PDA

View Full Version : PC Sales Decline news: Will this affect PC gaming?

Madzack
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
After 11 years of growth, sales of PCs -- including notebooks, netbooks and desktops -- are expected to decline. (http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/2986327/pc-sales-expected-to-decline-for-first-time-since-2001#ixzz291PoMKfr)

Wow, that sounds like suck.

With such a news above, will this affect PC gaming?

Davkaus
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Very doubtful.

It's people that are replacing their 10 year old PCs that were exclusively used for Facebook, email and occasional Word document buying a tablet instead.

PC gaming isn't going to suffer by a move away to different form-factors by people that don't play games other than Farmville and the like.

Sparkasaurusmex
11-10-2012, 08:58 PM
It does mean that there is going to be another thing like consoles, that may have a dominant market and shift many developers away from PC. I believe we'll be okay, though. I think some of the best games in a long time just came out and are superior on the PC. Maybe it's not the start of a trend, but hopefully it's enough to make some consolers/phoners drool and buy a gaming PC.

edit- Perhaps it would be a good thing to move the facebook/farmville players to other hardware, so things like farmville don't get confused for PC games by publishers.

You know how games started all getting "RPG elements" a while back? I shudder to think of a day when all games start having "casual facebook elements." I believe some mainstream titles have already been influenced by this genre.

Drake Sigar
11-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Consoles are too far outdated now. When it comes to gaming, next year belongs to the PC.

Inverselaw
11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
What affects PC gaming is the # of households with PC's. The fact that people aren't replacing their computers as often as before is not really a worry. Heck, arguably that means that a larger portion of the computer budget can be given to games.

SirKicksalot
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Damn tablets already ruined my web browsing experience and now they threaten my gaming too?!

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
11-10-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't ever see PC's losing out.
They are still the prime cutting-edge gaming platform, and perhaps will be for a very long time until some new tech such as fully immersive VR gaming rooms become the gaming standard.

PC's offer so much more as well and represent a truly diverse segment of the market.

Internet
11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes it's a bad thing, because we'll see more ports of touchscreen games with controls dumber than console ports. I don't think it's terrible though, PC gaming has been a niche market in games for ten years now, and it's doing pretty well right now.

Also, the technical superiority of a PC doesn't really matter. We're already reaching the limits of what is cost effective to use the power we have already, and artstyle is mattering more than polygons. How many PC games have been cutting edge in the last five years? The true advantage of the PC is its freedom and the fact that you have to develop on one.

Revisor
11-10-2012, 10:33 PM
There are only so many PCs a household needs.
We have 3 in a 2-person household. My brothers, my parents, everyone has at least one at home.

Apart from SSD and deterioration (in my case every 3 years) there are not many reasons to upgrade or buy a new PC.

Also how is a PC defined? Everything on an x86 platform? Only factory formats - notebooks, ultrabooks, HTPCs?
What about PCs built to order? I definitely saw an increase in articles informing on how to build your own PC on console-oriented websites (Kotaku etc.).

Grizzly
12-10-2012, 07:26 AM
PC's ain't dead, they just smell funny.
The reason why PC sales are declining is not because PCs are dead, it is because, aside from gaming, you don't really need to upgrade those things. People who normally upgrade their PCs so that they can run Word faster now say 'aw, it's just an extra luxery anyway, let's spent that money on a good tablet'. Tablets is where the current innovation is. PCs, however, have already matured.

thesisko
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
PC's ain't dead, they just smell funny.
The reason why PC sales are declining is not because PCs are dead, it is because, aside from gaming, you don't really need to upgrade those things. People who normally upgrade their PCs so that they can run Word faster now say 'aw, it's just an extra luxery anyway, let's spent that money on a good tablet'. Tablets is where the current innovation is. PCs, however, have already matured.
Exactly. Hell, I'm a PC gamer through and through (got two gaming rigs, one for the TV/projector and one for the desktop) and during the past 3 years I've bought 3 tablets and only upgraded graphics cards and SSDs for my PCs.

Tei
12-10-2012, 09:22 AM
I think people is going to have tablets and desktop pc's. The tablet will be good to browse stuff and watch videos in the couch, and play simple games like Gunship Zombies, and the desktop will be good to use productivity apps like Gimp or Visual Studio, or to play games like Borderlands 2 or Dishonored. Some people is going to have a tablet and a console, and not a PC with gaming powers, but that will be in the same proportion has now.

Tablets may create more gamers, and from these gamers, a proportion of people is going to ask for more, and this more is only delivered on the PC. On consoles you are limited to satirized safe experiences that a corporation as green-lighted,... I think there will exist always people that want freedom, that want to experience the crazy, that want to fly high and alone and do things others people can't even imagine because his imaginate is naturally limited. So I think things will basically stay the same, more gamers, same proportion of PC gamers.

Feldspar
12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
If you look at mobile phone sales you see a big fall-off when they reached the point where everyone that was going to get a mobile phone had one, so the only sales were replacements. We've probably past the same point for PCs and add in that more PC enthusiasts than ever (okay, no real stats on this, but it seems that way looking at this site) are building their own, then you will see a marked drop in the sale of fully built PCs. However, don't mistake PC sales figures for PC usage figures, I'm sure you'll find that is healthier than ever.

