PDA

View Full Version : First proper Rome Total War 2 gameplay

Sketch
20-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I know there was that short 'gameplay' trailer before, but here's an actual presentation and it looks blood marvelous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f&v=i24VGOeTAHs

Skip to 2:15 ish if you want to get right to it.

So yeah, thoughts?

Serenegoose
20-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Don't want darker, don't want grittier. They've also messed up the graphics settings there, unless the shadows really are designed to just completely get in the way of being able to see anything.

But it'll probably be excellent, because I've never not enjoyed a total war game.

DarkFenix
21-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I prefer the look of the previous games too; that's not to say I dislike the way Rome 2 looks, I'd just prefer otherwise. I'm sure it won't take long for mods to come along and give us all what we want though.

Regarding the actual meat of the presentation, I do like the apparent improvements to siege towers. It used to be that you'd order a siege tower forward then go and have a nap, because that thing wasn't going to be doing anything any time soon. I also hope they (finally) pay some attention to pathfinding around gates; Shogun 2's sieges drive me to distraction with the two hundred metre long queues of soldiers all waiting to enter via the leftmost corner of the great big castle gate. Previous games had units becoming seperated, a few soldiers almost inevitably being shoved away from their unit, then getting stuck on a wall corner or something.

And hopefully, since we're back to a continent where people understood the notion that putting protection between your flesh and sharp objects held by angry men is a good idea, archers will be slightly less effective than machine guns (Shogun 2 is bloody ridiculous for this).

Fanbuoy
21-10-2012, 02:01 AM
I think that they sepia tone of Rome 2 is a quite fitting way of communicating the gritty, grindy, brute forcy nature of war. The more vivid colour palette of Shogun 2 was a good fit for the finesse and poetic side of Samurai warfare. Basically, it's a good way of giving the games separate identities and providing different experiences.

I think it looks terrific and, seeing as it's early on in production, am eagerly waiting for further updates.

SirKicksalot
21-10-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm sure a winter skirmish in Britannia will have the same sepia tones as an apocalyptic assault on Carthage.

Unaco
21-10-2012, 02:41 AM
That looks incredible. I was already encouraged by what I'd seen/read. Even more so now.

Cooper
21-10-2012, 03:36 AM
The human scale?

Am I missing something, or is that pretty much what every TW game is, to it's core, very much not about?

If I'm looking at facial animations, my camera's in the wrong place.

bonkers
21-10-2012, 09:35 AM
The sepia coloring looks nice, but it's too dark. The shadows might get in the way of gameplay. I think they need to do some adjustment there.

Diesel-
21-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Looking good. but im more excited for COH2

Sketch
21-10-2012, 09:54 AM
This is pre alpha so it should be fine, plus I think it mostly comes from this specific battle rather than the entire tone of the game. At least I hope.

Metalfish
21-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Firstly, I'm really impressed. Rome was always my favourite, and it appears to be shaping up to be a worthy successor. I think this stage-managed video can only tell us so much, but I only saw one instance of "queuing in a line really unrealistically 'cause someone got stuck on something" syndrome that's plagued the siege battles of the series (note the unrealistically wide streets, something I'm happy with if it means less oddness).

If there are words that PR peeps (and devs doing PR) shouldn't be allowed to use, near the top of that list of words are: gritty and visceral. One is overused, not to mention abused, to the point of tedium and the other is often meaningless.

noxnoctum
22-10-2012, 02:05 AM
The human scale?

Am I missing something, or is that pretty much what every TW game is, to it's core, very much not about?

If I'm looking at facial animations, my camera's in the wrong place.

Ya I wish they'd put their effort into improving the AI and adding depth to the strategic layer rather than stuff that contributes nothing to the gameplay.

I wish I could be excited for this, it definitely looks incredible, but the AI and lack of depth of the strategic layer are the things I care about.

SirKicksalot
22-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Well, the graphics people don't also work on AI, so let them focus on facial animations.

sonson
22-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Basically looks like Shogun 2 with Romans and Roman stuff, which makes sense.

As grand as it all is though I find it kind of a waste-Shogun was unlike anything the PC had seen before due to it's scale and ambition, and it demanded that you played it at that level. Contextually, it was so *Big*.

