PDA

View Full Version : A Game of Dwarves

Smashbox
24-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Has anyone played it?

I dug into it for a few (too many) hours yesterday. I found it pretty compelling, but it's hard to say how actually good it is. I tend to get way sucked in to this kind of thing. Lacking a bit of polish, perhaps, but the price is right.

I've basically only been playing custom games, not the campaign.

What do you guys think? I never played Dungeon Keeper back in the old days. Does this compare favorably?

Interested to hear others' thoughts.

DevinSmoth
24-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm installing this right now, Smashbox... will report back when I've had some time to play it (probably over the weekend for the most part at the moment as the Guild Wars 2 Halloween stuff is taking a bunch of my time).

jnx
24-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I've played for a few hours. At first I was quite underwhelmed and even bored. Noticing the fast forward button helped a lot though, the normal pace of the game is just a bit too slow. Also the gameplay reminds me more of Minecraft than Dwarf Fortress. It won't win any new fans to the genre but management / builder types should find it enjoyable enough for it's low price.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 08:57 AM
The fast forward button is a must for when you've a lot of tasks lined up. The game is way to slow without using it. I'd have liked to have seen several levels of speed to it, from normal, fast, faster, fastest but it's good enough.

It's not going to win new fans to the genre and it'll never be as good as rose tinted glasses made DK2 (which I still play regularly) but it's helping fill a void.

I agree it could use a bit more polish, but being a paradox game it is as I expected it to be. The fact it ran first time I tried to play it impressed me!

Malawi Frontier Guard
25-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Playing this made me want to reinstall Wiggles, which I just did. It's just as clunky and ugly and slow as this game, but at least it has an actual tech tree and skills and aging dwarves.

EddyGamerLP
01-11-2012, 01:12 AM
I haven't played it but from everything I read and watched about it, it seems to fall short.
I usually like this type of game so I'd love to hear from those who played it here.

DanielSF
01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
From the official forum (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?643382-How-to-Enable-Hidden-Camera-Controls&) (the last line is most relevant):

The features are already built into your copy of the game, you just need to activate them in your user configuration file

\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Zeal Game Studio\A Game of Dwarves\user_settings.config

The Appdata folder is hidden by default, so you may need to show hidden files in Windows.

Make a backup of this file before you do anything else. Like Dwarven science, there are risks involved that can’t be completely understood by those that live above ground. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the sun.

If you open the user_settings.config file in a text editor like wordpad or notepad++ and scroll all the way down, you’ll see a line titled:

“trailer_features_enabled = null"
Change “null” to “true”

Now save!

The camera controls should now be functional.

To toggle free-cam mode, press F8 while in game. You can point the camera in different directions by moving the mouse.

Pressing “WASD” allows you to move around.

You can change the speed with which the camera moves by rolling your mouse-wheel up or down. (mouse-wheel down slows camera speed, mouse-wheel up increases camera speed)

Pressing F8 again will toggle back to normal camera controls, but it will retain the camera speed for camera spin (pressing “Q” or “E”) This will let you do nifty slow spinning shots.

You can also hide the on-screen interface by pressing F9

In addition to all that, you can control game-speed by pressing + or -

DanielSF
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
The fast forward button is a must for when you've a lot of tasks lined up. The game is way to slow without using it. I'd have liked to have seen several levels of speed to it, from normal, fast, faster, fastest but it's good enough.

[Forum ate my reply, so trying again]

I haven't tried this so I don't know how much control over game speed this gives you, but from the official forum (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?643382-How-to-Enable-Hidden-Camera-Controls&): (the last line is the speed change)

The features are already built into your copy of the game, you just need to activate them in your user configuration file

\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Zeal Game Studio\A Game of Dwarves\user_settings.config

The Appdata folder is hidden by default, so you may need to show hidden files in Windows.

Make a backup of this file before you do anything else. Like Dwarven science, there are risks involved that can’t be completely understood by those that live above ground. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the sun.

If you open the user_settings.config file in a text editor like wordpad or notepad++ and scroll all the way down, you’ll see a line titled:

“trailer_features_enabled = null"
Change “null” to “true”

Now save!

