PDA

View Full Version : Crusader Kings 2: Legacy of Rome Releasing Today

Bhagan
16-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Should be released today, change log (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?639503-Patch-1.07-Change-Log) have been released on the forums. It's not up yet on Steam and I don't know about gamersgate. I can't wait to try out the retinues and the new Orthodox Church mechanics, and the blinding and castrating!

Labbes
16-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to fire it up again, I don't think I've ever really played in the vicinity of the Byzantine Empire.

NathanH
16-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Neither of the DLCs has particularly interested me yet (still plenty more gaming to be had from the core game before I need expansion) but I might now buy them both just on the grounds that it is at least the third best game ever made.

Cosm
16-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Pretty excited for this, but also kind of worried. I've got a game going now where I control the Russian and Byzantine empires, so I hope the new patch doesn't do anything weird. Ended up having to restart my game after 1.6. Hopefully it will be fine though. Basically half of the map is Orthodox now, so I'd love to see what I can do with the new mechanics.

Bhagan
16-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Steam just started updating CK2. 1.07 is a go

Finish before you update! or duplicate the game files and put them somewhere else as you don't need to run CK2 through steam. Updates tend to do funny things to the savegames

Cosm
16-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Ah, didn't catch it in time. :/ Maybe I can download the old version somewhere and finish it out if the new patch messes it up.

Bhagan
16-10-2012, 04:17 PM
On the official forums Doomdark does say that old saves are semi-compatible, but he suggests starting a new game

MrN
16-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Looks pretty interesting. I'm still waiting for pagan rulers to be a playable option. Many times I look to start a new game and see an area that interests me it winds up having a pagan ruler and the game says, "Haha, no! Try someone else!" =(

In the meantime, I've been trying to make the family line in Connaught the hippest, most happening bunch of earls in all the emerald isles. They may be abandoned, however, if I wind up taking the plunge on all this Byzantium stuff. If I do get it, I may feel obligated to sing, "Istanbul is Constantinople~" every time I fire CKII up, though. :p

Cosm
16-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Looks pretty interesting. I'm still waiting for pagan rulers to be a playable option. Many times I look to start a new game and see an area that interests me it winds up having a pagan ruler and the game says, "Haha, no! Try someone else!" =(

Have you tried any of the Pagan mods? I haven't myself, but some of them look really awesome. You can actually play as a Pagan in vanilla if you can get your heir educated by one really early on, but they aren't really fleshed out.

Edit: They added some more DLC. African portraits finally, hell yeah.

vinraith
16-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Neither of the DLCs has particularly interested me yet (still plenty more gaming to be had from the core game before I need expansion) but I might now buy them both just on the grounds that it is at least the third best game ever made.

It's a Paradox game, never play it without all the available expansions. They invariably include significant improvements to core gameplay and mechanics, in addition to whatever their advertised purpose is.

BenWah
16-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I really love this game!!

The main thing missing before for me was better development of the Orthodox.

Now it's fixed!!!

MrN
17-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Have you tried any of the Pagan mods? I haven't myself, but some of them look really awesome. You can actually play as a Pagan in vanilla if you can get your heir educated by one really early on, but they aren't really fleshed out.

Edit: They added some more DLC. African portraits finally, hell yeah.

I'm going to have to check the mods, then. =)

Fiddled around with the new expansion a bit tonight, and there are beards everywhere. New regions, sovereigns, etc. too, apparently, but beards. So many beards... =O

Xercies
17-10-2012, 11:54 AM
It's a Paradox game, never play it without all the available expansions.

I would actually say Crusader Kings 2 bucks that trend in that the original game is so good and so many hours of enjoyment I've not really needed the expansions yet, i want to get them of course because I love this game but Paradox did good on this game.

Kelron
17-10-2012, 11:59 AM
He's not (necessarily) saying the game is bad without expansions. But expansions will make it better. I played hundreds of hours of EU3 without expansions, but I wouldn't play it without them now.

Unaco
17-10-2012, 12:01 PM
It's a Paradox game, never play it without all the available expansions. They invariably include significant improvements to core gameplay and mechanics, in addition to whatever their advertised purpose is.

Not really in this instance. Appears they've patch in all the improvements to the base game with the 1.07 patch.

I'm currently broke as a joke, and can't afford the time that this would take up if I got it just now... so I'll be waiting til the end of the month. Looks pretty decent, and is a decent price at least.

duff
17-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I kinda wish they would stop making my savegames incompatible, especially when I bought the game on Steam and rolling back is not possible.

mike2R
17-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Actually their new DLC + patch system they brought in with CK2 kind of changes that. Play with all the patches definitely, but the paid-for DLC really isn't needed in the way expansions used to be, since the free patches contain all the important stuff. As long as you don't want to play a Muslim, don't want to have the ruler designer, don't want the extra heraldry, character portraits, music etc. you aren't losing anything by playing the stock (patched up to date) game.

I was sceptical when they announced the change, and never personally minded buying an expansion every year or so to get continuing support for a game I was playing to death, but it does seem to be working out rather well.

mike2R
17-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I kinda wish they would stop making my savegames incompatible, especially when I bought the game on Steam and rolling back is not possible.

I think that is really the nature of the beast. You can't make big changes in this sort of game without at least risking save game incompatibility.

Steam auto-updating and lack of rollback doesn't really work well with Paradox games. You can always back up the game if you know a patch is on the way - the backup will work fine.

Gamersgate is better, although annoyingly they have started hosting patched up to date versions of newer Paradox games rather than the 1.0 version. But as long as you back the game up once, you can always rollback to that point and apply whatever patches you want manually.