PDA

View Full Version : The thread called: Do you play mobile games?

Smashbox
24-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Rockpapershotgunitizens:

You all like to play games quite a bit, and by-and-large have great taste. Of all the places online where people talk about games, this one generally seems to value the things I value most. And so I ask you:

Do you play mobile (let's say smartphone and tablet) games?

What mobile games are actually good?

There are a lot of sites out there that write about mobile games, but they mostly have a generalist tone. Not that that kind of thing isn't important in sorting the (small amount of wheat) from the chaff. I ask here (on a PC forum, gasp) because I believe you lot have a deeper understanding of the medium and a greater games vocabulary than many games 'news' outlets, especially those specializing in mobile.

Okay, enough flattery. Tell me wot mobile games are the best mobile games.

Also, the degree to which the game is suited to the platform is key in my mind. E.g. Megaman 2 is a fantastic game, one I still like to play, but you would have to be out of your mind to think it would be fun on a phone.

Smashbox
24-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Getting the ball rolling:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions was pretty good. The interface updated sufficiently and performance was great. It's an acclaimed strategy/tactics game and I can see the pedigree, but I bounced off of it eventually, probably due to JRPG fatigue.

Game Dev Story is a charming management game, and pretty fun to play, though the quality of its port is somewhat lacking.

Cardinal Quest is a simple Rogue-like game with a decent amount of variety and replayability. Might be slightly lacking in originality in my opinion.

Trainyard stands out to me as an elegant puzzle game perfectly suited to the platform. Simple, but very well designed. Overall very lovely. I recommend it.

Faldrath
24-10-2012, 07:35 PM
The only one I play with any regularity is New Star Soccer, even though the last update broke the game a bit and the author has gone rather quiet. I did buy King of Dragon Pass but have never found the time to actually learn it - shame on me, I know.

There are some decent roguelikes (Sword of Fargoal comes to mind), and you can also download Frotz and play tons of interactive fiction.

Vandelay
24-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I've recently been playing The Walking Dead on my iPad and it is pretty excellent. My only problem is that I can't find an option to disable the notes feature (the "Kenny will remember that" messages.) Makes it a bit obvious where the forks in your decisions are and pulls you out of the game a fair bit.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I love playing bite sized tower defense / strategy games on my phone, like Anomoly Warzone Earth.
I would love it if proper adventure / puzzle games were released on ios/android. Basically anything from the Amiga era that worked with just a mouse would be amazing on a phone: Lemmings, Darkseed, SCUMMVM games etc.

DaftPunk
24-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I've recently been playing The Walking Dead on my iPad and it is pretty excellent. My only problem is that I can't find an option to disable the notes feature (the "Kenny will remember that" messages.) Makes it a bit obvious where the forks in your decisions are and pulls you out of the game a fair bit.

Are they the same version as console/pc or entierly new for ipad ?

Finicky
24-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I used to play snake on my nokia 3310. Otherwise, no, never.

Vandelay
24-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Are they the same version as console/pc or entierly new for ipad ?

As far as I am aware (not played any other version,) it is identical, except for the lack of the option I mentioned, as well as one that removes the "hotspots".

Patrick Swayze
24-10-2012, 08:50 PM

It's like a match em up crossed with a dungeon crawler. Tad grindy but its great.

eRa
24-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Magic 2013 for the iPad is awesome. It's a little restrictive in terms of deck construction compared to the actual card game, but good fun nonetheless. It also looks gorgeous.

If you like MtG, you'll like this app.

bad guy
24-10-2012, 08:57 PM
PSP It is cheap, has great buttons and lots of games.

GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories, Gran Turismo PSP, Pilot Academy
psp-minis: Pinball Dreams, 4x4 Jam, Drums Challenge, Golf Mania, Blast Off, (PS1) Destruction Derby

vinraith
24-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I have no real use for a smartphone or tablet, and don't buy gadgets as style accessories. That said, I do still have my old DS, and nothing kills the time on a plane flight or in a waiting room like the Etrian Odyssey series.

fuzzy logic
24-10-2012, 09:12 PM
The one I've played the most by far is Bike Baron. You must navigate zany obstacle courses on a dirt bike. The game has a physics engine north of Excite Bike but south of Trials 2 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/16600/?snr=1_7_suggest__13). It's also a lot like Trials 2, except easier to acclimate to. The game has leaderboards and becomes incredibly difficult. Like "I will never beat this game in my lifetime" difficult. The later levels seem impossible to me, especially doing them without falling once.

