14-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Its looks like this time its for realz.

http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyXSCd2Lp0&feature=player_embedded

Watch the video, seriously.

nonadventurer
14-10-2012, 04:57 PM
What.

This is the most bizarre pitch video I've ever seen. I can't even decide if it's beautiful or off-putting or both.

xspork
14-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Haha, that was great...C64 forever! and I do want to play this game!

dnf
14-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Wizardry would be proud.

NathanH
14-10-2012, 08:45 PM
That is utterly magical.

DaftPunk
15-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Awesome video.

Wizardry
15-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Finally. This has been supposedly in development for over 15 years now.

Gray Guardian
15-10-2012, 02:59 PM
too much of the screen real estate is taken by adornments. the dungeon view window should be bigger.

Wizardry
15-10-2012, 03:14 PM
too much of the screen real estate is taken by adornments. the dungeon view window should be bigger.
The dungeon view isn't particularly important. It's mainly for navigation.

Gray Guardian
15-10-2012, 03:31 PM
The dungeon view isn't particularly important. It's mainly for navigation.

Navigation is critically important in a game about exploring dungeons, no?

Sparkasaurusmex
15-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Sure but you don't need much more than a compass... or a little window

Gray Guardian
15-10-2012, 04:03 PM
The game having a generally nice retro coloufrul art style, it would just be nice to see more of it, like in Legend of Grimrock.

Sparkasaurusmex
15-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Well I can't disagree, but I think sometimes in games like this it is better to not show so much of the environment to the player, so it can be part of playing the game...imagining the environment. Everything is abstracted in these RPGs and the more you show the more the abstraction between what is meant to be happening and what appears to be happening grows.

Spider Jerusalem
15-10-2012, 04:59 PM
itt: insane, racist dev asks for all his money back.

Berzee
15-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I managed to listen to 2 minutes and 9 seconds before becoming confused and wandering away with furrowed brows. :(

ColOfNature
15-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Is that the Vault Co guy? He's a loon. I will be watching this with great interest.

Wizardry
15-10-2012, 06:14 PM
The game having a generally nice retro coloufrul art style, it would just be nice to see more of it, like in Legend of Grimrock.
Grimrock is far simpler than this game is. That's not a good comparison.

Yes. Pretty much this.

I managed to listen to 2 minutes and 9 seconds before becoming confused and wandering away with furrowed brows. :(
The guy developing this game claims to have been developing the original Wizardry 8 back in the 90s before the project was scrapped by Sir-Tech. Grimoire very much looks like a game in the style of Wizardry 6 and 7.

dnf
15-10-2012, 09:46 PM
You guys are forgetting the important part. "In Grimoire... You can ride in turtles"

tad10
16-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Possibly awesome but not sure if I want to fund... But I am tempted... What's the dev's reputation?

"This is hard to do without getting carpal tunnel syndrome"

Mohorovicic
16-10-2012, 11:17 AM
What's the dev's reputation?

He owns a fully supplied nuclear shelter and has been predicting end of civilization as we know it since 2005.

tad10
16-10-2012, 11:25 AM
He owns a fully supplied nuclear shelter and has been predicting end of civilization as we know it since 2005.

Then Grimoire needs a lot more than 600 hours of gameplay if this is what we're supposed to be playing The Day After.

Heliocentric
16-10-2012, 11:40 AM

He missed the bus, civilization ended ages ago, now we are just a death spiral of consumption and the collapse of ethics.

Spider Jerusalem
16-10-2012, 03:11 PM
What's the dev's reputation?
high priest of the neanderthal ubermensch, hates jews, refers to non-whites as mud people, etc.

Internet
16-10-2012, 07:28 PM
At first the video just seems hyperbolic, then it seems like the person narrating the video is insane, then you think he might have been joking, then it becomes clear that the presentation is the joke a crazy person tells. Then there are 17 minutes left in the video.

Wolfenswan
16-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Possibly awesome but not sure if I want to fund... But I am tempted... What's the dev's reputation?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Vault-Co

lasikbear
16-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I thought Spider Jerusalem was exaggerating and then I went to the Vault-Co website.

Melan
17-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Finally. This has been supposedly in development for over 15 years now.
No kidding. Not long after the first time I got on the Internet, I remember reading an interview with Cleve and being absolutely amazed by the idea. Back then, it was supposed to be released around 1999 or 2000.

I still want this thing to be real so bad, and I don't even play complex, time-consuming RPGs anymore. Goddamnit. :(

Yeah, looks like I'm going to break down and buy it, all reason be damned.

Gray Guardian
17-10-2012, 10:20 PM

'And for backers at the 150$ tier, a special bonus: 1 year supply of beef jerky! Plus, if you donate now you will get this practival Geiger counter as a gift!'.

Stellar Duck
21-10-2012, 01:27 AM
I need someone to tell me if this is real or one of the weirdest Rick Rolls I've ever seen.

I just read through a 30+ page thread on RPG Codex. Is that man real? What is going on? Halp! I'm not drunk enough to understand this.

Spider Jerusalem
21-10-2012, 02:23 AM
it's real. all too real.

Stellar Duck
21-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Part of me wants to refuse to believe that it's not. I really mean that. It would make my life easier to refuse people like that are real.

It's just that the delusions are way too consistent to be discarded easily. I mean, I know it takes all sorts, but actually reading it... hell I don't know. It brings it home in a hard way.

Edit: been reading some more. This *can't* be real. It really can't. Even subtracting 90% of his bullshit as regular trolling, nobody can thing like that. I can't believe that. Please?!

Cooper
21-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Part of me wants to refuse to believe that it's not. I really mean that. It would make my life easier to refuse people like that are real.Then you'd be playing their game...

