PDA

View Full Version : PC ports that (almost) made you cry

mashakos
24-10-2012, 06:21 PM
The release of Doom 3 BFG brought back memories of ports/remakes where the original was better in execution AND quality than the "remastered" version. Would be interested in getting first hand experiences of a port or remake that was not only bad, it actually could not even match the quality of the original material which was released on inferior hardware.

For me, the ultimate bad port has to be: Metal Gear Solid for the PC
What a terrible, terrible port! The Psycho Mantis scene, the standard bad port tropes (limited config options, bad conrtols etc.) wre bad enough. The most offensive aspect of the port though was the fact that the atmospheric post-processing effects in the original Playstation version that were vital to the storytelling and vision of the game's designer were completely stripped out! I remember reading an interview where the developers justified simply not putting the effort because they were "targetting a wider audience of PC gamers".
There are many ports that are just as bad, but messing up one of the only two modern Metal Gears released on the PC is unforgivable. As a result, the MGS port is officially the worst PC port ever created in my books.

Anyway, share your opinions.

Makariel
24-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Resident Evil 4, obviously. Never tried the MGS on PC but they sound pretty horrid as well.

Unaco
24-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Dark Souls was a pretty poor port. Game was alright though.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Resident Evil 4, obviously. Never tried the MGS on PC but they sound pretty horrid as well.

oh yeah, another big turd! Sadly, while you can pretty much play the Wii version perfectly on a modern PC, the Playstation's MGS version will forever suffer from "shaky walls" because the hardware did not support perspective correction. So you could ignore the PC version of RE4 since the Wii has support for most modern 3D capabilities albeit at a lower resolution, while emulating the PSX version of MGS is still not as good as a proper port would have been.

DaftPunk
24-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV. I was told by the specs page that my computer could run it with ease...

Oddworld: Stranger.

Devil May Cry 3

Onimusha 3

Saints Row 2

MGS 2

mashakos
24-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV. I was told by the specs page that my computer could run it with ease...

Oddworld: Stranger.

Devil May Cry 3

Onimusha 3

Saints Row 2

MGS 2Really? Aside from Saints Row 2, these are all fantastic ports. Sure, they needed a killer PC to run at launch but in the end they delivered on what a port needs to deliver. Especially GTA IV, this game really got better with age.

EDIT: The specs page of any game is a cruel joke on the young and gullible. Just a heads up.

Sketch
24-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Hahaha GTA IV good port ahaha.

gundato
24-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Max Payne 2 and Alan Wake. Very emotional stories.

Finicky
24-10-2012, 07:14 PM
resident evil 4; no mouse support haha!
Saints row 2.:looks like a ps2 gta and needs a supercomputer to hit 30 fps. Everything else about it is janky too from physics to input lag.
Dark souls. :30 fps cap, some shitty locked sub hd resolution, mouse controls a MESS, truely shameful. They are lucky that a community member fixed part of their game for them.
MW2 : ran like shit on all 48xx series amd cards (never fixed), p2p console multiplayer, horrible fov... after cod4 which was a good port this was shameful.
Homefront: broken horrible performance on all amd cards for a month till it was finally patched. Shameful for an ue3 game....

Saint's row 3: just didn't bother with amd users, the game always stuttered and ran poorly on all but the highest end amd gpus (which could barely maintain 30 fps minimum), they never bothered fixing this... I would call ignoring 50 percent of gamer hardware out there a bad stupid port.

Ubishit:
From dust... 30 fps, no 1600x1200 support, shitty mouse controls
Driver SF: 30 fps lock, no wheel support, ps2 graphics with ps3 cars, no monitor support outside 60hz
rayman origins: no support for anything but 60 fps like most other ubisoft games... nor for any none 16:9 resolutions (other resolutions will just cut off part of what's on screen, which is retarded in a platformer).

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Hahaha GTA IV good port ahaha.

hey, this game ran great at launch for me (except for the lack of AA). Two years later, it looks like this after mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjsMRDPrls

Yeah, I want all PC ports to be like GTA 4. Screw the low end PC gamer!

Finicky
24-10-2012, 07:21 PM
hey, this game ran great at launch for me (except for the lack of AA). Two years later, it looks like this after mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjsMRDPrls

Yeah, I want all PC ports to be like GTA 4. Screw the low end PC gamer!.

What this video doesn't show is all the horrible shadow flickering and glitching.... (carefully selected shots and fragments)
ENB looks good in screenshots but not when you play it.

Anyhow, people whine about gta4 performance because the LOD slider on xbox is turned to 1 by default... and the pc one to 40.
Turn down the draw distance slider to console settings and it runs at twice the framerate.

db1331
24-10-2012, 07:22 PM
All I know about GTA IV is, my PC at the time had several times the power of an Xbox 360, yet the game was literally unplayable. I'm talking 1-2fps.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:23 PM

What this video doesn't show is all the horrible shadow flickering and glitching....
nah, it looks great. You're doing it wrong(C). BTW, that is a video if you hadn't noticed, not a screenshot.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:26 PM
All I know about GTA IV is, my PC at the time had several times the power of an Xbox 360, yet the game was literally unplayable. I'm talking 1-2fps.

Intersting. My PC had about twice the power of an xbox 360, and ran it like a dream. Obviously I had half the settings at 50, otherwise yeah it would slow to a crawl if I jack up everything to maximum. Then again, jacking up the settings just adds more people and cars on the screen - doesn't increase the quality of the gfx.

Internet
24-10-2012, 07:29 PM
FF7. It needed a fan patch to even progress past the chocobo races.
GTA games. The helicopter keyboard controls show the complete lack of effort.
Ultimate Spiderman. Uses a button mashing system that doesn't work on the mouse.
Shank. Twin stick shooters are harder to play on PC, but the default controls made what should have been a slight difficulty increase far, far worse. Switch the attacks to number pad and its an entirely different game.
Super Meat Boy. They have those incredibly annoying "controllers are the best things ever" splash screens.

These are all just from the consoles, a flood of iOS games have been coming.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Driver SF: 30 fps lock, no wheel support, ps2 graphics with ps3 cars,

whoa, I am now worried! Have this game sealed and tucked away for a long holiday - are you telling me the port does not match even console level quality?!

DaftPunk
24-10-2012, 07:32 PM
What the heck men,how can you say it was a good port at release when it didn't worked on HIGH END computers in 2008,jeez..

