PDA

View Full Version : Dishonored... Assassins Creed + BioShock? Can You Agree? :D

RedRobin
12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
This game is absolutely beautiful and I encourage any one who hasnt played it yet to check it out :D Its a lot of fun.

Here is the trailer
http://youtu.be/A0RheANebik

Heliocentric
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Saw+Pride & Prejudice.

Revisor
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
It's more like Thief + Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I see less similarities with Bioshock and even less with AC.

That said, I agree it's a great game.

Shooop
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Whatever the hell you want to call it, it's great. I haven't even found the first assassination target yet but I feel like I've explored half a lesser game already.

That heart may be the best game item ever conceived of.

Sparkasaurusmex
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't know exactly why, but I also had some Bioshock feelings. I think in the future we will look back at Dishonored as one of these prototypical, landmark games.

somini
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Whatever the hell you want to call it, it's great. I haven't even found the first assassination target yet but I feel like I've explored half a lesser game already.

That heart may be the best game item ever conceived of.
Not to enter in a pissing contest to see who played less of game in more time, but I played the intro mission for four hours and I feel that even if the game ended right there it has some moments that blow some other games out of the water. I'm still at the Hound Pits Club for the first time.
I think the game I immediately though of was Human Revolution with swords. Both games are a throwback to games of the past that feel really fresh in this barren wasteland of innovation, the difference here is that Dishonoured wasn't made by a team of rookies, so it's much better made in general. I loved Human Revolution, but it lacks something. I bet the sequel will be much improved.

Shooop
12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Not to enter in a pissing contest to see who played less of game in more time, but I played the intro mission for four hours and I feel that even if the game ended right there it has some moments that blow some other games out of the water. I'm still at the Hound Pits Club for the first time.
I think the game I immediately though of was Human Revolution with swords. Both games are a throwback to games of the past that feel really fresh in this barren wasteland of innovation, the difference here is that Dishonoured wasn't made by a team of rookies, so it's much better made in general. I loved Human Revolution, but it lacks something. I bet the sequel will be much improved.

For me, the game really got interesting when I got the heart because it tells you so many things about the people and the city. It even told me a guard was suffering terrible headaches and was violent and angry because of them. I can't imagine the sleeper hold I put him in shortly after that will help.

One question though: How do you look through keyholes? I've shoved Corvo's nose right against door handles and there's no option to look before opening.

Hensler
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Bioshock isn't a good game, but it builds a great world. I'd say Dishonored does an even better job of building a new, immersive, but it is actually enjoyable to play, too.

SirKicksalot
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
One question though: How do you look through keyholes? I've shoved Corvo's nose right against door handles and there's no option to look before opening.

Hold F

I don't know exactly why, but I also had some Bioshock feelings.

Perhaps because it's a shitty looking UE game with cartoonish characters and pastel textures.

Diesel-
12-10-2012, 05:56 PM
No because Dishonored is better than both combine by far

Shooop
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Hold F

Perhaps because it's a shitty looking UE game with cartoonish characters and pastel textures.

The characters are actually quite well detailed, especially their faces. The environment textures can be a bit off-putting for some people I understand though. But personally I think it works.

Also, thanks.

Revisor
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM
DexPedition, please do not spam here.

somini
14-10-2012, 10:51 PM
For me, the game really got interesting when I got the heart because it tells you so many things about the people and the city. It even told me a guard was suffering terrible headaches and was violent and angry because of them. I can't imagine the sleeper hold I put him in shortly after that will help.
Oh, the heart is indeed one of the best characters in the game. I wonder if it's actually true what she says. (Please don't spoil)

Mohorovicic
17-10-2012, 11:55 AM
For me, the game really got interesting when I got the heart because it tells you so many things about the people and the city.

Not many, five. Five per mission(entire mission, not level) and five per NPC. Nameless NPCs are grouped together, so all "Survivors" for example will get same text. It can't even be used as a mechanic to get/solve quests, it's nothing but a gimmick. Kind of handheld NPC note/audiolog.