Whereas in making everyone look pretty in the sequels and focusing on the details it's basically a waste as far as gameplay goes, if you're zoomed in looking at it all you're not going to be managing the battle very well. It's certainly pretty but unlike something like the Witcher 2 or Guild Wars 2 the point isn't that you stop and have a wee look around and take in the scenery.

qwurp
22-10-2012, 02:19 PM
This game is shaping up nicely, especially considering this is alpha. I'm excited to go back to Rome.

SirKicksalot
22-10-2012, 04:49 PM

As grand as it all is though I find it kind of a waste-Shogun was unlike anything the PC had seen before due to it's scale and ambition, and it demanded that you played it at that level. Contextually, it was so *Big*.

Whereas in making everyone look pretty in the sequels and focusing on the details it's basically a waste as far as gameplay goes, if you're zoomed in looking at it all you're not going to be managing the battle very well. It's certainly pretty but unlike something like the Witcher 2 or Guild Wars 2 the point isn't that you stop and have a wee look around and take in the scenery.

What's the point in being 100% efficient if it's not that fun? I like to pretend I'm Ridley Scott when I play Total War.

Bhazor
23-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Pah! It should clearly just be composed of different coloured squares bumping into each other. Thats the only way to make a strategy game.

sonson
23-10-2012, 03:52 PM
What's the point in being 100% efficient if it's not that fun? I like to pretend I'm Ridley Scott when I play Total War.

I find it more fun to watch troops manouevure and be pulled around from above : ) Each to their own though.

When the original Shogun came out I used to zoom in all the time though, before battle was joined or when my generalship wasn't needed, but it was a lot more sedately paced so you could do that, you had a good five minutes before sides met each other at least if you weren't playing on full speed and fights lasted longer. I zoomed down into a Shogun 2 fight and it was very exciting but not 15 seconds had gone and the losing unit had been decimated.

DaftPunk
23-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I also love to zoom every here and there,and take some epic screenies or just enjoy in mayhem :D

Game looks good,only thing i don't like is color palette,no need for everything to look lbrown,this is not Mars after all.

Eviljace
23-10-2012, 04:18 PM
i hope-o god i hope that they do some amount of bug testing before it goes gold
plus i too felt that the combat in shogun2 was a bit fast paced and some of the balance was iffy too

Okami
23-10-2012, 05:18 PM
That's a great video for one of those drinking games. Keywords are "dark", "gritty", "realistic", "visceral" and "human".

Nalano
23-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Complete with all the weird wonkiness of Total War games, like "hey, our phalanx has to round a corner. Everybody get in single file!"

duff
23-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Complete with all the weird wonkiness of Total War games, like "hey, our phalanx has to round a corner. Everybody get in single file!"

Shogun 2 was actually pretty good in that respect, so long as you didn't try and pass through a gate. :p

Also, why is there some kind of brown filter?

DaftPunk
23-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I think commentator in the video says that its more realistic with brown lol.

Gorzan
23-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Grittier, grittier is the word.

Sketch
23-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Not sure whether that's the overall styling of the game, it sort of fits with the whole broken, burning city feel though.

duff
23-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Not sure whether that's the overall styling of the game, it sort of fits with the whole broken, burning city feel though.

Yeh it does, but can't help but feel it's a little over done. Like theres been some volcanic eruption or something.

Gorzan
23-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I dunno, you've got to acknowledge the fact that when Roman cities burnt, they did so big time, most buildings being really close together and made of wood.

MeltdownInteractiveMedia
24-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Love the way it looks! The dark, gritty look suits a game of war perfectly.
Love the detail in the environments and the armies.

sonson
24-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I think commentator in the video says that its more realistic with brown lol.

Colours were not invented until later. I know they were in the original Rome Total War but that games was unrealistic anyway.

Stevo
25-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Am I alone in saying that I barely played the real time aspect of the Total War games? I loved the campaign with a passion and I couldn't trust my crap real time strategy to see me conquer the world. Always wondered what the best approach would be for playing more of the real time stuff without getting frustrated.

Prokroustis
25-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Always wondered what the best approach would be for playing more of the real time stuff without getting frustrated.

