PDA

View Full Version : Games M.I.A

Bhazor
17-10-2012, 09:41 PM
So the other day I had an urge to replay Silent Hill 3. Not wanting to go rummaging through my dad's shed for my old PS2 I decided to go online for the PC version. Only to find it doesn't exist, at least not in a downloadable form. So this got me thinking, what games that should clearly be available for download (no copyright issues, publishers still in business and holding the rights, works on modern systems) aren't.

So Silent Hill: The Good Ones are an example of games that publishers seem to have just forgotten about. Another example would be some of the recent EA GoG releases like Theme Hospital which was finally released almost a full ten years after Steam.

Other examples off the top of my head.
Freedom Fighters
Crimson Skies
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Sims 1

Anyone know any justification why these just don't get released?

Faldrath
17-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Grim Fandango and System Shock 2 are also on the "never re-released" list. I think the issue usually boils down to people being unable to find out who actually holds the rights to the games.

TillEulenspiegel
17-10-2012, 09:58 PM
GOG has Alpha Centauri, but they're still missing Alien Crossfire.

Anyone know any justification why these just don't get released?Besides legal issues and the slowness of large companies, older Windows games can be tricky to get working on modern systems. There are usually fan patches for popular games, but those are often flawed.

Avish
17-10-2012, 10:04 PM
No one lives forever.
Will buy both games twice if they will appear somewhere.

Smashbox
17-10-2012, 10:07 PM
How about the S.W.A.T. games? Those don't seem available anywhere.

No one lives forever.

Hear, hear!

SirKicksalot
17-10-2012, 10:11 PM
The Battles for Middle-earth
Undying

Gray Guardian
17-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Grim Fandango and System Shock 2 are also on the "never re-released" list. I think the issue usually boils down to people being unable to find out who actually holds the rights to the games.

Nope, GF along with most of the LucasArts adventures were re-released around early 2000s. I have the dvd-boxes in my cupboard.

Smashbox
17-10-2012, 10:20 PM
But never as a download.

SirDavies
17-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Full Throttle

AlexClockwork
17-10-2012, 10:45 PM
The Battles for Middle-earth

Was searching for those lately, but... No way. >.<

Drake Sigar
17-10-2012, 10:46 PM
But never as a download.

I didn't interpret the thread title and OP as being limited to digital distribution. New copies of Full Throttle and SWAT are easily obtainable on Amazon. Grim Fandango and System Shock 2 remain absolute bitches to find.

Xercies
17-10-2012, 10:48 PM
it always annoyed me that a lot of games considered really great by every PC Gamer you can't get because of rights issues, dare i say it this is where pirates are showing how good they actually are by allowing you access to these games.

Bhazor
17-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Grim Fandango is a good example.

I know that fucker ran on Vista and I understand Lucasarts is still getting by so why are they still keeping it in their back pocket? After how they milked the Monkey Island series recently I'm amazed they neglected another cash cow.

@Smashbox
They do have S.W.A.T 3 on GoG. But yeah no S.W.A.T 4 anywhere to be found.

Oak
17-10-2012, 11:03 PM
EA doesn't even sell a boxed version of the original Sims.

SirKicksalot
17-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Was searching for those lately, but... No way. >.<

There's always a way.
First game doesn't like modern operating systems and resolutions but it's still a blast once you make it work.

Danny252
18-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Homeworld Series - my inner strategist cries...

(I don't think any of Relic's back catalogue has appeared?)

Sketch
18-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Any of the Lord of the Rings EA games. Simpsons: Hit and Run ;D
Freelancer
Hitman: Contracts (might be Gamefly now?)
Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb + Infernal Machine
Redline
I got SWAT 4 from D2D, it's listed in my Gamefly account but I don't think I can use it. Maybe just the CD key.
The older C&C games.

Inverselaw
18-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Both mechcommanders, ISO's of both are being distributed openly on mainstream sites but as much as anyone can tell that's not exactly legal.

Tikey
18-10-2012, 02:44 AM
I've looked everywhere for a copy of X-Men Legends 2. I know it's not a classic per se, but it's a great game.
Many of older activision games are nowhere to be found.

agentorange
18-10-2012, 03:53 AM
I've looked everywhere for a copy of X-Men Legends 2. I know it's not a classic per se, but it's a great game.

All the super hero, Marvel, related stuff from Activision is weird. I have Ultimate Alliance 2, and some of the DLC for it is completely unavailable at this point (I really wanted Carnage :( ).

Speaking of digital stuff disappearing, I noticed a while ago that Hostile Waters was removed from GOG without any explanation.

Voon
18-10-2012, 06:05 AM
I quite liked Dune 2 (and 2000). Dunno why nobody wants to make another game of it since Emperor.
Also, Elite needs more love

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Hear, hear!

soldant
18-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Speaking of digital stuff disappearing, I noticed a while ago that Hostile Waters was removed from GOG without any explanation.
It was explained (http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_team_where_is_hostile_waters/page1). In short - the rights are in legal limbo because Interplay sucks. Someone asked about it again in that thread in April this year, and the case was still ongoing. Which sucks, because it's a great game.

riadsala
18-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Homeworld Series - my inner strategist cries...

