PDA

View Full Version : Request: A Bioshock save game

karthink
16-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Some background: I like everything about Bioshock except the gameplay. I like the themes, the little diaries and the architecture. But after four attempts in the past few years all ending at me quitting around Fort Frolic (Sander Cohen's haunt), I can't be arsed to run around doing tasks for Rapture denizens (whom I then end up killing).

So I've never played past Fort Frolic, and have miraculously remained spoiler-free (-ish) about whatever twist everyone brings up when someone says Bioshock, though I figure Atlas is a shady chap.

If you've got it lying around, could any of you upstanding RPS chaps send me a save file from a little before the twist? I'd like to not live in this state of having both played and not played Bioshock anymore.

dnf
16-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Why dont you watch on the intertubes if you hate the gameplay?

Sparkasaurusmex
16-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I can't be arsed to run around doing tasks.

You basically beat this game.

I would kindly upload a savegame but I don't have any on my hard drive right now.

dnf
16-10-2012, 04:07 PM
haha, in order to the twist to work, the gameplay must be bad. Trading a good game over a twist is bad...

Forceflow
16-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I did a search on some torrent websites (not going to link because of forum rules) and I could easily find some.

gundato
16-10-2012, 04:19 PM
You could probably look for a let's play of Bioshock. Problem is finding someone who doesn't talk too much though.

Also, if memory serves, the slog-factor increased exponentially after "the twist", so you might not even have the willpower to play past that.

karthink
16-10-2012, 05:17 PM
You basically beat this game.

haha, in order to the twist to work, the gameplay must be bad. Trading a good game over a twist is bad...

Now I'm just intrigued.

Also, yeah, I found a save collection on a torrent site, but it's 140 MB and I have no way of knowing which save is before the twist.

As for Let's Plays, I can't stand the (usually terrible) commentary. Guess I need to look for one without.

EDIT: I don't hate the gameplay. It's just boring. A slog.

sonson
16-10-2012, 07:02 PM
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495180

Not a save game but an excellent LP where the only narration is written. I'll see if I can find a Fort Frolic save although like most of the rest of the game it's strength is in what you see rather than what you play, save for one potentially terrifying bit

Beard Of Bees
17-10-2012, 11:03 AM
My Bioshock save game folder was junction linked to Dropbox (for ghetto cloud save support yo) and it's still there, though I don't have Bioshock installed any more.

There are about 30 saved games in there, and I guess one might be at the right kind of point for you, though you'd need to do the donkey work of looking through them all to check :/

If this is of interest, PM me your email address and I'll Dropbox share the folder with you (you'll need a free Dropbox account.)

Steph
17-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm replaying it right now and I just got to FF.
Just wait a couple of days and you'll have your save : )

One thing : for this second playthrough I've decided to harvest all of the Little Girls and I honestly don't rembember if at this point you can still choose between the two finales.

c-Row
17-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I thought by now everybody knew that Atlas reveals himself to be a woman and the game turns into a dating sim halfway through.

karthink
17-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Okay, I just finished it, thanks to a save from fiddlesticks.

That was a good twist. It made me reevaluate everything I'd done so far in the game, so yeah.
I (effectively) skipped most of Fort Frolic and all of Hephaestus, so I guess I missed the lead up to the twist, and I'm not surprised I didn't understand it well. Spoilers below:

* I didn't understand why Ryan makes you kill him.
* Who does Tenenbaum refer to as your "Father" in the ending cutscene?
* Did Fontaine lose control of his industries to Ryan at some point?
* Why did Suchong create you?
* Why was there a nuclear weapon in the "bad" ending?
Edit: Ignore the questions. I am an idiot who does not google for obvious stuff.

If this game was shorter and had fewer (or no) hub based fetch quests, I would have probably really enjoyed it. As things stand, I will probably remember it as the only game I've purchased twice, played four times with renewed vigor and burnt out each time before the halfway mark. And for the twist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5vUneNEHQw

Smashbox
17-10-2012, 07:16 PM
It's like reading a book and skipping the middle. I don't understand.