Also whats with saying DMC3,Onimusha 3,Oddworld,SR2 were good ports o.O

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:36 PM

come on! I played Max Payne 2 on a completely craptastic machine - a Pentium 3 "equivalent" Celeron 300mhz with a Geforce 4 MX. Looked 10 times better than the consoles, moue control was excellent and it ran like a dream. Ditto for Alan Wake. What happened on your end?

Vandelay
24-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Care to elaborate? I thought that both of those were pretty excellent ports (was MP2 even a port?)

Then again, I never really understand the whining about RE4. I had never touched the other versions though and I also played it solely on a pad.

Dariune
24-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Far too many these days ...

Skyrim
Oblivion
Jade Empire
The Last Remnant
XCOM (OK not a port but blatantly with console optimised controls)
Saints Row 2

And many more which have been lost to the land of medeocrity.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:42 PM
What the heck men,how can you say it was a good port at release when it didn't worked on HIGH END computers in 2008,jeez..

Also whats with saying DMC3,Onimusha 3,Oddworld,SR2 were good ports o.O

I don't know, this game ran perfectly for me and my PC gaming pals. In 2008, I had a fairly mid-range PC: Core 2 duo E8400, 4GB ram, 8800GTX. Game ran great.

The same was true for DMC3 and Onimusha 3. Had a mid-range machine and both games ran great: AMD Athlon 64 2Ghz, 1GB ram 6800GT. In fact, I would show DMC3 to my console fanboy friends to show them how amazing DMC3 looked in 1600x1200. The controls were quite bad in DMC3 but as a PC gamer it is expected, I already had joy2key opened after I installed the game just in case.

Stranger's Wrath was bad at first, but you can't deny that JAW worked really hard for a year and kept in communication with the fans on Steam. Now Stranger's Wrath has an HD version for free to anyone who bought the game. I can't say that is a lazy port, at least not like RE4 or MGS.

SR2 I know nothing about.

Mohorovicic
24-10-2012, 07:46 PM
hey, this game ran great at launch for me (except for the lack of AA).

http://codinghorror.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ff992970c-pi

Others weren't so lucky. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-7g9VIxnHk)

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:51 PM
http://codinghorror.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ff992970c-pi

Others weren't so lucky. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-7g9VIxnHk)yeah that definitely looks like a gpu ram deficiency. The guy who made that video made a HUGE mistake by buying a needlessly expensive quad core cpu and motherboard, then going for the cheapest dx10 88xx gpu out there.
Proof that the 8800gts was a complete rip-off. Good thing I had an 8800gtx, that gfx card was worth it's weight in gold. People can play Battlefield 3 on ultra settings using it, a card from 2006!

Sparkasaurusmex
24-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Agree with most of what's listed here (GTA IV ran horribly for me, also) but I never really considered Max Payne 2 to be a port. I suppose it was, but it certainly didn't have all those port problems... mouse and keyboard were fine, textures were probably the highest of any game at the time, and it let me quick save. Plus it was heavily modded over time.

I can't really think of a "worst" port. For me they all have the same problems: control issues, fat icons covering the whole screen, the whole screen only showing a 60 degree viewing angle, various graphical issues depending on the game. Mostly the big peeve with ports stems from control issues.

Certainly not the worst port, but I should mention Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. A fun game in it's own right, but it has one really strange symptom of portiness... you can fire these rockets that you remote control by using an analog stick on the controller, or by aiming it with your mouse. Controlling it with the analog stick is basically broken but using the mouse is extremely precise and comfortable. Alone that isn't weird, but this was ported from a system that uses the controllers exclusively and presumably controlling those missiles with an analog stick worked just fine before the port to PC.

gundato
24-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Care to elaborate? I thought that both of those were pretty excellent ports (was MP2 even a port?)

Then again, I never really understand the whining about RE4. I had never touched the other versions though and I also played it solely on a pad.

I am mocking the thread by pointing out how much I loved those games and how the content made me tear up, rather than just whinging about not liking a port.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I am mocking the thread by pointing out how much I loved those games and how the content made me tear up, rather than just whinging about not liking a port.

oh yeah, forgot to add BAD PC Ports in the title...
EDIT: Oh I remembered, that sounded redundant to my ears.

Finicky
24-10-2012, 08:52 PM
whoa, I am now worried! Have this game sealed and tucked away for a long holiday - are you telling me the port does not match even console level quality?!

Play some hot pursuit, then play driver SF, then play some hot pursuit again... then play some driver SF again.
You can do this endlessly and be shocked every single time. The cars look quite nice but the environment, ouch ouch ouch.

@ gta4 video, I know, but he carefully selects his shots to leave out the flickering shadows (and in many videos of icehancer you still see them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PY3s8iQpaA
Driver SF

Nalano
24-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Max Payne 2 worked great on the machine I had when I first got it.

Not so much now.

bad guy
24-10-2012, 09:35 PM
After the first few patches (and updated nvidia/ati drivers) GTAIV was fixed.
Which I find quite acceptable for such an extensive game.

It runs smooth on a C2D E8400(dual core)3,5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8800GT 512MB @medium settings 1280x1024

Moraven
24-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Far too many these days ...

Skyrim
Oblivion
Jade Empire
The Last Remnant
XCOM (OK not a port but blatantly with console optimised controls)
Saints Row 2

And many more which have been lost to the land of medeocrity.

The Last Remnant runs x10 better on PC than the Xbox version. Wish I knew before I had bought it used. (got it one of the numerous Steam sales.)

mashakos
24-10-2012, 09:42 PM
The Last Remnant runs x10 better on PC than the Xbox version. Wish I knew before I had bought it used. (got it one of the numerous Steam sales.)

puzzled by that as well. You need to do some ini editing and force vsync to get the quality up to PC standards, but otherwise the port is great with extensive controller and resolution support. It is an UE3 game after all. This is on nvidia, maybe ati users weren't as lucky? Curious to know if this is the case.

Xari
24-10-2012, 09:44 PM
yeah that definitely looks like a gpu ram deficiency. The guy who made that video made a HUGE mistake by buying a needlessly expensive quad core cpu and motherboard, then going for the cheapest dx10 88xx gpu out there.
Proof that the 8800gts was a complete rip-off. Good thing I had an 8800gtx, that gfx card was worth it's weight in gold. People can play Battlefield 3 on ultra settings using it, a card from 2006!

