other stuff, as opposed to modern times where it is missiles). We never said that that is not fun.

In fact, I consider it to be the most fun way of dogfighting.

RakeShark
13-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Funny enough, I asked Roberts about this.

Wing Commander 1 and 2 did have full flight models, but Wing Commander 3 did not. Essentially the lead programmer cheated when production was nearing the end, which had the odd benefit of giving birth to the autoslide feature. It's why the combat in WC3 feels like you're always flying in a straight line as opposed to momentum we had been used to in prior games. The intended flight model was then reintroduced into Wing Commander 4.

internetonsetadd
13-10-2012, 08:46 PM
... hosting the crowdfunding on his own site is a bit sketchy (even if it will save tens of thousands).

I think it went beyond sketchy and halfway toward failure. To have that level of exposure and not be able to convert it into pledges at maximum capacity was a long dive off suck mountain. The campaign page is presently failing to do a couple crucial things. There's still no counter (the total was somewhere north of $400k last I saw). And there's no easy comment page for the forumly disinclined, and thus no means of encouraging casual backers to stay involved. I'm pretty sure these things matter.

IISC, at launch the first two tiers of substance ($30 and $35) were limited, with the $40 tier being the standard base tier. The $35 tier is gone now, and the $30 tier doesn't seem to be limited any longer. I'm not sure what impact that's going to have on the campaign, but I imagine any savings self-hosting was going to provide is on its way toward evaporating. As much as I want this project to succeed, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend $40 on a digital pre-order two years in advance, so good riddance.

RakeShark
14-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, the counter is back up, as well as plans for supporting some requested features.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/were-back/

internetonsetadd
14-10-2012, 09:21 AM
That's a pretty good haul, all things considered. Looks like they got the limited tier situation sorted out.

RakeShark
14-10-2012, 05:11 PM
So, a few more details have surfaced:

1) A Kickstarter page is going up soon, it will be responsible for half of the $2 million fundraising goal, as many people have demanded/suggested that the project be on there because they trust the site (or won't donate/buy unless it's on Kickstarter/Steam). The Pledge amounts will be the same across both sites.

2) Multiplayer servers have a cap of 128 players.

3) Former Origin and Digital Anvil folk on the project include George Oldziey, Martin Galway, and Eric Peterson, as well as many others.

4) Donations will support the option of being increased on both sites.

RakeShark
17-10-2012, 07:22 AM
So one correction, the Kickstarter is going to be $500k, not $1 million. They don't want the private fund to lose any steam, so to speak.

Also, to respond to assumptions that the single player part of the game is somehow tertiary and not a major part of the game, Roberts wrote on the RSI facebook page:

Hi, Chris Roberts here.

I've seen a few concerned posts on the Facebook stream about whether there's going to be a single player game, and whether if the budget gets tight will that be the first feature that gets cut.

I just want to be clear with everyone, Squadron 42 is an integral part of the Star Citizen experience and it will be the classic Wing Commander experience that everyone loved (without the FMV though!)

In fact the order of the development means that there's no way that Squadron 42 will be cut, as the features for this, and multi-player dogfights are the first steps in building Star Citizen. The prototype that I showed already includes most of the functionality that I need for Squadron 42. There's still a lot of polish to do on the dogfighting and assets to be created but Squadron 42 is not the difficult part of Star Citizen.

The difficult part is building the open world that Squadron 42 fits inside. I'm confident of that too as I've built this open world twice, and have done a lot upfront technical design work to avoid some of the problems that I dealt with on Freelancer

So ambitious yes. Achievable? Most definitely!

Tikey
17-10-2012, 01:45 PM
(without the fmv though!)

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO

Can we have Mark Hamill at least?

FriendlyFire
17-10-2012, 05:12 PM
One of the stretch goals should totally be getting Hamill.

SanguineAngel
17-10-2012, 05:15 PM
That would make my decade.

Drake Sigar
17-10-2012, 05:35 PM
He's 60, I doubt they could stuff his gut into the old flight suit anymore. Would be nice to at least get him doing some voiceacting though. And Thomas Wilson of course. It's just not a Wing Commanderesque game unless I'm being bullied by Biff.

RakeShark
18-10-2012, 06:39 PM
So the project just broke the halfway mark. One million down, one million to go.

