PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Dishonored

Vexing Vision
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
(For the sake of my british-taught spelling: Dishonoured.)

I don't know anything about it. Will it be shit? Will it be great? I don't even know the people behind it, apart from that dude who apparently did the Deus Ex noone wants to admit existed (which, by the way, is a bit of a shame because on it's own, it wasn't a BAD game at all).

But I know that I loved Arx Fatalis despite all the buggy bits, the unforgivable difficulty curve and the killing myself while trying to fry fish. Several times.

I liked Dark Messiah. I adored Deus Ex for the freedom of choices in each level and the setting.

So, I'm getting a good vibe of the design-minds behind Dishonored, but that's it.

And still I want the pre-order button now. Right now. Full price. Screw that, give me a collector's edition filled with things I'll never even unwrap.

And what about you?

SirKicksalot
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I like Antonov's art, but the GI cover artwork looks too much like HL2. The people at Valve must be facepalming really hard right now.

Arkane means I'll preorder it.

BathroomCitizen
07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
There are times when a man must hope in something. This is one of those times.

Please Dishonoured, be great.

Xercies
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Eh I'll wait until there is a bit more information before I say I want it, it does sound interesting with that Deus Exy feel to it, and the artwork of HL2 was fantastic so call me interested but give me some firmer details.

Anthile
07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Whatever happened to that other Deus Ex-esque game that was on RPS a couple of months ago? Forgot the name.

soldant
08-07-2011, 02:38 AM
but the GI cover artwork looks too much like HL2.
True, but it looks closer to the older concept art/WC Mappack version than the current iteration, back when the Combine were far more invasive and aggressive as opposed to the compartively less harmful Combine in the final game.

QuantaCat
08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Deus Ex 0?

Oof
21-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I know I'm necro-ing a really old thread, but this is where this goes:

http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Dishonored_Wiki

The gf and I, and another guy, have been collecting all the Dishonored info released thus far and dumping it here. One or two things are slightly speculatory, but roughly 98.6% of the info there has been verified in interviews, articles, videos, etc. Have a look. Then proceed to drool.

Voon
21-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Please! All I want is a gameplay preview, Arkane! Just one goddamned preview, pleeeeeease!

JackShandy
21-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow, I didn't know that much info even existed. Oh man, it has big shiny keys hanging off the backs of guards!

Zephro
21-03-2012, 11:44 AM
If they do a UK copy called Dishonoured I will not only take the unusual step of pre-ordering but I would pay 10 more.

Oof
21-03-2012, 11:51 AM
If they do a UK copy called Dishonoured I will not only take the unusual step of pre-ordering but I would pay 10 more.

Ya, it bothers me, too. It would be wonderful if they did use the UK spelling for Europe.

It would be the respectful thing to do, considering that it's set in pseudo-England.

Zephro
21-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Dunno if I'd go as far as respectful, it would just be funny and a bit of a wind up.

Oof
21-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Dunno if I'd go as far as respectful, it would just be funny and a bit of a wind up.

That was me being cheeky.

Please! All I want is a gameplay preview, Arkane! Just one goddamned preview, pleeeeeease!

This would be welcome, too. This seems to be typical of Bethesda marketing people: show pretty pictures first, gameplay later.

TailSwallower
21-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Bethesda publishing doesn't really encourage me very much. The last two games I can think of that Beth published were Brink and Hunted, neither were fantastic, but at the same time that seems to be the fault of the developers - it's not link Brink was rushed out the door, they'd been working on it for years.

But, if they deliver everything they're promising Dishonoured will be a GOTY contender for sure.

Abacus Finch
21-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I'll just repeat what I said in one of the recent comment sections about Dishonoured.

It's looking great (albeit the HL2 vibes are incredibly in-your-face) but I'm being very cautious about the game, very careful. They've made it clear that their working on a number of influences from other games, be it Mirror's Edge, Bioshock, HL2, Thief, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Deus Ex, or god knows what else. It's going to be a tight rope act trying to give each "feature" the depth of the original game whilst trying to make it work with all these other ones. Else we'll be stuck with a game that has all these aspects but none of them really stand out as truly original- much like Spore and its stages.

Keeping my eye on it though.

Smashbox
21-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I really like the graphical quality of those screenshots. They look almost painterly. Smooth.

SirKicksalot
21-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Those screenshots remind me of Undying.