Gem Keeper is a good, free tower defense game. Has a nice little gimmick of having the ability to move your towers during a wave by pressing and dragging the screen--to keep you awake :). It also has the vital speed-up button, endless mode and difficulty settings. Unfortunately, the game becomes incredibly hard, and a few level have large difficultly spikes out of nowhere. I believe they balanced it this way intentionally to encourage people to buy bombs. They're a limited quantity explosive that one shots creeps in a massive area. In fact, I've wondered if some of the levels are impossible unless you build the one and only solution to them that doesn't require bombs--or perhaps there isn't one. The tower AI can be infuriatingly dumb, but there is a focus fire option (just tap an enemy) to help that out a bit. The game is a fun, challenging tower defense overall.

Other mobile games fun enough to play outside of the toilet and waiting in lines queues: Plants vs Zombies, Squids and maybe, sometimes Raid Leader (the 3/4 view makes it better than Battleheart, imho).

mashakos
24-10-2012, 09:24 PM
PSP It is cheap, has great buttons and lots of games.

GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Vice City Stories, Gran Turismo PSP, Pilot Academy
psp-minis: Pinball Dreams, 4x4 Jam, Drums Challenge, Golf Mania, Blast Off, (PS1) Destruction Derby

while the PSP undoubtedly has an impressive software lineup, I just can't fit it in my life style. I'm waiting to see what Sony does with their mobile division. If they expand on their PS1 lineup and drive PSP devs to port their titles over, my next mobile phone will be an android. My icontrolpad is ready.

bad guy
24-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I have alot of looong train rides, but I also play PSP in bed and on the couch sometimes.

Smashbox
24-10-2012, 09:49 PM
My icontrolpad is ready.

How's that thing? And how's support for it?

mashakos
24-10-2012, 09:54 PM
How's that thing? And how's support for it?

fantastic battery life + blutrol makes it a great accessory. Blutrol maps touch controls on any ios game to the physical buttons, so any game that has an on-screen dpad and buttons works perfectly. Finally, Driver Rayman and Earthworm Jim are playable! Emulator support for icontrolpad is native so neo geo and snes games are fully playable. Fighting games like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter 4 are also finally playable using the icontrolpad. It's a shame that no ios game supports it natively, GTA 3 with analogue controls would have been great.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I have alot of looong train rides, but I also play PSP in bed and on the couch sometimes.

where do you keep it, in a pouch? Or do you carry a bag/backpack normally?

bad guy
24-10-2012, 10:17 PM
It have a PSP-pouch for it. And yes I normaly travel with a bag (truth alert!).
But it also fits in my pocket (with pouch) because my trousers tend to be baggy.

siegarettes
24-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I second Game Dev Story, and add to it Pocket League story. Just be warned that they are highly addictive. World of Goo, Infinity Blade, DoDoPachi and the other CAVE games, Avadon: The Black Fortress and also Frozen Synapse if you have an iPad.

The ones personally cluttering up my iDevice are Canabalt, Eliss, 100 Rogues, sworcery, Jetpack Joyride, Karoshi, Super Crate Box, Scribblenauts, Today I Die, Zookeeper, Ziggurat, Tiny Wings, Fruit Ninja, Solipskier, Sunny Day Sky, and Winterbells.

Of those Karoshi, Sunny Day Sky, Winterbells, and Ziggurat get the most play.

There's also all of those games that appeared in the Humble Android Bundles.

NathanH
24-10-2012, 10:37 PM
My phone is nine years old, so I don't think I'll be playing any games on it.

Smashbox
24-10-2012, 10:48 PM
tons of games

Wow some of these look very cool, Pocket League story in particular.

I tried Hero Academy the other day, and it's got that (near inexcusable) micropayment nag-factor in full effect. The challenge levels were a lot of fun, though. Worth an afternoon (or a couple commutes). The challenge levels are all free.

It seems to me that turn-based (or pauseabe pseudo-turn-based games) are a great fit for mobile.

My best experience with playing a mobile game, in fact, was playing Civ V, which was running on my PC, using Splashtop's streaming software. It was absolutely seamless, functional, beautiful, and totally compelling. The only problem is, you've got to keep your PC on when you're out and about. Not ideal.

What I want most: FTL on iPad.

Internet
24-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Adult Swim has some interesting games. I personally like Amateur Surgeon a lot. I played it as a flash game and then my partner bought it.

Arach
24-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I really don´t,there was a time when I actually bought a few games for my phone a few years ago but there´s really only one that I enjoyed and played through completion,the Doom RPG. It was pretty damn good.