The JG Man
18-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm really trying to work out how much money to give. First Responder or Make Mine A Double. The digital stuff is all tempting, along with the extra little perks...but how much of that stuff is going to be easily obtainable in game? I know I have plenty of time to decide (well, in so much as how many spaces there are for the get-in-early ones) but eh, not sure!

RakeShark
18-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Now you have to decide which site to give it to, in addition to the main site, the $500k Kickstarter is up:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=live

internetonsetadd
18-10-2012, 07:40 PM
And now the community is split for the length of the campaign, when community cohesion was listed as one of the reasons for self-facilitating the funding process. Not too juicy, this.

RakeShark
18-10-2012, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-zN5q7sBKmc

Not so much split, it's just a quarter of the intended goal, as there was a lot of noise about the project not being a kickstarter, or people wanting a second option.

internetonsetadd
18-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Split enough. I'd prefer to casually interact with all the backers in one place (Kickstarter). I'm not inclined to sit around on the forum reading through specific topics. I think it should have been Kickstarter from the start.

MoLAoS
18-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Presumably he didn't want Amazon/Kickstarter to siphon away hundreds of thousands of dollars. 200k for a 2 million $ project is quite a lot of cash that doesn't go towards the game. Something like 3 dev's for a whole year.

gundato
18-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Split enough. I'd prefer to casually interact with all the backers in one place (Kickstarter). I'm not inclined to sit around on the forum reading through specific topics. I think it should have been Kickstarter from the start.
Most existing (large scale) KSes already do that. The forums have most of the communication with periodic updates to the KS feed. Because the developers don't want their entire community dependent on KS.

RakeShark
20-10-2012, 09:45 AM
As of right now, the whole project is looking at just over 70% funded at a total of $1,401,023 raised between the RSI and Kickstarter sites. This is impressive to me not only because it's a space sim, a genre even smaller like Kickstarters have struggled to achieve funding for, but because of the 3 day website crater that probably lost a good chunk of hype change.

I think it will peeter out at maybe $3 million, but depending on how much Chris Roberts dances for cash in the hat, it could go for slightly more.

Not to pop the cork just yet, but I'm probably going to have to start looking into making an Oculus Rift space-fighter helmet with headphone and microphone, as well as a force feedback chair, and foot petals, and swanky HOTAS setup, and one of those old Afterburner arcade cabinets that had some pod motion.

Finicky
20-10-2012, 11:22 AM
And now the community is split for the length of the campaign, when community cohesion was listed as one of the reasons for self-facilitating the funding process. Not too juicy, this.

"waa we want kickstarter, the community coherence excuse is bullshit waa"
They start up a kickstarter... 'waaaaa but now they split the community'

Make up your minds.

RakeShark
20-10-2012, 06:05 PM
As much as they tried to cater to them, I don't think the "community cohesion" thing is really a big deal right now.

internetonsetadd
20-10-2012, 08:34 PM
"waa we want kickstarter, the community coherence excuse is bullshit waa"
They start up a kickstarter... 'waaaaa but now they split the community'

Make up your minds.

Burp. I have a mind. I backed on RSI and did not request Kickstarter. I have no idea why people weren't comfortable pledging outside its apparently lulling bosom. That made no sense to me, especially since RSI had a refund-if-goal-not-met option.

I didn't say split the community, full stop. I said for the length of the campaign. Project comment sections have several functions, which include shaping the course of the campaign, providing consensus-style feedback on the project itself, and generating excitement, which potential backers can see at a glance. And the majority of the project's backers can't participate there. The forums are a great place for specific topics, but they don't provide a meeting place for an all-in-one conversation, one that promotes comradery and fosters a community will to see a campaign succeed.

Forums tend to be more disparate places, where people seem to have an internet boner for shitting out hostility all over everyone else for no good reason.

bonkers
21-10-2012, 09:37 AM
I have no idea why people weren't comfortable pledging outside its apparently lulling bosom. That made no sense to me, especially since RSI had a refund-if-goal-not-met option.
Because people are idiots. Just look at all the "No buy if not on Steam" comments that pop up every single time a game is announced.

RakeShark
23-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Combined total between Kickstarter and the main Star Citizen RSI site is at $1,798,916. That's just a sneeze away from 90% funded.

Word is the Kickstarter site will have some specific stretch goals, different from the main site's. Hopefully they don't start talking about the $6 mil stretch goal, because that'd be kinda stupid. One stretch goal at a time, folks.

