PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly's Viking: Battle for Asgard coming to Steam next week

SirKicksalot
11-10-2012, 01:33 AM
With a graphical overhaul. (http://www.pcgamesn.com/totalwar/creative-assembly-s-viking-battle-asgard-coming-steam-next-week)

This was released in March 2008 on consoles. Apparently it's an ultraviolent and repetitive open world hack'n'slash with solid combat. I hope they added more to this out-of-nowhere port than pretty graphics.

biz
11-10-2012, 02:08 AM
o.O ... that really is out of nowhere.

it's a solid game, that could be improved a lot.
still, there really aren't many games that do this style of combat better

DaftPunk
11-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Whats the purpose releasing this so late,remember reading about the game,it got quite medicore scores.

Rauten
11-10-2012, 02:35 AM
This could be... interesting; depends a lot on the pricing and just how much of an overhaul they've done to the game. Mod support could be nice, too.

Fanbuoy
11-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Ooh, will keep an eye on this. I haven't heard much positive about the game, but I'm hoping for it to be at least decent. There are far too few viking themed games available. I can really only think of Lost Vikings and the expansion for Medieval: Total War, but none of those really count. Oh, and Banner Saga, but that's too far away.

I would have preferred if it wasn't as mythology based though. What's wrong with invading England or sailing down the rivers of Russia?

Sketch
11-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Wow, thats awesome. It's not an easy game, but it was fun and literally the worst thing was that in huge battles (and they are HUGE) was that the framerate would just implode. Excited for this.

frightlever
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Ooh, will keep an eye on this. I haven't heard much positive about the game, but I'm hoping for it to be at least decent. There are far too few viking themed games available. I can really only think of Lost Vikings and the expansion for Medieval: Total War, but none of those really count. Oh, and Banner Saga, but that's too far away.

I would have preferred if it wasn't as mythology based though. What's wrong with invading England or sailing down the rivers of Russia?

You know you're on to something there. A game centred around Viking raids and colony expansion would be great.

If you're ever after a Vikings vs Yeti story, William Meikle has you covered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berserker-ebook/dp/B004CRSQSU/

Pure pulp but lots of fun and there's some interesting historical colour about Vikings.

DaftPunk
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM

If you want something like that get Viking mods for Warband (M&B),allot of fun!

squirrel
11-10-2012, 12:47 PM
It's just not nice for publisher to play the time-exclusivity game to such extreme. What the hell is wrong with you, Sega?!

Fanbuoy
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
You know you're on to something there. A game centred around Viking raids and colony expansion would be great.

If you're ever after a Vikings vs Yeti story, William Meikle has you covered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berserker-ebook/dp/B004CRSQSU/

Pure pulp but lots of fun and there's some interesting historical colour about Vikings.

Wow, that... That sounded more awesome than it should.

If you want something like that get Viking mods for Warband (M&B),allot of fun!

I'll look into that. I've been thinking about doing a new run so why not?

Rauten
11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
It's just not nice for publisher to play the time-exclusivity game to such extreme. What the hell is wrong with you, Sega?!

I don't think they're playing time-exclusivity, more like SEGA is becoming more and more aware of the money printing machine that Steam can be and are going to give it a shot with a game of a genre that, AFAIK, has little/no presence in the PC market.

squirrel
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't think they're playing time-exclusivity, more like SEGA is becoming more and more aware of the money printing machine that Steam can be and are going to give it a shot with a game of a genre that, AFAIK, has little/no presence in the PC market.

Then let's ask for the next: Vanquish

Shooop
11-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Why this game of all things? It was an amusing diversion for 10-20 minutes at best and it was received as it. Not something I'd want to use to test the waters of a potential new market.

Scumbag
11-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Then let's ask for the next: Vanquish
I think its less "We want this!" and more "Get what you are given."

Rauten
11-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Why this game of all things? It was an amusing diversion for 10-20 minutes at best and it was received as it. Not something I'd want to use to test the waters of a potential new market.

Steam is hardly a new market for Sega, though, it just seems they're trying to have a greater focus on the platform, I suppose they're happy with the performance of their games, but they already publish a rather huge amount of games on it.

Total War saga.
Football Manager saga.
Alien VS Predator.
Binary Domain.
Alpha Protocol.
Renegade Ops.
Virtua Tennis.
All the Sega Genesis classics.
Sonic Generations/CD/Alll Stars Racing.
Sega Heritage (currently Jet Set Radio, with NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 coming out "some time").

Shooop
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Well that makes this even more baffling. What makes them think there's a market for this particular game on PC? It wasn't very well received on consoles because of the game itself, not technical issues or graphics.

Rauten
11-10-2012, 05:04 PM
It does seem to have a small cult following, and I can't really think off the top of my head of any Dinasty Warrios style of game on the PC.

Shooop
11-10-2012, 05:06 PM
It does seem to have a small cult following, and I can't really think off the top of my head of any Dinasty Warrios style of game on the PC.
I think Dynasty Warriors 5 or 6 got a PC port.

No idea how that turned out. Be shocked if it turned out well.

SirKicksalot
11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Porting something like this is a good test for their new studio.

BwenGun
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Porting something like this is a good test for their new studio.

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. Especially if CA is also planning another jaunt into the Total Warrior "franchise" in the future. This way they get to test the studio, and also see whether the engine used for Viking is worth using for that future title, and if it is they get the basic groundwork for updating and improving it out of the way by enhancing Viking for PC. If it isn't usable then they can still release the game on Steam, make a little money from it whilst still having seen what the new Studio is capable of.

As for the game itself... I may pick it up if it's released at a reasonable price. I haven't played a Dynasty Warrior style game in a long time, but they were always something mildly amusing with which to kill time on a Sunday afternoon.

Sketch
18-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Just released I think 9.99 is the price tag.

Downloading now, will update with thoughts later.

DaftPunk
18-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Just released I think 9.99 is the price tag.

Downloading now, will update with thoughts later.

Don't forget to post some screenies!