Haven´t really played a mobile game of any description in quite a while now,and I really have no interest in doing so.

Oh,I actually played Hotel Dusk for the DS a bit and I liked it,I guess that´s the exception.

mashakos
24-10-2012, 11:41 PM
A game I really love on the iphone which I can't see myself playing on a big screen is N.Y. Zombies. The music! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxHDNm9T3UM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK17Ded0VjU

fiddlesticks
24-10-2012, 11:52 PM
My phone doesn't even have colour, so my options are limited as far as games are concerned. Which is why I usually carry either a Gameboy Advance or a DS with me whenever I travel.

archonsod
25-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Mainly been playing Elder Sign : Omens. It's a port of the die game:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=187

Henke
25-10-2012, 07:52 AM
I have an iPad and I gotta second Karoshi and Bike Baron. Both good games. But the games I've ended up playing most have been Super Stickman Golf (fantastistic 2D golfing game) and The Little Crane That Could. I know that second one sounds like the title of a children's storybook or something but trust me on this one, the gameplay is anything but child's play. It's a crane simulator with very challenging gameplay, and the physicsengine is absolutely uncompromising. I love it.

and also Frozen Synapse if you have an iPad.

Sadly the iPad version of Frozen Synapse isn't out yet. Last I heard the development of it was knee-deep in bug-hell, but the devs are hoping to get it sorted out and released evetually. :/

Hope they get it working before too long. FS was my favourite game of last year and I would love an iPad version.

c-Row
25-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Some of the games I keep coming back to on my iDevices are...

Drop7 - A clever puzzle game which is hard to explain but great to play once the mechanic 'clicks' with you.

Flight Control - Absolutely simple ruleset, still challenging. A great chaos management game.

Hellsing's Fire - A puzzle game based around a light/shadow mechanic.

MovieCat - It's a quiz game based around movies. With cats.

And the iPad version of M&M: Clash Of Heroes has been anounced earlier this year, so that will be another time sink soon.

frightlever
25-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I've got Settlers, Majesty, Command and Conquer and a bunch of iOS ports of classic PC games on my iPad, and then there are games like Hunters: Episode 1 (tactical TBS), Starbase Orion (space strategy 4X) and Aliens vs Humans (a virtual classic X-COM clone), not to mention countless RPGs ranging from Dungeon Master clones to JRPG clones and every clone in-between.

While I understand some people can't see a need for a tablet, I can't agree with them. They're like those people who don't read, watch television or listen to podcasts because they "don't have enough time". Fair play to them, but I gear my life around being endlessly entertained.

As for playing games on mobile phone - I resent the amount I have to charge the damned thing as it is, so no.

Mohorovicic
25-10-2012, 10:12 AM
No Bantumi on 1280 unfortunately

sonson
25-10-2012, 10:22 AM
All on the Iphone:

World of Goo HD, barely played it on the pc but it's great and lovely even on a smallerscreen.

Rebuild, sort ofdie2nite zombie apocalypse simulator which is fun, focuses more on the peopleyou have and the survival/strategic element rather than the straight upfighting zombies bit who are more of a rumoured threat than an actual presence.Full of rogue preachers and motorcycle gangs and stuff as well.

Ticket to Ride Pocket, which is a pocket version of Ticketto Ride, believe it or not.

Sonic 1 and 2, exactports of the game although a bit fiddly with the touchscreen controls.

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion which is an excellent, andvery hard, turn based strategy game. Follows the Advance Wars formula, probablyabout as much content to it as AW and looks as good. You have to commit to itthough, it’s a full game really, battles take around half an hour at their easiest.

Zombie Dice, which is dumb but good for a bus journey.

Elder Sign: Omens which is an IOS port of the board/dicegame of the same name, Arkham Horror lite basically. Not got into it yet but it’splenty deep for a phone game I tell.

I have a few Fighting Fantasy books but to be honest theylose their charm quickly on IOS, not really sure why. Maybe you need toactually turn the pages and roll the dice by hand for them to work.

All of the above are fun although most of them are more fullon games to be honest, they would lose little/nothing as full, cheap PC games,there's a lot more to them than many of the stuff that was coming out in themid 90's for about a tenth of the price. Ravenmark for example could easilyhave been a full priced release around 2000 or so, looks and plays well enough.World of Goo *was* a full price release only a few years ago. Someoneshould make a Patapon for IOS, that would be more or less handheld perfection. Ihaven’t played as many of them as I would like and am still keen to find someexamples which are light enough to play without also being flimsy, but it’schurlish to complain about something being too rich and good to require morededication than you can give it at the bus stop nonetheless. For their pricethey above are excellent value for what they are.