RakeShark
25-10-2012, 10:02 AM
As of right now, Star Citizen is at a combined $1,989,802 funds raised. That's 99% baby.

Additionally, for those who were waiting on pledge ship-gift information, there's a whole slew of stats and flight/combat theory here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

UPDATE: $2,000,000 reached. We shall have, in our lifetime, one more space sim.

bonkers
25-10-2012, 11:46 AM
And I still haven't pledged. One of those "I do that tomorrow" things...

And controlling ships with several people (pilot and gunners) sounds pretty awesome. Always wanted to do that since the Tie-Fighter combat with the Millenium Falcon.

RakeShark
30-10-2012, 10:08 AM
And now for the newest update:

Everyone who pledged gets a robot. You get a robot! You, you get a robot! Robots for everyone! The repair kind, at least.

The next kickstarter milestone will see the pilotable player ship cap raised to a "Corvette", which looks like somewhere between a tank and an assault shuttle for boarding actions. Oh, in case you didn't see it, there will be boarding actions in Star Citizen. For the next overall combined milestone, they're looking at $2.5 mil for another new ship. Finally, the $3 mil milestone will have depth and additions to the single player campaign, the multiplayer component, the community updates, and probably some odds and ends. The stretch goal list can be found here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comprehensive-stretch-goals/

There is also some rumor and speculation that one of the kickstarter stretch goals is bobbleheads and toy dinosaurs to decorate your cockpit in game.

Mohorovicic
30-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh, in case you didn't see it, there will be boarding actions in Star Citizen.

I thought the game was only fighter/bomber/frigate deal. Interesting.

Tikey
30-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I wish I could fly capital ships.
Maybe in the future.

RakeShark
30-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I thought I spotted somewhere in the middle stretch goals that a destroyer was to be designed as a player-flyable ship.

The JG Man
30-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I imagine down the line capital ships will be pilotable.

I'm very excited about this project. The idea of running around with a few friends and doing whatever it is you decide to do sounds utterly exciting. I look forward to flying with some RPS pilots.

Drake
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
There is also some rumor and speculation that one of the kickstarter stretch goals is bobbleheads and toy dinosaurs to decorate your cockpit in game.

It's not just a rumor, its true. You can see the goal in the main site.

RakeShark
13-11-2012, 06:06 AM
Been awhile since I've updated y'all.

As of this writing, Star Citizen stands at $3,370,432 pledged, nearly 170% funded. The Kickstarter site has produced $1,160,928 in pledges.

The Star Citizen project enters its last week of fundraising, looking to cap the project at a solid $4 million, or 200%. Additionally, they're looking to generate a total of $1.5 million from the Kickstarter site.

Here the final week video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_eYvXhx5c&feature=plcp

So, what happens when $4 million is raised total and $1.5 million is raised on Kickstarter?

Well, on Kickstarter the following will be included in development and made ready for the product release:
$1.25 Million - Hidden Smuggler Asteroids: I assume this to be more along the lines of the Privateer pirate bases like Pentonvillie, the converted old mining outpost. However I don't rule out the idea that you can hallow out your own asteroid a hide your weed in it.
$1.5 Million - Two additional ships for release: This would bring the total accessible ships in Star Citizen (the online persistent part) up to 12.

For the project total, here is what happens when the set milestones are reached:
$3.5 million - Cockpit/Ship Decorations: Along with the bobble-heads and dinosaurs, there are things like nose art, posters, and pictures that can be added to your ship's living/working space. I assume more options of placement will be given on the large multi-player ships, a la SWG: Jump to Lightspeed.
$4 million - The Ultimate Goal: Long story short, we're looking at the following...
- Monthly Developer Webcasts and Updates
- Creation of Mod Tools for the Community for Free, Released On or Shortly After Product Release
- A Total of 45 Missions in the Squadron 42 Single Player Campaign, With Expanded Detail and Storyline Added
- A "As Intended" Online Persistent Star Citizen Multiplayer, with 50 Star Systems Ready On Launch
- One More Ship Created For Launch, For a Total of 13 Ships

Additionally, at the top of every $100k recorded on the RSI website, a new star system will be added to the game leading up to the 50 milestone total, regardless of the milestones met.