I immediately got Bioshock vibes when I wanted to pick bread and my character automatically shoved it in his face. And of course after finishing the game, since the overall quality is so similar(that is "nice try but no").

xaphoo
21-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing something with this game or if it's just my temperament, but I'm finding it pretty mediocre so far. The gameworld and its details are imaginative, but despite all that, atmosphere is lacking, and gameplay is pretty repetitive and predictable, especially if one's goal is to kill as little as possible. Sure, I can hide in many places and distract and bypass my enemies with a variety of techniques, but the gameplay is lacking in strategic decisions.

I know these games are quite different, but think of DayZ: lying in the grass hiding from someone hunting you, you can practically smell the forest around you. Dishonored smells like the Unreal Engine and lots of spent cash.

Kadayi
22-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Not many, five. Five per mission(entire mission, not level) and five per NPC. Nameless NPCs are grouped together, so all "Survivors" for example will get same text. It can't even be used as a mechanic to get/solve quests, it's nothing but a gimmick. Kind of handheld NPC note/audiolog.

I'd say telling you five things about every location and every named character a fair amount of information tbh. Still someone was being positive about a game and expressing delight at it and we can't have that happening can we Mohorovicic? Why do you play games exactly? You don't actually seem to enjoy them all that much it appears tbh.

As regards Dishonored the vibe to me is very much DX coupled with City 17. I think it's a bit unfortunate that Viktor Antonov's art style is so distinct that it really suffers a bit from the City 17 vibe tbh (the walls blocking off the hounds inn location for instance just smack of combine). I'm enjoying the game overall. I'm trying to stealth it and be as non-lethal as I can which does require some patience I'm finding, as well as a bit of trial and error. Mainly using Blink to get in close and subdue, occasionally using possession and the odd sleep dart. Although I'm not quite done with it yet, I can envisage I'll probably revisit it, though whether I'd necessarily change my approach and go down the lethal route I'm not sure tbh.

Sketch
22-10-2012, 01:29 AM
tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh

;D

Finicky
22-10-2012, 01:33 AM
mgs + noone lives forever

Thank god the game is NOTHING like Assassin's creed or bioshock

Mohorovicic
22-10-2012, 06:20 AM
tbh tbh tbh tbh tbh

;D

At least we know he's being honest.

ChiYeon
22-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Dishonored isn't really bad at all... and i do agree with the assassin's creed part

ado
22-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit + Starcraft: Brood War

You're being chased by the cops all the time and you can blink!

Anyway, the Deus Ex comparisons are pretty legit as both games give you a multitude of options to get through the level and "play it your own way". As for Bioshock and AC I feel like Dishonored is the game that those games want to be when they grow up.

This is an amazing game, probably the best one to come out all year, but I don't think it will be considered "prototypical" as someone put it. Why? Because the prototype for this game is Deus Ex, only that it streamlined all the Deus Ex features in to a way more accessible format. And Dishonored is way more inventive with its level design, adding a great layer of vertical exploration, and the stealth option of gameplay doesn't mean that you have to be looking for those goddamn vents.

It's a superior game but it borrows from many games (and that's fine, wish more games did it actually), including most that you guys mentioned.

Mohorovicic
22-10-2012, 02:56 PM
There was no blink in Brood War.

ado
22-10-2012, 02:58 PM
There was no blink in Brood War.

I wouldn't know, I don't like strategy games and have never played Brood War.

Mohorovicic
22-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Brood War is not a strategy game.

ado
22-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Brood War is not a strategy game.

What kind of a reply is that even? That's just too stupid to even be trolling, haha.

Hanban
22-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Dishonored is just such a treat. The consistency in the art-direction wonderful and I find myself pining for the COATS.

MoLAoS
22-10-2012, 08:45 PM
What kind of a reply is that even? That's just too stupid to even be trolling, haha.

Brood war is a tactical game. Its supposedly about strategy but mostly about micro. Brood war players are so deluded they think that things like keeping each barracks producing but, only with a single unit, mustn't ever have any in the queue, is "macro".