(I don't think any of Relic's back catalogue has appeared?)

Seconded. After playing Sins of a Solar Empire for hte first time, I remembered how good Homeworld was, and that I never did complete it (I think I made it to the last level but with a crippled fleet). I happily went off to gog.com to buy it, and nope, it wasn't there.

At least Baldur's Gate and friends finally got a digital release :) So there's hope for Homeworld too!

Kaira-
18-10-2012, 10:59 AM
As a response to the question about Silent Hills - Konami has lost the source code of the final builds of the game, and only have the source code for a way older builds of 2 and 3. Which explains a lot about the HD Collection's technical problems.

Danny252
18-10-2012, 11:09 AM
The Age of Empires series is one that just came to mind, as well (3 might be out there, but never seen 1/2)

Similar
18-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Both mechcommanders, ISO's of both are being distributed openly on mainstream sites but as much as anyone can tell that's not exactly legal.
oh. I thought Mechcommander 2 was put up for free by the developer, but I may have misread something. The original site where the free version could be found doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Also, I've been idly wondering if Halo was ever released as a digital download. I haven't found any signs of it.

NathanH
18-10-2012, 11:47 AM
There's the old Warhammer and 40k games: Shadow of the Horned Rat, Dark Omen, Chaos Gate, Final Liberation. I never played the first one and would like to, I struggle to get Dark Omen working on a modern computer, and I lost my copies of the other two :-(

Fanbuoy
18-10-2012, 12:02 PM
The older C&C games.

Origin has a collection with all of them. Myself, I bought a physical copy of the First Decade collection for about 4.

Also, I've been idly wondering if Halo was ever released as a digital download. I haven't found any signs of it.

Xbox Marketplace (for Windows...) has Halo 2, but I can't seem to find the first. A little odd, that.

OrangyTang
18-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Undying
Ye gods that was a good game (well, except for the final boss). Probably my favorite horror game alongside Amnesia.

Scumbag
18-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Has Syndicate Wars ever appeared anywhere? Can imagine its aged badly, but wouldn't mind playing that again at least once.

Sketch
18-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Origin has a collection with all of them. Myself, I bought a physical copy of the First Decade collection for about 4.

Xbox Marketplace (for Windows...) has Halo 2, but I can't seem to find the first. A little odd, that.

Had no idea about that Origin collection, cool. I have the First Decade too, so I'm set.

As for Halo 2, I think it shows up on the marketplace, but I don't think it's actually buyable.

Internet
18-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Ultimate Spiderman in that vein. It was an excellent game written by Bendis, the writer of the comic books.

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:54 PM
How about the S.W.A.T. games? Those don't seem available anywhere.

GoG

Looks like they have 1 (meh), 2 (fun game), and 3 (Pure awesomeness). No 4 though

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/police_quest_swat_1_2
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/swat_3_tactical_game_of_the_year_edition

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Spiderman in that vein. It was an excellent game written by Bendis, the writer of the comic books.

Fun fact, Bendis actually did an arc of the comic that covered the events of the game. Some stuff is changed, but the general flow is still the same (and can be put down to an unreliable narrator).

I think it was shortly after Ultimate Clone Saga but before Ultimatum.

Internet
18-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Fun fact, Bendis actually did an arc of the comic that covered the events of the game. Some stuff is changed, but the general flow is still the same (and can be put down to an unreliable narrator).

I think it was shortly after Ultimate Clone Saga but before Ultimatum.

I was irked when I bought the trade. I get that comic book readers had to be brought up to speed, but I felt like I payed twice for the same story.

SirDavies
18-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Gray Guardian
18-10-2012, 07:56 PM
When I first saw this thread title I thought it was about the gaming world equivalent of recording artist M.I.A. of Kala/Paper Planes fame. That would be quite a visionary designer/developer :)

AlexClockwork
18-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

That one is actually in GOG.com (bought it there).

Velko
18-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Freelancer. Makes me sad really.

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Sacrifice is on Steam but it never goes on a damn sale so that's like it wasn't there right.

gundato
18-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Sacrifice is on Steam but it never goes on a damn sale so that's like it wasn't there right.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice

Revisor
18-10-2012, 09:01 PM
As a response to the question about Silent Hills - Konami has lost the source code of the final builds of the game, and only have the source code for a way older builds of 2 and 3. Which explains a lot about the HD Collection's technical problems.
Wow, seriously? Do you have any source about that?

gundato
18-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow, seriously? Do you have any source about that?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-29-silent-hill-hd-collection-ported-from-unfinished-code

It is actually pretty common for HD re-releases these days to have to reverse engineer stuff.

The Zomboid guys aren't the only people who are bad at backing stuff up,