PDA

View Full Version : EA: Choose Everything

Ninjafoodstuff
07-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Don't think this has been posted yet, EA responds to why stuff has been pulled from Steam.

http://www.ea.com/news/demar-at-ea-we-believe-in-choice

Personally I think they are confusing "choice" with "contamination"

Malawi Frontier Guard
07-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Efficient communication: Unsolved mystery.

So many paragraphs, so little said.

deano2099
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
While it is annoying I do think it's actually perfectly reasonable.

One should note that Valve don't even sell any of their games on other download services and no-one shouts at them (because Steam is the better client).

Rii
07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
If Valve had anything to say on the matter one imagines they would've said it by now.

icupnimpn2
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
From EA's policy, we get to the heart of the issue?

"However, when a download service forbids publishers from contacting players with patches, new levels, items and other services – it disrupts our ability to provide the ongoing support players expect from us. At present, this is the case with only one download service."

Sounds like one of the DD sites doesn't want EA to constantly harass customers with email marketing campaigns that would probably advertise Origin.

hamster
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Perhaps it's got something to do with subscriptions/addons and how it would be allocated between the parties. Imagine a DLC purchasable immediately in-game that bypasses Steam.

deano2099
07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds like one of the DD sites doesn't want EA to constantly harass customers with email marketing campaigns that would probably advertise Origin.

Nope. EA basically just want to do what Steam does: offer patching and services through Origin. And have that be the only way to do it, like most Steamworks games and all Valve games. It's like when you buy from some other service and activate on Steam. EA want to do that. Sell the game anywhere, but have it activated on Origin for patches/DLC/re-downloading.

I share people's frustration, as Origin will likely be inferior to Steam, and it's handy to have everything in one place. But what they're doing is no worse than what Valve do. In some ways it's better as at least they're offering to let other DD services sell their games, just not handle patching and DLC.

EA have a lot to answer for but I can't get angry at them about this.

SirKicksalot
07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Funny how Steam now acts like D2D and Impulse did a couple of years ago.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
What they're doing is no worse than what Valve does, except for one key point: The moment-to-moment experience of using their services is worse than using Valve's.

Oak
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
And I don't want two Steams.

The JG Man
07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Yeah but as more people use their service, there'll be inclined to improve it. They're a couple of years behind Steam, but hopefully they can play speedy up. Besides, I have Mass Effect 2 on Origin. You only need Origin open to download/install. Just grab a shortcut of the game .exe and you can play it without needing to open Origin.

I fail to see any significant problem here. I really don't mind it.

Lukasz
07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Funny how Steam now acts like D2D and Impulse did a couple of years ago.

Oh? please explain. what they did? how does it compare?

DarkNoghri
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh? please explain. what they did? how does it compare?

I assume he's referring to the bit where for a while they said they weren't going to carry Steamworks games because, well, they were Steamworks games.

Ravenger
07-07-2011, 10:19 PM
The big difference between Origin and Steam for me is that Origin games have limited activations, whilst I can install my Steam library on as many computers as I like without having to worry about activations or revokes.

Smashbox
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Steam has some of the best DRM rules of any digital media retailer – including iTunes, Amazon, etc.