PDA

View Full Version : Unexplored Settings/Themes/Characters

SirDavies
25-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Walking through a videogame store nowadays can be a pretty monotonous experience. You got your military shooters, your sports games, some stuff for kids and not much more. Of course, there are lots of variations of these types of games, some more inspired than others. WW2, fantasy worlds, the middle east, New York/similar cities, war, american hero saves the day, alien invasions... are all settings and situations that have been in quite a lot of videogames in the last couple of years. But there's so much more to the world than that, there are so many locations and situations that haven't been explored in an interactive way. So my question is, what still unexplored locations/situations/historical settings/cultures would you like to see appear in videogames in the future?

I'll start with my suggestions:
-Prehistorical
-First world war
-An old person as the main character
-African character and setting.
-Becoming a crazy person
-Being the bad guy (not in a funny or even a fun way)

Squiz
25-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Being the bad guy (not in a funny or even a fun way)Manhunt comes to mind, but one could argue that you are forced to do what you do and therefore you're not the real bad guy. Definitely not fun though.

Sketch
25-10-2012, 01:11 PM
There's definitely not enough westerns.

Also I'd love a SWAT game in a sci-fi universe. Like breaking into houses on Omega and arresting aliens etc etc.

jnx
25-10-2012, 01:15 PM
-An old person as the main character
Splinter Cell: Conviction.

-Becoming a crazy person
Postal series.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2012, 01:24 PM
New York/similar cities
New York still hasn't been done properly. We've seen a lot of pale imitations, but nothing remotely good. In fact, I can't remember a single city in a videogame that actually felt like a city. Modern, fantasy, whatever. They're all painfully fake.

Analogous to a city, I don't think we've seen any decent games set on a space station. Not building a space station (Startopia), but playing some kind of character there. See Babylon 5 for ideas.

Feldspar
25-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Offhand, I can't think of any games set in New Zealand, but I've never played a sheep farming simulator, so they may exist.

Historically, the 50's seem underpopulated with games.

Stevo
25-10-2012, 01:37 PM
What about games set heavy snow? I can only think of Lost Planet. Would love some sort of survival game (doesn't need to be horror) set in the north or south pole with an emphasis on exploration.

SirDavies
25-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Postal series.

By an old person I meant an old person, not a young person with grey hair. By becoming a crazy person I meant the psicological process of becoming crazy, not doing crazy stuff (there's plenty of that).

ferdy
25-10-2012, 01:45 PM
@jnx
Sam Fisher is 50 something, hardly an old man. Older than most game protagonists perhaps. I think the OP meant someone in his 60s or 70s.

Stevo
25-10-2012, 01:45 PM
By an old person I meant an old person, not a young person with grey hair. By becoming a crazy person I meant the psicological process of becoming crazy, not doing crazy stuff (there's plenty of that).

How old? Max Payne? Solid Snake in MGS4.

Gray Guardian
25-10-2012, 01:48 PM
What about games set heavy snow? I can only think of Lost Planet. Would love some sort of survival game (doesn't need to be horror) set in the north or south pole with an emphasis on exploration.

The Thing is indeed a survival horror set on an Arctic station. You can only go outside for limited time before you freeze. Also the game had some interesting idea about your teammates who you rescue being secretly infected and transformind into the Thing when you least expect it.

RPGs are are genre which is by far the most cliche-ridden. Almost all we get is the pseudo-medieval Europe. It would be great to have fantasy settings influenced by other ancient civilisations (Egypt, Aztecs, Babilon), by African folklore, Arabic or Jewish mythologies etc.

Shane
25-10-2012, 01:53 PM
-African character and setting.
Resident Evil 6

-Becoming a crazy person
Hotline Miami, Spec Ops the Line

GTA games? Shadow of the Colossus

Lukasz
25-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Becoming a crazy person
Vampire Bloodlines as malkavian
sanitarium

what do you mean by fun way? games are meant to be fun. if you are not having fun you are not gonna play the game.

