PDA

View Full Version : New Citybuilder From Tilted Mill

MoLAoS
18-10-2012, 09:37 PM
TM sent out an announcement a couple days ago that they are going to put out a new city builder, Medieval Mayor in the next year or so.

After my fabulous experience with Emperor and given my preference for the time/period/theme I have to say I am quite excited. I bought every single stronghold game on sale in the last few months to get back that CB feeling.

TM has really been the only seller of good supply chain/warehouse/trading games that I have come across and although they let the military aspect in Emperor fall to the wayside the economic aspects were solid enough to keep me going for hundreds of hours.

If anyone is interested the announcement page is:
http://tiltedmill.com/medieval-mayor/

Anyone else here as obsessed with CB games as I?

somini
18-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I thought Zeus and Pharaoh were absolutely brilliant, but I haven't followed them much since then. This looks good, it's one to watch.

strange headache
18-10-2012, 09:58 PM
After Sim City Societies these people are dead to me.

jackthename
18-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I love citybuilders and unfortunately good ones are hard to come by. It seems that usually to get one pushed out the door before the company goes under they deliver a promising but flawed game. Always promising but flawed.

That said, I'm excited that Tilted Mill is still putting them out and I'm interested to see how this one plays out. From the feature set on the announcements page it seems that they are sticking to what's safe and works. But if they make it actually work well it could be just the thing us starved CB fans are waiting for.

What is this "Emperor" game you speak of?

MoLAoS
18-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, I think it may have been an Impressions game and not a Titled Mill one though, but its basically the same company iirc.

MoLAoS
18-10-2012, 10:05 PM
After Sim City Societies these people are dead to me.

This is going back to their roots though, so it shouldn't be a factor. To be fair I never played SCS so maybe it was bad enough to deserve the hate.

ZIGS
18-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Heh, a city builder by a company called "Tilted Mill". Gotta appreciate the irony

Fanbuoy
18-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Have there been no CBs on Kickstarter? Seems like a good genre for the platform. It's been more or less dead for a long time and I hear many people saying they miss it. City builders that is, not Kickstarter.

MoLAoS
18-10-2012, 10:36 PM
ziggs, i presume that was the point.

fanbuoy, i look around zealously for city builders, i think castle story is city builder ish, but also focuses a lot on minecrafty gameplay mechanics. i can't recall any other KS CBs off the top of my head, there may not be any.

archonsod
19-10-2012, 12:23 AM
I thought Zeus and Pharaoh were absolutely brilliant, but I haven't followed them much since then. This looks good, it's one to watch.

Children of the Nile was imho the absolute pinnacle of the genre.

Fanbuoy
19-10-2012, 12:40 AM
fanbuoy, i look around zealously for city builders, i think castle story is city builder ish, but also focuses a lot on minecrafty gameplay mechanics. i can't recall any other KS CBs off the top of my head, there may not be any.

Huh, go figure. You hear that, developers? "There might not be any." First mover advantage (sort of)! Go get it!

*Sits back and waits comfortably*

MoLAoS
19-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Huh, go figure. You hear that, developers? "There might not be any." First mover advantage (sort of)! Go get it!

*Sits back and waits comfortably*

Don't I wish some dev would grab that opportunity...

c-Row
19-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Grand Ages: Rome wasn't as complex as it probably could have been but still quite enjoyable nevertheless.

somini
19-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Just noticed I got that on Steam. Is it really better than Zeus? What could they improve?

MoLAoS
19-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Grand Ages: Rome wasn't as complex as it probably could have been but still quite enjoyable nevertheless.

It didn't have an interesting enough economy for me sadly. Not enough trade goods and foods and what not.

levictus
19-10-2012, 07:04 PM

How does it compare to Pharaoh / Cleopatra and Zeus / Poseidon? I play these games at least once a year (for more than 10 years now). Unfortunately I never got try Children of the Nile.

I didn't like Simcity societies by TM. Hinterland was okay, but it felt more like ARPGish Majesty.

archonsod
19-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Go play the demo:
http://immortalcities.com/cotn/downloads/demo.php

It's somewhat hard to describe with any justice. It's got the same backbone as the Impressions series, but it feels a lot more organic and alive. Really a pity they couldn't continue the Immortal Cities series.

As a bonus it's dirt cheap on Gamersgate and similar these days too. If you enjoy it I'd thoroughly recommend getting the Alexandria mini-expansion.

