PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Kannaaashi
18-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Im using a laptop. It's a lil crappy for gaming (cause im just using this for personal stuff).. well, games run smoothly when you tick the right settings.

im still having second thoughts on buying a desktop just for my gaming needs

Is it possible to upgrade a laptop? if it is, in terms of what? or should i REALLY REALLY need to buy a new computer?

Im using HP touchsmart tx2-1250us
2.20 GHz AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-75
4GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

..aand uhm what other specs do you need?

soldant
18-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Is it possible?
Yes. You can generally upgrade the RAM and HDD... and that's about it. GPU/CPU? Nope. Well, some of them you sort of can if it had multiple build types and you can source surplus parts from somewhere and fit them, but it's such a pain and so limited that it isn't worth the effort.

You should get yourself a new desktop. A relatively inexpensive desktop will blow your laptop out of the water for gaming, though I'll disagree that a budget gaming PC is all you need (mid-range is what I'd expect as a minimum for a gaming PC).

bad guy
18-10-2012, 11:23 AM
It depends on what games you (want to) play.
I knew a dude who spent 1500€ on a new gaming laptop, and all he did was play Diablo 2 and Rise of Nations.

Yes, aquire a ~700€ desktop PC if you love PC gaming.
(+/-200€)

Finicky
18-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Not for gaming purposes it isn't...
And unless money isn't an issue: get a desktop, you get WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more value for your money there.

A 600 euro gaming pc (e.g with a hd7870) will easily be 4-5x more powerful than a 600 euro laptop (e.g with a gt650 at that price)

If you are rich there is nothing wrong with getting both a high end laptop and a good desktop of course.