For those who are happy with their pledge levels but would like alternate rewards for additional donations, on the Kickstarter site (and soon to be on the RSI site) there are Add-On options and rewards. In addition to "buying" ships, you also have the options to buy the following:
Digital Add-Ons (For those who have pledged $/ 30 and above):
Digital Electro Skin Hull Enhancement +$5
Add-On Ship: Aurora +$25
Add-On Ship: 300i +$55
Add-On Ship: Hornet +$110
Add-On Ship: Freelancer +$110
Add-On Ship: Constellation +$225
Digital Download: Star Map +$5
Digital Download: Full Star Citizen Soundtrack +$10
Digital Download: 42 page book “The Making of Star Citizen” +$10
Digital Download: 42 page book “Engineering Manual for Modders” +$10
Digital Download: Star Citizen Novella written by Dave Haddock, the man behind the Time Capsule and Spectrum Dispatch lore. (delivery TBA) +$15

Physical Add-Ons (Shipping for free in US for donations at or above $/ 125. International shipping will be covered by previous ledges IF your pledge included shipping already. If not the case with your pledge, shipping cost will need to be added t both US and International pledges):
Fold up glossy full color map of the game universe +$10
CD of game soundtrack +$20
Hardback bound 42 Page Book “Squadron 42 Manual” +$20
Hardback bound 42 page Book “Engineering Manual for Modders” +$20
Hardback bound 42 page book “The Making of Star Citizen” +$25
Spaceship shaped USB stick +$30

To select these Add-Ons, you will be given a survey at the end of the fundraising, and asked what Add-Ons you wish to have, and you can specify them there. More information on the Add-On system can be found here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/kickstarter-reward-customization/

I'm not too sure, but I've heard rumors of an "end-of-fundraising" livestream party being planned as well. Pretty sure it will be in Austin again.

Anyway, that's the info dump. I know many have pledged to Star Citizen already, and many are excited to give to Elite: Dangerous as well (or at least excited to get more info before giving to it). I'm just glad we will have a new high-end space sim in our lifetime.

RakeShark
13-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Also, for the more "I'd like to see actual gameplay demonstration" crowd, there was an AI Test video released recently, showcasing what's been done so far for wingman AI and formation flying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuynSgAvleo&feature=plcp

Derbefrier
16-11-2012, 12:49 AM
so IGN just came out with an article of the ship design for the Constellation. I instantly bought one. it was everything I hoped it would be. you can check that out here
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/star-citizen-ship-design-and-star-wars-fantasies

Also they have updated the stretch goals with some even more badass stuff. This game is going to be so epic. Its gonna be a long wait..

The JG Man
16-11-2012, 01:11 AM
3 days to get up to 4m, with 280K to go. No questions, it will be. It's been fun reading all the system stuff. Granted, it's mostly 'fluff', but the details as to what stuff would be good to trade, or the things you can expect, has just been generally interesting.

I'm happy with my 300i though, whatever it looks like.

RakeShark
16-11-2012, 07:29 PM
It is confirmed that there will be an end-of-fundraising livestream being put on from Sunday to Monday, and I think it will be a 24 hour event. Yours truly will be in attendance.

The JG Man
16-11-2012, 07:40 PM
3.9m.

I think I might watch that livestream too. Hopefully they'll publish a bit more information at the same time. At that, as good a quality as the Constellation, which looked incredible. The Freelancer poll on the site too means it'll look good whatever it finally looks like.

Derbefrier
16-11-2012, 07:48 PM
just past the 3.9m mark time for a new start system! The website is about to explode I think though. Hell we will probably hit the 4 mil mark before the day is over if it doesn't go down

The JG Man
16-11-2012, 07:50 PM
The website has been going slow all day, I've noticed. The pledge rates and amounts have definitely been increasing in the last few days too. I don't think it'll get to 4.5m, but who knows at this point...

The JG Man
17-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Double post for 4m mark. Mod tools for everyone!

RakeShark
17-11-2012, 03:25 AM
/deep breath

Squeeeeeeeeee!

internetonsetadd
17-11-2012, 04:45 AM
I pledged on the backup site, and didn't realize that I had to request that my pledge be linked with my account. I did that a few days ago, but my pledge still isn't showing up. It'd be nice to see it confirmed before the campaign is over.

For a project that interests me as much as this one does, I've barely followed the campaign--probably because I get no updates via e-mail, which pushes it off my radar. I'd like to follow development over the next two years without having to periodically remember the project exists, so I'm kind of wishing I'd pledged on Kickstarter at this point. Maybe it's worth a dollar just for the convenience of e-mail updates--but first I'd like to know if my pledge actually registered.