MoLAoS
20-10-2012, 02:40 AM
woohoo fun spam... mods gonna handle this? happened to like 4 threads.

somini
20-10-2012, 02:41 AM
woohoo fun spam... mods gonna handle this? happened to like 4 threads.
James must be playing Dishonored... I know I am.

MoLAoS
20-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Eww Dishonored. Gross.

Danny252
20-10-2012, 08:17 PM
How does it compare to Pharaoh / Cleopatra and Zeus / Poseidon? I play these games at least once a year (for more than 10 years now). Unfortunately I never got try Children of the Nile.

I never really got into COTN - the little peeps seemed to have too much freedom to control, and would do something silly like spend all day walking around collecting food, rather than working and getting paid (food being the currency). It also seemed so slow, even for a CB - I keep thinking that I must've got the wrong end of the stick with it, though, because other people seem to enjoy it.

If you do just want a follow on from Caesar-Pharoah-Zeus series, Emperor is the thing to go for - same engine, and really nicely balanced in my opinion. Excellent soundtrack, too.

tjv
20-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes! Been wondering what TM guys have been doing. The art-style here doesn't look too exciting, but once there are proper screenshots it might be a different thing. Getting a Settlers vibe, which is not a bad thing necessary.

archonsod
20-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I never really got into COTN - the little peeps seemed to have too much freedom to control, and would do something silly like spend all day walking around collecting food, rather than working and getting paid (food being the currency).

That's because they can only earn bread if people will pay them for it. If they're scavenging then either they're not making enough from working (either not enough demand for their products, or too much competition) or you haven't harvested enough to keep your economy going. It's one of the trickier balancing acts, you need to have sufficient stores and services that people aren't wasting half their day trying to buy sandals while making sure there's not so many sandal makers that they're driving each other out of business.
It's not that much different from the earlier model once you get your head around it. Rather than optimising your road network to ensure you've got the right walkers heading to the right place it's a case of optimising the building layout so that your population can attend to their basic needs without wasting too much of their time.

torgen
21-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm apparently different from most, as I did not care for the "gods walking among us distributing blessings to the houses they pass by" that entered the games with Zeus. Of course, on ALL those games, I want a map that is twice the size they give you.

Fanbuoy
21-10-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm apparently different from most, as I did not care for the "gods walking among us distributing blessings to the houses they pass by" that entered the games with Zeus. Of course, on ALL those games, I want a map that is twice the size they give you.

This. While I've always enjoyed mythology, I don't want it in this type of game. I want to build a genuine Greek city, not fight bloody Medusa. Religion should definitely be included but as a psychological factor, something intangible.

My guess is that it's to a great extent the effect of the need to give the games more of their own separate identities. After all, the differences between Roman cities and Greek ones were probably not obvious enough to warrant the purchase of a new game in many people's eyes. Throwing in deities and mythology is a handy way of giving the game its own flavour and allows for new mechanisms to be implemented.

levictus
21-10-2012, 08:42 AM
This. While I've always enjoyed mythology, I don't want it in this type of game. I want to build a genuine Greek city, not fight bloody Medusa. Religion should definitely be included but as a psychological factor, something intangible.

My guess is that it's to a great extent the effect of the need to give the games more of their own separate identities. After all, the differences between Roman cities and Greek ones were probably not obvious enough to warrant the purchase of a new game in many people's eyes. Throwing in deities and mythology is a handy way of giving the game its own flavour and allows for new mechanisms to be implemented.

To be fair, there was a lot more to Zeus / Poseidon than mythology and religion. These elements were definitely more pronounced than in Caesar 3 / Pharaoh, but the sandbox mode did allow you to focus solely on the city building aspects.

I actually purchased CotN off steam and it seems to be rather enjoyable. :)

Fanbuoy
21-10-2012, 10:06 AM
To be fair, there was a lot more to Zeus / Poseidon than mythology and religion. These elements were definitely more pronounced than in Caesar 3 / Pharaoh, but the sandbox mode did allow you to focus solely on the city building aspects.

I actually purchased CotN off steam and it seems to be rather enjoyable. :)

Oh, absolutely. I'm not accusing it of being shallow, I'm just saying that I don't like that specific aspect of it.

Orontes
21-10-2012, 07:51 PM
I love city builders, esp. the Impressions games. Looking forward to this new game (as long as it's single-player only).

MoLAoS
21-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I wonder if RPS will do some interviews with them. They are pretty open on their forums but it would be nice to get some more info.

mr.ioes
21-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm superhyped for this. Caesar III totally is my all-time favourite video game. I think it's odd how people always only talk about zeus, children of the nile, etc. Caesar III had way better sound, atmosphere and graphics (yes, I know it's the oldest of the series).