I ran GTA 4 on a factory-clocked GTX570 with a dual-fan cooler and 2500k for processor (and 8 gigs of RAM). It performed like shit for me too (I could play it - but it was still shit compared to some much better looking games) and it had jaggies EVERYWHERE without using a mod like ENB to force AA into the game. You really can't pin this on individual problems - GTA 4 is pretty universally regarded as a poor port, and people having modded the game to compensate for that doesn't invalidate that.

gundato
24-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Max Payne 2 worked great on the machine I had when I first got it.

Not so much now.
What problems are you running into? The only one I am aware of is an issue with sound, and there is a fix on the Steam forums.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I ran GTA 4 on a factory-clocked GTX570 with a dual-fan cooler and 2500k for processor (and 8 gigs of RAM). It performed like shit for me too (I could play it - but it was still shit compared to some much better looking games) and it had jaggies EVERYWHERE without using a mod like ENB to force AA into the game. You really can't pin this on individual problems - GTA 4 is pretty universally regarded as a poor port, and people having modded the game to compensate for that doesn't invalidate that.
what do you mean by "shit"? I was getting 60fps on a much lower spec. Are you referring to AA? Other than that, no other game had the scale of GTA 4. Which is in it's own way more beautiful than the standard corridor shooter.
EDIT: you just convinced me, I will post a video of GTA IV running at 1080p with icenhancer 2.1 tomorrow. On a GTX580 (close to your gtx570)

Splynter
24-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I had my laptop fall onto the ground with a mouse plugged into one of its USB ports. It landed right on the plug in for the mouse, and screwed up my USB ports. I was pretty heartbroken, as I could no longer plug anything into my laptop: no mice, no external hard drives, no joysticks, nothing! Or so I thought. It turned out that on the OTHER side of the laptop was an E-SATA port, which I had not realized doubled as a USB port. I have trouble when I need to plug in multiple USB devices, but for the most part things are fine. Tears avoided.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I had my laptop fall onto the ground with a mouse plugged into one of its USB ports. It landed right on the plug in for the mouse, and screwed up my USB ports. I was pretty heartbroken, as I could no longer plug anything into my laptop: no mice, no external hard drives, no joysticks, nothing! Or so I thought. It turned out that on the OTHER side of the laptop was an E-SATA port, which I had not realized doubled as a USB port. I have trouble when I need to plug in multiple USB devices, but for the most part things are fine. Tears avoided.

-1. Nobody calls a usb port a PC port. That's as bad as calling a PC desktop a "hard disk". n00b!

Sketch
24-10-2012, 10:17 PM
GTA IV is a terrible port because it is so inconsistent with what it works on. I don't think I could even max it on my current rig and get constant 60FPS.

ShowMeTheMonkey
24-10-2012, 10:43 PM
GTA IV. For the past two rigs I've owned I've never managed to get it to be playable (Micro stuttering and constant hanging).

Gorzan
24-10-2012, 10:50 PM
I think some people here are confusing porting with ibad interface and bad optimisation.

Sketch
24-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Surely if something is badly porting that can mean badly optimised for PC hardware.

Drake Sigar
24-10-2012, 11:48 PM
FF7. It needed a fan patch to even progress past the chocobo races.

Aside from that one game-breaking bug, wasn't it a pretty good port? I just played it on PC not three months ago.

fiddlesticks
24-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Much as I love it, Alpha Protocol was a pretty shoddy port in parts. I heard terrible things about FF VII and Resident Evil 4 as well, though I thankfully never played their PC versions.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Aside from that one game-breaking bug, wasn't it a pretty good port? I just played it on PC not three months ago.
two words: pixellated backgrounds. At the time, I hadn't seen that level of blockiness since the VGA days. Horrible!

Gorzan
24-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Surely if something is badly porting that can mean badly optimised for PC hardware.
Certainly, but some people seem to think that bad optimisation is always related to porting.

doctor_roxo
25-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Red Dead Redemption, but only cause it never was ported. the pc community is missing out mods would make this one of the best games ever.

ado
25-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Mark another one for GTA4.

It is one of my favorite games of this console generation and probably my most played console game. I bought the PC port the day it came out and I couldn't get it to run properly until like two months ago, when I upgraded my PC. AND IT STILL FUCKING STUTTERS FROM TIME TO TIME!!!

/sob

Flint
25-10-2012, 09:25 AM
two words: pixellated backgrounds. At the time, I hadn't seen that level of blockiness since the VGA days. Horrible!
I'd also imagine the fact that the PC port's music was entirely in MIDI instead of the original sound files was somewhat of a kicker, considering how highly rated the OST tends to be.

Mohorovicic
25-10-2012, 09:40 AM
They included Yamaha Software Synthesizer on the install disc. Made it sound roughly like the PSX version.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 10:16 AM
GTA4 was a bad port. It's better now than it was on release after patches and updates and looks better if you use a fan made patch, but you can't say it's a good port because it looks great now. The ICE package is fan made. That's like saying Skyrim is a great port because there's a community made mod to fix the user interface. Skyrim is a decent port, but it's UI is horrible. I don't know how many times I've selected the wrong text because it couldn't understand scroll wheels and cursor position.

I found AC2 to be a lazy port because they weren't bothered to change the on screen controls if you're using a keyboard. QTEs would show up as "press this green circle button which is obviously A on the xbox controller but could be anything on your keyboard!" and weapon selection would show as "press left on the dpad".

RAGE was a bad port from what the videos showed.

Avish
25-10-2012, 11:19 AM
They included Yamaha Software Synthesizer on the install disc. Made it sound roughly like the PSX version.

I remember it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.
I played half the game without music because the MIDI refused to work mid-game.

Othe than that, I don't recall any other issues with the PC version of FF7.

soldant
25-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Chalk up another one for GTA IV. Got it on release, ended up being unplayable. Plus Rockstar bundled their friggin' social club with it which made things much worse. It was an abysmal port.

coldvvvave
25-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I tolerate a port as long as it runs ok and controls are adequate. FOV slider is a big bonus.

