PDA

View Full Version : The new amd 'wonder' drivers , has anyone tried them on the 68xx series?

Finicky
25-10-2012, 11:58 AM
As always from amd, tweaks and performance boosts for the latest cards but they pretend anything from a year earlier no longer exist.

Does this new driver give any notable performance boost for hd 68xx owners?

My hard learned lesson over the years with amd drivers is to NEVER ever update drivers unless you get a big performance boost or it fixes a bunch of games you have problems with, as they are always guaranteed to break several of your older games. So I'm asking here first ^^

Sakkura
25-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I really doubt they'll change anything with 6000 series cards. If I didn't, I'd have installed it already!

I haven't personally run into any problems when updating AMD drivers, but it can always happen. And since this is a beta, the risk is that much bigger. I wouldn't bother unless you have a 7000 series card and play BF3.

Finicky
25-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Guess I'm not updating then.
One of the reasons why I'm going nvidia next upgrade, always been an amd user (last nvidia card was a geforce ti4200) since they have been good for price/performance but I'm so sick of the horrible driver support.

-No vista drivers full stop for the less than 2 years old radeon 9800 pro at release (never made any), my card literally stopped supporting direct3d the moment i switched to vista.
-No driver fixes for lots of games (witcher 2, cod games) for 48xx cards once the 6xxx cards were out, these games were never fixed on these cards, they just didn't care.
-they claimed with a straight face that 4xxx and lower end 5xxx cards could not do mlaa when they released it as a premium feature for the 58xx cards (months later devs started releasing their own mlaa that worked on all dx9+ cards)
-now they pretend the 6xxx cards no longer exist.

For as long as I've used amd, you are only supported for one generation rollover, then you are on your own. Driver level performance tweaks are only applied to the latest cards bc gota make the card from the year before look outdated in them benchmarks.
It simply is no longer good value when your money only buys you a 2 year season pass to the 'amd bug fix dlc'.

Sakkura
25-10-2012, 11:43 PM
For as long as I've used amd, you are only supported for one generation rollover, then you are on your own. Driver level performance tweaks are only applied to the latest cards bc gota make the card from the year before look outdated in them benchmarks.
It simply is no longer good value when your money only buys you a 2 year season pass to the 'amd bug fix dlc'.
The things they're changing for the 7000 series probably wouldn't help the 6000 series anyway. And they've (hopefully) already optimised the performance of the 6000 series. The only significant performance improvements I would expect would be if new games started using some techniques that the 6000 series struggled with for whatever reason.

kalelovil
26-10-2012, 11:58 AM
As always from amd, tweaks and performance boosts for the latest cards but they pretend anything from a year earlier no longer exist.

Does this new driver give any notable performance boost for hd 68xx owners?

No it doesn't.
The 7xxx series uses a radically different architecture than the old 5xxx-68xx series.
The Evergreen architecture used in the HD68xx series is now three years old and drivers during its lifetime did significantly improve performance.
It makes sense for AMD and Nvidia to their attention on the current generation of cards where greater room exists for optimisation and performance improvements, and which they are most focused on selling.

-No vista drivers full stop for the less than 2 years old radeon 9800 pro at release (never made any), my card literally stopped supporting direct3d the moment i switched to vista.
Radeon 9800 pro release date: March/April 2003.
Windows Vista release date: January 2007.
A difference of 4 years, not 2, so you are factually incorrect.

Not that that matters, because there are AMD graphics drivers as recent as February 2010 for the 9800 pro in Windows Vista:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English