Inquisition apparently allows you to be very bad man

Black and White allows you to be an evil god

Alpha Protocol allows you to be a manipulative, sarcastic asshole, later a really bad person who takes over main villain operations.

GTA games? You are the bad guy in vice city and 3. Not enough played of SA and didn't touch IV. But both in VC and 3 there is no doubt that you are a villain.

riadsala
25-10-2012, 02:20 PM
A space game without faster than light travel (see the Mars Trilogy for ideas).

A "battlefield general simulator"... So you get a first person view, and have to deal with inaccurate reports from your scouts, hand drawn maps, and time delays before finding out that the enemy is flanking you with cavalry.

ferdy
25-10-2012, 02:24 PM
RPGs are are genre which is by far the most cliche-ridden. Almost all we get is the pseudo-medieval Europe. It would be great to have fantasy settings influenced by other ancient civilisations (Egypt, Aztecs, Babilon), by African folklore, Arabic or Jewish mythologies etc.

I doubt we're getting rid of the Tolkien stink any time soon. It seems to me most rpg fans are more than happy with the constant recycling of settings and themes. If that doesn't change i don't expect developers to take any chances in this regard.

what do you mean by fun way? games are meant to be fun. if you are not having fun you are not gonna play the game.

Games can be engaging without being fun. The first two Ice-Pick Lodge games were disturbing and utterly captivating, without even resorting to cheap tricks like addictive mechanics.

SirDavies
25-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Not to sound rude, but can you suggest your own ideas instead of misinterpreting mine? Please?

Gray Guardian
25-10-2012, 02:25 PM
A "battlefield general simulator"... So you get a first person view, and have to deal with inaccurate reports from your scouts, hand drawn maps, and time delays before finding out that the enemy is flanking you with cavalry.

That's a great idea, a strategy game that is not an abstract tactical excercise but more like the simulation of a commander's experience.

Stevo
25-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Such a game exists think its set during the American Civil War.

riadsala
25-10-2012, 02:32 PM
is it any good?

Can you send out spies to try and kill message runners in the opponents army? Can you wade up to the front lines to give your troops a morale boost, at the cost of having any coherent idea of what is happening elsewhere on the field?

Sparkasaurusmex
25-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I think it'd be fun to have a game set in the future of the 1980's. So like the year in the game is 2012, except it's a parallel universe 2012, as would have been imagined in the 1980's... sort of a Back to the Future 2 vibe.

sabrage
25-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Escaped slave on the Underground Railroad.

Shooop
25-10-2012, 04:02 PM
The first person melee genre in general is sorely lacking. Last great one there was Condemned 2 and it was console only.

And Woundedbum's right we don't have enough westerns.

Xercies
25-10-2012, 04:08 PM
A 1001 Arabian Nights kind of setting would be lovely in an RPG, adventure game or even a platformer.

Also maybe some others in the land of fairy tales and myths that aren't all the American Mcgee lets make snow white and alice in wonderland dark...boring!

Shooop
25-10-2012, 04:12 PM
A 1001 Arabian Nights kind of setting would be lovely in an RPG, adventure game or even a platformer.

Also maybe some others in the land of fairy tales and myths that aren't all the American Mcgee lets make snow white and alice in wonderland dark...boring!

That gives me an idea.

Remember Wonderland was supposed to be Carrol's parody of new mathematics? Why not do that to an entire game world? Not necessarily a puzzle game though.

Jesus_Phish
25-10-2012, 04:18 PM
New York still hasn't been done properly. We've seen a lot of pale imitations, but nothing remotely good. In fact, I can't remember a single city in a videogame that actually felt like a city. Modern, fantasy, whatever. They're all painfully fake.

Analogous to a city, I don't think we've seen any decent games set on a space station. Not building a space station (Startopia), but playing some kind of character there. See Babylon 5 for ideas.