RakeShark
17-11-2012, 09:21 AM
If your profile isn't registering your pledge, you need to email Sandi, she's been the point of contact for missing pledges.

There's also a pledge "recovery" system you can go through: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge-form/

The JG Man
17-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I find the final sentence rather amusing.

$4.2 million! Which means that Star Citizen is now the highest crowd-funded game project ever! You’ve earned this star system, and a lot more! Let’s go for $4.5! By the way: you guys are now unlocking systems faster than our artists can finish them… we promise we’ll add the missing concepts in the near future.

EDIT:

Final stretch goal announced - $5.5m means the biggest pilotable ship will be...the Bengal carrier class.

A carrier.

A mother flippin' carrier.

Also,

We're also going to be offering several limited-time special-offer ship packages. We want to stress beforehand, though, that these are ONLY to support the game. Every single additional ship we offer for sale in the next 48 hours will never be sold for cash again… but they will be available through gameplay. If you decide to pick one up, it should be because you want to support Star Citizen and not because you're worried it's a ship you'll never have otherwise. Check back soon to see the new ship options!

RakeShark
18-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Holy crap, I'm not going to be able to keep you all updated with all the things going on in this last push. Needless to say RSI are going to open up a lot of pledge options, as well as some other things in addition to the livestream they're doing.

All I can say is you'll be spoiled for choice these last hours.

I just hope they don't offer more than they can serve.

The JG Man
18-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Don't worry, I'll try and help out where possible!

New pledge options, all $110:

Wingnut (digital), Lancer (digital), Drake Cutlass (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/unlock-caterpillar-new-items-and-subscriptions/) (digital) - PIRATES, ME HARTE (it comes with gear for piracy)!

A couple of subscriptions, $10/$20 per month. Read the site for more details because it's quite specific.

Some new skins, specifically pirate ones.

New armoured transport (for pirates - see previous link). $4.4 Eealus system (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/name-a-system/).

Mohorovicic
18-11-2012, 09:03 AM
So like every morning I am drinking a hot half empty glass of hot birch-tar with my cynical monocle on and then I see this thread.

Want to know what I think?

internetonsetadd
18-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Sit around kids, your old dad is going to tell you the story of how your dreams are unrealistic and your prospects hopeless.

Mohorovicic
18-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Also: Santa is dead.

internetonsetadd
18-11-2012, 08:59 PM
As long as one isn't squatting on a project page, squatting over people's faces, any criticism is worth entertaining, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not particularly fond of the Kickstarter as love-in phenomenon.

Grizzly
18-11-2012, 10:27 PM
So like every morning I am drinking a hot half empty glass of hot birch-tar with my cynical monocle on and then I see this thread.

Oh, please just say what you think, we can just skip the post if we don't want to hear it.

Tikey
19-11-2012, 02:34 AM
5 million now, and amongst other things we get:

Celebrity voice-acting for Squadron 42; we will bring back at least one favorite from Wing Commander!

Please let it be Mark Hamill

Also playable cruisers and destroyers.
Man, this is looking great.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Assuming pledge amounts maintain this speed, $5.5 should be easily passed. Added to the 5.5m goal:

-Mo-cap for Squadron 42
-'Record Breaking' skin
-Additional 1,000 starting credits for all backers.

$6m stretch has been added and honestly, far more interesting stuff I think:

-Launch with 100 systems
-Full orchestral score (this is the big one for me)
-'First Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines, available for free for all backers upon release (a 16-mission campaign in the style of The Secret Missions)' - seems like an expansion pack.

Live-stream page (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/live/), currently featuring empty rooms! There are also some one-day-only ships and such, including that asymetric fighter, available to add-on (EDIT: The Vanduul fighter cannot be bought in-game, but can be captured). These ships will be purchaseable in-game at some point, even if you don't get them now.

There's been some interim system updates with each 100K, but I figure people can see those in their own time. At time of writing, up to $5.1m ($1.76m on KS, meaning it could meet the original target by itself) with just over 16 hours to go.

Tikey
19-11-2012, 02:56 AM
There are also some one-day-only ships and such, including that asymetric fighter, available to add-on. These ships will be purchaseable in-game at some point, even if you don't get them now.

