PDA

View Full Version : Why no Mark of the Ninja love?

DickSocrates
18-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I haven't bought it yet, but on 360 is got really great reviews from a number of sources. Do people even know it came out for PC on Tuesday? It didn't appear on the Steam store until after it was released and I don't think RPS has mentioned it at all, perhaps not aware either.

Very weird, ultra low key launch for such a lauded game. Could it be contractual? It's published by Microsoft, would they purposefully not publicise a PC release so as to not impact 360 sales, or would it be their usual casual negligence?

If you did get it, how is it?

Gray Guardian
18-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I will try that game once I'm done with XCOM and Dishonored. Stealth'em ups are genre no. 1 for me.

Sparkasaurusmex
18-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Sorry, only played the Xbox demo and it was great, but haven't seen the PC version yet.

Mohorovicic
18-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Any interest I had in it dropped when I learned you can't even do most of the levels "properly" until later when you have more skills/unlocked characters. Or whatever it is you unlock.

Kadayi
18-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I will try that game once I'm done with XCOM and Dishonored.

^ this +1.

I've heard good things, but it's on the get down the road list.

Henke
18-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Any interest I had in it dropped when I learned you can't even do most of the levels "properly" until later when you have more skills/unlocked characters.

Not sure what "properly" is supposed to mean, but you do unlock some cool skills later in the game which you can use in New Game+. It's a nice way of keeping things fresh on a second playthrough, but it's not as if the game is any less fun on the first playthrough with just the standard equipment/skills.

Gray Guardian
18-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I watched WTF is Mark of the Ninja on youtube and I've got to say that I don't like the gratuitious animated stabbing (including shocked expression of victim). Otherwise the game looks pretty rad so I think I'll just try a ghost/pacifist playmode.

buemba
18-10-2012, 10:27 PM
One of my favorite games this year. They announced the PC version a couple of days after I caved and bought it on the 360, so I'm going to wait for a sale before double dipping.

And I thought the story ended up being a lot better than I expected.

Any interest I had in it dropped when I learned you can't even do most of the levels "properly" until later when you have more skills/unlocked characters. Or whatever it is you unlock.

What do you mean by that? Though I didn't try to do it I'm confident it's possible to do a full "no alarm" (As in, never get spotted) playthrough with the starting costume. It would be significantly easier with a late game unlock, sure, but not necessary.

The hidden scrolls also don't require anything more than what you start with.

LTK
18-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I saw this game getting released on Steam two days ago. It just appeared on steam in the new releases list, whereas hours before then, not a single sign of its existence could be found. Then it was suddenly there, simultaneous for all regions too I believe. Launched like a true ninja.

I'd have bought it already if I could afford to do so, but I cannot, so instead I will be picking this up the moment it dips below €10.

kstress71
18-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Looks great. Just buried in other games right now...

SirDavies
19-10-2012, 12:43 AM
I'll definetly be getting it in a couple of days.

ado
19-10-2012, 01:49 AM
I've been looking forward to this since it hit Xbox Live Arcade, but with XCOM and Dark Souls I'm totally swamped with games. So I'll definitely be getting it sooner or later.

gundato
19-10-2012, 01:56 AM
This definitely looks like it is yummy, but I'll wait for a sale. I liked SHank and SHank 2 but they both lacked "heart" as it were.

Outright Villainy
19-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I've played about an hour or so last night, seems quite fun. Pc controls are pretty good, aside from killing guards, which just feels weird with the mouse drag. I'd have preferred to just use a and d to be honest. Still, other than that it seems well suited, mouse is much better for grappling and throwing shurikens, and all the movement is digital anyway so you're not missing any nuance like you would in say Splinter Cell. I quite like the feel of it, movement seems nice and deliberate, and flicking from doorway to doorway to ceiling and out the otherside of the room without even touching the guards feels very satisfying indeed. I like how, so far anyway, that if you botch the stealth you can escape if you're quick enough with the grappel. It's nice to see a game focus on pure stealth, yet give you viable ways of escaping if you mess things up.

Shooop
19-10-2012, 02:11 PM
A bit busy with other things at the time. But this is something I am interested in.

downgrade
19-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I have just finished NG+ after about 26 hours of total playtime. The game is really great and gives the player an enormous amount of freedom with the different costumes and items. You really feel like a powerful ninja.

The game is a bit on the easy side and the checkpoint system encourages trial and error. I was a bit disappointed by new game plus, where the added challenge (your ninja gets a "sight cone", less visual hints) becomes nullified by the teleport abbility that is unlocked in the last level and other powerful items.
The difficulty seems somewhat tied to the unlocks... unlocking through the game.

STORY SPOILERS BELOW

The story is nothing to write home about, but I think it was quite nice how the ninja goes more and more insane in the course of the game with a neat "embrace or release the demons"-ending.

