PDA

View Full Version : I need a new game

Tom OBedlam
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
So, Summer is here, I have time to devote to a game again. Problem is, I've no idea what to play. Ideally I'm after something 20 at the maximum and thats will keep me entertained for a while.
These are the sort of games that I like: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197979701086/games?tab=all

I'm not overly fussy for graphics but I don't fancy grappling with a clumsy UI. Any good recommendations?

edit: Though, now I've put my Steam list up, I'm feeling self conscious about my play times on the classic games on there and feel some sort of justification is required....

Pew pew LAZORS!
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Give the Risen demo a try - http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

LeiterJakab
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
If you liked Aquaria, I can really recommend Capsized (-50% right now).

Fumarole
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Why should justification be needed? Based on your list and if you like your games aged like fine wine, I'd suggest Fallout.

ColOfNature
06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Beyond Good and Evil (http://store.steampowered.com/app/15130/). Or Psychonauts (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830/). Or both. They're cheep, and they both deserve to be in any collection. They're my go-to games for anyone who asks for a recommendation.

HaungLi
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
You could give APB:Reloaded (http://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/) a shot - it's F2P, currently in open beta. It has its faults, but if you can look past them, APB has the potential to keep you interested for a long time.

Tom OBedlam
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Risen and Capsized demos downloading. I've a feeling I may bounce off Risen a bit though as I'm a little weary with swords and sorcery at the moment. How traditional is it?

I've got all the Fallout games in my GoG account :)

Edit: I've got Psychonauts on my console toy, though I've heard quite good things about BG&E

Edit2: Looking at BG&E trailer, how does the combat feel? This is my biggest gripe usually in 3rd person action adventurey stuff (e.g. Psychonauts)

icupnimpn2
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
King's Bounty: The Legend. Heck, get em all on Steam for cheaps today

Tom OBedlam
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Got The Legend on GoG too. Along with The Witcher 2, Arcanum and Planescape. And boxed I've have things like: Bloodlines, Civ 4, Deus Ex...

imirk
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
You should get Blood Bowl! Infinite Replayability!

Tom OBedlam
06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Hmm... I'm on FUMBBL, so I'm not wanting to spend 20 on a pretty version really.

Are any of the X-COM clones any good?

TimA
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Frozen Synapse is very good.

Definitely multiplayer focussed, but the SP is very decent from what I've played.

Also, SpaceChem. Bloody brilliant game.

ColOfNature
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Frozen Synapse is very good.

Definitely multiplayer focussed, but the SP is very decent from what I've played.

Also, SpaceChem. Bloody brilliant game.

^^^ What he said.

ZamFear
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Edit2: Looking at BG&E trailer, how does the combat feel? This is my biggest gripe usually in 3rd person action adventurey stuff (e.g. Psychonauts)
It's a very minimalistic system as the focus is more on stealth. Only a few of the meaner baddies require you to do more than simply click on them until they fall over. But it's pretty fluid, in my opinion, and doesn't feel awkward or get in the way.

There is a demo out there somewhere, and the game throws you into a fight immediately, so you can quickly see if it's up to your standards.

ColOfNature
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, the combat in BG&E doesn't require any great skill - it's probably simpler even than Psychonauts'. There's more emphasis on, as ZamFear says, sneaking about. The only annoying combat bits are the occasional vehicular-shootery, and they're brief enough that they didn't detract from my enjoyment for any longer than the few minutes they took to get out of the way.

Wizardry
06-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Do you like RPGs at all?

Tom OBedlam
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Only the style of RPGs i've mentioned. I like narrative and action over open ended stay crunching, petsonally

EndelNurk
07-07-2011, 12:00 AM
I think I can spot a distinct lack of Episode Two there...

Beyond Good and Evil is fantastic. So is Frozen Synapse. Have been glancing through my own list and not sure there's much else exciting that I could recommend. You've only got Civ V on your list, perhaps you might like some other Sid Meier stuff? I'm a big fan of Pirates and Railroads and I know Pirates at least is very cheap. Neither is as serious or as in depth as Civ.

Tom OBedlam
07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I've played nearly all of Meier's canon except Railroads I think. Recently completed my umpteenth Alpha Centurai campaign :)

My super secret: I've never completed HL2 or started Ep1. I know they're supposed to be amazing but I never manage to get into them.

riadsala
07-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Have you tried any of the CivIV mods? They can really breath new life into the old game.

Fall from Heaven 2 is pretty much a whole new game anyway. Sure it uses the Civ engine, but it's huge. With magic and monsters hiding in those dark forests. A bit of a learning curve, but there's a good, short, new player guide out there. Very impressive mod in both scope and execution.

Legends of Revolution is my other fav. Unlike FfH2, it's quite limited in scope, and has been designed to be an "unofficial expansion." There's an empire stability mechanic (civil wars and revolutions, etc), legendary units (like world wonders, but units!), and a couple of other nice features. Includes most the good AI improvements too.

Tom OBedlam
07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I've not actually. LoR sounds like it might be up my street though. Speaking of 4X games, is Elemental playable yet?

riadsala
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I've not actually. LoR sounds like it might be up my street though. Speaking of 4X games, is Elemental playable yet?

Elemental is playable, yes. But I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to play it over CivIV:FfH2, AoW:SM, etc.

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 01:08 PM
For Stragegy titles, you could do a lot worse than look for Dominions 3, unless that's already in your list somewhere. I'm not sure it's still on sale though.

But even for singleplayer, there is a LOT of replay value in that one, and it is vastly better than Elemental. Sadly.

/Edit: Just saw this on the Steam thread, but have you tried Drakensang yet? Especially part 2 is really quite good, although of course very sword & sorcery :)