Oshada
25-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I play a silly amount of Pokémon and Golden Sun through emulation on my Android (I own the cartridges for the GBA but my GBA is long defunct). Regarding actual current mobile things Rayman Jungle Run is extremely good, well worth the $3 or so.

tomeoftom
25-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Apparatus on Android; high-detail/complexity 2.5D Fantastic Machine

c-Row
25-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Elder Sign: Omens which is an IOS port of the board/dicegame of the same name, Arkham Horror lite basically. Not got into it yet but it’splenty deep for a phone game I tell.

Would be interested to know how similar it plays to the boardgame after the changes. I love Arkham Horror.

Beard Of Bees
25-10-2012, 12:25 PM
As much as I love my Android phone, it definitely feels like a bit of a backwards child when it comes to games. Most of the really good ones (particularly adaptations of board games) are iOS only.

I do enjoy Drop 7 (mentioned above) and Triple Town - this is a fiendish little thing that will have you by the goolies if and when it clicks with you.

Androminion is an excellent free copy of the Dominion card game, sadly doomed due to an official version coming soon but brilliantly replayable for the meantime.

Neuroshima Hex is a good adaption of a real-life tile-laying strategy game.

squirrel
25-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I really love to, but I never go back after I put down my Nintendo Gameboy (the version of Black / White screen). They are still too expensive.

For gaming on smart phone, they really should invest more in R&D of battery consumption. Gaming drains the battery like hell. If my boss want to reach me yet my phone is out of battery, I will suffer a death by thousand cuts while back to the office.

sonson
25-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Would be interested to know how similar it plays to the boardgame after the changes. I love Arkham Horror.

There's a short play series on Elder Signs here

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/01/12/elder-sign-omens-dramatis-personae/

Mansions of Madness (Board game) is probably worth a go if you like AH. More haunted house/action orientated but the mechanics are more immediate and less abstract which for me makes it all probably more evocative of actual madness and fear and people losing it. Also plays much quicker.

Battle Programmer Spike
25-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes I do!. My Nintendo DS is my little portable/mobile(if it counts as one for the purporses of this thread) lover when it comes to gaming.

alms
25-10-2012, 03:15 PM
No Bantumi on 1280 unfortunately

Thanks, I was struggling to remember the name of that game after the 3310 comment.

The JG Man
25-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Sonic 1 and 2, exactports of the game although a bit fiddly with the touchscreen controls.

The same goes for the rather good re-release of Sonic CD. On my iPod Touch (first gen) it has a bit of slow-down too. Not sure if that's the game or my device.

There's also Tilt To Live. Not sure if it's on anything other than iOS, but it's a simple game where you have to guide your arrow in a box-arena avoiding red dots. You destroy the dots by navigating your way to various power-ups. Keep the kills going for massive combos and aim for high score. If you get touched by a dot, you die. Sessions can last a few seconds or a few minutes depending on how intense you get into it. Pretty good fun! You might look a bit silly though on the bus trying to move your arms to tilt it though.

I shouldn't forget Doodle Jump either. Incredibly addicting, you have to tilt the device so that your automatically jumping character can safely land on the next highest platform. Avoid monsters, get power-ups to boost your height. Simple and effective.

trjp
25-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I create mobile (and web) games so I guess that's a yes!

I'm firmly of the belief that the best mobile games are written from the ground-up for the format tho - you have, effectively, half a mouse and one button (drag and tap) and so you have to be creative within that.

Yeah, it leads to a tonne of match-3 games - but I don't mind because some of them are really, really compulsive and also work within the time constraints that mobile gaming tends to include.

I don't really know why but iOS's obsession with 'design' has led to some truly fantastic approaches to games/interfaces too - games like Tiny Wings and Spelltower are as much about how they look/feel as how they play (I'm actually not a fan of SpellTower's gameplay - it's clearly popular because it's popular).

I don't see mobile games replacing consoles or my PC,it's just interesting in it's own right. It's a bit like the home computer gaming boom all-over-again, the games don't replace me need to goto the arcade but they bring new things to me (I'd never have played Lords of Midnight in an arcade, would I?)

Outstanding examples?

Dungeon Raid and 10000000 (zeros!?) are fantastic takes on the Puzzle Quest format

Drop7 and it's clones (notably DropZap) fascinate me - if only because I suspect they're actually pot-luck wrapped in 'apparent cleverness' - but I've buried days into them anyway

Fairway Solitaire is more addictive than any game involving cards should ever have been (OK - it was on PC first I think??)