From recent memory:

Tiny FOV:
Saints Row 3 ( fixed by fans)
Batman Arhkam City( fixed by fans but IIRC I had to renew config file every time I lauched it)
Dark Souls ( not sure if it was ever fixed, resolutions are now changeble but FOV I don't know)
Skyrim ( fixed by fans)

Terrible controls:
Batman Arhkam City( I didn't like the game and combat itself though, maybe it's not port's fault)
Dark Souls
Alpha Protocol
Assassins Creed 2( press "foot symbol" to run and jump)
Front Mission Evolved( well it's just a bad game really)

Unusable UI:
XCOM( ok I love XCOM but its a pain to use inventory, combat UI isn't very good either)
Dark Souls
Alpha Protocol
Skyrim ( partially fixed by fans)
Fallout New Vegas( partially fixed by fans)

Optimisation problems:
GTA4
Front Mission Evolved
Dark Souls

Dark Souls wins easily.

mashakos
25-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I ran GTA 4 on a factory-clocked GTX570 with a dual-fan cooler and 2500k for processor (and 8 gigs of RAM). It performed like shit for me too (I could play it - but it was still shit compared to some much better looking games)

@ gta4 video, I know, but he carefully selects his shots to leave out the flickering shadows (and in many videos of icehancer you still see them)

Ok, here's a video I captured of GTA 4 running with mods at 60 fps. Excuse the lack of audio, forgot to switch audio output to hdmi before recording. Watch in 1080p on youtube to get the full quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQM5FiBfO0

As you can see, the game looks fantastic for an open world title, and it runs like a dream.

Sparkasaurusmex
25-10-2012, 02:52 PM
That video reminded me of another problem with the GTA IV port: When I'm using mouse for camera control, don't force camera movement on me! I hate it in driving games where it thinks you need your vision snapped back.

Anyway, GTA IV runs much better now, but it was still (IMO) a bad port.

Labbes
25-10-2012, 02:55 PM

This made me laugh, best post in the thread!

To not get completely off-topic, I'll just say DX:HR, because it had those terrible stuttering problems which took them two weeks to fix, and I don't care enough about the game to actually revisit it.

Edit: It was indeed a problem with ATI cards, and there was a huge (and I mean HUGE) thread in the steamforums about it.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 02:59 PM
This made me laugh, best post in the thread!

To not get completely off-topic, I'll just say DX:HR, because it had those terrible stuttering problems which took them two weeks to fix, and I don't care enough about the game to actually revisit it.

Never heard of that. I ran on a Nvidia card, but that game was built around Ati and I still have no issues. Not saying you're lying though!

I've always wondered whose fault is it when it comes to some of the issues with ports.

Something like the UI or control scheme is obviously the devs fault. But when it comes to things like graphical issues, eg the new Borderlands had an issue with ATI cards if you turned off Physx which caused the screen to black out completely if you went down until someone started picking you up. Is that the devs fault or is that the fault of the GPU manufacturers. Or in that case are they both to blame.

mashakos
25-10-2012, 03:07 PM
That video reminded me of another problem with the GTA IV port: When I'm using mouse for camera control, don't force camera movement on me! I hate it in driving games where it thinks you need your vision snapped back.

Anyway, GTA IV runs much better now, but it was still (IMO) a bad port.

I actually prefer it that way, since I usually drive cars using a gamepad.

Shooop
25-10-2012, 03:28 PM
GTA IV.

In terms of performance I had no problems. But I couldn't get mods working and that was my entire reason for playing it.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 03:39 PM
GTA IV.

In terms of performance I had no problems. But I couldn't get mods working and that was my entire reason for playing it.

That doesn't make it a bad port. That's either the mods fault or your fault.

Sketch
25-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Again GTA IV wasn't a poor port because it didn't run on anyone's computer, it was so damn inconsistent and would work better on some computers than others, even if the specs didn't reflect that.

mashakos
25-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Again GTA IV wasn't a poor port because it didn't run on anyone's computer, it was so damn inconsistent and would work better on some computers than others, even if the specs didn't reflect that.

The reason for that is the fact that the game requires very specific ini file variables to keep the game functioning within the limits of the system's memory.
It's unfortunate that Rockstar didn't aknowledge this by releasing some kind of a utility that auto-configures everything for those not prepared to spend hours going through online tutorials. I still can't use that as a reason for labelling this game as a bad port.

A "real" bad port would have these game breaking settings within the game's compiled binary, making the game forever broken and unfixable. Rockstar employed a more open approach similiar to Id and Epic which is commendable in this age of console ports where even the resolution is gimped (Dark Souls).

Trust me, GTA IV can work on anything with a dual core and an 8800gtx equivalent - you just needed to do a few changes to a text file.

In any case, if you check my video above, compare that to an actual bad port like say, Ninja Blade and tell me the quality of GTA IV's performance, configuration options or presentation is poor.

Xari
25-10-2012, 06:44 PM
In any case, if you check my video above, compare that to an actual bad port like say, Ninja Blade and tell me the quality of GTA IV's performance, configuration options or presentation is poor.

The quality of GTA 4's performance, configuration options and presentation options are poor.

Just because you can go out of your way and modify .ini files and force basic stuff like AA through your graphic driver's control panel doesn't make it a better port. I had to tweak a lot of things for the first Borderlands to make it playable on PC, doesn't make it any less of a bad port; this is not how it works.

gundato
25-10-2012, 06:47 PM
The quality of GTA 4's performance, configuration options and presentation options are poor.

Just because you can go out of your way and modify .ini files and force basic stuff like AA through your graphic driver's control panel doesn't make it a better port. I had to tweak a lot of things for the first Borderlands to make it playable on PC, doesn't make it any less of a bad port; this is not how it works.
Yup. Dark Souls is not a good port* even though you can fix all graphical problems with a VERY simple third party tool.

*: By the definition in use in this thread. I for one feel it is a good port, but still disappointing. Because it provides an experience of comparable quality as the original platform. And with the aforementioned tool, it is a MUCH better experience.

Sketch
25-10-2012, 06:51 PM
The reason for that is the fact that the game requires very specific ini file variables to keep the game functioning within the limits of the system's memory.
It's unfortunate that Rockstar didn't aknowledge this by releasing some kind of a utility that auto-configures everything for those not prepared to spend hours going through online tutorials. I still can't use that as a reason for labelling this game as a bad port.

A "real" bad port would have these game breaking settings within the game's compiled binary, making the game forever broken and unfixable. Rockstar employed a more open approach similiar to Id and Epic which is commendable in this age of console ports where even the resolution is gimped (Dark Souls).

Trust me, GTA IV can work on anything with a dual core and an 8800gtx equivalent - you just needed to do a few changes to a text file.

This doesn't make it a good port, it shouldn't work how it does, and I've never been satisfied with how the PC version runs. I'm sure there are worse ports, but this is still a bad port.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 07:00 PM

That would be a broken port, not a bad port. You wouldn't call a broken lock to a door bad, you'd call it broken. GTA4 was a bad port. If it had of been a good port, then Rockstar would have included an autoconfig tool for the .ini file so people didn't have to spend hours configuring it themselves. It would have worked out of the box, which in a lot of peoples cases it didn't.