Starcraft Broodwar is a cow clicker in the truest since of the word. "Guys I'm so pro, I can click 400 times a minute and remember 50 different hot keys. Fuck yes!"

Namdrol
22-10-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure if I'm missing something with this game or if it's just my temperament, but I'm finding it pretty mediocre so far. The gameworld and its details are imaginative, but despite all that, atmosphere is lacking, and gameplay is pretty repetitive and predictable, especially if one's goal is to kill as little as possible. Sure, I can hide in many places and distract and bypass my enemies with a variety of techniques, but the gameplay is lacking in strategic decisions.

I know these games are quite different, but think of DayZ: lying in the grass hiding from someone hunting you, you can practically smell the forest around you. Dishonored smells like the Unreal Engine and lots of spent cash.

I'm with you. I found the the actual gameplay boring. Stealth isn't the focus of 95% of the game mechanics and so is incredibly repetitive. And the action part was dull because the game wasn't balanced. Corvo is pretty much a god squashing bugs.

So, yeah the $48 price tag stung and all the love leaves me baffled. But whatever, I hated the Avengers movie so I'm obviously an oddball.

Kadayi
22-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm with you. I found the the actual gameplay boring. Stealth isn't the focus of 95% of the game mechanics and so is incredibly repetitive. And the action part was dull because the game wasn't balanced. Corvo is pretty much a god squashing bugs.

I think the thing is what you need to understand is that there's more than one way to skin a cat in the game, even if that particular cats name is stealth. The runes you have available and how you deploy them all provide you with different options as to how you navigate the space, and how you overcome particular obstacles (even if the net result payoff is always one of choking someone into unconciousness and shoving them into a dumpster/darkened corner). It's not a case of your decisions are exactly the same as my decisions even though we're both playing stealth. You're writing your own narrative, and likely albeit we're heading down the same road, your journey is likely unique from that of most other players. It's been a long time since we've had a game that offered up this degree of flexibility in terms of approach. Relish the moment.

somini
23-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Not that I'm a fan of Achievements, but they provide more ways to play the game, like having no powers except blink, ghosting, etc. As Kadayi said, even in stealth there are at least 3 main ways to play the game: ghosting, kill everyone or choke everyone.

strange headache
23-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Dishonored is such a beautifully crafted game, I just couldn't stop playing. I think I finished it in two days now and I'm totally going to regret the lack of sleep at work. But it was worth it.

Mohorovicic
23-10-2012, 06:33 AM
Brood war is a tactical game. Its supposedly about strategy but mostly about micro. Brood war players are so deluded they think that things like keeping each barracks producing but, only with a single unit, mustn't ever have any in the queue, is "macro".

Starcraft Broodwar is a cow clicker in the truest since of the word. "Guys I'm so pro, I can click 400 times a minute and remember 50 different hot keys. Fuck yes!"

You seem pretty angry. Wanna talk about it?

As Kadayi said, even in stealth there are at least 3 main ways to play the game: ghosting, kill everyone or choke everyone.

Except kill everyone is identical to choke everyone, you just press different button when the prompt appears.

And ghosting bonus doesn't actually require you to not kill anyone; you can still kill everyone on the level and as long as you weren't seen you will get the bonus. Hell, you can even leave the bodies lying on the streets, since bodies found won't cancel your "ghost" either...

Heliocentric
23-10-2012, 09:17 AM
That's not ghosting, I'm not even sure a ghost run can flip light switches or distract guards with noises to draw them off their route (poltergeist?) .

Mohorovicic
23-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I was referring to what the game considers "ghosting". You can make any house rules as you want, obviously, but that's kind of artificial isn't it? Like doing pacifist Dark Souls runs and whatnot.

Gorzan
23-10-2012, 11:24 AM
In that sense, it doesn't really matter what the game expects you to do, but what it allows you to do. So I don't think it's all that artificial.