/SPOILER

Verdict: Awesome stealth game with the high polish, smooth gameplay and cartooney visuals known from other KLEI games.

120% out of 16 bananas. Would buy again.

Patrick Swayze
19-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Just tried the xbox demo and loved it, how do the graphics hold up on PC? Full 1080 or we got some nasty upscaled sprites and interface?

LTK
20-10-2012, 12:08 AM
As far as I've heard, no complaints about the port, and the resolution is a full 1080p.

Heliocentric
20-10-2012, 08:08 AM
I am getting seriously worn down by games needing you to unlock crap (both the metroidvainia and the multiplayer game 'progression'). Maybe I'm tired of having to backtrack and sick of being drip fed tools and techniques.

Blessed be the occasional game that had enough time confidence to fully equip you and throw you to the wolves.

karthink
20-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I have purchased, played and almost finished it. This is easily the best 2D stealth game I've ever played. Here are some salient points about the game:

1. Like all good stealth games, it's built upon multiple interacting systems, and the holy grail, emergence, makes itself visible every now and again. I once strung up a mook from a perch and attracted the attention of some other guards in the process. One of them, terrified at the sight of the hanging corpse, began shooting up the room, killed everyone else and brought down a chandelier on himself. Room cleared.

2. The game keeps adding new elements and challenges, like World of Goo did. It feels great.

3. The gameplay is *tight*. The ninja handles like you'd expect a ninja to handle, agile, precise, powerful but vulnerable. It works great with a mouse/keyboard. There are only four three keys besides WASD to know, and both the layouts and usage is intuitive.

4. It looks beautiful.

5. There are unlocks. I don't like the system, but they are meaningful, and you can kit yourself for "ghost" and "bruiser" playthroughs, or anything in between. You can swap gear out multiple times in a mission.

6. I ran through the campaign in about eight hours. I want to stop typing and go replay the earlier missions now.

Honestly, it plays like a mix of Dishonored and the Arkham games in 2D, right down to some of the ninja abilities. This game needs more love.

grasskit
20-10-2012, 06:09 PM
somehow im not into platformers, dunno why that is. i dislike platformers more than i like stealth games

airtekh
24-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Well this is pretty damn awesome isn't it? Up until a week or so ago, I'd never heard of this game, now I can't stop playing it!

Without a doubt it's one of my favourite games of the year, and a candidate for the No. 1 spot as well.

I'm playing with a 360 pad, and the controls feel perfect. It's so fluid moving from wall to ceiling to wall all without touching the ground, stalking your enemies. I love the way you can peek around corners/vents without being seen, so you can get the sense of a room and plan your moves.

It feels so damn satisfying when you scare the pants off a guard, and he blows away a nearby ally with panic fire, while another guard comes running to investigate and is killed by a spike trap carefully placed beforehand.

I love doing the little 'spiderman' dangle from your grappling hook and stringing up guards from lamposts. It reminds me of a similar move in Batman Arkham City/Asylum.

The only thing that slightly annoys me is that you cannot manually aim your bamboo darts against walls/floors, they always need a fixed target of some sort.

I've nearly finished the main campaign, but I'm itching to replay the levels just so I can obtain all the seals and get a better score.

If you enjoy stealth games in any way, shape or form (Thief, Splinter Cell etc) you should really appreciate what Mark of the Ninja has to offer.

Shane
24-10-2012, 03:25 PM
The art-style and animation, man, that sucks. I didn't like it in Shank and I don't like it here.

buemba
24-10-2012, 10:45 PM
The art-style and animation, man, that sucks. I didn't like it in Shank and I don't like it here.

The artstyle is probably my biggest complaint about the game. Klei's stuff looks too much like flash animation to me.

It animates beautifully, though.

karthink
25-10-2012, 05:33 PM
The only thing that slightly annoys me is that you cannot manually aim your bamboo darts against walls/floors, they always need a fixed target of some sort.

If you enjoy stealth games in any way, shape or form (Thief, Splinter Cell etc) you should really appreciate what Mark of the Ninja has to offer.

Aim with your mouse cursor and hit Q to throw bamboo darts anywhere. (You can't do it in focus mode.)

Giaddon
25-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm enjoying this a lot. Between Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored, and Hotline Miami, this has been one of the best months for stealth games ever.

airtekh
25-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I just unlocked a Cardboard Box as an equipment choice, which raised a smile from me.

Aim with your mouse cursor and hit Q to throw bamboo darts anywhere. (You can't do it in focus mode.)

The only problem with aiming like this is that the game auto-adjusts your aim to hit a nearby 'valid' target.

If I'm aiming near a guard (but not at him) using this method, then the dart will always go towards him rather than the point I wanted it to hit.

It's not a major problem anyway.

I'm enjoying this a lot. Between Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored, and Hotline Miami, this has been one of the best months for stealth games ever.

Agreed. I feel spoiled for choice!