PDA

View Full Version : Improve Dishonored graphics

Forceflow
13-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi there, RPS chums!

After firing up Dishonored, I was a bit disappointed with the default graphics settings. Somehow the game didn't look as sharp and vibrant as it did in the trailers/screenshots I saw here on RPS.

I found this neat thread on the steam forums: clickie (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964837).
Using a post-process effect injector called SweetFX (similar to other AA injectors like InjectFXAA, ...) and some settings I found here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33066978&postcount=62), I was able to change the in-game color palette to something quite more dramatic. For such a stealthy game, I really wanted the dark to be dark. Just fiddling with the in-game brightness didn't quite do the trick.

Using SweetFX is as easy as extracing the files to a game's directory and changing the settings in a text file. It's toggle-able using the scroll lock key. Performance hit is minimal.

Here is a screenshot comparison. Second screenshot is with SweetFX enabled. It might not be everyone's taste, but I found it different enough to post. Have fun!

(Screenshot is from the beginning of the first real mission, so it shouldn't be too spoiler-y)

Namdrol
13-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll boil the thread down: use Kakkoii's dishonoredengine.ini (set to read only as game bug resets file on relaunch), use jimv2's sweetfx & nvidiainspector settings. Note that steam screenshots occur before postprocessing, so dont use that to evaluate results.

& what is with steam having a community forum accessible from the steam storefront and a separate forum accessible only through a browser?

Hypernetic
13-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I'll boil the thread down: use Kakkoii's dishonoredengine.ini (set to read only as game bug resets file on relaunch), use jimv2's sweetfx & nvidiainspector settings. Note that steam screenshots occur before postprocessing, so dont use that to evaluate results.

& what is with steam having a community forum accessible from the steam storefront and a separate forum accessible only through a browser?

The in-steam one is still in beta technically, so I guess they haven't merged them yet or whatever they plan on doing.

ambing1
14-10-2012, 12:40 AM
I think the PC version is a lot better than the console version. overall, i think the game's graphics is still impressive but then again i really just play so much video games.

Bobtree
14-10-2012, 04:54 AM
The FXAA in Dishonored seems very weak to me. In some games it's fine, and I can see a small difference toggling it on and off in Dishonored, but mostly I see a lot of aliasing on object-highlight edges, stair steps, lamp posts, and so on. It's ugly enough to be distracting, and I haven't found a way to improve it. I didn't try the injectors yet though.

Forceflow
14-10-2012, 05:56 PM
The FXAA in Dishonored seems very weak to me. In some games it's fine, and I can see a small difference toggling it on and off in Dishonored, but mostly I see a lot of aliasing on object-highlight edges, stair steps, lamp posts, and so on. It's ugly enough to be distracting, and I haven't found a way to improve it. I didn't try the injectors yet though.
Using the SMAA injector does fix the pretty weak AA, especially on highlighted objects like doors and stuff.

Namdrol
14-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm quite happy with the Jimv2 and Kokkoli's settings, but I had to change ShadowDepthBias back tot he default of ShadowDepthBias=.012 because of shadow stripping on faces close up.

Namdrol
14-10-2012, 06:21 PM
The in-steam one is still in beta technically, so I guess they haven't merged them yet or whatever they plan on doing.

Makes sense. I just prefer having the forum link open my default browser instead of Steam's stripped down html engine.

Frenetic Pony
14-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Cool! I was definitely somewhat disappointed in the art direction of this game. Then again I'm disappointed in the art direction of most games. I could probably list off the top of my head stuff that I've liked, but at least this can make the attempt to rectify some of this.

Bobtree
15-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I tried SweetFX. The SMAA is a nice improvement, but I still see a lot of stair-stepping and sparkling. Some things like the train tracks behind the Hound's Pit Pub are high frequency geometry that gets undersampled, which post-processing AA can't fix.

I like that the fake HDR in SweetFX cuts down on the washed-out-fog look, but Dishonored's default/recommended brightness is simply too high. With fake HDR at 1.2 and the 2nd brightness symbol not quite visible, it looks somewhat better.

Item!
15-10-2012, 08:30 AM
I have used the Jimv2 and kokkoli settings and was pleased with the result...

The only issue I had was that the game didn't seem to like my SLi setup (microstutters) and once I had applied the sweet FX settings and other tweaks, my solo GTX570 wasn't quite up to maintaining a solid 60FPS at all times.

I got round the issue by:

1) Setting the SLi rendering to "Type 2 alternate frames" in the NVIDIA inspector and
2) Turning on the "Bsmoothframerate" option in the .ini to "True" and then setting the min frame and max frame to 59 and 60 respectively.

