PDA

View Full Version : GoG Adds Mac Support

gundato
18-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, pretty much everyone and their mother have already spoiled GoG's announcement that is due in about 45 minutes or so.

GoG is adding Mac Support, at least for The Witcher 2 (probably other games, judging by the other "leaks").

Possible they'll have another announcement, but not likely.

The announcement: http://www.gog.com/news/watch_us_live_here
Spoiler 0: The twitter feed for one of the popular KS projects. I can't be arsed to look it up
Spoiler 1: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-18-the-witcher-2-launches-on-mac-today-both-on-steam-and-gog
Spoiler 2: http://store.steampowered.com/news/9124/

Bhazor
18-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Also yesterday Chris Sawyer basically said they'll be launching Eternity on "Whatever systems GoG supports".

TillEulenspiegel
18-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Also yesterday Chris Sawyer basically said they'll be launching Eternity on "Whatever systems GoG supports".
When I read that, somehow I'd just assumed that GOG supported Mac for a while now. It certainly feels more like correcting an oversight than adding a feature, since Steam (and many other digital download stores), Humble Bundles, most indie games large and small, etc. all do Mac already.

Spider Jerusalem
18-10-2012, 06:46 PM
hardly seems like that announcement is worth such fanfare.

Unaco
18-10-2012, 06:47 PM
The Witcher 2 Mac support is all but confirmed, I'd say... Steam Store front page has it as "Now Available on Mac and PC", with the Steamplay Icon (buy it once, play on both), and the Store page has Mac System Requirements. Also, 25% off for the next 48 hours.

gundato
18-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Its GoG. When have they EVER gotten PR right? :p

Unaco
18-10-2012, 06:52 PM

What? Mac support for one of the most well received games of the last 2 years? New modding toolkit for one of the most well received games of the last 2 years? Possibly Mac support for one of the largest catalogues of older games available? The name of CD Projekt Red's next game? I dunno... seems worth an announcement with all of those things.

Unaco
18-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Its GoG. When have they EVER gotten PR right? :p

When they sold TW2 on GoG and made sure everyone got the best price, or a free game, despite the $//Euro conversions? When they stripped DRM from TW2 shortly after release? When they kept releasing significant and free updates and new content to TW2, upto a year after the game was initially released? Giving everyone a free backup copy of TW2 on GoG, regardless of where it had been bought? Seems like they've done some pretty good PR over the last 2 years.

Spider Jerusalem
18-10-2012, 06:56 PM
if it doesn't have to do with grim fandango then i don't want to hear about it.

gundato
18-10-2012, 07:00 PM
When they sold TW2 on GoG and made sure everyone got the best price, or a free game, despite the $//Euro conversions? When they stripped DRM from TW2 shortly after release? When they kept releasing significant and free updates and new content to TW2, upto a year after the game was initially released? Giving everyone a free backup copy of TW2 on GoG, regardless of where it had been bought? Seems like they've done some pretty good PR over the last 2 years.

Most of that is CD Projekt Red (the sister team to GoG :p). The only GoG aspect in there is the way to handle the VAT crap. We don't give Valve credit for letting us register all our UT3 keys after Epic switched over ti it.

GoG are HORRIBLE at PR, but they have a great service, which helps to get around it.

Sketch
18-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Is this all of the announcement or is there more? I know there's going to be stuff about Cyberpunk.

Internet
18-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Cool, hopefully Linux is up next.

gundato
18-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Can't turn the sound up right now, but they just mentioned something about Win8 and a few new (look like indie) games. And Giana Sisters.

SirKicksalot
18-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I like these conferences. They're always awkward.

db1331
18-10-2012, 07:23 PM
But if you like games enough to play The Witcher 2, why do you have a Mac?

gundato
18-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Yay, free mac copies if you already own the games. That bodes well for inevitable Linux

Also, for all four people who don't already own every Interplay title, pay what you want deal.

But if you like games enough to play The Witcher 2, why do you have a Mac?
Because some people like video games but aren't obsessed with them?

People prefer Macs for various stupid reasons and would prefer not to have to boot into Windows (like me with Linux)?

b0rsuk
18-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice of them. They will probably add Linux support at some point in the future, then.

Moraven
18-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Boxer is a well known Mac DosBox interface. They even have free games that come with it.
http://boxerapp.com/

Popularity of it made sense for GoG to push all their dosbox supported games as Mac downloads.

gundato
18-10-2012, 08:41 PM
The fact that dosbox runs on all three major OSes (and sort of Android) is likely the cause. That and Valve already did it.

I imagine the 1-2 year delay was CD Projekt talking with all the publishers to get permission to distribute the games in that format.