And you can't keep using ICE as a defense for GTA4 being a good port. That's a 3rd party tool, made years after the release of the game with no direct work from Rockstar. Rockstar didn't make the graphics in GTA4+ICE look so good, the dude behind the mod did.

You may as well start giving credit to Valve for making Counter strike because they made the source engine, even though they didn't actually make Counter strike.

mashakos
25-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Let me clarify something: maxing out view distance, detail distance and vehicle density will break the game on all but the most ridiculously overspecced PCs (http://youtu.be/y2SDIvfYgHg) out there. So you can play the game on a dual core with 4gb ram if you don't max everything out. I did and was getting a stable 60fps at a resolution of 2560x1600 when the game launched. It looked great too, in spite of the lack of AA (these shots are from 2009):

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2559/71300239ix5.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/966/27436960dl9.jpg
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/3661/13547473ak4.jpg

What I'm referring to in my post is where you actually want to max everything out and want to fine tune gta 4 so that it streams content at a rate that your PC can handle. Again, maxing out everything is not needed. I think maxing out all the settings is what got people confused into thinking the game was broken somehow

mashakos
25-10-2012, 07:06 PM
And you can't keep using ICE as a defense for GTA4 being a good port.
read my last post, and look at the screenshots I posted.

sk2k
25-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Deus Ex: IW and Thief: Deadly Shadows
The limited memory on the XBOX was bad for these games. Tiny levels.Too much loading screens.

Nalano
25-10-2012, 07:56 PM
What problems are you running into? The only one I am aware of is an issue with sound, and there is a fix on the Steam forums.

Last I checked, CTD on startup. When it worked, way back when, I was still on an x86 XP rig.

Internet
25-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I tolerate a port as long as it runs ok and controls are adequate. FOV slider is a big bonus.
Alpha Protocol
Fallout New Vegas( partially fixed by fans)

How was New Vegas' inventory bad? I found it perfectly usable (and didn't see much that would be console oriented) if a bit too stylized for my taste.

I think Alpha Protocol was just a bad game in general (with an interesting plot).

Doesn't Dark Souls just run poorly on everything?

Prokroustis
25-10-2012, 09:08 PM
How was New Vegas' inventory bad? I found it perfectly usable (and didn't see much that would be console oriented) if a bit too stylized for my taste.

Same case with bethesda UIs in general. Console oriented for obvious reasons. Compare defeault ones with popular mods.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34902#
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3863

Xari
26-10-2012, 05:27 AM
read my last post, and look at the screenshots I posted.

Look, please stop assuming everyone else is stupid and be open to the possibility that your precious game was a bad port, man. I'm not computer illiterate; I actually know the options I use and spend plenty of time tweaking and modding the games I can, hence why I play on PC, but GTA 4 still ran relatively bad even AFTER tweaks for me compared to some games with much higher fidelity (such as STALKER CoP). I'm sure the same goes for a lot of people who browse this forum, PC gamers tend to be enthusiasts who have atleast basic knowledge on the technology behind their games and know how to google for optimization guides. You've seen how many people already posted that point to GTA 4 as an example of a poorly done port, are you really going to attribute all of this to a max distance rendering slider?

It's frustrating for people when you keep implying the issues are entirely on their end and what they have been playing was, in fact, a good port when it clearly wasn't. It's also kind of condescending.

Internet
26-10-2012, 06:08 AM

The second you have to open up txt files to make changes to a game that the developers could have reasonably assumed that people would want to make, it's a bad port. I only have to play around in text files to make games better when they are bad games, bad ports, or just old.

A user shouldn't be expected to adjust values manually even though they can.

DaftPunk
26-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Someone wants to go through installation process for GTA4 for me,i'll pay him haha,i can't bare that long instal..

colinshark
26-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I was thoroughly disappointed with Dead Space for PC, mainly the rubbery awkward controls. Makes me sad that good games are built for consoles first :(

Finicky
26-10-2012, 01:43 PM
idk why i keep hitting reply instead of edit

Finicky
26-10-2012, 01:46 PM
That would be a broken port, not a bad port. You wouldn't call a broken lock to a door bad, you'd call it broken. GTA4 was a bad port. If it had of been a good port, then Rockstar would have included an autoconfig tool for the .ini file so people didn't have to spend hours configuring it themselves. It would have worked out of the box, which in a lot of peoples cases it didn't.

And you can't keep using ICE as a defense for GTA4 being a good port. That's a 3rd party tool, made years after the release of the game with no direct work from Rockstar. Rockstar didn't make the graphics in GTA4+ICE look so good, the dude behind the mod did.

You may as well start giving credit to Valve for making Counter strike because they made the source engine, even though they didn't actually make Counter strike.

Well they tried to make counter strike twice:p and both times they didn't get what made cs good:p

Also I feel the need to distinguish gta4 from bad LAZY ports.
The game has a myriad of configuration options, is very modable, looks WAY better on pc even vanilla and has proper m/k support.
These important things have become so rare (especially all combined) that rockstar earns a LOT more credit for gta4 than say ubisoft does for from dust, or the clowns who made dark souls do.

soldant
26-10-2012, 01:48 PM
The game has a myriad of configuration options, is very modable, looks WAY better on pc even vanilla and has proper m/k support.
These important things have become so rare (especially all combined) that rockstar earns a LOT more credit for gta4 than say ubisoft does for from dust, or the clowns who made dark souls do.
Maybe, but it was so poorly optimised and included that horrible Social Club bullshit that it doesn't change the fact that it was still a bad port on release.

Finicky
26-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Maybe, but it was so poorly optimised and included that horrible Social Club bullshit that it doesn't change the fact that it was still a bad port on release.
Shades of grey and all that.
I'll take social club bullshit over ubisoft quality ports. (with uplay bullshit on top)

Sketch
26-10-2012, 02:24 PM
And the PC version only looks much better with the icenhancer thing. There are definitely better examples of multiplatform games looking way nicer on PC.

mashakos
26-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Look, please stop assuming everyone else is stupid and be open to the possibility that your precious game was a bad port, man. I'm not computer illiterate; I actually know the options I use and spend plenty of time tweaking and modding the games I can, hence why I play on PC
I'm not sitting here saying that gta 4 had no problems whatsoever. Even if it ran on my system without issue, I can't ignore the fact that it didn't on a lot of people's PCs all over the 'net as well as the lack of anti-aliasing and dithered shadows - quality issues which needed a dll injection mod to resolve.