Oof
22-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Those screenshots remind me of Undying.

The art style is very different... What reminds you of it?

Voon
22-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Probabaly because the protag shoots his guns left-handed?

BillButNotBen
22-03-2012, 01:13 PM
It looks interesting, but I'm worried it's going to get a Bioshock type reaction. Some people are going to get hyped about it as another Deus Ex / Bloodlines, but it's going to be essentially all combat/stealth so then there's going to be a "it's not as good as Deus Ex / System Shock" backlash.

Hopefully it's better than Dark Messiah - which seemed like a great idea let down by the implementation.

SirKicksalot
22-03-2012, 05:23 PM
The art style is very different... What reminds you of it?

The mood in the brothel, I guess.

Oof
22-03-2012, 08:36 PM
It looks interesting, but I'm worried it's going to get a Bioshock type reaction. Some people are going to get hyped about it as another Deus Ex / Bloodlines, but it's going to be essentially all combat/stealth so then there's going to be a "it's not as good as Deus Ex / System Shock" backlash.

There is stealth, and there is combat, but there's not much else. At key points in the game your dialogue options do decide the story points, but other than that, it is basically a shoot-/slash-/sneak-em-up. It'll be better than Bioshock, at any rate. I'm not sure about the stealth elements -- Harvey and Raf went out of their way to de-emphasise that aspect of gameplay in the last video. Whether this is just for marketing purposes, or whether that is how they're approaching that element... we'll have to see.

BillButNotBen
23-03-2012, 12:42 PM
That's what i mean. I personally rather liked Bioshock, but it was basically 100 ways to shoot someone (plus some basic stealth). This is looking like 110 ways to shoot/stab someone (plus some basic stealth).

That's ok if that's what you're expecting.... but if you're expecting the 2nd coming of Deus Ex then you might be rather disappointed.

TychoCelchuuu
01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
New gameplay trailer out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITq0hXCCB0). Not a fan of the trailer but the game looks beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITq0hXCCB0

nonadventurer
01-06-2012, 09:33 AM
The game looks great. In a recent interview they described it basically as "Thief, but considerably faster-paced". If stealth gameplay in this actually comes close to Thief, I'll be happy.

QuantaCat
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
It doesnt look like a game of stealth. It looks like a game of "omg Ill kill you from behind". Still fun though.

roryok
01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Whatever happened to that other Deus Ex-esque game that was on RPS a couple of months ago? Forgot the name.

Any more to go on?

ZIGS
01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Why do the character's models look so...bad?

dsch
04-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Excited about the blink (is that what they call it?) ability, the verticality/traversal, the time stopping/bullet bending thing that was being trumpeted a couple months back, possessing rats/people.

Hopeful about the story, based on what little we know and the fantastic design and atmosphere.

Afraid it would turn out to be strictly mission/level based with context-determined abilities that get used once or twice.

Basically, I'm hoping it would be Assassin's Creed minus all the silliness/grindy parts, with cooler abilities, meaningful character development (both narratively and mechanistically), and a story you can care about. Hey, a man can dream.

Edit: I am suddenly very afraid that it would not be open world. Someone tell me it is open world, please! I want to leap across rooftops again! --especially since AC3 is going to be mucking about in forests and whatnot.

khaz
04-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Excited about the blink (is that what they call it?) ability, the verticality/traversal, the time stopping/bullet bending thing that was being trumpeted a couple months back, possessing rats/people.

Hopeful about the story, based on what little we know and the fantastic design and atmosphere.

Afraid it would turn out to be strictly mission/level based with context-determined abilities that get used once or twice.

Basically, I'm hoping it would be Assassin's Creed minus all the silliness/grindy parts, with cooler abilities, meaningful character development (both narratively and mechanistically), and a story you can care about. Hey, a man can dream.

Edit: I am suddenly very afraid that it would not be open world. Someone tell me it is open world, please! I want to leap across rooftops again! --especially since AC3 is going to be mucking about in forests and whatnot.

You do know AC3 is also going to be set in NYC and Boston right? And Ubisoft have clearly stated that the world is roughly 1.5 times larger than Brotherhood's Rome. That's a whole lotta rooftops!

