PDA

View Full Version : Dishonored in-game maps?

heretic
15-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Are there maps in-game? It's probably staring at me in the face but I can't find them

Where does this map come from? http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/John_Clavering_Boulevard

It looks nice and in-game looking, surely it must appear somewhere?

If there aren't any maps... is it because there's a paid-for app with the maps you're supposed to get on your phone?

Suppose it's my fault for wanting to play without the objective markers :P I've been doing OK until one of the clues specifically mentioned a place by name but I had no idea if that place was in the current area I was in. Was looking for something similarly vague as the thief maps but maybe I'm hoping for too much...

Henke
15-10-2012, 04:42 PM
When you get off Samuel's boat first you'll walk along the dock, under the big bridge, then take some stairs up to the left. The map should be somehwere near the top of the stairs, IIRC. There are also maps in other locations in the game, though it's easy to miss them when you're sneaking around and paying more attention to guardpatrols and whatnot.

heretic
15-10-2012, 05:44 PM
ah thanks so you mean you can actually view these in-game right? I didn't see a map button so was thinking there weren't any as a way to force people to buy that phone app...

I'll take my tinfoil hat off then

mbthegreat
15-10-2012, 08:34 PM
You have to actually go up the map where it is displayed and look at it there.

heretic
15-10-2012, 09:09 PM
urgh.... couldn't have been hard to do some hand drawn maps like in thief? I suppose the silly objective marker (and the phone app) makes that obsolete but still :( guess I'll draw my own xD

tomeoftom
15-10-2012, 09:12 PM
You could always just have the images open in a browser window, but that's no fun. Funnily enough you can pick up maps in the game which just get absorbed and digested into money, which sucks. Maps of the larger landmass and stuff - interesting lore. Remember the map that came with Morrowind? Hoo boy that was lovely.

Edit: http://images.uesp.net/b/bb/MW-Map-Vvardenfell.jpg

heretic
16-10-2012, 11:15 AM
wow that's an amazing map!

I remember in the days of thief 1 actually hand drawing a map for one of the levels (the catacombs) cos the game only gave you the vaguest of maps and I needed to know how to get the hell out and not bump into a burrick on the way back :P

I suppose they must have had the objective marker earlier on in development than they claim, especially when you have to save Curnow, the objective doesn't tell you to put him in a dumpster just a "safe" location - had to put the objective marker back on to find out what the game actually wanted you to do... changing the object to tell the player to put in a dumpster would have removed the need for the marker (unless I missed a clue somewhere!)

caljohnston
16-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, they lied. The game's obviously supposed to be played with onscreen objective markers. Anything else is an exercise in frustration.

You can't even just turn them off in-game and then peek at the map like I did in Skyrim, because there's no map. Because they wanted to bleed you a bit more with a bloody phone app.

Forceflow
16-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Wait, there's a paid app for the Dishonored maps?

(edit: here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bradygames.dishonored&feature=nav_result)

That's just filthy. It's a good game, but this seriously lowers my enthousiasm for Arkane. Probably a publisher's thing, though.

heretic
16-10-2012, 12:18 PM
That's just filthy. It's a good game, but this seriously lowers my enthousiasm for Arkane. Probably a publisher's thing, though.

Indeed, shame about the maps but I'm really enjoying the game - started it in hard without objective or heart markers (anyway there's a red light lol) but actually anything but really hard is too easy as I want a thief like experience :)

but I doubt it's Arkane's fault though, but if it did come from them then they've got their pricing completely wrong... 3$???? at least make it free for pre-orders!!! lol... tempted to just print out the ones that have been put online, maybe less immersion breaking than alt-tabing all the time

stevenjoywell
16-10-2012, 02:25 PM
yeah, i agree it ,
The game's obviously supposed to be played with onscreen objective markers. Anything else is an exercise in frustration. http://www.okhealthy.com/image/188.jpg

TillEulenspiegel
16-10-2012, 02:53 PM
It looks incredibly dodgy in both the Android and iOS app stores, with few reviews and a seller you probably don't recognize. Until you look up Dorling Kindersley and see they own BradyGames.

So yeah, this is the "official" map app in the same sense as their "official" hint books.

Sparkasaurusmex
16-10-2012, 03:44 PM
"officially licensed"

tomeoftom
16-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I was really annoyed by the Curnow bit. For me, he ran down to the foyer and just stayed there - I couldn't tell whether the men with him were his allies or were there to try arrest him and when I found out you're supposed to dart'n'dump I was just amazed. It'd be nice if you could converse with him.