Skirmish or multiplayer matches? (although in multiplayer unless you're playing with a friend frustration may be unavoidable).

lordcooper
23-08-2013, 08:35 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5oE3HZo.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/5oE3HZo.jpg)

Well that's a bit worrying. No more splitting up armies in the field? No more leaving the infantry behind as your general and cavalry evade an unwinnable battle?

grasskit
23-08-2013, 08:45 AM
um i think you might be reading too much into that

Hanban
23-08-2013, 08:47 AM
There seems to be an answer here. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/68061-Jack-Lusted-s-clarification-of-army-cap

As a rabid Total War fan I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Assuming diplomacy works and you can actually put some faith in your allies I suppose it could be okay. But I am currently playing a game of Rome as Carthage and my allies consistently betray me. Here's hoping it works as intended.

sonson
23-08-2013, 09:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5oE3HZo.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/5oE3HZo.jpg)

Well that's a bit worrying. No more splitting up armies in the field? No more leaving the infantry behind as your general and cavalry evade an unwinnable battle?

Your army must be led by Commander Shepard. And to be honest if you've got yourself into a position of an unwinnable battle with a general who is too valuable to lose you should face the consequences of your carelessness. Or just reload a save and avoid it.

@Hanban- so long as they haven't totally changed the engine the diplomacy should be good. It was very decent in Shogun II and FOTS. You're basing your worries on a game which is nearly a decade old and at least two engines out of date.

Drake Sigar
23-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Looking forward to this and the years of patches that will no doubt follow. I thought about going back to the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 Total War, but there's a risk of getting temporarily burnt out on the series if you play for too long. What I like to do to get me in the mood is have a Time Commander's marathon. Time Commanders was a British television show using the Rome Total War engine. Contestants would be fed information by enthusastic historians. Then they'd need to come up with a battle plan and give orders to the programmers controlling the armies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cppZymG5E

sonson
23-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Looking forward to this and the years of patches that will no doubt follow. I thought about going back to the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 Total War, but there's a risk of getting temporarily burnt out on the series if you play for too long. What I like to do to get me in the mood is have a Time Commander's marathon. Time Commanders was a British television show using the Rome Total War engine. Contestants would be fed information by enthusastic historians. Then they'd need to come up with a battle plan and give orders to the programmers controlling the armies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1cppZymG5E

Used to watch it every week! It is so incredibly weird that it got made. And then recommissioned as well. On prime time as well. Just after the Simpsons. Wednesdays if I recall?

Drake Sigar
23-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't get it either. Did they ever have permission to use the engine in the first place? Doesn't seem like it. Great show anyway, loved it even more than Knightmare. Most of the contestants lost horribly of course, clinging to something they once heard in a movie that has no relevance in the battle they're in, or just generally being clueless about concepts like the high ground or how to use calvary. Simple stuff you'd think, but I guess the general populace don't have much call for ancient military tactics.

The thing that killed most teams though was the communication. A mother, father, daughter, and son came on the show and they kicked ass (it's also hilarious to watch a housewife shouting bloodthirsty commands and really getting into it), but when a group of videogamers came on, their whole match devolved into screaming and ignoring one another.

Yeah that sounds about right. Bloody gamers.

lordcooper
23-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Whoa, that was a Total War game? I remember watching it as a child and thinking it'd be awesome if they made a game out of it. Looks like I missed out big time on that one.

sonson
23-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't get it either. Did they ever have permission to use the engine in the first place? Doesn't seem like it. Great show anyway, loved it even more than Knightmare. Most of the contestants lost horribly of course, clinging to something they once heard in a movie that has no relevance in the battle they're in, or just generally being clueless about concepts like the high ground or how to use calvary. Simple stuff you'd think, but I guess the general populace don't have much call for ancient military tactics.

The thing that killed most teams though was the communication. A mother, father, daughter, and son came on the show and they kicked ass (it's also hilarious to watch a housewife shouting bloodthirsty commands and really getting into it), but when a group of videogamers came on, their whole match devolved into screaming and ignoring one another.

Yeah that sounds about right. Bloody gamers.

