PDA

View Full Version : Defender's Quest coming to Steam October 30th!

larsiusprime
16-10-2012, 11:41 PM
EDIT Feb. 20 2013:
I just posted a big lifetime sales-stat report (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php) on Gamasutra.
As PC gamers, I figured some of you might find it interesting how well an indie game can do on Steam, and more importantly, how well they can do on other sales channels, such as GOG, direct sales, Impulse, Desura, etc.

Also, any way I can change the title to something like, "Defender's quest (now w/ full sales stats)" or something?

Hey everybody! Just wanted to publicly announced that Defender's Quest will be coming to Steam on October 30th :)

Here's the full announcement (http://www.fortressofdoors.com/2012/10/steam-launch-date-october-30th.html)

Also, people have long been asking whether we can give out Steam keys to customers who bought the game on our store. I can now say Steam has confirmed this for us, and as long as we have enough keys we'll be doing this! Unfortunately this will not happen for our Kongregate customers because it is not technically feasible, but we are working on a solution for them to get them DRM-free downloadable copies of the game along with the Kong version.

Hope this is relevant to your interests!

Lars Doucet,
Level Up Labs, LLC
Lead Programmer

trjp
16-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Congrats - should be good business for you and more people need to try this game cos it's excellent! :)

ZIGS
17-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Great news, Steam will give it much deserved attention!

larsiusprime
17-10-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm in a good mood today - here's 10 free codes for any RPS readers who somehow don't have the game yet :)

FREE8DXXN
FREE8ECJH
FREE8EWFW
FREE8EWJD
FREE8HHPE
FREE8HHWM
FREE8HTYR
FREE8HZBP
FREE8JEWW
FREE8MDWU

Redeem here: http://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

(Update: All gone!)

And this "purchase" should get you a Steam Key when we're able to roll that out Oct. 30th. If you use one, be sure to mention it in the thread and I'll mark it in italic red.

(I assume this isn't against forum rules or anything, if so my apologies).

Insanity
17-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Wow, thanks very much! I used key "FREE8JEWW". I look forward to giving this a go, I have heard good things.

sacred_flame
17-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Good to hear. Hope you get some much deserved attention form this

Wheelz
17-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Oh god. I still haven't gotten around to playing any more of it since you last posted :(

Maybe over the southern-summer...

In other news: Congratulations on getting on Steam, and I hope you guys do really well; The game really is fantastic.

Avish
17-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Congrats and thanks for the key. (FREE8HHWM)

agentorange
17-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Used key FREE8EWFW, thank you very much!

mnemnoch
17-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the game. I used the code FREE8HZBP

sabrage
17-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Code FREE8HHPE worked for me. Much obliged.

meloncrab
17-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Used FREE8EWJD. You are awesome.

Thermal Ions
17-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Congratulations Lars. Here's hoping it generates a renewed boost to sales.

I enjoyed the game greatly and look forward to seeing Azra's Journal.

pakoito
17-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Congrats guys! Great game and great chance! I'll finish it one of his days, but I cannot decide in the final act

qizarate
17-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I should point out that all of the other keys seem to have been used, to save other people wasting time. Kinda sucks that they didn't bother posting. Thanks for your generosity Larsiusprime :-)

larsiusprime
24-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread again but I have an important question:

We're launching on Steam in just a few days and I might not have time to integrate all the SDK features on day 1, so I need to prioritize. If you can weigh in real quick with what you think is most important:

1) Achievements
2) Cloud Saves
3) Steam Workshop Integration

That way I can focus my efforts in these next few frantic days :P

mammothbaby
24-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Just wanted to pipe up and say that 2) Cloud Saves would be most important to me. Or they will, when I purchase the game on Steam. :)

Avish
24-10-2012, 08:34 AM

We're launching on Steam in just a few days and I might not have time to integrate all the SDK features on day 1, so I need to prioritize. If you can weigh in real quick with what you think is most important:

1) Achievements
2) Cloud Saves

2) --> 3) --> 1)

Good luck on your steam launch!

Oshada
24-10-2012, 08:48 AM
2)
1)
3)

sounds nice.

Winged Nazgul
24-10-2012, 10:17 AM
If you still have save export and import:

1-2-3

If not:

2-1-3

larsiusprime
30-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Okay guys, thanks for the votes! Counting votes from all the various forums/sites I asked, the winner was "achievements." We just implemented this in the windows build (sorry mac users, you'll have to wait about a week while I wrap my head around XCode libraries)

Version 1.0.48 will be the version that launches with Steam, and it's coming out TOMORROW! Tell all your friends!