Cave's shooters take something which shouldn't work on a mobile device and make it work to fantastic effect, simply be not being afraid to change stuff - not being stuck with crap controls also helps (hello, I'm talking to YOU, Blazing Star)

Puzzlejuice is my crowning example tho - because it takes all the most popular mobile game formats and slams them into one game, complete with that 'iOS feel' and it makes my brain throb :)

Znea
26-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I bought my iPad pretty much solely based on experiences using one on long flights (got try one while flying across Canada, yearly trips to New Zealand have ensured that it sees continued extended use) so I actually look for games with more depth, which as I understand it is not the regular way to play on a mobile device, but so be it.

So far my favourite game has been Aquaria which I found to be an amazing adaption of the desktop version. It was the first (and so far only) iOS game I've played that didn't feel like it was a scaled back version compared to what I would play on my PC, it has wonderful artwork, beautiful music and sound, the controls felt natural and overall it's just a amazing world to be able lose oneself in. Would definitely recommend headphones.

Have also picked up Avernum: Escape from the Pit which has been fun, but the experience was greatly improved with the addition of a stylus. In fact it was a little annoying without a more accurate pointing device. Still, a fun party based RPG from what I've seen so far.

Game Dev Story is something I dip in and out of while I'm reading or watching movies with a more fun and light atmosphere and better for short play periods, though they can extend when you really get into it.

Magic 2013 has probably sucked more time then I really should let it, but as an ex-Magic player it just scratches the itch enough despite only having prebuilt decks with customization options as opposed to true deck building. Must admit to never actually having played a multiplayer game with it since Cockatrice just works better for that (why can't I cast a lightning bolt during my upkeep damnit). So as a Magic player it has some niggles, but it's still a great transfer of the experience to mobile device, also very pretty.

I've found Save Toshie DX to be a surprisingly popular and fun game for introducing new people to the iPad. Very silly, usually fun to fail and surprisingly easy for people to get into.

I would also shout out to Canabalt, Tiny Wings, DoodleJump, Mirror's Edge as quick dip games.

Pertusaria
26-10-2012, 08:45 PM
On Android and on a small screen, I really enjoyed the free version of Gem Miner, and will be picking up one or the other sequel at some point. It's a nice little resource management game.

I also have Gurk, which is an old RPG from before phones with apps mostly had touch screens. I haven't got very far in it, but it looks like fun.

Jamison Dance
27-10-2012, 01:51 AM
SUPER HEXAGON, by Terry Cavanagh of VVVVVwhatever game is the iOS game that I have played the most. Instantly addictive twitch-action game that is basically a maze game from the TI-89 souped up with color and chiptunes. Wonderful game.

doctor_roxo
28-10-2012, 01:33 PM
If i had an iPad i would very much be looking forward to the Enhanced Edition of Baldurs Gate that is coming out. but i don't so i'll just have to play it on pc.

Skull
21-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Just thought I’d let you guys know. Terry Cavanagh’s impossible and addictive new game, Super Hexagon (http://superhexagon.com/) has just been released on Android and is on a short time offer of just 88p.

I enjoyed VVVVVV lots and thought I’d give this game a punt over the weekend on my PC. I initially thought it was a fun little game, but not enough content and far too hard for me to dedicate much time too. I kept playing it because of the music though – which is honestly some of the best I have heard. The mechanics of the game and style then really started growing on me and I spent ages just hypnotised by its psychedelic style and felt compelled to keep playing and beat my best time – not something I am usually fussed with in anything but racing games.

I then found out it had been released on Android just that day and had been reduced so I bought the game all over again (this is the first Android game I have ever bought) just to play on the commute to work. Unfortunately, the controls don’t feel nearly as precise as on my PC (they felt off on my PC until I disabled V-Sync though) and there is a bug on the Galaxy S2 that means I don’t get the cool music (although I saw a comment from Terry saying he is working on this) plus, this game doesn’t work at all on the Nexus 7 according to things I have read.

However, it’s early days and if these problems get fixed, we are looking at one of the best recent indie games to be played on the move. I can’t wait to get good at it so I can show all my mates how super-human I am (this game makes you look like a god of games even if you are just average at it).