Forceflow
17-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I was really annoyed by the Curnow bit. For me, he ran down to the foyer and just stayed there - I couldn't tell whether the men with him were his allies or were there to try arrest him and when I found out you're supposed to dart'n'dump I was just amazed. It'd be nice if you could converse with him.
Especially since you just saved his ass.

Kelron
17-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Yes, they lied. The game's obviously supposed to be played with onscreen objective markers. Anything else is an exercise in frustration.

You can't even just turn them off in-game and then peek at the map like I did in Skyrim, because there's no map. Because they wanted to bleed you a bit more with a bloody phone app.

There were 2 points where I needed to turn on objective markers to see where I was meant to go. They were side objectives. The main objectives can all be figured out by looking around. You usually hear or read about locations which are signposted in game. The Curnow thing was the worst but he'll make his own way out if you don't KO him.

Skyrim was far worse in that regard, as many quests neglected to even give you a name or clues as to where to go. Or the location in the dialogue was named differently on the map.

orcane
17-10-2012, 10:42 AM
yeah, i agree it ,
The game's obviously supposed to be played with onscreen objective markers. Anything else is an exercise in frustration.
http://www.okhealthy.com/image/188.jpg
That's not true at all. There is a grand total of one occasion where you can't realistically complete an optional objective/mission without knowing which exact trash container you have to drop a certain unconscious body in. Everything else you can complete by looking around (most rooms and even buildings are conveniently labeled) and/or comparing your notes and objectives to the stationary ingame maps. If you need to find specific items, look harder or use level 2 darkvision.

If exploring and looking for clues is an "exercise in frustration" I'm more disappointed with today's gamers than I thought possible.

caljohnston
17-10-2012, 12:32 PM

You can, if you follow them to the secret room and wait till the overseer pulls out his sword and then kill him. Curnow thanks you and leaves.

Christian
17-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Well, you seem to be one of the people who played it more like a shooter and are complaining that it only took you 4 hours to "complete" the game. By turning on those markers and always trying to rely on a map you're robbing yourself one of the best aspects of the game and are totally missing a great portion of it: exploration.
The only times I turned on the markers was when I didn't have enough time (IRL) but wanted to complete something before I had to quit playing.
Even an in-game map like Far Cry 2 did wouldn't quite fit into this game, the maps aren't *that* large (though expansive), so with a bit of patience it's actually quite easy to find you way around..

To be fair, there's the already mentioned solution to one of the side-missions where you're left alone and need to turn the markers on, but that mission also has at least two other possible solutions which don't depend on dumping something in a specific something.

So there'a actually no map because there's no real need for a map.

Mohorovicic
17-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Well, you seem to be one of the people who played it more like a shooter and are complaining that it only took you 4 hours to "complete" the game. By turning on those markers and always trying to rely on a map you're robbing yourself one of the best aspects of the game and are totally missing a great portion of it: exploration.

What's "best" about exploration in Dishonored? Seeing same five paintings over and over, or reading mostly badly written lore that has little to do with what's happening in the game?

Surely it can't be money or resources, since the game throws so much of both at you. Plus if you try and find every Bone Charm/Rune you'll end up exploring 90% of every map anyway.

JackShandy
17-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Surely it can't be money or resources, since the game throws so much of both at you. Plus if you try and find every Bone Charm/Rune you'll end up exploring 90% of every map anyway.

So once you've explored 90% of the map to find the best resources, the game has thrown so many resources at you that exploration is pointless.

orcane
17-10-2012, 04:58 PM
What's "best" about exploration in Dishonored? Seeing same five paintings over and over, or reading mostly badly written lore that has little to do with what's happening in the game?

Are you for real?

No, don't answer. You know, maybe video games aren't the hobby for you.

heretic
17-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm really enjoying the game without any objective markers, but that Curnow quest is just a bug I would think, the objective could just say to put Curnow in a dumpster if it required to be that specific. Without this clue I was going to carry Curnow all the way outside the Overseer grounds which would make sense to me based on the information provided (a safe location).

Regardless the only time I ever thought I needed a map was because of one of the in-game clues which said Arthur is waiting at the "end of Clavering Blvd" with his life savings. I actually went to where he is early on and saw the Gwen x Darren heart graffitis (lol) but I never registered it as it being Arthur there (dead), as I don't remember picking up life savings (just a bone charm?). I just didn't know which end of Clavering Blvd it was supposed to be :P so was looking for a map in case I'd missed out something.

Maybe I'm just trying to play it too much like Thief xD those hand drawn maps were great :) vague enough you had to look at them for a while before figuring out where you were, not just a substitute for an objective marker.

Shooop
18-10-2012, 05:47 PM

(edit: here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bradygames.dishonored&feature=nav_result)

Why would you even want that? The entire joy of the game is exploring everywhere yourself because you're basically Batman.