Mohorovicic
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Consoles are too far outdated now. When it comes to gaming, next year belongs to the PC.

You're making it sound like devs will suddenly start making more PC-exclusive games just because the consoles are outdated.

You silly, you.

TechnicalBen
12-10-2012, 11:55 AM
After 11 years of growth, sales of PCs -- including notebooks, netbooks and desktops -- are expected to decline. (http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/2986327/pc-sales-expected-to-decline-for-first-time-since-2001#ixzz291PoMKfr)

Wow, that sounds like suck.

With such a news above, will this affect PC gaming?

Declined sales =/= declined use. ;)
It just means the family of 5 with 3 pcs keeps the 3 pcs for twice as long. They can still be buying AAA games in that time.

DaftPunk
12-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Consoles got outdated already in 2007/8.

Diesel-
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Consoles got outdated already in 2007/8.

consoles were always outdated. lol

Lambchops
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes. it's really the death of PC gaming this time.

BillButNotBen
12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Desktop sales have been declining for years. It's just been laptop / netbook sales that have been rising.

PC Gaming tends to be it's own little niche market though, where people are still buying desktops, building their own, upgrading regularly, etc.. But the wider PC market hasn't been like that for years, if ever.

Personally I like it, because it means my old non-gaming laptop from 5 years back can still play many modern releases, and I don't have to worry about upgrading it. Though I know a lot of PC gamers who've spent a fortune on their rigs feel held back by current consoles - for me it's been great.

I don't think I'll ever be on the cutting edge upgrading PC gamer fringe again. I don't have the disposable income or the free time to keep up with the tech these days. Plus I have to split my "pc money" between a pc, a smartphone, (next purchase) a tablet and possibly a games console. That leaves a lot less for the PC side... and I'm hoping to get another few years out of my old lappy at least. (touch wood).

I'd guess it isn't going to be great for games that sell based on cutting edge tech demo graphics and hardware... but I don't see it as an issue for the kinds of games I like.

I actually feel that this current console-induced hardware plateau has been great for indie games and creativity.

Xercies
12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think it matters my computer from 4 years ago could pretty much run every modern game that came out I only upgraded because of work stuff and it getting slow but if that wasn't the case I don't think I would have gotten a new one until maybe the new consoles came out. So yeah unless Games from PC get declining sales I'm not worried.

Shooop
12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Not in the least. People aren't buying computers for gaming anymore, they're buying them only for web browsing and sometimes to do their taxes on.

That's why tablets are taking off.

bad guy
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
OK..show's over
pack your stuff..we have to leave now

but srsly
I don't mind PC becoming niche. The wave of mainstream pop games has flooded our shit.

Razza353
24-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Personally I always prefer PC gaming but I am stuck with my laptop, but I take it everywhere, I'm attached to it. Between uni, and living between two houses I really couldn't be without a portable PC.

As for things like mobile games, they aren't going to replace anything personally for me. They just can't reach the same enjoyment factor when I play.

Consoles... well I'd love a PS3 but I can't afford it, yet I can afford my $1700 laptop probably because I do everything on it, not just game.

biz
24-10-2012, 05:50 AM
it's not good news

kids will probably grow up playing console games if there isn't a recent PC around in their home

sure, they're playing console games anyways, but there's a greater chance that they'll try a PC game if they actually have one around

people don't buy crysis-ready PCs, but the low-spec ones that are in decline can actually run a lot of games.

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
24-10-2012, 06:58 AM
As for things like mobile games, they aren't going to replace anything personally for me. They just can't reach the same enjoyment factor when I play.

Consoles... well I'd love a PS3 but I can't afford it, yet I can afford my $1700 laptop probably because I do everything on it, not just game.

Agree and agree.

I see mobile games as something to pass the time when I'm sitting waiting for something, or am extremely bored. That little mobile screen never compares to my nice leather office chair and 27" monitor for gaming - no contest.

The PC will always add value based on what you said, because it can do everything! I also don't like the idea of playing on consoles with tech that is many years old, which all consoles will get to in their lifespan.

Jesus_Phish
24-10-2012, 08:31 AM
This comes around every few years and gamers who see it and cry end times forget that the main reason for slumps in PC sales are because businesses around the world are taking longer to upgrade their hardware or are buying into the next "big thing" instead of upgrading current hardware. For example, instead of updating their now ten year old pcs running XP, a small company decides they're going to buy their employees iPads and pay someone to make an app for it that will help their business.

First it was "laptops are killing the PC", next it was "netbooks will see the end of PC", now it's "tablets spell end times for PC".

PC sale slump based on businesses around the world, think about how many PCs your college/place of work owns and how many you own, depending on your situation that could be anywhere from 10:1 to 10,000:1. PC gamers don't make up the majority of PC sales at all.

In short, no, this won't make a blind bit of difference.