GTA 4 however is a simulation with an ambitious scope it's far bigger than almost any game this generation - including the Stalker series. Having been a long time PC gamer, I am more forgiving towards developers who try to push the envelope. Have you heard of Falcon 4.0? That game was a buggy mess when it was released, yet everyone almost expected it to be. People still bought it and took the time to get it running because it offered something unique.
I think GTA 4 is the quintessential PC game in that regard: an ambitious technically impressive game that pushed the boundaries yet wasn't without it's problems.

There's avery simple choice you and others are forcing developres to make: Release a big, ambitious game that has a few bugs that are patched over time. Or release a very limited console port that caters to the status quo yet runs perfectly at launch.

What this means is that if PC gamers are no longer willing to be patient with developers, the next GTA will be a clone of the console version with no ability to increase the complexity of the simulation, alter resolution or do any mods. It will run great on al PCs, but then it will be an exact clone of the consoles.

This is exactly what Doom 3 BFG is.

Look, please stop assuming everyone else is stupid and be open to the possibility that your precious game was a bad port, man. I'm not computer illiterate; I actually know the options I use and spend plenty of time tweaking and modding the games I can, hence why I play on PC, but GTA 4 still ran relatively bad even AFTER tweaks for me compared to some games with much higher fidelity (such as STALKER CoP).

Stalker CoP? While the game had great gameplay that got me hooked after the first hour, the engine pales in comparison to the scale and the beauty that can be unlocked on GTA 4's engine once a mod or two are set up. In fact, it looks worse than some PS3 titles I've payed - which is irrelevant as the game kicks ass.

The second you have to open up txt files to make changes to a game that the developers could have reasonably assumed that people would want to make, it's a bad port. I only have to play around in text files to make games better when they are bad games, bad ports, or just old.

A user shouldn't be expected to adjust values manually even though they can.
That's the thing, when I bought the game it ran fine. I didn't touch ini files, just dialled back a few settings. Are you telling me that you could never get this game to work on a decent system?

Xari
26-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Stalker CoP? While the game had great gameplay that got me hooked after the first hour, the engine pales in comparison to the scale and the beauty that can be unlocked on GTA 4's engine once a mod or two are set up. In fact, it looks worse than some PS3 titles I've payed - which is irrelevant as the game kicks ass.

This is the point where I'm starting to have my doubts whether you had any serious intent from the beginning at all.

DaftPunk
26-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Yet he claims that GTA 4 looks stunning :|

mashakos
26-10-2012, 11:06 PM
This is the point where I'm starting to have my doubts whether you had any serious intent from the beginning at all.

take this screenshot from the complete mod for example:

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/16/15209/xrEngine_2011-01-21_23-22-54-36.jpg

It's good, but it's not Uncharted 3 good.

EDIT: In case you need a point of reference.

http://ps3info.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/uncharted3_231484b.jpg

Sketch
26-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I think Uncharted 3 is a great looking game but I'd still rather proper resolutions + anti aliasing any day.

DaftPunk
26-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Did you seriously post U3 screenshot xD!

If you think that looks impressive you haven't experienced pc games on full settings. ALso for picking up shitty STALKER screenshot,you could post Clear Sky which eats U3 anytime.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4062/xrengine202008091420072we2.jpg

mashakos
26-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I think Uncharted 3 is a great looking game but I'd still rather proper resolutions + anti aliasing any day.
That's not really an argument, we're talking about the quality of the engine. You can play Quake 3 in whatever resolution / AA combination you like, the quality is still below what you get in Uncharted 3.

Did you seriously post U3 screenshot xD!

If you think that looks impressive you haven't experienced pc games on full settings. ALso for picking up shitty STALKER screenshot,you could post Clear Sky which eats U3 anytime.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4062/xrengine202008091420072we2.jpg

Like I said, Stalker CoP with mods i still a good looking game, but character models and the general attention to detail is still a few notches below Uncharted 3.
Crysis with mods or GTA 4 with icenhancer on the other hand have no equal in the console space. The fidelity is just epic:

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6106/148940470.7/0_6d993_4d23d719_XXL.jpg
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6308/126930482.30/0_7b6df_5690e831_XL.jpg

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Sureee screenshots of moded GTA 4 looks good,but funny thing is that game doens't look like that while playing :x

mashakos
27-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Sureee screenshots of moded GTA 4 looks good,but funny thing is that game doens't look like that while playing :x

what?? hmmm. Wanna bet?

dnf
27-10-2012, 01:06 AM
mashakos you forget something important: Stalker is a sandbox and uncharted is a linear scriptfest. Games with linear gameplay have better models and animations in general. Also, GTA is dumbed down if compared with San Andreas. The only advance was in the phisics and graphics but thats it.

soldant
27-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Crysis with mods or GTA 4 with icenhancer on the other hand have no equal in the console space.
That's true, but again going back to the original point, that doesn't mean they were good ports. A third party fan mod doesn't suddenly change the fact that GTA4 was an absolute dog on release, being practically unplayable on some systems (even high end ones) for absolutely no apparent reason. Rockstar deserves zero credit for the work of the mod team. If anything all they deserve credit for is allowing for modding, none of which changes the fact that their port was bad.

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 01:11 AM
what?? hmmm. Wanna bet?

I will punch you in the face.

Sketch
27-10-2012, 01:54 AM
That's not really an argument, we're talking about the quality of the engine. You can play Quake 3 in whatever resolution / AA combination you like, the quality is still below what you get in Uncharted 3.

But then you're just saying look at the pretties and not considering anything else. Uncharted 3 is a linear scripted game and STALKER is not it's engine is actually far more complex, Uncharted 3 is also newer.

And that Uncharted 3 screen is a bullshot.

Finicky
27-10-2012, 03:18 AM
To be fair he isn't wrong about stalker, it is a VERY uneven looking game.
Great heights but also greatly showing age at times, the vegetation never looks good even with complete mod, neither do the interiors of some of the buildings, and the noise filter to add texture detail is a trick that hasn't been convincing since crysis 1.

Lighting in stalker on the other hand is amazing, and weather and nighttime are also incredible.
Stalker COP with complete is the single only game EVER where I felt I was THERE, nothing (NOTHING) comes remotely close for atmosphere.

I used to walk home during summer holidays at our vacation home from a friends house for half a mile through the forest (totally undeveloped there back then) in pitch pitch dark with a flashlight, and stalker is the only game that gives that same feeling of vulnerability and being out away from society.