Just look at the trailer if you aren’t sure. It looks impossible but even after a couple of hours I am coming close to pulling off what happens in that video (not quite that good yet though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2sz0mI_6tLQ

sonson
21-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I got my Iphone 5 over the weekend and did a bit of fiddling with Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ravenmark-scourge-estellion/id478016806?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4). I can't believe how much game there is in it, for the price, and how polished it is, and it's on a fucking phone. What a time to be alive. I would have paid Ł30 for a game like this on PC ten years back and not regretted it. If you like strategy or turn based games or just good things you should buy it for your IOS device. I suspect the Banner Saga might have taken more than a hint of inspiration from this.

shaydeeadi
21-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Most mobile games hold my attention for about 5 minutes and then I never play them again, I think Street Fighter 4 for the iPhone was the only one I went back to repeatedly. So many turd games in the mobile area, if I'm travelling I prefer to read a book.

Komsomol
21-01-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a Nexus S and a Nexus 7.

I played cut the ropes and angry birds when I got the phone first time. Tried Canabalt and Osmos. But never really played them indepth.

On the Nexus 7 tablet I played loads of Osmos HD. But that was being I had insomnia and the games music is great to make you fall asleep.

Nothing so far that I was 'addicted' to and wanted to play badly.

c-Row
21-01-2013, 02:34 PM
And the iPad version of M&M: Clash Of Heroes has been anounced earlier this year, so that will be another time sink soon.

Finally coming this Thursday (or so it was announced). With this and Dungelot, my spare time is completey gone.

harhis23
21-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I do play a lot of mobile (android) games. currently, I'm busy gaming with NFS:Most Wanted on my tablet.

TechnicalBen
21-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes. I use to game on my HP laptop all the time... what? WHAT? Why the funny looks?

somini
21-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes. I use to game on my HP laptop all the time... what? WHAT? Why the funny looks?
I feel your pain.

OT, for the DS: Picross, Picross 3D and whatever spinoffs they made. THE addictive game of the century.

GameCat
21-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Spirits -lovely Lemmings clone with awesome relaxing music, atmosphere and graphics. Something you may play before sleep.
It works great even on cheaper Android (iPhone, PC, Mac and Linux too) phones.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsiwROHN35c

Oh, speaking of Picross. Any particular games like this for Android? I saw a few free ones, but they was rather poorly made and control was bad.

LTK
21-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Pretty much all of the games I play on my smartphone are from the humble bundle, and in every case I preferred playing the game on a PC. Though I have a few games still installed on it: Eufloria, World of Goo, and Splice. Having already played World of Goo, I played Splice the most, and enjoyed it a lot. The limited play area and simple interface make it an ideal fit for playing on mobile devices, but I'd still prefer it on a larger screen.

TenorSounds
21-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I am a mobile game addict. I have too many to count, between my iPod touch and android. Some of my favorites:

Anything Infinity Blade.
Into The Dead - First person zombie infinite runner...nomnom
Phoenix Wright. Works great on my iPod
Mage Gauntlet
100 Rogues - One of my favorite roguelikes for my phone.
Spaceteam!
Cytus - like DJ-Max, but on your iPhone.
Pen and Paper
Any of the final fantasy ports (if you can get past the evil price tag)
Game Dev Story
Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo - Gah, right in the nostalgia! Really good if you have kids that you let play with your phone.
Zombies, Run! - Not a standard game, for sure, it is an exercise aid that has you running from zombies during your workout, while telling a story via Bioshock-esque audio logs.

Ohk, and how could I forget Temple Run 2?

Blackice
22-01-2013, 07:39 AM
I've tried, and bounced off, a bunch of free games. Bought a Humble Android bundle, so I can also recommend Splice as a cool puzzle game. The only game I've bought otherwise is Football Manager 2013, which is pretty good - Like it's PC parent's Classic mode, it strips away a lot of the stuff that slows down progress, and it's quite satisfying whiling away a few minutes getting a game or two done.

Lambchops
22-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I have a few games on my iPod. Peggle, Plants vs Zombies and the like because they are perfect for the train.

More mobile specific I've recently played Drop7, New Star Soccer, Spelltower and Wordament. Small screens are a good format for puzzle type games.

internetonsetadd
22-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I put some terrible Flash games on my Cowon S9, but they were terrible. That's about it, I guess.

Berzee
22-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I hear Civilization Revolution is a good civ game for the carryable-game-devices.
I don't play mobile games because this is my phone:
http://www.mobilekarma.com/images/product/medium/13311_1_.jpg

DaftPunk
22-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I have nokia n95 8GB,and GBA emulator,so yeah sometimes i tend to play games on it. But it happens rarely.

csuzw
22-01-2013, 03:51 PM
I play the odd mobile game but recently I've been hooked on 1 in particular. It's called Puzzle and Dragons and it's an unholy combination of a match 3 type puzzle game, Pokemon and in app purchases (which I thankfully haven't felt the need to use yet). It's not actually available outside the US and Japan app stores (Android anyway - might be different for iDevices) but the apk can be found on the net (I found a link on the NEOGAF forums) - it's free to play so it's only circumventing region restrictions, not payment.

