PDA

View Full Version : Rollercoaster Tycoon: Which one?

Doctor_Hellsturm
20-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Dear fellows of this esteemed community.
I have but one question: Shall i buy Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, 2 or 3?
I have played neither of them, but am in serious need of a good management game. Since no one is planning a remake of Constructor, I have decided to settle for RCT. So far i am leaning towards the original.
I want maximum depth and minimum hidden modifiers and mechanics.
Let the exchange of opinions commence!

vinraith
20-10-2012, 07:39 PM
What advantage would there be to playing 1 over 2? I'm partial to 3 myself, but that's because I'm goofy enough to really enjoy riding my own coasters.

Cryptoshrimp
20-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I think 2 is the best game in that series. I dislike three, because it's 3d and rubbish. Two is basically one but with more stuff.

Metalfish
20-10-2012, 07:47 PM
You can find the classic maps from RCT 1 for RCT2 somewhere. A quick google should find them. 2 feels a little light on content if you don't DL some extra levels.

Cooper
20-10-2012, 07:54 PM
2 is the better game / sim (and makes 1 redundant).

3 let's you ride rollercoasters and do more. It's sandbox mode removes cash and allows you to create parks to your own fancy.

Also, if you download some of the pretty amazing community addon scenery packs
(start here:
http://www.customscenerydepot.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5d95fccc6e78d7db1c4ee323b12b9c 5c&
and here:
http://rctgo.com/downloads/custom-scenery )
You can create something much more impressive than 2 would allow for.

Doctor_Hellsturm
20-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Vinraith: I am unpartial to the third one because it has got less than stellar reviews. Also I feared the "more streamlined/less-stuff"-corollary (it usually makes itself known in the third iteration of a series).

Sketch
20-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I love 1 because, well it was the first one I played and has great scenarios, but I think it is a case of 2 just being a newer, updated version with different scenarios. If you can get the levels from 1 into 2, do that.

Feldspar
20-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I never played 3, but agree that 2 was 1 with more stuff and some improvements. I always ended up building the Vom-o-tron, a coaster that needed its own clean-up crew on the exit ramp.

Sketch
20-10-2012, 09:10 PM
When I first played it I could never create a coaster that people would use, I couldn't figure out why. Then I realised it was because I hadn't put banking turns in after drops, just normal ones and it caused something ridiculous like 12 gs.

vinraith
20-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Vinraith: I am unpartial to the third one because it has got less than stellar reviews. Also I feared the "more streamlined/less-stuff"-corollary (it usually makes itself known in the third iteration of a series).

Yeah, it's not the one you want for serious simming, but I think 2 probably is.

DevinSmoth
20-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I personally enjoyed the first one the best out of all the titles, honestly. I felt like two took away some of the customization that I wanted and that 3 was just abysmally bad. ;P But that's my personal opinion... mileage may vary, of course.

vinraith
20-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I felt like two took away some of the customization that I wanted

What's in 1 but not in 2? I never played the first one, so I'm honestly curious.

DevinSmoth
20-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Can you change the ride prices in 2?

vinraith
20-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Can you change the ride prices in 2?

I'd assume so, I know you can in 3. Heck, that's half the game.

Xari
20-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Two is definitely the best, 3 was "okay" but it never quite gripped me as the first two.

I usually play RCT 1 because it natively supports windowed mode and thus fucks less with my work laptop, though. It's the perfect game to quickly put up during a break or when things are calm.

Doctor_Hellsturm
21-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I feel like there is a growing consensus on II. You have all been most helpful as per usual.

doctor_roxo
21-10-2012, 04:16 AM
this is one series i regret never playing. personally i would get 3 as i've considered getting it lots of times. but as i've never played any, my opinion doesn't count for much.
i will say that i played the hell out of Sim Theme Park and loved that game. so i'm sure i would enjoy this series even more as it looks even better.
if you do get it Doctor, would you come back and share your thoughts?

soldant
21-10-2012, 04:36 AM
To echo the others, 2 is basically 1 with more stuff in terms of rides and stuff you can put down, but the first game has more in the way of scenarios. I'd say get both, but if you're only going to get one of them, get the 2nd game.

internetonsetadd
21-10-2012, 09:39 AM
What's in 1 but not in 2? I never played the first one, so I'm honestly curious.

I haven't played any of the series, but I did happen to see a review that addresses this the last time it was on sale on GOG. See first review (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/rollercoaster_tycoon_2), by cathal.

Ravelle
21-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I enjoyed the hell out of RT1 back in the day and later tried out 2 but since it was basically RT2 with some extra stuff never continued. Three is the 3D version but I barely touched that one.

bonkers
21-10-2012, 07:16 PM
To echo the mentioned arguments I think you cannot get wrong with II. It's a great game.

ShowMeTheMonkey
22-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I loved all of them but 3 is the one I always go back to as I can build the park that I want. It's obviously the prettiest and it's not that light on the sim aspect, in most cases it's exactly the same. I feel constrained with the isometric view nowadays.

Sic
23-10-2012, 01:11 AM
You can't go wrong with neither the first or the second. The third one is rather rubbish in comparison, though.

Voon
23-10-2012, 02:49 AM
3 is only a bit rubbish compared to 2 because the 3d is ugly as sin in that game, although it give you a full sandbox mode and lets you ride your rollercoasters.

I personally find 2 to be the best simply because it is RCT with more stuff. Also, it still looks better than 3

christ87
23-10-2012, 02:19 PM
definately 2, i found the controls annoying in 3!

ShowMeTheMonkey
23-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I find 3 quite pretty actually.

Alez
23-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I really wanted to enjoy the third but the visuals, the 3d....just terrible. Call me a graphics whore but i couldn't stand to really get into it when i had no joy in watching my park. Maybe the third has the most advanced gameplay of the 3, maybe it has the most rides and biggest variety. I'll never know 'cause it's too ugly.
Why do 3D when it looks like ass compared to your older game in 2D? I'm looking at you too Stronghold. When you do it like the awesome Anno series, then hell yeah.

And yeah, like all the others here, get the second game because it's pretty much a stand alone expansion to the first. I don't think you could tell from which of the 2 screenshots are if you arrange a few in a random order.

One thing that nobody else said. There was a custom map that i loved playing which i don't remember the name of. You start off with no rides and NO LAND, you have to buy block by block. That thing was crazy hard yet very satisfying when you finally manage to turn a profit. No need for any other scenario i think. Can anyone remember the name of the map?