PDA

View Full Version : Finding TLOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 2 in a digital store

AlexClockwork
16-10-2012, 09:52 PM
So... I'm reading the books for the first time (currently reading The Return of the King), and I'm looking for LOTR stuff everywhere. A friend told me these games (both the first and the second) where actually pretty nice, so I'm trying to find them in a digital store, but I have no idea of where to get them. Do I have to find a retail version, or is there a digital version for sale anywhere?

Thank you in advance!

gundato
16-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Its just LOTR :p

And I played the original. It was okay, but it was one of the most rock paper scissory games ever. I am probably exagerating, but it felt like one or two spearmen able to take out my entire cavalry army. Not sure if the latter was better

And I think this was an EA game? So check Origin. I vaguely recall seeing some LOTR stuff while I was looking for a 20 dollar game I wanted on Origin this past weekend.

And a tip: The Hobbit is exponentially better than LOTR. Avoid reading The Silmarillion unless you are a GM for a pen and paper game (and even then, just read the wiki pages on it).

vinraith
16-10-2012, 09:55 PM
So... I'm reading the books for the first time (currently reading The Return of the King), and I'm looking for TLOTR stuff everywhere. A friend told me these games (both the first and the second) where actually pretty nice, so I'm trying to find them in a digital store, but I have no idea of where to get them. Do I have to find a retail version, or is there a digital version for sale anywhere?

Thank you in advance!

You're in for a tough time, I'm afraid. This game does not exist on any digital storefront of which I am aware, and is firmly out of print at retail. Copies on Amazon, last I checked, were going for three-digit sums (in US dollars). I think the issue is that EA lost the license, and with it the right to sell the game, so it's nigh impossible to find now. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, it really is a pretty great little RTS.

AlexClockwork
16-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh, well... That's unfortunate... I'll have to find it "somewhere else", then. >.< Thank you for the quick response, though! ^^

P.S.: About The Hobbit, I already read it years ago, but I'm certainly enjoying these more. About The Silmarillion... I'm not sure. It seems interesting, but too dense. I'll think about it once I finish the trilogy. ^^

P.P.S.: If any mod reads this, you can close the thread, thanks!

gundato
16-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I think all the ROTK editions have the little encyclopedia in the back. Give it a read. If you found it interesting, you'l love the Silmarillion.

Also, food for thought: I think the original battle for middle earth may not work with x64 win7. I recall wanting to play that again a year or two back (flawed as crap, but is somewhat fun) and running into huge issues, but it might have been a different source of problems.

AlexClockwork
16-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Hum... My edition doesn't have any encyclopedia, but there was some info on the first one ("about the hobbits", and something more...). Anyway, I'll probably just try to read it and leave it if I don't find it satisfying.

I'm trying to download the second game, but I only found one source and it seems like it'll take forever to download. Fuck. Still, it's something. I'd prefer it if I could just buy it and download it from Steam, though.