Makariel
23-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I only started, but from what I've seen so far I get no Assassins Creed-vibe at all and unlike in Bioshock I actually spent more time in the water rather than looking at it through glass. The beginning reminded me on the start of Half Life 2, minus the oppression, with a dose of Deus Ex in the sense of realizing there is more than one way to reach each objective.

@ado: Starcraft 2 has blink.

Namdrol
23-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the thing is what you need to understand is that there's more than one way to skin a cat in the game, even if that particular cats name is stealth. The runes you have available and how you deploy them all provide you with different options as to how you navigate the space, and how you overcome particular obstacles (even if the net result payoff is always one of choking someone into unconciousness and shoving them into a dumpster/darkened corner). It's not a case of your decisions are exactly the same as my decisions even though we're both playing stealth. You're writing your own narrative, and likely albeit we're heading down the same road, your journey is likely unique from that of most other players. It's been a long time since we've had a game that offered up this degree of flexibility in terms of approach. Relish the moment.

I see your point, & I'm really glad you like the game. I'm not trying to ruin anyones fun, really.

Personally, one of the things that I love in games, and the brings me back to them is the gratification of a hard fought victory; of creatively using every tool at my disposal to win. And for that to happen, losing must be a very real potential outcome. Very few single player games are willing to balance their games such that losing is a potential outcome. & imo, Dishonored is worse in this respect than most because even hard is a breeze.

As Xaphoo said, when comparing the tension of, for example, DayZ, Dishonored offers little. But that is true of almost all non-modded single player games, so maybe trashing Dishonored for it is a bit unfair.

I'm really enjoying classic+ironman single player Xcom with the "Anti cheat mod for classic difficult with abduction and terror ufos" experience though. Kudos to Fraxis for putting in a mode that allows players to actually lose the game.

DaftPunk
23-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow i can't believe game is getting so prasied :D I mean devs sure made some great games in past but i didn't believed the game is gonna be this good. Need to try it out :D

somini
23-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Except kill everyone is identical to choke everyone, you just press different button when the prompt appears.

And ghosting bonus doesn't actually require you to not kill anyone; you can still kill everyone on the level and as long as you weren't seen you will get the bonus. Hell, you can even leave the bodies lying on the streets, since bodies found won't cancel your "ghost" either...
Not really, the more bodies you leave the more rats and weepers appear in later levels. And found bodies DO count to your ghosting. The last mission I choked everyone with no kills and still didn't got the ghosting bonus. Not really a bonus, it's just a checkbox saying "You did it"

Kadayi
23-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I see your point, & I'm really glad you like the game. I'm not trying to ruin anyones fun, really.

I don't think it's perfect. I find the AI is a little stiff and personally I'd like to see a bit more activity going on in the environments (even with the plague I'd expwect more activity going on tbh). However many of those issues are shared across other examples of the genre and really come down to the technical limitations of present technology. Personally I'm really looking forward to the next console generation being officially announced and development studios gearing up to leverage the new tech and truly take advantage of Multi-core processing.

Diesel-
23-10-2012, 08:09 PM
No. its because Dishonored is good unlike bioshock and assassins creed. both are mainstream uninspired game and AC is just filler yearly iteration

if anything. DIshonored is inspired by Deus Ex and Thief since harvey smith work on this game.

jquinn914
23-10-2012, 08:14 PM
It's a solid game

somini
23-10-2012, 08:15 PM
No. its because Dishonored is good unlike bioshock and assassins creed. both are mainstream uninspired game and AC is just filler yearly iteration

if anything. DIshonored is inspired by Deus Ex and Thief since harvey smith work on this game.

No. its because Bioshock is good unlike dishonored and assassins creed. both are mainstream uninspired game and AC is just filler yearly iteration

if anything. bioshock is inspired by system shock 2 since ken levine work on this game.

No. its because assassins creed is good unlike dishonored and bioshock. both are mainstream uninspired game and dishonored is just filler

if anything. assassins creed is inspired by sands of time since patrice desilets work on this game.

Oh look, your argument works for all the games you mentioned...