Finicky
24-10-2012, 02:08 PM
So... we basically reached the saturation point where nearly everyone in first world and many people in third world have one or more pcs, and the conclusion that 'analysts' get out of this is PC AM DOOMED....

Computers last for years and years these days as well as lower end pcs are powerful enough to do everything browser/streaming/video decoding wise AND multitask.

I'm just going to repeat it: everyone has a pc: computers are DOOMED.

Pro tip : in a few years every twat who wants a tablet is going to have one as well, and they'll slowly become powerful enough to not suck dick anymore either (multiple tabs without running out of memory , responsiveness etc) and then their sales will even out too.
Analysts should probably start shitting their pants as tablets AM DOOMED.

This ENDLESS growth obsession of the financial world is sickening.

Oh did you hear we are in for a worldwide economy crash? Yes it's true, the world economy is only expecting a 2.5 percent growth this year, recession! doom! It's 1928 all over again؟

buemba
24-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Doubt most people replacing their PCs with tablets game on them anyway. Based on their needs, people like my parents could easily throw away their desktop and make do with just an iPad, but they were never part of the market that uses Steam or runs anything other than simple Facebook games and Solitary so it's hardly a loss of consumers.

Hardware is the question mark - It's possible big players like Intel, Nvidia and ATI might start to focus more on low-powered small CPUs and GPUs meant for slim laptops or tablets going forward, but it's not like most developers are still releasing games that require top of the line parts anyway and the most interesting PC stuff nowdays tend to be indie titles that don't rely a whole lot of computing power.

NoodleFighter
25-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Either way it still a crap load of PCs being sold

NoodleFighter
25-10-2012, 03:39 AM
It's amazing how tablets have been on the market for years and no gave a crap about them till one with apple logo showed up

NoodleFighter
25-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Doubt most people replacing their PCs with tablets game on them anyway. Based on their needs, people like my parents could easily throw away their desktop and make do with just an iPad, but they were never part of the market that uses Steam or runs anything other than simple Facebook games and Solitary so it's hardly a loss of consumers.

Hardware is the question mark - It's possible big players like Intel, Nvidia and ATI might start to focus more on low-powered small CPUs and GPUs meant for slim laptops or tablets going forward, but it's not like most developers are still releasing games that require top of the line parts anyway and the most interesting PC stuff nowdays tend to be indie titles that don't rely a whole lot of computing power.

I think you should also mention small form factor gaming PCs, I'm starting to see more slim line mini itx cases being made, and products such as the Alienware X51, Falcon Northwest Tiki, and Digital Storm bolt. They make sense that in these days gaming has become mainstream but have a large console audience, that usually like to play in their living room, infact any device these days that isn't portable is usually marketed towards the living room.
http://www.falcon-nw.com/sites/default/files/tiki-wine-dimensions_3.png
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/digital-storm-bolt.jpg
http://image.alienware.com/images/galleries/gallery-shot_desktops_x51_10.jpg
oh and NFC is working on a full aluminum case for system builders\
http://i.imgur.com/1BOgXl.jpg
It's amazing what kind of specs and power can be crammed into something so small and not melt itself

Finicky
25-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Yes it's a bad thing, because we'll see more ports of touchscreen games with controls dumber than console ports. I don't think it's terrible though, PC gaming has been a niche market in games for ten years now, and it's doing pretty well right now.

Also, the technical superiority of a PC doesn't really matter. We're already reaching the limits of what is cost effective to use the power we have already, and artstyle is mattering more than polygons. How many PC games have been cutting edge in the last five years? The true advantage of the PC is its freedom and the fact that you have to develop on one.

Just to get image quality back out of crapland with deferred rendering engines and their lack of AA support alone it will take another 4x more gpu power cos you have to brute force it.

There's also loads of room left to get more polys onscreen without more work... better view distances etc, less painfully obvious jarring lod scaling.

Then there is the fact that lighting and shadows in games are currently rendered with basically a hack... (and with LOADS of precalculated light sources and shadows added, which makes creating levels a extremely laborious).
The next generations of engines are supposed do away with this and do a more accurate simulation that doesn't require the artist to wait a long time to recalculate the lighting every time he makes a change or manually fiddle with adding invisible light sources to simulate light bouncing... Again something that saves costs and effort (and looks better) but needs significantly much more gpu power.

The world in games right now is mostly a pityfully small bubble around the player where stuff is rendered, with everything outside being culled or drawn at much lower detail. It's still obvious in a lot of games in an uncanny valley kind of way.

@ noodle, it's not that amazing:p we were stuck on the 40nm process for years and years and gpu makers just kept making bigger chips at higher clockspeed in an attempt to squeeze more performance out of it.
This year we got both a newer much smaller (2 generations smaller, we skipped 32nm and went straight to 28) process alongside a brand new architecture.
The new chips are far more efficient than the old ones, and to top it off they are selling the small die, narrow bus width gpus as high end parts atm....

Gtx 780 and hd 89xx are expected to once again be 512mm^2 die beasts with 7 billion transistors (still at 28nm) and they'll once again melt those tiny cases.
Until we get another big efficiency leap that is.