The camera controls should now be functional.

To toggle free-cam mode, press F8 while in game. You can point the camera in different directions by moving the mouse.

Pressing “WASD” allows you to move around.

You can change the speed with which the camera moves by rolling your mouse-wheel up or down. (mouse-wheel down slows camera speed, mouse-wheel up increases camera speed)

Pressing F8 again will toggle back to normal camera controls, but it will retain the camera speed for camera spin (pressing “Q” or “E”) This will let you do nifty slow spinning shots.

You can also hide the on-screen interface by pressing F9

In addition to all that, you can control game-speed by pressing + or -

Cooper
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I never played Dungeon Keeper back in the old days. Does this compare favorably?Very different games.

DK is a classic of the Bullfrog-esque management games. By that, it's a game about managing a situation that is constantly pulling apart at the edge.

The dwarves happiness in aGoD is about as close as it gets to that feel. By and large though, aGoD is a much more sedate affair.

Summary between the two:
DK is the better game.
aGoD is the better dungeon building sim.

Well, better in that it's more versatile and has more options for look/feel. DK is, however, has much better art direction.
Go use Dungeon Keeper FX (http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk_keeperfx.php)
Hi res DK is beautiful

Overall I've been enjoying aGoD. But it can get pretty boring. Sometimes though, a gentle game of building is enough.

Smashbox
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I realize that this game is lacking, but still I love it. It's really my own OCD that's pulling me in.

Incidentally, I've built a very impressive, chasm-based, Moria-like affair and played it until my eyes felt like they were going to bleed.

I'm a sucker for slow, plodding things.

Jesus_Phish
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd throw all of you in the temple pools if I got DK3.

You'd all do the same and you know it.

NathanH
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I do like the idea of building big underground complexes, I'm definitely going to buy this when it gets a bit cheaper.

EddyGamerLP
01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I'd throw all of you in the temple pools if I got DK3.

You'd all do the same and you know it.

Yes we would :)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we'l get a worthy successor to DK2 anytime soon...
There's been a couple attempts lately but since they all fell short, they probably didn't sell too well which probably means it'll be a long while before a publisher attempts to do one again.

The indy scene is probably our last hope.

Jesus_Phish
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I think our last hope is somehow the ex-bullfrog guys get together one night when the stars align and manage to get the IP back from EA or EA at least let them kickstarter it for a % of any profits made.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Cooper
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I think our last hope is somehow the ex-bullfrog guys get together one night when the stars align and manage to get the IP back from EA or EA at least let them kickstarter it for a % of any profits made.

But I'm not holding my breath.It's not like DK 1 & 2, Theme Hospital, Startopia don't still exist.

On that note; the KeeperFX link from my above post comes with a dozen fan-prduced campaign packs.

Some of these packs are truly great; better even than the deeper dungeons expansion. Go play!

voxt
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Some Screenshots from the community:

http://www.tedlindstrom.se/agod/screen_1.png

http://www.tedlindstrom.se/agod/screen_2.png

http://www.tedlindstrom.se/agod/screen_3.png

http://www.tedlindstrom.se/agod/screen_5.png

More can be found at: http://steamcommunity.com/app/200370/screenshots

Allow me to quote some of the players: “Played non stop since I got home from college, Can’t wait to play more tomorrow! Amazing game, thanks for making it!”, ”Just wanted to tell the devs how much I appreciate the amount of love they’ve put into this jewel of a game.” or the more modest “Thank you for a great game.” .

Jesus_Phish
07-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Those screens are great!

I've actually found this is a game to be played like Civ 5. On the second monitor while watching a show or between another game.

EddyGamerLP
21-11-2012, 09:10 PM

But I'm not holding my breath.

Hello ?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

Cryptoshrimp
21-11-2012, 09:15 PM
The game is ok as a casual build sim thingie, I guess. They've recently added a cash shop, which makes me less happy about my purchase. You can do some pretty nice things with it, though, as those screenshots clearly demonstrate.