In addition to 30 achievements, 1.0.48 also features "Azra's Journal" - available in New Game+, and basically adds a lot more story and background material to the game.

Steam keys will be emailed out to previous customers just as soon as I can figure out how :) This might not perfectly coincide with launch, hope you understand.

Thanks for your support! And for any of you who just can't wait, I'll just leave these here. What are they? They're DEFINITELY not early-access Steam keys, that's for sure :)

BFJ3D-ECW2V-XXAD0
HG3IJ-X9YLN-A3ET4
5XXX7-VJ3E0-NLAIK
EVC3X-GLKN3-BW7JZ
3EVX7-5C444-0J7YA

EddyGamerLP
30-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Hey Lars,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your Steam launch. I bought the game a while back in an indie bundle myself and had a lot of fun with it.
So congrats and good luck for tomorow :)

qizarate
30-10-2012, 02:22 AM
I'd just like to say thanks for your generosity Lars. I used one of the keys, and i've just had a quick blast - brilliant stuff. I had to drag myself away. I'll have to gift this to someone at some point to make up for the freebie!

mnemnoch
30-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Good luck on the release tomorrow!

Note: Somebody took all the keys without posting that they did.

larsiusprime
30-10-2012, 03:33 PM
We're live! Sorta.

We're up on
GOG: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/defenders_quest
Impulse: http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W3826
GamersGate: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DQCF/defenders-quest-valley-of-the-forgotten

Steam and Desura should go live soon.

Sparkasaurusmex
30-10-2012, 03:39 PM

1) Achievements
2) Cloud Saves

3 10charact

larsiusprime
30-10-2012, 07:16 PM
It's up on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410

Carra
30-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Congrats! It's an amazing game and I'm glad to see that I will get a steam key.

Wheelz
30-10-2012, 09:01 PM
It's up on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410

Where did you ninja the sub-title from? and does this mean there will be an expansion/follow up? :D

ed: also, the video is brilliant.

larsiusprime
31-10-2012, 02:29 AM
@Wheelz

We are planning on some expansions, but we don't have any firm plans until we see how well the game does. We'll probably do some simple bug-fixes/tweaks, etc, and then after that if the audience is interested, some DLC content. However, we have a rather unconventional philosophy regarding DLC:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20120717/174286/Freeloadable_content__an_alternative_to_paid_DLC.p hp

After that, a sequel is likely if the original game does well. We'll probably call it "Defender's Quest: Miami" and get Garey Busey to do the voice over. (Seriously though, we'll probably do a sequel).

Oshada
31-10-2012, 07:17 AM
So 9% of people have already completed it on NG+ but no one has killed that fucking sheep! Hilarious.

By the way, is there a link or something to get a Steam key if you bought it before? Thanks :)

Thermal Ions
31-10-2012, 10:07 AM
So 9% of people have already completed it on NG+ but no one has killed that fucking sheep! Hilarious.

By the way, is there a link or something to get a Steam key if you bought it before? Thanks :)

Lars posted up above:

Steam keys will be emailed out to previous customers just as soon as I can figure out how :) This might not perfectly coincide with launch, hope you understand.

larsiusprime
31-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I suspect there's a bug with that particular achievement, as some people have gotten 100% completion, and even killed the super DUPER sheep. It seems strange/impossible to achieve some of those without also offing the regular super sheep :)

NathanH
31-10-2012, 05:04 PM
So, team, advise me: I don't like tower defence games, I like RPGs, and I like librarians. Yes or no?

Winged Nazgul
31-10-2012, 05:09 PM
So, team, advise me: I don't like tower defence games, I like RPGs, and I like librarians. Yes or no?

Yes. I'm not too keen on tower defense either and the RPG elements had me hooked.

NathanH
31-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I detect a demo... let's give this a shot.

NathanH
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Well as I said I don't like tower defence games but this one is really top quality.

Giaddon
01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Was there some way for previous purchasers to get a Steam key?

Also, the game is quite good. Definitely try the demo if you are interested.

EddyGamerLP
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Was there some way for previous purchasers to get a Steam key?

They are going to send us Steam key by e-mail, they are just testing the scripts before running them from what I understand.

