PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim vs the World starring Jesse Eisenberg

KillahMate
07-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Just completely randomly popped into my head while watching the 30 Minutes or Less trailer.

Eisenberg was of course for the longest time 'that guy that's not Michael Cera'. I'm pretty sure he's a better actor though (he can act out a legitimately cool character, something Cera can't manage). He seems like a closer match for M.E. Winstead (in age and otherwise).

Not Canadian though (Cera's from Ontario), and lacks that specific indie vibe (Cera plays guitar, better than Scott Pilgrim actually).

He just seemed like such a slot-in replacement that it's interesting to ponder the idea. What would he have been like? Would it be a better movie? Worse? Different?

I felt I had to share this with someone. Am I going nuts?

The JG Man
08-07-2011, 12:25 AM
I dunno. Scott Pilgrim was always a reluctant anti-hero who was fundamentally a supportable jerk. I haven't really seen anything with Jesse Eisenberg in to make the distinction, but I can't have seen it being too different, to be honest.

Xercies
08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Nah there pretty much the same person, in fact sometimes I get those two confused. If you told me they were twins or made in a lab at the same time I would believe you.

Also interesting film, it isn't entirily great, it has a lot of problems with it but it isn't entirily bad. I love the whole diolog bits which i think are really funny, the fighting bits go on a bit to long. Could have probably done with cutting the amount of evil exes in half.

NecroKnight
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Scott Pilgrim vs the World, in my opinion one of the dumbest & most confusing films I ever saw. Sure it's got a few good jokes, but generally it's pretty stupid.

Kadayi
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
TBH Michael Cera is at best a supporting character actor not a lead (he just doesn't have that much screen presence), where as Eisenberg impressed me in the social network in that he was able to carry the role of Zuckerberg. However with respect to Scott Pilgrim neither actor would of been particularly appropriate. A far better fit would of been someone like Joseph Gordon Levitt, who proved he can carry a film in 500 days of Summer and more importantly possesses some natural offbeat charm, a quality that is very much Scott Pilgrim. Michael Cera was so asexual and nebbish in the role it was hard to take seriously the notion that Kim, Envy, knives or Ramona would even spare him the time of day. Maybe with his next feature Edgar Wright will think twice about casting his friends in future.