Liberty City (GTA IV) and Manhatten seemed pretty spot on with each other. It's unlikely you'll ever get a 1:1 replica of a real life city in a game for a whole host of issues ranging from trade marking to "terrorists will use this against us", but in my recent stint there it seemed pretty well done.

Don't you become crazy over the course of Farhenheit/Indigo Prophecy? One or two single games aren't much to explore a theme on.

Don't think there's ever been a survival game where you've been trapped in a cave in/down a mine/underground and trying to survive and have it as the main plot of the story. That could make for a good tense couple of hours of game play.

Smashbox
25-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I think it'd be fun to have a game set in the future of the 1980's. So like the year in the game is 2012, except it's a parallel universe 2012, as would have been imagined in the 1980's... sort of a Back to the Future 2 vibe.

The Fallout games are a bit like this I think - retro 1950s future.

qizarate
25-10-2012, 04:54 PM

There's an old gamecube game called Eternal Darkness which modelled sanity effects in quite a fun way. Anyone remember that?

karthink
25-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Becoming a crazy person: Mark of the Ninja. (You'll have to play it to find out why.)
Being the bad guy in an unironic, unfun way: Every modern military shooter. Of course you're the bad guy.

TillEulenspiegel
25-10-2012, 05:13 PM
A 1001 Arabian Nights kind of setting would be lovely in an RPG, adventure game
You've just described Quest for Glory II (http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html).

QG2: Trial By Fire used a more unique settingówe spent hundreds of hours researching the 1001 Arabian Nights and Arabic culture and language for the game.
source (http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/interview_with_cori_cole_creator_fo3JcablCc214MdZh tEh1M)

Velko
25-10-2012, 05:54 PM
WWI man-shooter! I want it.

Also yes, snow is poorly presented in games. It really isn't just something that your legs clip through.

And I loved that idea about a first-person military strategy game.

sabrage
25-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Being the bad guy in an unironic, unfun way: Every modern military shooter. Of course you're the bad guy.
That's too meta.

TechnicalBen
25-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Oh, I'm sure I can think of millions, but I'm saving them to see if anyone will buy them off me... what?

SirDavies
25-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I also think there isn't enough games set in person's dreams

Binho
26-10-2012, 12:25 AM
While there are a lot of games set in historical settings, none of them set pre-American Civil War do a good job in recreating or exploring their settings.

Historical settings tend to be used as visual dressing for pre-existing story and gameplay. The recreations of the settings tend to be based on pop-history or very superficial research. Gothic churches, Egyptian and Graeco-Roman temples always lack their original polychromy, for example. Also, history flavoured games don't explore the themes and cultures of their setting.

Ezio and Altair were basically 20th century westerners with accents, and the cultures they were supposed to be from were never explored. Despite the medieval/renaissance flavouring, you learn close to nothing about all the research on what daily life and society were like in those locations. Compare this to say, L.A. Noire, Mad Men or Mafia, where they at least try to get the correct mannerisims, speech patterns and societal attitudes towards various subjects right.

So yes, more actual exploration of past settings. This is something I believe games can do much better than other popular history formats. Books are bad at being visual, and documentaries and TV shows tend to be limited on budgets for creating accurate sets and props. Living history museums often have too many modern intrusionds. Games can create atmosphere, they allow for greater exploration of detail and themes, they can show things in context, and they are interactive.

Oshada
26-10-2012, 02:13 AM

That's surely Kane and Lynch.

SouperSteve0
26-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Escaped slave on the Underground Railroad.

That could be one hell of a stealth game

Nalano
26-10-2012, 04:46 AM
-First world war

Dude. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_I_video_games)

Kane & Lynch. (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=779)

The market says: I want, and most companies produce games tailored to these wants.

Dog Days says: fuck you, this is what you want, look at what you want, asshole.

I suppose it's understandable that many people wouldn't want to listen.

Mohorovicic
26-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Not counting RapeLay, I think the most "viable" bad guy game was Postal(the first one).

