PDA

View Full Version : Best upcoming FPS

Diesel-
18-10-2012, 12:23 PM
What will be the best upcoming FPS??

I go with Metro Last Light

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EtvZsJ6zcQY/TjPBCSXoKGI/AAAAAAAADnw/MC3IwT7-ioA/s1600/Metro-Last-Light-E3-Part-2.jpg

But if Valve New IP is true than it will be best without a doubt. also looks forward to Arma 3. Crysis 3 will depend how good or dumbed down it will be

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Slightly cautious about Last Light because of all the nazis. If they'll be the main point of the game I'll be disappointed.

Crysis 3 looks just like Crysis 2 gameplay-wise, so whatever.

DaftPunk
18-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Out of those i say Arma 3.

Scumbag
18-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Nothing what-so-ever. I don't anticipate any games where I can, mainly to save myself any disappointment due to silly hype.

agentorange
18-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Halo 4. Wish it were coming to PC.

Rauten
18-10-2012, 01:31 PM
DayZ stand alone.

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Nothing what-so-ever. I don't anticipate any games where I can, mainly to save myself any disappointment due to silly hype.

Just because you anticipate something doesn't mean you must be hyped for it.

coldvvvave
18-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Where is BLOPS2?

Kadayi
18-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Bioshock infinite?

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah, it seems kind of ridiculous that you actually skip the FPSes people are most looking forward to...

Of those, the game I most look forward to is ArmA 3. But I wouldn't call that an FPS anymore than I would call MechWarrior 4 an FPS.

Flint
18-10-2012, 02:05 PM
In terms of personal interest... out of those options, HL3. But on a more realistic note, probably the Rise of the Triads remake. Although that's less of a "yay can't wait!!" and more of a "well, it's the only one that seems marginally interesting".

Kadayi
18-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Indeed. I voted Arma 3, but it's a mil sim rather than a conventional FPS tbh.

Diesel-
18-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Where is BLOPS2?

Thread is about best FPS. and i dont think anyone here care about this mainstream crap to waste a space.

and i forgot to put bioshock infinite. even thought i cant stand the look of it.

DaftPunk
18-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Thread is about best FPS. and i dont think anyone here care about this mainstream crap to waste a space.

and i forgot to put bioshock infinite. even thought i cant stand the look of it.

So whats the purpose of the thread if you only selected games you think are going to be ok.. jesus men,think next time.

NathanH
18-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Thief 4 or TES 6, whichever comes first.

kataras
18-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I would say STALKER 2 or STALKER Lost Alpha or STALKERSOUP.
Then Last Light and Arma3.
I m not expecting anything from Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3. Crysis 2 looked amazing but was so boring.

edit: I am curious about Thief 4.

Diesel-
18-10-2012, 02:24 PM
So whats the purpose of the thread if you only selected games you think are going to be ok.. jesus men,think next time.

Actually i forgot to put bioshock. and i want to edit a poll but i cant...

and for black ops 2. who here is going to vote it?

DaftPunk
18-10-2012, 02:26 PM

I vould vote it for TEH LOLZ!! :p haha

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:26 PM

I imagine more than a few people, assuming you can stop bashing them for having a different opinion. I prefer the Crysis 2 gameplay, but BLOPS 2 is taking tried-and-true gameplay and advancing the "technology" from modern to near-future, and I vaguely recall there being a video of cyborg-horses or something. And it is the sequel to the CoD game with the most interesting story in the history of CoD...

It actually has the potential to be pretty good. Put your prejudices away for a moment and actually look at the game.

Sketch
18-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Me too. Although very much looking forward to Arma 3 and sort of anticipating Crysis 3.

Diesel-
18-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I imagine more than a few people, assuming you can stop bashing them for having a different opinion. I prefer the Crysis 2 gameplay, but BLOPS 2 is taking tried-and-true gameplay and advancing the "technology" from modern to near-future, and I vaguely recall there being a video of cyborg-horses or something. And it is the sequel to the CoD game with the most interesting story in the history of CoD...

It actually has the potential to be pretty good. Put your prejudices away for a moment and actually look at the game.