Stellar Duck
21-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Then you'd be playing their game...

At this point I'm not even sure what game I'd be playing. It's like a David Lynch movie. I don't know what is real.

Gray Guardian
21-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, that thread was interesting... such people are not that uncommon. A case of delusions of grandeur with a dash of paranoia. The sexual-themed obsessions are a tell-tale sign. How he's seen homosexuals and perverts everywhere, who are the cause of his misfortunes. The guy appears to have been involved with Sir-Tech at one point on a failed Wizardry project... he even got a cameo/parody in Jagged Alliance 2. That miner always seemed uncanny... I wonder if there more of such insider jokes in that game.

Battle Programmer Spike
21-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Stellar Duck, do you mind posting a link to that thread? I'm curious now.

Stellar Duck
21-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Stellar Duck, do you mind posting a link to that thread? I'm curious now.

The long ass thread I read was this one: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-did-sir-tech-go-bankrupt.53695/

It was quite mind blowing. Having now sobered up I still have no clue what's real and not.

Battle Programmer Spike
21-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the link :D

internetonsetadd
21-10-2012, 08:57 PM
It takes all kinds...

... of crazy to entertain me on a Sunday afternoon.

SirKicksalot
21-10-2012, 09:56 PM
What if it turns out he's right and we're the fools?

b0rsuk
21-10-2012, 10:01 PM
My opinion:

I DON'T LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS, AND I DON'T MEAN THE SPRITE GRAPHICS. I MEAN THE TINY VIEWPORT, HUGE BUTTONS AND LETTERS FOR NO REASON. OLD GAMES HAD HUGE INTERFACES LARGELY BECAUSE LOW RESOLUTION FONTS REQUIRED A LARGE PORTION OF THE SCREEN TO REMAIN READABLE. NOW THAT RESOLUTION IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE, IMITATING HARDWARE LIMITS IS JUST STUPID. THEY'RE NOT TRYING TO MAKE IT RUN ON 386 WITH VGA GRAPHICS, ARE THEY ? AND DID I MENTION TEXT IN ALL CAPS IS A PAIN IN THE ASS TO READ ?

internetonsetadd
21-10-2012, 10:18 PM
What if it turns out he's right and we're the fools?

Right about what? That dolphins, walruses and seals "are all surviving strains of domesticated breeds from Atlantis"?

SirKicksalot
21-10-2012, 11:28 PM
So that's why dolphins are so smart and want to have sex with our women! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ml5IjwLNe4)

Gray Guardian
22-10-2012, 04:33 AM
My opinion:

You are about to be lectured how true rpg fans will gladly strain their eyes to glimpse the genius of Grimoire.

MoLAoS
22-10-2012, 05:24 AM
You are about to be lectured how true rpg fans will gladly strain their eyes to glimpse the genius of Grimoire.

I am pretty elitist when it comes to games, especially RPGs, but if he is right, I didn't really look, fuck that shit. Having shitty interfaces like that for nostalgia purposes is exactly the kind of ammo that doesn't need to be given to casual/new school/moron "gamers". This must be fixed immediately.

TRUE(tm) gamers! Assssssssssseeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbblllllllee eeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Wizardry
22-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Some people here obviously haven't played a similar kind of RPG before. Wizardry 8's interface was also rather huge with everything expanded, but it also had one of the best interfaces in the genre. The reason? Because 90% of the game takes place inside combat, and combat requires the interface. The more options not hidden behind layers of menus the better, and the faster it is to be able to do different things with different characters.

I'd like to see how you lot would go about improving the interface to first person blobbers without making the game completely insufferable.

I guess, judging by screen shots, Grimoire does have a few pixels to expand into on either side of the viewport, but other than that the interface should stay as big as it is.

dnf
22-10-2012, 03:08 PM
@Wizardry: Will you back Grimoire? He promises a update with a demo in November. Have you played the beta build of Grimoire?

SMiD
22-10-2012, 06:32 PM
So the game itself looks pretty good, but who the hell is this Cleve fellow? Seriously.

TillEulenspiegel
22-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd like to see how you lot would go about improving the interface to first person blobbers without making the game completely insufferable.
Seriously, if you haven't done any GUI design for interface-heavy games, it's probably about a hundred times more work than you think it is to make something non-terrible that looks good and works well.

Aesthetically, except for some of the gaudy borders, the interface is surprisingly tasteful. The maps on parchment are attractive too. The only really awful thing is the bizarrely animated enemies.

MoLAoS
22-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Since I am currently programming games I have a very strong opinion about interfaces. I hate them so much. GUI programming is the worst.

And its definitely hard to make the interface look pretty if you have more than a few options available. I have to work hard to not clog up the screen with information and control panels for instance since there are quite a few actions you can or must take.

Massive pain in the ass.

nonadventurer
25-10-2012, 10:34 AM
So I saw Brian Fargo mention Grimoire on his Twitter yesterday. Crazy.

Meanwhile, this Blakemore person has released an update with an expanded resolution and viewport: http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever?c=activity

I still don't know what to think about this game. It'd definitely be up my alley - if not for the person behind it.

dnf
25-10-2012, 12:51 PM
There will be a demo and beta testing for the 75 pledges. There is a old beta build on the net

DashiDMV
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Looks like a little update is needed since the last post here. The demo looks to be available to everyone and will be out later this month if you take Cleve at his word. Also a new video showing the increased screen size and resolution was put up earlier today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrOsNehxsM

Edit: Video is updated for new Massive Incline edition.

dnf
19-02-2013, 03:03 AM
He finally released the demo, along with another indiegogo campaign. For those interested, here's the link: http://www.filedropper.com/grimdemoinstallerv1_1