Rauten
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Dear Lars:

I'd very much like to recover my life, which has apparently been seized by your game. Between the demo and the full game, I've spent 11 of the last 24 hours of my life playing your game.
I'd appreciate if you could do something to prevent the game from completely devouring my soul. Something along the lines of crashes on start up would be very much welcome.

Regards, Rauten.

larsiusprime
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Steam keys are being sent out now, about 500 every hour, so that my server doesn't melt or flag me as a spammer.

New direct customers should get Steam keys immediately.

I foolishly alphabetized the email list, so apologies in advance to the Zoe Zechmanns of the world.

@Rauten:
Sorry about that :) In all seriousness though, I do get kind of worried whenever someone tells me they've been totally sucked into my game.

As a designer I want to make things as compelling as possible, but I have an addictive personality myself so I don't want to go too far. I hope I've installed enough "escape hatches" that there's natural places to pull yourself away, rather than preying on compulsions to keep people playing longer than they naturally would.

For example, I try to auto-save as aggressively as possible so you never feel like you have to keep playing or you'll lose your progress. Sadly, battles are so complicated I can't do saves mid-fight, but I might throw some checkpoints in for long battles in a sequel or something where everything clears away, so it can just save your character's positions, boost/health stats, and battle progress.

Also, we give players accessibility multipliers so they can speed up XP/Scrap gain if they feel like their time is being wasted, though I've found most hard-core types refuse for reasons of honor :)

Anyways, I think you said that mostly in jest, but it is an issue I take seriously and I'm always looking to improve that aspect along with the basic game experience.

larsiusprime
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
UPDATE:

I've heard the key emails are going to people's spam folders on Gmail. Gmail has an adaptive spam filter, so check your spam folder and mark the steam key email as "NOT SPAM." If enough people do this, hopefully it will fix it for everyone else!

Wheelz
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
I had the same issue with my hotmail account. That aside, thank you for the steam key! I shall attempt to complete the game this weekend.

EddyGamerLP
02-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Got my key in the mail; Good news: yahoo mail doesn't think you're spam :D

Thank you

Giaddon
02-11-2012, 02:01 AM
GOG and Steam keys?

LOVE

larsiusprime
02-11-2012, 07:58 PM
@Giaddon:

Enjoy :) Special props to GOG on that one, I didn't think they'd be up for it, but I asked and they said yes!

pakoito
02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I am gifting my GoG key to someone that REALLY wants it.

deano2099
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I am gifting my GoG key to someone that REALLY wants it.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

Mbaya
02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Bought it the moment it popped up on Steam after hearing good things, just finished my first playthrough of the story and really enjoyed it. Enjoyable storyline, rather witty in places with some likable characters and great tower defence gameplay, I like that the harder difficulties mix things up rather than just giving enemies extra health and the boss missions are cleverly handled...the sheeps evil though!

Despite being a lover of tower defence games, I'd have probably waited for a price drop to be honest...but seeing larsiusprime posting here so politely, asking for feedback and even gifting the games to others made me want to dive right in, so well done for being a great guy and making a great game, I look forward to what follows!

doctor_roxo
03-11-2012, 01:43 AM
You can vote for this game to be in the next Bundle in a Box Bundle http://blog.bundle-in-a-box.com/
...it hasn't gotten many votes so go vote for it.

Oshada
03-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Now that I'm all Steamed up I think I might go for a Hero Mode playthrough! Although I barely managed to get all stars with 6 each of the classes (when it was a mere download)...

EddyGamerLP
03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
You can vote for this game to be in the next Bundle in a Box Bundle http://blog.bundle-in-a-box.com/
...it hasn't gotten many votes so go vote for it.

I just voted for it.
it's in 4th place right now :)

doctor_roxo
03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I just voted for it.
it's in 4th place right now :)
it's only 2 votes away from being in 3rd place.

trjp
04-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Good GOD - VOTE FOR GATEWAYS

No, really, it's a game which will make your head explode and the developer was shafted by MS for his XBLIG release so he needs SUPPORT!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/216290/

Same people who did Adventures of Shuggy etc. etc. - it's great...

trjp
04-11-2012, 02:52 AM
Steam keys are being sent out now, about 500 every hour, so that my server doesn't melt or flag me as a spammer.