I pause quite a lot in Total War, the wargame/model soldiers element is a very big part of the whole experience for me and you get more of that if you pause at points to see the whole battlefield and look at the scenario as a whole.

I suspect I would lose as many as I won, at least, if I wasn't able to pause it, or just had to convey sort of abstract direction without a M & KB.

I'm not sure if it was licensed per se, as the game or CA were never advertised or mentioned (not that they could have been on the Beeb) but it was absolutely just Rome or Medieval II they were playing. CA must have been cool with it, and right behind the idea to start with. Neither games were released when the series was aired. I remember thinking "Not long til I get to play it" while watching.

Jockie
23-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if it was licensed per se, as the game or CA were never advertised or mentioned (not that they could have been on the Beeb) but it was absolutely just Rome or Medieval II they were playing. CA must have been cool with it, and right behind the idea to start with. Neither games were released when the series was aired. I remember thinking "Not long til I get to play it" while watching.

Wikipedia says :The televised programmes contained no reference to the origin of the software powering the 3D visuals, due to the BBC's rules against product placement; however Rome: Total War makers The Creative Assembly were named in the credits of the show with a specific mention of them providing the game engine.

It was a very odd concept for a tv series. It's also kind of amusing the way the show harped on about how the battles were programmed to act like historical generals, when really the Rome AI was kind of bad and easily cheesable. Or maybe they had more tighly scripted AI for those specific battles.

Drake Sigar
23-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Pretty sure the AI was actually human programmers behind the curtain who would reward the players for doing smart things and punish them for tactical errors. The AI in-game certainly isn't that responsive.

*Sigh* I wish the show was back for Rome 2.

SanguineAngel
23-08-2013, 12:17 PM
*Sigh* I wish the show was back for Rome 2.

That would be amazing and I would watch it so hard, I loved that show.

Surlywombat
23-08-2013, 02:04 PM
It was pretty common knowledge at the time it was running the Rome engine and CA were involved. The first series actually came out before Rome to so it was our first proper look at the engine.

Smashbox
26-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Is this going to burn my computer down? I have a gtx 460

lordcooper
26-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Is this going to burn my computer down? I have a gtx 460

You'll probably be able to play it on low settings at a decent framerate. I managed Shogun 2 with a crappy integrated card for a while.

Bhazor
27-08-2013, 12:19 AM
The best part of Time Commander was that it lead to Mike Loades getting his own tv series.

Weapons that made Britain (AKA The greatest show 12 year old me had ever seen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As1rGnx9vng

Mohorovicic
27-08-2013, 11:29 AM
But will R:TW 2 have exploding pigs?

Zephro
27-08-2013, 01:15 PM
The best part of Time Commander was that it lead to Mike Loades getting his own tv series.

Weapons that made Britain (AKA The greatest show 12 year old me had ever seen)

VIDEO HERE

Also Mark Urban, the Diplomacy and Defence Editor for the Beed (read WAR editor), got loads of face time. His books are great!

Also Rome is looking sharp, BTW I played Shogun 2 on decent/high settings with a 260GTX, so I wouldn't worry too much with a 460.

DaftPunk
27-08-2013, 03:02 PM
People are overreacting with the specs,game looks like slightly updated Shogun 2,which is perfectly fine by me because shogun looks good.

Smashbox
27-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeah Shogun ran just fine - hopefully it's in that vein.

Maxed out, that game can use quite a bit of power, though.

Lukasz
27-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Am I alone in saying that I barely played the real time aspect of the Total War games? I loved the campaign with a passion and I couldn't trust my crap real time strategy to see me conquer the world. Always wondered what the best approach would be for playing more of the real time stuff without getting frustrated.

same. playing empire. and my skills are more than adequate to handle any small to medium battle but it becomes really tiresome after a while. especially if you have like a half a dozen battles in one turn.

so only fight the battle when computer cannot handle it or loses ridiculous amount of troops in regard to the risk my army faces...

alset85
27-08-2013, 07:06 PM
same. playing empire. and my skills are more than adequate to handle any small to medium battle but it becomes really tiresome after a while. especially if you have like a half a dozen battles in one turn.

so only fight the battle when computer cannot handle it or loses ridiculous amount of troops in regard to the risk my army faces...