Comparing stalker to uncharted is bullshit though... One is a giant open world game with large areas and no bullshit, the other is 90 percent smoke and mirrors (2d backgrounds everywhere,linear pathways) and once you take the horrible image quality into account it doesn't look anything like the bullshot.
That 60 fps in engine (done on a pc) trailer that is around somewhere is more impressive.
Also the rest of the game looks far more pedestrian than that little desert scene people always show.

mashakos
27-10-2012, 03:34 AM
I will punch you in the face.
lol. Do you want to see a video of me playing gta 4? I can use this config:
http://www.gtavicecity.ru/gta4/gta4-mods/18229-legacyy039s-enb-20.html
my favourite. Or you can select a config and I'll install it ;)

But then you're just saying look at the pretties and not considering anything else. Uncharted 3 is a linear scripted game and STALKER is not it's engine is actually far more complex, Uncharted 3 is also newer.

And that Uncharted 3 screen is a bullshot.

Sure, Stalker as a game is more complex than any linear PS3 title, I was just pointing out that the details in the game - characters, scenery - are generally of a higher quality in Uncharted 3. Not surprising, look at the money spent in developing each game, production values have to be higher in Uncharted 3. Saying that Stalker is built on a more advanced engine than Rockstar's RAge engine is ludicrous though. There's a reason enbseries and icenhancer look so good, the mods are tweaking the engine's settings. It's not by magic that they can achieve the great quality you see in the shots I posted. Why doesn't Stalker look that good with the enbseries mod? Don't answer that.

mashakos
27-10-2012, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJJg_fiTtc

What this video doesn't show is all the horrible shadow flickering and glitching.... (carefully selected shots and fragments)

no idea what you're talking about there dude.

Xari
27-10-2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJJg_fiTtc

no idea what you're talking about there dude.

Are you actually just selectively blocking out what doesn't fit into your rose-tinted view of GTA 4? That very video you just now linked very clearly had the shadow flickering bug he just described. Maybe you should stop staring at the pimped up cars and look at the environment?

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 12:38 PM
This topic is going nowhere.. CLOSE THIS FUCKER DOWN! :v

mashakos
27-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Are you actually just selectively blocking out what doesn't fit into your rose-tinted view of GTA 4? That very video you just now linked very clearly had the shadow flickering bug he just described. Maybe you should stop staring at the pimped up cars and look at the environment?

show me, in the video, this severe fickering that makes the game unplayable.

Bilbo1981
27-10-2012, 02:27 PM
GTA 4 has to be by far the worst port ever and I still feel angry about this one due to the fact rockstar really seemed like it made a huge effort to screw over the pc fans. I couldn't play it on release it ran like shit and looked like shit it was painful, also it crashed like hell so really I could not bring myself to persist with it at all. The inclusion of the the social club crap also was a violation which shall not be forgiven!

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Ah i don't feel that angry anymore,i got Special Edition at release,for only ten euros haha,one dude from school stole the game and sold it to me..SO yeah..oh i even got razer mouse with game,that dude was awesome *-*

mashakos
27-10-2012, 03:14 PM
That's true, but again going back to the original point, that doesn't mean they were good ports. A third party fan mod doesn't suddenly change the fact that GTA4 was an absolute dog on release, being practically unplayable on some systems (even high end ones) for absolutely no apparent reason. Rockstar deserves zero credit for the work of the mod team. If anything all they deserve credit for is allowing for modding, none of which changes the fact that their port was bad.

Crysis is not a port, and it's a very well made game! Everyone with an 8800gtx enjoyed the demo at 60fps before the game was launched. Of course, the demo was dx9 only as I remember so this was before the Very High nonsense. Compare Just Cause 2's outdoor scenes to the jungle island of Crysis.

The mods for GTA 4 are tweaks, and are not meant to fix anything in the game. In fact, GTA 4's mods put more strain on your system i.e a normally working vanilla GTA 4 can break with an improperly configured mod.
While GTA 4 had problems, I think you're exaggerating a bit when you say that the game was broken and nobody could make it work.

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Is Rockstar paying you for defending GTA 4,i mean its best GTA title to this date,but PC PORT was really bad. Its well known,accept it,don't be afraid.

Allot of people also had problems with rockstar social club and other shitty programs you needed to have for playing the game.

mashakos
27-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Is Rockstar paying you for defending GTA 4,i mean its best GTA title to this date,but PC PORT was really bad. Its well known,accept it,don't be afraid.
What about Oblivion then? I remember the game running at slideshow speeds when it launched. Is that a bad port?
I don't judge a port solely on how I felt when it launched or what kind of PC I had during that time. I look at the effort the developers put into supporting and improving the game after it is aknowledged that it has problems.

A good example of this: GTA 4, tons of patches, press releases and even updates to the configuration screens for normal users
Examples of bad ports:
Metal Gear Solid: half assed port with absolutely no patch support following launch - to include the missing features that were ripped out of the port.
Sonic & Sega All-Stars: Half assed port with no multiplayer and absolutely no patch support post-launch
Prince of Persia: 25mhz screen bug left unfixed, no dlc for PC gamers

Allot of people also had problems with rockstar social club and other shitty programs you needed to have for playing the game.
Not a multiplayer gamer so the social club app, while annoying, didn't stop me from playing the game.

Xari
27-10-2012, 03:33 PM
show me, in the video, this severe fickering that makes the game unplayable.

Check 02:50 - 03:10, for example.

And don't put words in anyone's mouth to make yourself look right in the long run; nobody said it's "unplayable", just that it's a shitty port with a lot of bugs and performance issues.

mashakos
27-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Check 02:50 - 03:10, for example.
not sure, but I think you're referring to some objects in the background flickering. That's because of the detail setting, it's part of the game.Most open world games work like that, far off objects fade from low poly to high poly version. It's known as LOD.

And don't put words in anyone's mouth to make yourself look right in the long run;

ok then let me quote:

show me, in the video, this horrible shadow flickering and glitching.

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 04:17 PM
You realize you destroyed your own thread men,let people express their opinions,no need to die proving them otherwise :D

Sketch
27-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Sure, Stalker as a game is more complex than any linear PS3 title, I was just pointing out that the details in the game - characters, scenery - are generally of a higher quality in Uncharted 3. Not surprising, look at the money spent in developing each game, production values have to be higher in Uncharted 3. Saying that Stalker is built on a more advanced engine than Rockstar's RAge engine is ludicrous though. There's a reason enbseries and icenhancer look so good, the mods are tweaking the engine's settings. It's not by magic that they can achieve the great quality you see in the shots I posted. Why doesn't Stalker look that good with the enbseries mod? Don't answer that.