As I understood the vanduul fighters (or whatever they're called) cannot be purchased in game. The only way to get them beside pledging now, is by disabling and capturing it.

Derbefrier
19-11-2012, 03:03 AM
looks like the 5.5 mil goal is in the bag as long as pledges keep their pace. The big question is will it reach 6 mil. Its been quite a thing watching how fast this is all happening I bet Chris Roberts and company are still in disbelief,These guys have to be the happiest people on the planet right now. I know I would be. This is pretty amazing. I am also happy about the boxed editions they decided to add to some of the higher tiers Cant wait till I get my signed silver edition :D.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 03:33 AM
As I understood the vanduul fighters (or whatever they're called) cannot be purchased in game.

Yeah, that was an over-sight by me. I've edited that previous post.

looks like the 5.5 mil goal is in the bag as long as pledges keep their pace. The big question is will it reach 6 mil.

If it keeps this pace, yes. If it keeps it, of course. Considering at this current time, it is unlikely anyone from Europe is pledging and in a few hours, those in the US will be going to sleep. That doesn't mean it won't burst again with the few hours left of US day-time, but the pace will drop off soon.

internetonsetadd
19-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Still no confirmation on whether or not my pledge made it into their system. Sandi is supposed to look into it for me, but the clock is winding down. I managed to sneak in a $30 pledge on KS as a backup, but I'll have to cancel it if I don't hear back from her before I go to sleep.

AlManiak
19-11-2012, 10:34 AM
They've got 5.5 Mil. I wonder if there is a world record being broken in this somewhere.

Matchstick
19-11-2012, 11:26 AM
They've got 5.5 Mil. I wonder if there is a world record being broken in this somewhere.

I think Project Eternity's $3,986,929 was the record holder up till now, so if true this would make it a new record.

I wonder of they can actually get to $6mill in the 7 hours remaining

Apparently $6mill is what they really wanted when they started the fund raising ($2mill was the minimum they felt they needed to get the project started in a restricted form) and getting there will mean
"At six million you'll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines."

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 12:32 PM
6.5 hours, 412K. I was reading a model last night that expected $6.1m. Looking at the numbers myself, I thought 6.2 earlier on yesterday. I think it will hit 6, just.

http://vimeo.com/53829036

It's basically them just showing off CryEngine 3.

bonkers
19-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Whatever that disc-shaped ship is, I want it.

by the way: those addon-ships and different titles: those are only the ones you start with? You can get those/become a mercenary ingame if you want to?

*edit*
Mechwarrior Online was the most succesfull crowdfunded game as it made 5mil just by their "founder packages" sales. Star Citizen just beat that. 5.6mil and counting.

AlManiak
19-11-2012, 01:41 PM
As far as I understand its like this:

You pledge money now you get the specified ship as your starter ship with free lifetime insurance.
You CAN get these ships in the game by gameplay ways (credits, capturing etc...) but you will have to pay ingame currency to buy said insurance (bit like EVE)

Insurance being ship replenishment when you lose your ship

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Also, if you pledge before the crowd funding ends, you can upgrade your package at these current prices, thereby assuming that they'll change once crowd funding ends.

5hr15mins to go, 5.66m. It's going to be close.

bonkers
19-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the explanation. So I think I stick with the basic one. Thats a bit of a too pricey upgrade just for a ship and the insurance.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 01:56 PM
It's worth noting that any ship bought during the crowd funding phase will have free life insurance.

Matchstick
19-11-2012, 02:04 PM
So 5 hours to go with $5.68mil so far.

It's going to be tight but much of the US is only just waking up now so maybe that will provide the boost necessary.

(To put it in context - to hit 6mil they need to get more than $1000 per minute - $296,000 to go with 277 minutes left )

Matchstick
19-11-2012, 04:25 PM
So 5 hours to go with $5.68mil so far.

It's going to be tight but much of the US is only just waking up now so maybe that will provide the boost necessary.

(To put it in context - to hit 6mil they need to get more than $1000 per minute - $296,000 to go with 277 minutes left )

Pace has picked up substantially and they now have 116K to go in 156 minutes.

My prediction is they'll make $6 mill somewhere around 90 minutes from now (17.50 BST)

His Master's Voice
19-11-2012, 04:58 PM
55k to go with just over 2 hours on the clock. Unless the site crashes completely right now, it's as good as done.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 05:28 PM
About 90 minutes to go, $6m raised. There are no more stretch goals. Everything has been achieved.