Also people have gone to the trouble of typing these answers out already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock

karthink
17-10-2012, 07:28 PM
It's like reading a book and skipping the middle. I don't understand.

It was that or give up after the first third.

Memph
17-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm replaying it right now and I just got to FF.
Just wait a couple of days and you'll have your save : )

One thing : for this second playthrough I've decided to harvest all of the Little Girls and I honestly don't rembember if at this point you can still choose between the two finales.

Far as I recall, once you kill one you're locked into the 'bad' ending.

I don't get how playing this game isn't enjoyable, with all the hilariously overpowered toys you get to off the splicers with. The guns may feel a bit weak - but they're not really the meat of the combat. I also found splicers one of the most enjoyable enemies to fight in an FPS since, well ever. Their voicing and lines are spot on, ranging from comically deranged to chillingly creepy, not to mention to dishevelled beauty of Rapture. I must have played both games 3 or 4 times each and loved it every time.

Smashbox
17-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I think that the most memorable piece of the game for me was the room (maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of the way thru) that was dark and filled with ankle deep water. You come down a staircase and see a plasmid (or something) lit up in the back corner of the room. There are a couple of those white splicer statues in the corners. After you pick up the item, you turn around and notice another statue, in the perfect spot, that makes you wonder if you'd just not noticed it the first time. You stare, suspicion creeps in, and then ... BLAMMO - you're killing this tricky monster.

frightlever
18-10-2012, 10:22 AM
This is a bit off topic but vaguely relevant. There's a bit in the original Mafia where you have a car chase and have to shoot out the tires of the car you're chasing to catch it. I could never pull it off and it stalled the game for me.

Surely there's a site out there by now hosting game saves that isn't horribly spammy or full of malware. If there isn't shouldn't someone go make one?

OrangyTang
18-10-2012, 11:58 AM

I don't get how playing this game isn't enjoyable, with all the hilariously overpowered toys you get to off the splicers with. The guns may feel a bit weak - but they're not really the meat of the combat. I also found splicers one of the most enjoyable enemies to fight in an FPS since, well ever. Their voicing and lines are spot on, ranging from comically deranged to chillingly creepy, not to mention to dishevelled beauty of Rapture. I must have played both games 3 or 4 times each and loved it every time.

For me, the vita-chambers destroyed any sense of tension or danger, because no-matter what jumps out at you, the worst thing that's going to happen is that you re-spawn 30m down the corridor. Sure, I *could* spend 10 minutes setting an elaborate series of traps for a Big Daddy, only to have it not work because the AI decides to get stuck on a step, or I could shoot it in the face, respawn, repeat a few times and have exactly the same outcome (actually better, because I've wasted less ammo on traps).

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the vita-chambers, but for me it pretty much killed the combat side of the game. I know I could have enforced a rule that if I die I must reload a save, but: 1. That forces me to save every 30 seconds, and saving was slow and broke up the flow of the game and 2. the difficulty is obviously balanced for the player to use the vita chambers - ammo is sparse and the guns are all pretty weak.

I don't consider myself a min-max kind of gamer, but when there's obviously such a flaw in the basic design I find it hard to take a game seriously after that.

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 01:25 PM
2. the difficulty is obviously balanced for the player to use the vita chambers - ammo is sparse and the guns are all pretty weak.

Ammo scarce in Bioshock? Try playing System Shock 2. You'll love it.

fiddlesticks
18-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Bioshock 2 (and I believe the console versions of Bioshock) allow you to disable Vita-Chambers, which adds a lot to the experience. It's still not exactly a hard game, but at least there's now a bigger penalty for failing and you can no longer cheese the Big Daddies.

And I can't say I've ever had any ammunition problems. Rather the opposite, the game showers you with extra ammo and other resources to the point where you lose any feeling of survival horror. The bigger problem though is the weapon imbalance. By the end of the game you're basically using the chemical thrower, the crossbow and, if you bothered to upgrade them, the grenade launcher and the wrench. Everything else just feels too weak. Why bother wasting fifty bullets on a splicer when you can kill him with one incendiary bolt.