Lukasz
26-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Games can be engaging without being fun. The first two Ice-Pick Lodge games were disturbing and utterly captivating, without even resorting to cheap tricks like addictive mechanics.

... yeah. but the game were still fun to play.

a game does not have to use tricks, cheap addictive mechanics to be fun? I had a lot of fun with fallout games. do they use cheap addictive mechanics?

does stalker do that?

b0rsuk
26-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I'll start with my suggestions:
-Prehistorical

Prehistoric, Ugh!, Fred, the recent shooter where you shoot dinosaurs. Probably the next Assassin's Creed as well.

-Becoming a crazy person

A very good point&click game Sanitarium; Penumbra: Black Plague to lesser extent

[/quote]
Dungeon Keeper 1&2, Syndicate, Overlord, Blood1&2, God of War... and how can we forget Carmageddon ? Hitting pedestrians with your car just for fun and money ?

But some of your suggestions were good. I especially like the idea of African and WW1 setting. I know a very interesting book about Africa - "Black Mother" by Basil Davidson. It's about the cultures and civilizations of Africa only, about its lost civilizations, how slave trade started and changed them.

How about:
- a role-playing game where you don't travel the world or explore. In fact you would spend the entire game in one building. Say you play a bartender, a fortune teller or a doctor and people come to YOU.
- a role-playing game set in completely modern environment with no supernatural creatures and no hint of sci-fi. It doesn't have to be exactly our world, alternate history would be enough as long as it's 100% free of fantastic elements otherwise.
- a futuristic ARPG
- games with simultaneous turns. Only a few games of this kind have been made. Dominions1,2,3 are little known, so is Laser Squad Nemesis and Fray is apparently a dud. Give me a Laser Squad Nemesis with a big X-COM style campaign (old X-COM where you build bases and defend them) and high quality visuals. Frozen Synapse is too lightweight.
- underwater environment is a huge untapped area. It's especially puzzling considering many people say we know our oceans less than the outer space. We keep discovering new species and great depths are very hostile to humans. X-COM: Terror From The Deep was nice, but it was just a reskin of the first game and they failed to make proper use of aquatic environment. There were some weapons and aliens that only worked underwater but that's it. Really, if some aliens wanted to establish footholds on our planet and keep them hidden, sea bottoms are a very good place.

Jesus_Phish
26-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Prehistoric, Ugh!, Fred, the recent shooter where you shoot dinosaurs.

A very good point&click game Sanitarium; Penumbra: Black Plague to lesser extent

- underwater environment is a huge untapped area. It's especially puzzling considering many people say we know our oceans less than the outer space. We keep discovering new species and great depths are very hostile to humans. X-COM: Terror From The Deep was nice, but it was just a reskin of the first game and they failed to make proper use of aquatic environment. There were some weapons and aliens that only worked underwater but that's it.[/QUOTE]

I think the issue with underwater environments is the constant 3 axis movement. I'm not sure if you ever played WOW, but they had one area that was about 90% under water and it was regarded as one of the worst questing zones in the game, solely because you were constantly swimming around on 3 axis. The same goes for many fps games that used to have the mandatory underwater mission (Red Faction springs to mind) where the controls became horrible and it was just a pain.

I agree it could be a cool concept though in light of us knowing very little about what is at the depths of our oceans.

b0rsuk
26-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't buy the argument about difficulty of movement in 3D. Yes, humans are fundamentally 2D beings, but Descent1,2, and 3 had its fans. Sure, underwater sucks if it's thrown in as an afterthought.

Imagine a game where you're a diver and a treasure hunter. You - alone or with teammates - search shipwrecks for treasure or some important cargo. There can be sharks, jellyfish, octopi and other dangerous animals. There can be competition from armed criminals - Police is far away, no witnesses and underwater forensics are bad. Plenty of opportunities even before you spice things up with supernatural or sci-fi.

Yes, there was Aquaria but come on, it's a 2D shooter where fantastic elements outnumber real ones.

postinternetsyndrome
26-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Zero-G environments. Basically I'd like a singleplayer version of Shattered Horizon, with a proper campaign instead of just deathmatch/flag control.