Smashbox
22-01-2013, 03:57 PM
It says the "word" buzzworthy in that phone photo.

D:

Berzee
22-01-2013, 04:31 PM
It says the "word" buzzworthy in that phone photo.

D:

I don't know what is that thing! (I just grabbed the first photograph I could find of my wonderful(ly bad) phone).

Spider Jerusalem
22-01-2013, 05:11 PM
i play, uh, solitaire.

my niece loves world of goo, though. she's always stealing my phone to play it.

Tritagonist
22-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Do you play mobile (let's say smartphone and tablet) games?
Tablet, yes. Phone, no. The only place I might have time to play a game on my phone is on the train, but since they tend to be packed like livestock transport around there's rarely an opportunity to muck about much.

What mobile games are actually good?
Games (iOS) that I've played past the first week after getting them are few and far between, but I'd mention: Cargo-Bot (puzzle), geoDefense Swarm (tower defense), Kingdom Rush (tower defense), Reckless Racing 2 (3rd person racing)

somini
23-01-2013, 03:55 AM
I hear Civilization Revolution is a good civ game for the carryable-game-devices.
It's basically Civ2 with prettier graphics, totally amazing to nuke the world with Gandhi.

Voon
23-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Used to but it gets dull after a while. I heard Three Towns is good, though

TechnicalBen
23-01-2013, 08:49 AM
What pain? It had a desktop CPU and an ATIx600 (so above average for the time) Even think it was dedicated graphics ram, not shared. Was a very nice laptop and worked well. It's definition of "mobile" is not the same as everyone else's though. It was massive! :D

Winged Nazgul
23-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Been playing a lot of Neuroshima Hex lately, It's a brilliant adaptation of a brilliant boardgame.

Quinns even says it's better than the original:

http://www.shutupshow.com/post/37275132103/impressions-neuroshima-hex

somini
24-01-2013, 12:42 AM
What pain? It had a desktop CPU and an ATIx600 (so above average for the time) Even think it was dedicated graphics ram, not shared. Was a very nice laptop and worked well. It's definition of "mobile" is not the same as everyone else's though. It was massive! :D
I game exclusively on above-average laptops because I can't buy both a laptop and a desktop, and it's serviceable, but having a real desktop is so much better.
And it's mobile, I play games on several places, just not when travelling. That laptop must have been always on boiling point, what kind of heat management it had?

arathain
24-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Small General on my Android phone is a very nice streamlined war game, which reminds me a little of Advance Wars, only with dice and simple rules for morale and supply.

Drake
24-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't have an Android phone, just a Symbian so I am playing various old games with emulators. Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Final Fight, Legend Of Zelda, stuff like that : D

Winged Nazgul
25-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Currently addicted to newly released Android game, Rivals at War:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hotheadgames.google.free.valor

This unlikely mashup pairs a CCG with a third-person shooter. Free to play with in-app purchases.

This mashup shouldn't work but it does for some odd reason. The CCG aspect is there in full force and you have to constantly buy packs of cards to improve your soldiers and equip them with the tactics they need to give them an edge in battle. The shooter aspect is the weaker of the two combos as you have absolutely no control over your soldiers once battle is joined.

What you do get is a front-row seat to some pretty good AI battles as they try to complete the mission objectives given them. You can switch between any soldier or get a birds-eye satellite view of the whole battlefield.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L54EQRoMUJo/USkv5tc9rmI/AAAAAAAAA48/Kp4n-D1zSWM/s998/Screenshot_2013-02-23-15-34-49.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-42CuqreSV-c/USkv67lEIaI/AAAAAAAAA5U/xd0qzMPe-qw/s998/Screenshot_2013-02-23-15-35-23.jpg

deadly.by.design
25-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I feel like every time I could be playing a game on a mobile device, I should be doing something important instead.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I went back to commuting.

Smashbox
25-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Yeah, since I realized reading books on a mobile device was semi-pleasant, I'd rather do that during my commute.

ambing1
25-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I used to play snake on my nokia 3310. Otherwise, no, never.

Snake!
brings back memories of my first ever phone...the mighty 3310. it's just unfortunate that it was also stolen.
anyhow, Snake was pretty awesome way back then.