Kiril
22-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Am looking forward to this. While I enjoyed Hinterland for what it was, I do hope they stick to their earlier games ideas. COTN was very good if a little cumbersome at times.

I want screenies and video to see what its going to play like, is it going back to COTN, 3D open town kinda way, or back to Pharaoh which would make it like Anno, which isn't too bad of a thing, and have set roads, and such

MoLAoS
23-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Poor TM. Each poster appears to like a different version of the CB mechanics.

MoLAoS
24-10-2012, 02:18 AM
This is the second time this poster has posted spam in this thread, plus the other threads its spamming. Where are the bans?

Lacero
24-10-2012, 10:44 AM
CotN was excellent, easily my favourite.

It looks like this is going back to the older style with fixed length walk paths though, I always disliked that as it limited you quite a lot and had a very binary food / no food distinction.

levictus
27-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm superhyped for this. Caesar III totally is my all-time favourite video game. I think it's odd how people always only talk about zeus, children of the nile, etc. Caesar III had way better sound, atmosphere and graphics (yes, I know it's the oldest of the series).

From what I remember, one big problem with Caesar III was the randomness of the walkers - which quickly became really frustrating. I believe this issue was fixed in all the later games in the series.

vinraith
27-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I like Tilted Mill, and CoTN is excellent. The setting for this one, though, is definitely less interesting to me.

TillEulenspiegel
27-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I like Tilted Mill, and CoTN is excellent. The setting for this one, though, is definitely less interesting to me.
I'm a huge medieval history nerd, and this turns me off slightly because it sounds like a general pastiche of pop culture views ("dark ages") based in no particular time or place. Compare to something like Patrician 2/3/4, which is a reasonably accurate model of Hanse cities.

I'm just going from the description on the site though, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

vinraith
27-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm a huge medieval history nerd, and this turns me off slightly because it sounds like a general pastiche of pop culture views ("dark ages") based in no particular time or place. Compare to something like Patrician 2/3/4, which is a reasonably accurate model of Hanse cities.

I'm just going from the description on the site though, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

That's what I get out of it too. Something more specific would definitely be more interesting. Something more specific and a little bit exotic (Byzantine city builder? Turkish city builder? Scandinavian city builder?) would be even better.

Bhazor
27-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Another vote for Children of the Nile.
I loved Zeus as a wee 'un but going back to it it feels too simple. Same problem I have with Anno, once you reach equilibrium you're basically done.

Children of the Nile just had more variables, it just felt more like a challenge.

EddyGamerLP
29-10-2012, 11:41 AM
A new city builder from them is always an interesting proposition, I'll keep an eye on it.

Chris Beatrice
13-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Poor TM. Each poster appears to like a different version of the CB mechanics. Yes, indeed. In fact I wrote quite a lengthy article on that subject recently called, Of Walkers and Men:
http://www.game-wisdom.com/guest/of-walkers-and-men-city-building-by-design

Chris Beatrice
13-12-2012, 12:51 AM
After Sim City Societies these people are dead to me. Nooooooooooooo!!!!!

MoLAoS
13-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Oh hey Chris. Way to necro post :P

Looks like this thread got a pretty positive reaction, way less trolling than usual. Haven't checked it in awhile.

And I can now collect my 10 points for the game creator posting in my thread. Add that to my 10 from Koster and I'm 1/5 of the way to the 100 point goal. Sweetness.

TheXand
13-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I wish they'd make a sequel to Hinterland instead. I loved that game, and a more polished and refined sequel could be brilliant.

Chris Beatrice
13-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh hey Chris. Way to necro post :P

Looks like this thread got a pretty positive reaction, way less trolling than usual. Haven't checked it in awhile.

I know, I know. Sorry I missed this earlier.

MoLAoS
13-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I wish they'd make a sequel to Hinterland instead. I loved that game, and a more polished and refined sequel could be brilliant.

I bought it cause of this comment. It was pretty nice except I couldnt find a tome and so I had a big sad. I do have a few complaints also but that is for another thread.

c-Row
14-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Still have hopes for a city builder set in the old west in the style of Anno 1404.

Chris Beatrice
14-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Still have hopes for a city builder set in the old west in the style of Anno 1404. Mat Williams and I worked on a rough design for such a game a few years back, called "Boomtown." Never could squeeze it in, though.

c-Row
15-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Mat Williams and I worked on a rough design for such a game a few years back, called "Boomtown." Never could squeeze it in, though.

Don't bin those design documents just yet.