Its marketing. trying to make customers fool into buying it. there is nothing change in BLOPS 2. they are marketing as "sandbox game" lol. where is sandbox gameplay? all i see is same linear gameplay.

then corrupt mainstream media will praise it like best thing ever since slice bread. depend on how much money activision will pay

db1331
18-10-2012, 02:32 PM

LOL, good one. I'd say BioShock as well.

gundato
18-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Its marketing. trying to make customers fool into buying it. there is nothing change in BLOPS 2. they are marketing as "sandbox game" lol. where is sandbox gameplay? all i see is same linear gameplay.

then corrupt mainstream media will praise it like best thing ever since slice bread. depend on how much money activision will pay
Metro 2033 was one of the most linear shooters in recent memory...

And fine, you are pissed at the "corrupt mainstream media" for telling people what to believe. Why are YOU doing the same? Let people make their own decisions, no matter how stupid.

Internet
18-10-2012, 02:40 PM
X-com if it's still under production.

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 02:40 PM
LOL, good one.

I, for one, would like to see Halo 4 on the PC. The first game sort of exploded into Bungie's face and they clearly didn't know how to handle the popularity, the universe and the sequels, but if Halo 4 is going to be done by a different studio and clearly states it's a "new trilogy" then who knows?

Internet
18-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Metro 2033 was one of the most linear shooters in recent memory...

And fine, you are pissed at the "corrupt mainstream media" for telling people what to believe. Why are YOU doing the same? Let people make their own decisions, no matter how stupid.

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with linear gameplay as long as the levels are well-designed. Metro was a great game and a pretty linear game too.

Finicky
18-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Neither NS2 or planetside 2 are in your list at all...
Reminds me of those gametrailers awards things where they ignore anything that isn't super marketed and mainstream, usually with one game as exception for 'indie cred' that then obviously won't win.

Next up from diesel: 10 reasons why halo is better than quake.

DaftPunk
18-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Reminds me of those gametrailers awards things where they ignore anything that isn't super marketed and mainstream, usually with one game as exception for 'indie cred' that then obviously won't win.

Diesel came from GameTrailers forums xD haha

gundato
18-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with linear gameplay as long as the levels are well-designed. Metro was a great game and a pretty linear game too.

Exactly.

And as much as it pisses me off, the trend in modern military manshoots of "Wait here while we open the door/do the cool stuff" isn't even that bad. It is just another way to handle the magic barriers or path-opening cutscenes/triggers of older games. We didn't bitch that the wall wouldn't lower until we killed all the goats in DOOM. It is just that it is really annoying to have to wait for the guy with the beard or the mustache to come kick down a door for me.

It is all a matter of execution. There are no inherently bad tropes in game design*. It is all about how you implement them.

*: Yes, even QTEs. Go play the boss battles of God of War 3 or just about every QTE in Infamous 2. That is how you use QTEs to improve immersion.

BathroomCitizen
18-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Would have voted HL3/new ip, if only there was something to talk about.

Arma 3 gets my vote.

Sketch
18-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Exactly.
We didn't bitch that the wall wouldn't lower until we killed all the goats in DOOM

No we didn't but that was 19 years ago.

SanguineAngel
18-10-2012, 03:14 PM

I just got an email for the HMV Golden Joystick awards for 2012. Took a brief gander and no sign of either XCOM (not so surprising) or Dishonored - which has to be one of the most hyped games this year surely? That both are lacking is very disappointing to me. Even though I know that these awards always exclude so many relevant games as to render themselves totally meaningless (by the way, are you able to edit your poll, Diesel?), it still annoys me.

Diesel-

>Gametrailers awards

Muahhahahahahhaahaha

I watch their reviews just for some good comedy.

And like i said i forgot some games. and i cant even edit....

and are you talking about me?? knowing I am one of the most anti-mainstream gamer out there. and hate majority of things that are popular...

and btw i hate both Halo and quake.

gundato
No we didn't but that was 19 years ago.

Fine.

We don't bitch when Claptrap won't advance until we kill the bullymongs or a button can't be activated until we blow up a bunch of robots and bandits.

Serious Sam 3 :p

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 03:15 PM
And as much as it pisses me off, the trend in modern military manshoots of "Wait here while we open the door/do the cool stuff" isn't even that bad.

Oh noes, I have to wait 5 seconds while a guy cranks open the door for me? I'm not the center of the universe anymore?

Inconceivable!