Nice.

DaftPunk
19-11-2012, 05:40 PM
So is this an mmo or .. ?

His Master's Voice
19-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Persistent world with instanced combat I believe.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 05:45 PM
It's an MMO in that there is one giant server and if you elect to be on it (can play SP offline or play on a private server with options for then modding on it) you fly with everyone else, but there are instances for busier areas and player agency is integral to the economy. You could theoretically play the game solo, online in the persistent universe, and at most talk, trade or fight with other people. You can obviously help fly someone's multi-crewed ship, fly in formation with them, explore with them etc.

DaftPunk
19-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice! What about the actual combat,is it going to be more in a sim way,like lets say IL 2 Sturmovik oor Freelancer,which was very arcady.

The JG Man
19-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Chris Roberts was behind Freelancer, so something like that. It's worth taking into mind though that everything has real mass and application of physics to it now, so there will be a real skill requirement; engine power and amount of thrusters will be crucial to what you intend on doing, although some of these things are changeable. It certainly won't be full on sim, but I don't think it'll be as 'very arcady' as FL. It's also perhaps not a great comparison to make, considering we don't yet have futuristic space fights to base our space sims off!

Tikey
19-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm hoping for a starlancer/wing commander feel with a little bit of newtonian physics (not too much, just enough to keep it interesting). Whatever it'll be it seems it's going to be great.
Playable capital ships is a dream of mine and very few games do it. This two years are going to be loooong.

Grizzly
19-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping for a starlancer/wing commander feel with a little bit of newtonian physics (not too much, just enough to keep it interesting). Whatever it'll be it seems it's going to be great.
Didn't Prophecy have that little bit of Newtonian physics (as well as wc 1 and 2?). Loved that.

RakeShark
19-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Lamp loves RPS. And yours truly.

CodeineFiend
19-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I was sick and tired of everyone talking about that lamp by the end of that countdown. I didn't find it very funny last night either.

Fugazi
20-11-2012, 01:38 AM
The lamp shtick did get a little out of hand, but at least it helped pass the time during the horrible site outages and ustream lag issues. I pledged as I miss Elite and space-sims in general. I enjoyed X, but the combat felt clunky to me.

bonkers
20-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Anyone seen that video?
Just wow.

http://vimeo.com/53745615

DaftPunk
20-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I wasn't impressed by that video,sorry :D

SanguineAngel
20-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I think the disconcerting thing about that vid is the 3rd person camera. Obviously it's all very rough anyway but I do think that flight/space sims tend to look silly & arcadey outside the cockpit. Inside the cockpit I bet that would all feel a bit epic.

b0rsuk
20-11-2012, 03:06 PM
With over $6,000,000 for a single game, it can be now said that Kickstarter is fully capable of funding AAA games.

bonkers
20-11-2012, 03:21 PM
If you can make a AAA game with 6 million. Chris Roberts can't as there are a few additional millions by private investors. Normally AAA starts somewhere around 10m.
Maybe you can get enough money for a Call of Duty or something. But those simply don't need to be kickstarted.

The JG Man
20-11-2012, 03:26 PM
I think the disconcerting thing about that vid is the 3rd person camera. Obviously it's all very rough anyway but I do think that flight/space sims tend to look silly & arcadey outside the cockpit. Inside the cockpit I bet that would all feel a bit epic.

I can't remember when or when I saw it, but they were talking about the differences between 3rd and 1st person cameras; 1st will give you more information, being able to see what's in the cock-pit. Ultimately I think it'll come down to preference and I'm glad they support both. First will probably force you to be more spatially aware too.

b0rsuk
20-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Gears of War 1 had a budget of 10m. That's not far away from 6.2m.

Call of Duty doesn't need to be kickstarted, because it's a dumbed down game and traditional publishers like these. But imagine a game with visual polish of COD or GOW with actual depth to it, some innovations and interesting mechanics. Where extra money goes into mod tools and map editors, not DLC. Why not ?

DaftPunk
20-11-2012, 03:29 PM
With over $6,000,000 for a single game, it can be now said that Kickstarter is fully capable of funding AAA games.

Total budget for game will be around 15 million dollars,they just needed 1.5-2 million to show investers that there is interest for game.