Also, sign me up for one of them first person battlefield commander sims. Pretty please.

Also, "untapped". Heh.

Tikey
26-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Imagine a game where you're a diver and a treasure hunter. You - alone or with teammates - search shipwrecks for treasure or some important cargo. There can be sharks, jellyfish, octopi and other dangerous animals. There can be competition from armed criminals - Police is far away, no witnesses and underwater forensics are bad. Plenty of opportunities even before you spice things up with supernatural or sci-fi.

Sub-Culture!

http://www.juegomania.org/Sub+Culture/foto/pc/0/755/755.jpg/Foto+Sub+Culture.jpg

Internet
26-10-2012, 05:22 PM

It's not on the PC, but Nier is an example. Also that "game" where you walk through the graveyard.

Isn't Amnesia kind of about going crazy? I never played it, but Scratches seemed that way too.

Internet
26-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't buy the argument about difficulty of movement in 3D. Yes, humans are fundamentally 2D beings, but Descent1,2, and 3 had its fans. Sure, underwater sucks if it's thrown in as an afterthought.

Yes, there was Aquaria but come on, it's a 2D shooter where fantastic elements outnumber real ones.

Endless Ocean is a pretty fun diving game, not on PC though, and you definitely don't interact with others.

How about:
- a role-playing game where you don't travel the world or explore. In fact you would spend the entire game in one building. Say you play a bartender, a fortune teller or a doctor and people come to YOU.
- a role-playing game set in completely modern environment with no supernatural creatures and no hint of sci-fi. It doesn't have to be exactly our world, alternate history would be enough as long as it's 100% free of fantastic elements otherwise.
- a futuristic ARPG

Dragon Age 2? Recettear comes somewhat close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_(video_game)
It was most definitely futuristic, if more than a bit on the boring and grindy side of things. Also, Zax the Alien Hunter.

JimDigritz
26-10-2012, 05:36 PM
How about a boxing game/simulator.. for the PC.

I mean I'm pretty sure the last one was 4D Sports Boxing back in 1991!

b0rsuk
26-10-2012, 05:41 PM
There is a definite lack of melee combat in FPS. Hexen was primitive in this aspect, but the axe dealt tons of damage and wiping the floor with it was very satisfying.

Internet
26-10-2012, 06:42 PM
How about a boxing game/simulator.. for the PC.
I mean I'm pretty sure the last one was 4D Sports Boxing back in 1991!

It's not boxing, but Zeno clash is a pretty good first person puncher, and I've heard good things about Streets of Rage.

There is a definite lack of melee combat in FPS. Hexen was primitive in this aspect, but the axe dealt tons of damage and wiping the floor with it was very satisfying.

I loved the Chainsaw in the GOTY UT, we played a few all lan matches and nothing was more satisfying than decapitating people mid-air in morpheus. But I think the best melee combat comes from Jedi Knight 2. You could be successful with guns, but no one wanted to use them. Battlefront mostly kept the same combat when you unlocked Jedi heroes.

Mohorovicic
26-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Even if you would get over the controls hurdle, melee in FPP would still be a hardcore niche zone because judging distances would take a lot of getting used to. I'd love to see the idea executed though, sure.

sabrage
27-10-2012, 03:58 PM
First-person melee is hardly underrepresented:
-Zeno Clash
-Escape From Butcher Bay
-Breakdown
-Elder Scrolls
-Dark Messiah

Compare that to Stealth Slave...

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 04:18 PM
^^

Hitman
Metal Gear Solid
Thief
Splinter Cell
Tenchu
Death To Spies
Manhunt

You were saying :D

Otherwise i would LOVE to see realistic fighter game for pc,either box or muay thai,MMa..