You know in a way it's funny how the "Ramirez do everything" meme and people complaining about having to watch "NPCs doing cool stuff" can both exist at the same time. Sometimes it's even same people.

SanguineAngel
18-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Oh noes, I have to wait 5 seconds while a guy cranks open the door for me? I'm not the center of the universe anymore?

Inconceivable!

You know in a way it's funny how the "Ramirez do everything" meme and people complaining about having to watch "NPCs doing cool stuff" can both exist at the same time. Sometimes it's even same people.

You are right! If only there was some crazy dimension out there where two extremes could sort of meet in - and just bear with me hear, I'm spit-ballin - meet somewhere in the middle. Like, some sort of third way which isn't as shit as the two extreme ways of doing things?

Crazy ideas.

Diesel-
18-10-2012, 03:27 PM
is there any way to edit a poll?

Patrick Swayze
18-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Might as well just have a poll that reads: DO YOU HATE FUN?

YES

NO

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 03:45 PM

YES

NO

y-

Wait are you trying to trick me again?

NathanH
18-10-2012, 03:45 PM
You'd need an option for "only hardcore fun".

Kaira-
18-10-2012, 03:47 PM

YES

NO

Too many options, I suggest we get rid of "NO".

Danny252
18-10-2012, 03:52 PM

YES

NO

What a mainstream set of answers! Have you been taking in all those things the corrupt games media have been feeding you?

Herzog
18-10-2012, 04:26 PM
As there isnt an option to vote for Reborn, I am going with Metro: Last Light. Enjoyed Metro 2033 a lot!

db1331
18-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I hated fun before it was cool.

Shooop
18-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Nothing yet. Because we don't know anything important about ARMA 3 or Metro yet, Far Cry and Crysis are already looking awful, and Valve probably hasn't even started working on another FPS.

agentorange
19-10-2012, 07:34 AM
http://youtu.be/Z4NLJpTXOtU

Looks like a total blast. I'm really not sure what your criticism is...Oh right, it's not a heavily scripted, linear game that takes place almost entirely in underground corridors - the pinnacle of PC FPS gaming, right?

Sketch
19-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Woops totally read your post wrong.

RXGX
19-10-2012, 08:03 AM
I want to know that the game can be installed as soon as possible on the PC.

Mohorovicic
19-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Looks like a total blast. I'm really not sure what your criticism is...Oh right, it's not a heavily scripted, linear game that takes place almost entirely in underground corridors - the pinnacle of PC FPS gaming, right?

What PC FPSes are there that are heavily scripted, linear and take place almost entirely in underground corridors?

DaftPunk
19-10-2012, 08:16 AM
http://youtu.be/Z4NLJpTXOtU

Buzz off with freaking HALO,this is pc focused site so don't post this shit around here.

biz
19-10-2012, 08:32 AM
probably Wrack (wrackgame.com). Heavily influenced by Doom, which is a good thing

For this year, probably Far Cry 3

Carnevil
19-10-2012, 08:48 AM
probably Wrack (http://wrackgame.com). Heavily influenced by Doom, which is a good thing

For this year, probably Far Cry 3

<3

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it (which is probably all of you), here's the trailer for it:

http://youtu.be/efxKjaSVYVM

It's also on YE OLDE STEAM GREENLIGHT (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95521749).

Diesel-
19-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Halo 4 is basically Halo 1 with HD graphics. same doom guy shooting pokemon with water gun. Very uninspired

LeMonde
19-10-2012, 09:08 AM
A Pokemon FPS - something on the scale of PS2.

Wow.

I'd preorder a Wii U INSTANTLY.

Patrick Swayze
19-10-2012, 10:05 AM
What PC FPSes are there that are heavily scripted, linear and take place almost entirely in underground corridors?

Half-life 2....

Grizzly
19-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Half-life 2....

Close! Half LIfe 2 has some above ground stuff as well. I'd say Half LIfe 1 and Metro 2033 (the OPs favorite game, which is why everyone is subtly referring to it). Then there is Doom, then there is...

Wait, I think you are playing along with the joke and I am subtly missing it.

Mohorovicic
19-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Half Life 2 is mostly above ground.

Metro 2033 is, of course, not a PC FPS. Doom is not heavily scripted.

