PDA

View Full Version : So Call of Duty Elite Will Be Free After All

squirrel
25-10-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.callofduty.com/elite/faq

The service will be free for the upcoming Black Ops 2. I know this isn't gonna work. Why would people, especially PC gamers, be willing to pay for the game supporting service which is supposed to be free? Console kids spending their parents' money may be willing to, but not us.

Sigh, so, as a little retribution, the service is still not available for us for the time being. But I for one is not interested in it. They better move back to the old model of the very first Modern Warfare game: profile and every stat information be stored in clients' machines.

SirDavies
25-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Why do people even play these games anymore?

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Why do people even ask these questions anymore? Do you find it fun asking redundant questions? Cause they find it fun playing those games, which is why they play them.

Kaira-
25-10-2012, 12:26 PM

​10 character limit

Mohorovicic
25-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Why would people, especially PC gamers, be willing to pay for the game supporting service which is supposed to be free?

You mean the same PC gamers who paid for premium accounts in Battlefield 3? Who buy every indie bundle for the sole reason it's an indie bundie? Who have literally hundreds of games worth of backlog because they're so far gone in their consumerism they don't care what is it they're buying anymore as long as they're buying, and their backlog only gets bigger with each Steam Sale? The same PC Gamers who made the f2p model the dominant one for multiplayer games precisely because they're more than willing to spend hundreds of dollars on things that "are supposed to be free"? Are we talking about those guys?

​10 character limit

http://i46.tinypic.com/23r2t09.jpg

dnf
25-10-2012, 12:45 PM
You mean the same PC gamers who paid for premium accounts in Battlefield 3? Who buy every indie bundle for the sole reason it's an indie bundie? Who have literally hundreds of games worth of backlog because they're so far gone in their consumerism they don't care what is it they're buying anymore as long as they're buying, and their backlog only gets bigger with each Steam Sale? The same PC Gamers who made the f2p model the dominant one for multiplayer games precisely because they're more than willing to spend hundreds of dollars on things that "are supposed to be free"? Are we talking about those guys?

You forget the 10 millions that pay for Diablo 3.

squirrel
25-10-2012, 12:51 PM

I thought BF 3 Premium is not a subscription. It's a one shot deal, so I more of consider it as a DLC pack, though it does provide premium access to servers (I consider this not an honest business conduct, EA didnt hint anything like that at the launch of the game).

I dont think that belief in free game supporting service is just a presumption. If you want to adopt a pricing schedule, you have to enter a binding contract with your customers, not to amend such contract par your own dictation. I have no problem with Global Agenda adopting subscription (only that it turned out to be not profitable).

Shopping spree is not really a big issue for me. I mean, I dont consider it to be. I dont use Steam, but whenever game stores here dump their stock in dramatic discount, I always rush to buy as hell. Paying for the right price, you can find this rational behavior in any form of shopping. I never spend over USD100 a year for games.

And I dont know, people really spend crazily on F2P titles? My friends who play titles like Battlefield F2P, Hero don't spend a dime on them.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 01:13 PM
And I dont know, people really spend crazily on F2P titles? My friends who play titles like Battlefield F2P, Hero don't spend a dime on them.

Some people will spend insane amounts of money on f2p. Others spend none. Others buy a skin here or there. People obviously spend enough money on f2p games to make it a viable business for the guys behind it. When you've a player base like LoL does, you don't need everyone to spend crazily on it. You need a small percentage of players to buy a small item every so often.

gundato
25-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I thought BF 3 Premium is not a subscription. It's a one shot deal, so I more of consider it as a DLC pack, though it does provide premium access to servers (I consider this not an honest business conduct, EA didnt hint anything like that at the launch of the game).
Yes. BF3 Premium is just a way to get all the DLC for cheap(er). In fact, it is probably the best approach if you actually want to play the game since there likely won't be long between the release of the inevitable GOTYE and BF4.

But that would involve actually studying the subject, which most people who want to bash things refuse to do.

Shooop
25-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Why do people still pay to watch Micheal Bay movies?

Drake Sigar
25-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice. Please don't forget those who pay hundreds of pounds for special editions too.