This worked a treat and the thing flies smoothly locked at 60fps with VSync on and, if unlocked at around 120FPs.

tomeoftom
15-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Argh, please don't post threads with titles like "Improve Dishonored Graphics" when really all you're doing is changing color, contrast, brightness etc values. "Graphics" implies something like textures, models, or shaders - something to do with the engine. Please title things like this "Change Dishonored' palette" or "Make Dishonored's shadows darker". I know it's like 2 seconds out of my day but it's still kind of annoying because so many people do this and it's kind of a let-down. </rant> But on the subject of Dishonored, does anyone have any idea how the level loading times are so ridiculously fast? What did they do?

Rossi
15-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Basically, it changes the gamma setting. :/

Cooper
15-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Wot tomeoftom said.

"Improve graphics" =!= "slightly shift the colour curve / tone of a game."

duff
15-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Personally I think the vanilla watercolour style is lovely.

Item!
15-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Wot tomeoftom said.

"Improve graphics" =!= "slightly shift the colour curve / tone of a game."

The tweaks above to the .ini and Nspector improve/sharpen the textures at distance (LOD bias etc), improve shadow quality and resolution and drastically improve the in-game AA to all but remove jaggies and shimmering.

The sweet FX does mostly just change the colour (for the better IMHO) but it does also assist in the AA.

The settings i posted should help remove the slight stuttering and/or micro stutter under SLi.

tomeoftom
15-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Personally I think the vanilla watercolour style is lovely.

Exactly! I'm kind of flabbergasted / offended you'd even want to change anything about the game's visual presentation. The thing is overflowing with absolutely gorgeous imagery and architecture. Viktor Antonov is one of the greatest art directors I know - he also did Half Life 2 for chrissake. I mean, Solokov's house is the most amazing game architecture I've ever seen.

Smashbox
15-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I felt the same when when all those Skyrim injector thingies came out. They just upped the contrast and saturation. Subtle is not a dirty word.

Forceflow
15-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Argh, please don't post threads with titles like "Improve Dishonored Graphics" when really all you're doing is changing color, contrast, brightness etc values. "Graphics" implies something like textures, models, or shaders - something to do with the engine. Please title things like this "Change Dishonored' palette" or "Make Dishonored's shadows darker". I know it's like 2 seconds out of my day but it's still kind of annoying because so many people do this and it's kind of a let-down. </rant> But on the subject of Dishonored, does anyone have any idea how the level loading times are so ridiculously fast? What did they do?
I am well aware of these differences, but I thought the overall term "graphics" was better suited for a wider audience.

Also, doing different sorts of anti-aliasing, for me, is part of "graphics".

And yes, I love the watercolor-style as well, but the overall "fog" that was present annoyed me, most certainly at long distances.

tomeoftom
15-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Also, doing different sorts of anti-aliasing, for me, is part of "graphics".

And yes, I love the watercolor-style as well, but the overall "fog" that was present annoyed me, most certainly at long distances.

Oh, ok - fair enough. They're both legitimate.

Forceflow
15-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh, ok - fair enough. They're both legitimate.
I get your point, though.

Although I must stress that none of the tweaks I've seen really mess with the art style, they just make colors stand out more and increase the detail of the textures. In a way, you could argue that they enhance the artistical qualities of the game! :) The quality of your monitor (contrast factor) probably is a huge factor as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure jagged edges on highlighted objects (most notably: doors) aren't there because they were placed from an artistic viewpoint: that's just bad anti-aliasing.

Nullkigan
15-10-2012, 09:19 PM
The colour balance in this game is mixed at best. With the brightness configured per the instructions within the game itself I couldn't even see the tumblers on the safe in the tutorial safecracking exercise, let alone the whiskey rack behind it. It was several awkward minutes before I decided to up the brightness so I could find the 'oh so obvious' code itself. I had originally intended to leave everything quite dark and turn off the hud elements, but after the third time I bungled into a scripted section of a mission without having prepared properly I changed my mind.

For AA, once I set the game to use FXAA I've only ever noticed jagged lines on a few flags set against very bright backdrops. But maybe that's my terrible eyes.

Strangely enough I am having more trouble with telling characters apart, even with a more reasonable level of brightness. Something about the sculpted clay stylisation, I think.

Forceflow
16-10-2012, 12:03 PM
The colour balance in this game is mixed at best. With the brightness configured per the instructions within the game itself I couldn't even see the tumblers on the safe in the tutorial safecracking exercise, let alone the whiskey rack behind it.
Agreed. They should add a "gamma" slider, since that's what's really lacking.

Hoover1979
28-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I hacked the engine.ini file and included txaa for nvidia cards that support it and used Nvidia inspector and moved the exe to the aliens: colonial marines profile and use hardware FXAA plus hardware MLAA 8xcsaa w 8x supersampling. edges are perfect on my gtx760

if others are interested in this enginie ini file please reply to me and I shall upload it to my google drive for download, back up original ini and set new one to read-only. NOTE: this only works for cards that fully support TXAA. the rest can be done with Nvidia Inspector.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
28-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Im sure there is some subreddit who would love to know about this, but I dont know which one.