It's not about looking good, infact it's not even about how good the engine is. I think that yes the RAGE engine is probably better than STALKERS, however that doesn't mean it's not badly ported from the console versions.

Koobazaur
28-10-2012, 02:15 AM
Umm, isn't the very fact you need to mess with *.ini files and custom tweaks the very sign of a bad port? I mean, if the game itself is great and *can* run great, but doesn't on a given platform, it means it's not a bad game, just a bad port to that platform.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Umm, isn't the very fact you need to mess with *.ini files and custom tweaks the very sign of a bad port? I mean, if the game itself is great and *can* run great, but doesn't on a given platform, it means it's not a bad game, just a bad port to that platform.

I honestly think people are exaggerating here. I personally ran GTA 4 with no issues, and almost everyone else was fine with the game after patch 1.0.4.0 to my knowledge. All this talk about ini tweaking and mods is for enhancing the game, vanilla GTA 4 still looked great on PC. It ran at much higher resolutions than the consoles and had higher draw distance and object density.

Sketch
28-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Even if 1.0.4.0 made it perfect, that was still 6 months after release.

Shane
28-10-2012, 08:02 AM
http://ps3info.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/uncharted3_231484b.jpg

Come on, man, that's a just a beautified bullshot that every console game's PR churns out. Uncharted's has shitty textures and looks mediocre up close, the reason why STALKER's graphics may seem rough or coarse is due to the lack of post processing effects.

Xari
28-10-2012, 11:17 AM
not sure, but I think you're referring to some objects in the background flickering. That's because of the detail setting, it's part of the game.Most open world games work like that, far off objects fade from low poly to high poly version. It's known as LOD.

ok then let me quote:

show me, in the video, this horrible shadow flickering and glitching.

No, I know what LOD fade-in looks like. That insanely distracting flickering of the same objects in the video has nothing to do with LOD's, just compare them with the big buildings that DO transfer from a LOD into a regular object.

Maybe you shouldn't have started this thread if you can't bring yourself to admit fault in your favorite PC port. The way you selectively block out opinions and issues makes me mourn that people like you actually exist.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 04:05 PM
No, I know what LOD fade-in looks like. That insanely distracting flickering of the same objects in the video has nothing to do with LOD's, just compare them with the big buildings that DO transfer from a LOD into a regular object.

show me. Post a screen cap of the youtube clip at the exact second where some epilepsy inducing flickering occurs.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Come on, man, that's a just a beautified bullshot that every console game's PR churns out. Uncharted's has shitty textures and looks mediocre up close, the reason why STALKER's graphics may seem rough or coarse is due to the lack of post processing effects.
youtube video url starting at relevant scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uA1IEtwlEcQ#t=3303s)
this looks pretty impressive in spite of the low resolution and lowres textures.

Sparkasaurusmex
28-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Mashakos I have stated that I believe GTA4 was a bad port, but I want to distance myself from others attacking you. It can be fun to argue whether something is good or bad but at this point we just have to reach the conclusion that Mashakos thinks GTA4 is a good port, many others disagree and leave it at that.

(Also thanks for bringing up Oblivion. It was a slideshow at 5 FPS when I first tried to play it. I don't remember but it was probably my hardware at the time, but I did consider it a bad port because it seemed like the six month delay to PC was wasted instead of used to optimize)

Shane
29-10-2012, 03:10 AM
youtube video url starting at relevant scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uA1IEtwlEcQ#t=3303s)
this looks pretty impressive in spite of the low resolution and lowres textures.

That was a cutscene.

mashakos
29-10-2012, 11:51 AM
That was a cutscene.

nope, real time.

Labbes
29-10-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOPBYIo6Kc
Look how impressive Warcraft 3 looks despite nearly being ten years old.
I mean, come on, if you refuse to acknowledge the fact that cutscenes, ingame graphics or not are not a valid argument...I don't know what to say, to be honest. It's way, way easier to optimise a cutscene than "real" ingame stuff.

mashakos
29-10-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOPBYIo6Kc
Look how impressive Warcraft 3 looks despite nearly being ten years old.
I mean, come on, if you refuse to acknowledge the fact that cutscenes, ingame graphics or not are not a valid argument...I don't know what to say, to be honest. It's way, way easier to optimise a cutscene than "real" ingame stuff.

WTF is wrong with you? Can you walk around for 5 minutes in a f*cking cut scene? Get your heads out of your asses guys and re-watch the video.

EDIT:

ACTUAL gameplay:

http://mashakos.com/pers/img/u3/1.jpg
http://mashakos.com/pers/img/u3/2.jpg
http://mashakos.com/pers/img/u3/3.jpg

Labbes
29-10-2012, 12:56 PM
It's a desert with a character model. I could probably play Crysis on Very High settings if it was only a model in a desert. That is not exactly a benchmark for good graphics. Also, you posted a video "starting at the relevant scene", which was a cutscene.

Edit: When he pulls the water out of the well, it's a cutscene. That might be ingame graphics, but it's hardly gameplay.

mashakos
29-10-2012, 01:03 PM
It's a desert with a character model. I could probably play Crysis on Very High settings if it was only a model in a desert. That is not exactly a benchmark for good graphics. Also, you posted a video "starting at the relevant scene", which was a cutscene.
Relevant segment referred to the real-time elements of course.
making a desert in a real-time engine is easy? Sand is one of the most difficult elements to get right in real time.

Regardless, the original point I was making was that STALKER's graphical fidelity, even with mods, was lower than some console titles while Crysis and GTA 4 (with mods) are way above anything consoles can do - and that's insane for open world titles.

Labbes
29-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Regardless, the original point I was making was that STALKER's graphical fidelity, even with mods, was lower than some console titles while Crysis and GTA 4 (with mods) are way above anything consoles can do - and that's insane for open world titles.

I'd say it's in the eye of the beholder, I personally can't stand to play games in less than my native resolution, meaning I'd rate Stalker above Uncharted. This leaves out the lack of AA, which is the other big no-go for me.
But I guess we'll just have to leave it at that, as our tastes seem to differ on that end.

Voon
29-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I played Bastion in PC, last year. It does (almost) made me cry when I saved Zulf