Just an idea (a bit late) but instead of emailling a tonne of keys - wouldn't it have been easier to let people goto your website, enter their (purchase) email address and get a key sent back

or even just have them email an address from their registered email and reply to it with a key (once only per address, obviously)

Just a thought :)

larsiusprime
04-11-2012, 06:56 AM
@trjp:

That would have been a bit harder to implement. It's pretty straightforward - build a database with a simple php front-end, but ensuring that database is secure so that nobody can break in and steal our list of customer email addresses and steam keys... that's a little harder. So, we decided just to mail out the keys. It's been a bit of a learning experience at any rate.

And I second the vote for Gateways. I first met the developer a long time ago when we were both contestants in the first Dream-Build-Play competition, he makes brilliant games, and he has been consistently screwed over by MS. Get this man some cash!

Oshada
05-11-2012, 06:02 AM
So I've sunk a load of time into the Steam version, but there's kind of a huge discrepancy between the ingame time played and Steam time played (11h 0min ingame compared to 5.8h Steam). I think this is some sort of bug.

Also, were new endings added?

trjp
05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
So I've sunk a load of time into the Steam version, but there's kind of a huge discrepancy between the ingame time played and Steam time played (11h 0min ingame compared to 5.8h Steam). I think this is some sort of bug.

Also, were new endings added?

Steam tracks games from .exe launch to when it THINKS the .exe is terminated. It's not an exact science tho and it will often miss an .exe ending or decide one has ended when it hasn't.

Generally games log less time than Steam (they don't count startup time - they often don't count time spent in menus etc.) but it's not uncommon to see it the other way around either (basically, Steam has stopped recording your time for some reason whilst the game was running).

In other news, GMail still sees the key emails as SPAM but I did my bit :)

sabrage
10-11-2012, 02:05 AM
This game successfully wrenched me away from every important thing I wanted to do today. Please make a sequel.

Rauten
10-11-2012, 02:40 AM
I have managed to recover overall control over my life but still sink an hour or two a day on it because ALL STARS MUST BE MINE.
Best SP tower defense I've ever played, StarCraft be damned.

sabrage
10-11-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm at 83 stars so far, I've only done two bonus levels, and I haven't even scratched New Game+... This game has a disgusting amount of content if you're in to tower defense.

larsiusprime
21-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Sorry if bumping this thread is bad forum etiquette, but I just wanted everyone to know Defender's Quest is 50% off for the Steam Autumn sale and this was the most efficient way to reach the RPS audience without shamelessly posting in the Steam Autumn sale thread :)

Defender's Quest 50% off, $7.49 USD (http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/?snr=1_614_615_autumn2012indie_sts)

larsiusprime
20-02-2013, 05:01 PM
I edited the title and OP to reflect this new information:

We just posted a full sales stat breakdown on Gamasutra!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/defenders_quest_by_the_numbers_.php

Bottom line:
Gross: $286,646
Sales: 40,451

We would never have had the confidence to do this without other developers who have shared their stats in the past, so it's only fair we share our numbers now.

Chief takeaways:

Direct sales are still #2 source of overall revenue
GOG is a viable (albeit small) competitor to Steam
Browser based demo was key to our success
Desura/Impulse were a disappointment

Your results may vary, this is just one data point and there's still no proof that we have any idea what we're doing. Hopefully this information helps someone!

Faldrath
20-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Thank you for sharing this, very interesting information there.

Winged Nazgul
20-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Wish TB would've done a WTF for you. I kept hounding him about it but gave up when it was clear I was being ignored.

larsiusprime
20-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I got through to his business contact once and she said she'd pass it on to him, but I guess he gets so many requests that it just got lost in the shuffle. One day perhaps :)

internetonsetadd
21-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Finally got around to buying this. The thread bump reminded me the Steam Linux sale (and your sale) was almost over. Thanks dev guy.

Giving out Steam keys with direct sales probably helped push them. It was nice to find a GOG key with my order as well.

sabrage
25-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Larius, would you mind posting your changelogs to Steam when you push through 100MB+ updates? I know that Steam's automatic update system isn't your fault but I really wish that devs were more transparent about what we're downloading, exactly. Especially when the patches are "minor" things like bug fixes and infrastructure support.

Faldrath
25-04-2013, 12:20 AM
The updates are being posted to Steam's forums, looks like:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218410/discussions/0/828936719060916593/

Although today's notes don't seem to be up yet.