AC3 aside, this really does look good but i'm leaning on the please be good, please be good, please be good angle. I'm just going to wait till it releases.

dsch
04-06-2012, 05:40 AM
You do know AC3 is also going to be set in NYC and Boston right? And Ubisoft have clearly stated that the world is roughly 1.5 times larger than Brotherhood's Rome. That's a whole lotta rooftops!

AC3 aside, this really does look good but i'm leaning on the please be good, please be good, please be good angle. I'm just going to wait till it releases.

Ah, that's good to know. You can never have too many rooftops!

I will sacrifice an unblemished heifer, never-yoked, to pray for the goodness of this game.

goatmonkey
04-06-2012, 11:14 AM

It's not open world and I don't think it has ever been marketed as open world from what I understand it has Hitman type one levels.

Winged Nazgul
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Ya, it bothers me, too. It would be wonderful if they did use the UK spelling for Europe.

It would be the respectful thing to do, considering that it's set in pseudo-England.

Don't you mean it would be the honourable thing to do?

[sorry...couldn't resist]

Voon
04-06-2012, 04:20 PM
From that trailer, I'm getting a System Shock/Bioshock vibe with a little of Dark Messiah. I'm curious about the levels, though. How would it turn out to be? Whether they're going to be open-level or mission-based a la Thief or Hitman, give me a lot of options to approach them and I'll be happy

squareking
04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
So this likely means that Antonov isn't working for Valve and potentially the next installment of Half Life. Or something? That'd be a shame.

Anthile
04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Any more to go on?

I think it was just EYE.

QuantaCat
04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I didnt notice any grindy bits in AC aside from the first one.

Battle Programmer Spike
04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I didnt notice any grindy bits in AC aside from the first one.

Completing it at 100% requires a bit of grind with the feathers and whatnot, but meh. You can ignore these things.

gwathdring
04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
The art style ... is weird. In some shots it looks gorgeous and in others it looks awful and I can't find many that put it in-between. In motion it leans towards seeming messy, off, bland or ugly and in stills it leans towards looking like a gorgeous, stylistically detailed, 3d painting.

Edit: Maybe it's that I like the textures and style, but dislike the effects and lighting either because of quality or preference? That's at least part of it, on closer inspection of the video. I really don't think the lighting works to the style's favor in the most recent trailer, whereas that wasn't as much of a problem in the brothel trailer.

dsch
04-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Completing it at 100% requires a bit of grind with the feathers and whatnot, but meh. You can ignore these things.

I was also thinking of the buy-every-shop-in-town mechanic. That probably stuck in the mind because every time you bought something there was 5 seconds of unskippable glittery renovation-effect.

byteCrunch
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh, what is this, some Dishonored gameplay:

Edit: Now with 100% more YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOogPD2ROI

Sketch
05-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Q: But theoretically somebody could sneak through the entire game
A: Yes, It is possible to play through the game without killing anyone

Hnnnnnnnnngh.

byteCrunch
06-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Some more footage of Dishonoured (correct spelling), the reason I post this is, same level played with a different approach, which certainly boosts my confidence that the game is going to have multiple approaches it promises, also fish possession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLPvFFScXU

goatmonkey
06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
That hud is not very attractive at least the health/mana bar part of it, far from a deal breaker but it just looks a bit pants.

Rii
06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Hmm, so it is actually set in London? In that case the spelling does seem vaguely disrespectful. I say 'vaguely' because of course there is no direct association between the game's title and the location in which it is set.

I write Pearl Harbor as 'Pearl Harbor' regardless of how I spell the latter word in other contexts and, although it has -- shockingly -- never come up, it occurs to me that I would be similarly averse to giving an essay about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor a title that made use of British spelling conventions.

somini
07-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Vision cone and leaning in a 2012 FPS.
Preordering this ASAP.

dsch
07-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Hmm, so it is actually set in London? In that case the spelling does seem vaguely disrespectful. I say 'vaguely' because of course there is no direct association between the game's title and the location in which it is set.

I write Pearl Harbor as 'Pearl Harbor' regardless of how I spell the latter word in other contexts and, although it has -- shockingly -- never come up, it occurs to me that I would be similarly averse to giving an essay about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor a title that made use of British spelling conventions.

It's set in a fictional world. City's called Dunwall (I think, or am I making that up?).

Edit: They cut away from the video just as you're about to take out the target.

footlingsummers
07-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Does anyone know what difficulty levels the demos were on? Enemy AI seems a bit...oblivious.