Plasmids have a similar problem: Telekinesis trumps everything, Electro Bolt, Incinerate and Winter Blast are good but can be replaced by the chemical thrower and everything else is too situational to be really useful. They were a lot better balanced in the sequel and the same goes for the weapons.

In case you couldn't tell, I really like Bioshock 2.

Berzee
18-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Surely there's a site out there by now hosting game saves that isn't horribly spammy or full of malware. If there isn't shouldn't someone go make one?

This is a great idea.
It would help me finish Alpha Protocol after the unavoidable crash I ran into every time (about a minute after I finished talking to Parker near the endgame, at a particular spot in a random hallway).

Sparkasaurusmex
18-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Hasn't Gamefaqs been doing this since, like, forever?
(perhaps they've stopped?)

edit: yeah I don't see them there. Used to have a tab-- info/faqs/cheats/saves
probably cos of IGN

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:23 PM
This is a bit off topic but vaguely relevant. There's a bit in the original Mafia where you have a car chase and have to shoot out the tires of the car you're chasing to catch it. I could never pull it off and it stalled the game for me.

I know gamefaqs hosts saves for console games (I grabbed a Dead Rising 2 save to unlock Chuck's outfit in Off the Record since I had the former on PC and the latter on PS3). Maybe they do it for PC too?

Steph
18-10-2012, 02:23 PM
In Bioshock (the first) after patch 1.1 you can disable Vita Chambers.

sonson
19-10-2012, 11:58 AM

I enjoyed Bioshock, really enjoyed it at some points-the twist is still one of the more ambitious and creative moments in gaming within the past decade, the plot is very strong for a while, had some great, frantic firefights-but the gameplay and world stood separately after the medical pavilion, really, thus hurting it as a game. The world, aesthetics, creative design and imagination behind it are still pretty much top of the tree in gaming in terms of their ambition and brilliance I would say, but it stands completely aside from the gameplay after the first two acts in that it becomes a shooting gallery.

A fun one, sure, but the level of power you have in your hand just ruins verisimilitude in my experience. In the first level every foe is a challenge and it feels real, come the third level you’ve killed tens of people, probably hundreds by the end. This utterly brilliant world you occupy stops acting on you pretty quickly, and instead just becomes a very pretty and intricate landscape which impacts you very little in which you kill whoever you can. You could literally be anywhere for all the power you have at your disposal. You are bigger than your environment.

The Witcher 2 was the last game I played, and it was an interesting comparison to Bioshock which I played immediately before it, as it is an example of how to pull off ambitious world design and narrative scale and set pieces in gaming without there being a mechanical disconnect. For all your power the world is always bigger than you are irrespective of how many hundreds of enemies you kill. Your context scales with you. It never feels like if you weren’t limited by the narrative that you could go off and kill everyone in the Northern Kingdoms if you fancied it. In Bioshock, I basically went from skulking around corners, oppressed and terrified by the incredible Rapture, to killing its entire population an hour later.

Chordian
19-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I have my own collection of save games here (http://chordian.net/files.htm) - among which you'll find an archive for BioShock, but I guess you don't need that anymore now. At the end of my list there are links to other save game sites.

Beard Of Bees
25-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Bobbins. I didn't check in here for a while as I assumed I'd get an email if anyone PMed me - but this wasn't set up in my profile. I just logged in and checked PMs, then sent off some dropbox shares to people who, on now actually reading the thread, don't need them any more. What a numpty.

Well, I still have my dropbox folder of saves if anyone ever comes across this thread again, AND I've now enabled PM notifications so you might get them quicker than a week...

karthink
25-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Bobbins. I didn't check in here for a while as I assumed I'd get an email if anyone PMed me - but this wasn't set up in my profile. I just logged in and checked PMs, then sent off some dropbox shares to people who, on now actually reading the thread, don't need them any more. What a numpty.

Well, I still have my dropbox folder of saves if anyone ever comes across this thread again, AND I've now enabled PM notifications so you might get them quicker than a week...

BOB: Sorry about that. I was going to PM you that I'd gotten a save but then decided to just say that in the thread instead so no one else would send me any.