For both you and Stevo: play the Paradox games. Everything on the campaign map is more involved and war isn't all there is to do.

Sketch
27-08-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm tempted to preorder from Nuuvem. £22 is not a bad deal, and I've used them before. The only thing holding me back is the problems with Saints Row IV and the region locking. Any thoughts?

Fanbuoy
28-08-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm tempted to preorder from Nuuvem. £22 is not a bad deal, and I've used them before. The only thing holding me back is the problems with Saints Row IV and the region locking. Any thoughts?

I don't think Sega does that, and IIRC Nuuvem actively tried to provide international keys for international customers once they were made aware of the situation. However, I can't personally vouch for Nuuvem's pre-order service, since I haven't tried it.

sonson
28-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Amazon UK have it for 25. Boxed copy obviously. I bought Saints Row IV instead of pre-ordering Rome, which I don't regret at all, but I'm going to get it this month unless there are huge problems with it, which I don't foresee. Shogun 2 was pretty polished on release.

On tech specs-TW games have always been excellent at scaling. Incredible at full whack but still playable on old machines, I think this is just a shinier version of the same engine so it's probably safe to assume that you'll be able to play at least one notch below the settings you could on Shogun 2.

I always play zoomed out anyway. Only time I really get to see the prettiness is if I record an epic battle to watch back. I'm looking forward to the tactical zooming to that end.

Kiril
28-08-2013, 01:45 PM

I have preordered it from Nuuvem. I have 2 entries in my account for it, one for the game and one for the dlc. I can't say any more than that, but it went well. Lewie from savygamer likes them, and as Fanbuoy says, they have got international keys so noone will get caught.

€25 is too good a price to pass up for it. Just a note, I believe the preorder discount expires in a couple of days, and it will go up by 20 brazillion real or about €6/£5

SirKicksalot
28-08-2013, 08:40 PM
GMG is sending out the keys. Steam pre-load is live, 9.9 GB. Game unlocks at midnight PDT on 3rd September. That means morning in Europe.

Sketch
28-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. May as well go with Nuuvem I think. I would buy a disc but if they do what they did with Shogun 2 and make the disc pretty much useless I don't see a whole lot of point.

Kiril
28-08-2013, 09:52 PM
GMG is sending out the keys. Steam pre-load is live, 9.9 GB. Game unlocks at midnight PDT on 3rd September. That means morning in Europe.

About the preload from Nuuvem on twitter, they have said "It'll be available only on release date." So I don't think there will be a preload from them

Lone Gunman
28-08-2013, 10:27 PM
So I am going to be buying this game regardless of what anyone else says so I figured I would go and pre order it. Where is the best place to rpre-order from taking into account price and any dlc per-order only bullshit.

sonson
29-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. May as well go with Nuuvem I think. I would buy a disc but if they do what they did with Shogun 2 and make the disc pretty much useless I don't see a whole lot of point.

I have Shogun 2 Disc. Means it takes 45 minutes to install rather than about 8 hours…

grasskit
29-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Where is the best place to rpre-order from taking into account price and any dlc per-order only bullshit.

bought for 37$ region free version on plati.ru. already done the preload yesterday. for russion regions only its even less- 17$

other places like Nuuvem or g2play are slightly higher in price but still way cheaper than steam ofc

Sketch
29-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I have Shogun 2 Disc. Means it takes 45 minutes to install rather than about 8 hours…

Try it now. The disc is useless, it installs about 2gb but due to an update they did it still needs to download another 17 or so. More if you have the expansion.

tedesco
29-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I got a pre-order from Nuuvem. Not first time, it is safe.
Also, I am brazilian, but not in brazil so if anyone needs help buying from them just give a shout.

sonson
30-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Preloaded as a motherfucker

Mohorovicic
30-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Back in my days when you wanted to play a game you had to buy it from a shop first, then bring it home and spend half an hour installing it

The shop was uphill and it snowed.

SanguineAngel
30-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Snow? That's nothing. Back in my day your shop was up a cliff and it was raining lava. And when you'd get home your da' would belt you proper good for buying a game with your family's food money.

Also pre-loaded as all hellfire and ready to rock. Pretty much as excited as I get