SandmanXC
26-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Pixel Dungeon is an excellent roguelike for Android. I'll pimp this game whenever I get the occasion.

hamster
26-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Anyone got any nice iOS games in mind?

DaftPunk
26-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Check this :

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/the-top-25-iphone-and-ipad-games?page=1

Thuull
27-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Currently developing a mobile/web-based hybrid strategy warfare game, so...yeah, I play it every single day on my iPad =) If any of you mobile based strategy game types would be interested in being part of a live development project (feudal social strategy/warfare), drop me a line.

My favorites have been: Parallel Kingdoms, Turf Wars and Nueroshima Hex. Those are really the only ones that have managed to keep my attention for any real period of time...and the first two only because I'm fascinated with the idea of location based/gps gaming.

Sparkasaurusmex
27-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I thought I would like a good game on my Android device, but whenever I find one that seems interesting I realized I'd rather play it on my PC. I don't like the silly "casual" games that dominate the Android market, but I understand why they are suited for "phones" (hardly ever use mine as a phone) and larger more in depth games fit better on PC.

The only game I play on the Android right now is Plants vs. Zombies. I have Bard's Tale remake, but again it is one of those games that makes me say "this feels stupid, I should be playing this on PC."

edit- also, why does it seem like 90% of the mobile games were designed by the same artist who combines japanese anime with disney cartoons? If you just look at the games cover pictures they all look they're different versions of Diner Dash. Oh here's diner dash as a f2p city builder, oh Diner Dash as a modern combat RTS, oh Diner Dash JRPG, Diner Dash platformer...etc

tossrStu
28-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Anyone got any nice iOS games in mind?

Dungeon Raid: Kind of like a roguelike version of Puzzle Quest, with all the timesinkiness that entails.

Super Hexagon: Game Over. Begin. I've stopped playing this on public transport due to the involuntary cry of OH TITS that I come out with every time I die.

Slay: 90s Windows shareware strategy game ported to iOS; move your men around an island until you've killed off your opponents. Quite boardgamey in a way. (See also the same dev's Mother of all Battles.)

Puzzlejuice: A fast-paced, unholy hybrid of Tetris and Bookworm.

The Last Express: Classic 90s CD-ROM adventure, now playable on your phone. We're living in the FUTURE here people.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer: Sorta-kinda like Magic: The Gathering but without the card-buying aspect. (Be warned that the app's future is uncertain, as the makers of the physical game are working on their own cross-platform version; the iOS version will definitely get the next expansion but after that, who knows? Still totally worth it IMHO though.)

The Room: Locked-room puzzle game with gorgeous graphics.

Block Breaker 3: One of the nicest Arkanoid clones I've ever played. It's not quite Nervous Brickdown, admittedly, but then again what is? (RIP ARKEDO YOUR WITH THE ANGLES NOW)

Doom 2 RPG and Wolfenstein RPG: A pair of ultra-lite Dungeon Master-style RPGs. John Carmack himself got his hands dirty on these ones, which should tell you everything you need to know about the quality of them (ie. they're AT LEAST as good as Rage)

Eliss: Lovely, lovely multitouch-based game. Join like-coloured blobs together while keeping them away from differently-coloured ones. Much better than I've just made it sound.

Trainyard and Trainyard Express: Lay tracks to guide trains into their like-coloured stations. The free version (Trainyard Express) has a different set of puzzles to the paid-for version so it's worth getting them both.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! (Force = Mass x Acceleration): It's AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! in the palm of your hand. Works nicely with tilt controls.

Quell and Quell Reflect: Puzzle games where you move a raindrop around a level picking up pearls, your drop travelling continuously until it hits a wall. It's a bit like Amiga game The Power (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv8rHI5EWPE) without the shit music YEAH THATS RIGHT I JUST CALLED SNAP SHIT COME AT ME BRO

Gridrunner: Or I could just as easily recommend Caverns of Minos or Super Ox Wars or Goat Up or any of the other Llamatron games. Retro games, but in the style of early 80s coin-op and home computer games rather than the ubiquitous NES style.

Magnetic Shaving Derby: Because who doesn't like games where you guide a razorblade across someone's face using a magnet? I'll tell you who: fools and twats, and I trust you're neither of those.

Spaceteam: HOLY CRAP it's only the best local multiplayer game like EVER. You need one or more friends with iOS devices to play but if you do then oh my days are you in for a TREAT.

Death Ray Manta: The best kind of DRM. Fab psychedelic twin-stick shooter that I'm pretty sure manages to out-Minter Minter.

I've got an imperial fuckton more games on my iPad but those should do for starters.