Grizzly
19-10-2012, 10:17 AM

The idea behind the "Sandbox campaign" is that you can do several missions in any order, and your succes or failure affects the other missions in the campaign (so it's quite non linear) - It's a bit like Wing Commander, except less linear. Or Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight.

Metro 2033 is, of course, not a PC FPS.
Ehrm, it is out on PC. That makes it a PC FPS - Unless we are referring to PC Exclusive FPS, but nobody has thus far.

Doom is not heavily scripted.

It would be if they had the budget for it :P.

Diesel-
19-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Metro 2033 is primilary build with PC in mind that alone make it PC focus game. just like Half life.

Grizzly
19-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Metro 2033 is primilary build with PC in mind that alone make it PC focus game. just like Half life.

The thing is, what I don't get is that you appear to dislike CoD like a ... Ranger dislikes a dark one, but enormously enjoy Metro 2033, which is a CoD clone.

Finicky
19-10-2012, 10:37 AM
You are right! If only there was some crazy dimension out there where two extremes could sort of meet in - and just bear with me hear, I'm spit-ballin - meet somewhere in the middle. Like, some sort of third way which isn't as shit as the two extreme ways of doing things?

Crazy ideas.
Inconceivable!

Mohorovicic
19-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Ehrm, it is out on PC. That makes it a PC FPS - Unless we are referring to PC Exclusive FPS, but nobody has thus far.

When you design a car that should drive both offroad and on motorways, you don't do it by first designing a sports car and then re-engineering everything so it's driveable offroad. Your basic frame of work is always equal to your biggest limitation, so any multiplatform game will always be, at its core, a console game, because that's the biggest limitation.

Aaaaaanyway, there is no Far Cry 3 thread it seems and there's a new dev commentary out (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/19/now-with-more-jumping-puzzles-14-minutes-of-far-cry-3/) and... I like it. I like it a lot. Taking ground straight from Clear Sky, which will also eliminate one of the Far Cry 2's biggest drawbacks(constantly respawning enemies everywhere who never give up chasing you ever) and... hunting? Crafting? XP? Hot damn. It's like Skyrim with guns. That has potential. I just hope the options menu will be as extensive as the one in Dishonored.

On a side note, that was one of the best dev commentaries I've seen. No PR or script reading nonsense, just two guys talking about game one of them is playing in a casual fashion occassionally cracking a joke or two.

Drake Sigar
19-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm really looking forward to ARMA 3, but assume it's not going to be playable for at least 6 months after release.

Diesel-
19-10-2012, 10:48 AM
The thing is, what I don't get is that you appear to dislike CoD like a ... Ranger dislikes a dark one, but enormously enjoy Metro 2033, which is a CoD clone.

Metro feel nothing like COD. its dark and atmospheric. beside linearity there is no similarity. hack there is no MP. its basically linear Stalker

and also Far cry 3 looks like poor mans Crysis without nanosuit with arrow showing where enemies are....

Gorzan
19-10-2012, 10:57 AM
COD might not do that many things right nowadays, but they still know how to make an spectacular campaing, so I'd say COD is still atmospheric.
Of course that doesn't mean the MP is not shitty, and a 6 hours campaign isn't worth 50, but on the single-player side of things they are more similar than you acknowledge.

Grizzly
19-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Metro feel nothing like COD. its dark and atmospheric. beside linearity there is no similarity. hack there is no MP. its basically linear Stalker

Ehrm.
It has the same shooting mechanics (Hitscan weapons with ADS).
It also has the same inventory system.
It has the same level design. They are both heavily scripted shooters, with scripted events and all.

So it basically has the same gameplay and the same level design - it's just the package that is different. Same girl, different make up.

Sketch
19-10-2012, 11:08 AM
A linear STALKER is half the fun gone, there's more to Metro than that. I'm looking forward to it, but as others have said its not all that different from CoD in what the game actually does for the player. It does nothing for the genre, but that's actually ok. It can still be good.

b0rsuk
19-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Natural Selection 2. The game actually does something differently. I have no incentive to play any of the other.

SirDavies
19-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I'll go with Bioshock Infinite. Not really exited about shooters nowadays.

ado
19-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hawken. Apart from HL3/SOB/"whatever the fuck Valve is up to which is anyway a long way off" none of the rest of those games has me nearly as excited as Hawken.

Also Thief 4 and Bioshock Infinite (although the latest rumors around that one have me slightly concerned).