Mohorovicic
27-10-2012, 05:55 PM
First-person melee is hardly underrepresented:

Yeeeaaah I was thinking about something beyond "press attack to swing sword". Otherwise might as well throw in Quake there, with the axe and all.

sabrage
28-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Yeeeaaah I was thinking about something beyond "press attack to swing sword". Otherwise might as well throw in Quake there, with the axe and all.
From my list, only Elder Scrolls would really fit that description.

Mohorovicic
28-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Funny, from your list, Skyrim seems definitely the most advanced to me...

sabrage
28-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I was referring to the Elder Scrolls series as a whole, and I'd hazard a guess that you've never played Breakdown.

Kadayi
28-10-2012, 12:10 PM
So my question is, what still unexplored locations/situations/historical settings/cultures would you like to see appear in videogames in the future?

Having been playing the walking dead game I think it's been quite nice playing and interacting with characters who (zombie apocalypse) aside are on the whole just plain regular folk Vs soldiers and the like. If anything I guess I'd like to see more games that are adventures (or mysteries) but are more character driven and less guns if anything.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 10:58 PM
It's not on the PC, but Nier is an example. Also that "game" where you walk through the graveyard.

Isn't Amnesia kind of about going crazy? I never played it, but Scratches seemed that way too.

what, this guy is old?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/09/NieR2.jpg

mashakos
28-10-2012, 11:07 PM
- underwater environment is a huge untapped area. It's especially puzzling considering many people say we know our oceans less than the outer space. We keep discovering new species and great depths are very hostile to humans. X-COM: Terror From The Deep was nice, but it was just a reskin of the first game and they failed to make proper use of aquatic environment. There were some weapons and aliens that only worked underwater but that's it.

I think the issue with underwater environments is the constant 3 axis movement. I'm not sure if you ever played WOW, but they had one area that was about 90% under water and it was regarded as one of the worst questing zones in the game, solely because you were constantly swimming around on 3 axis. The same goes for many fps games that used to have the mandatory underwater mission (Red Faction springs to mind) where the controls became horrible and it was just a pain.

I agree it could be a cool concept though in light of us knowing very little about what is at the depths of our oceans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX20Y8Voy4I

mashakos
28-10-2012, 11:28 PM
For me, I'd love to see a game where the plot, setting and characters can't be termed "adolescent".
I'd love to see a game where the entirety of the gameplay is you mentally sparring with a client to get them to use your team's services (assuming your team is top notch with years of experience at whatever they do), with the client being very reluctant initially and coming up with various financial or other practical reasons for why it wouldn't work. Or you being stuck in a hostage situation trying to convince the hostage taker to let you go. Mentally challenging logic games like that would be very interesting to me.

Gorzan
28-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I'd love to see a game where the entirety of the gameplay is you mentally sparring with a client to get them to use your team's services (assuming your team is top notch with years of experience at whatever they do), with the client being very reluctant initially and coming up with various financial or other practical reasons for why it wouldn't work.
So you want a game that simulates work? wow.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 11:40 PM
So you want a game that simulates work? wow.

Replace client in a boardroom with girl at a bar. Same challenges and techniques apply.
Work is spending hours, days and years to achieve certain things. This is more like... sneaky stealth hypnosis.
There are conscious and sub-conscious aspects to it, it's quite complex and very useful in the adult world. Like I said, this is for a more mature target audience

Gorzan
28-10-2012, 11:48 PM
The problem I see with that is I don't think it would work as a self-sustained game. For them to trully work on a videogame, those mechanics would have to be just a part of a bigger picture, rather than just little skirmishes.

mashakos
28-10-2012, 11:57 PM
The problem I see with that is I don't think it would work as a self-sustained game. For them to trully work on a videogame, those mechanics would have to be just a part of a bigger picture, rather than just little skirmishes.

um, Faster Than Light? Street Fighter II?

Ok, what I believe is that if a system is complex enough it can stand on it's own.

DaftPunk
29-10-2012, 12:04 AM
What about a rally game where your main driver is a pig,and your codriver/map cordinator is octopus ???

mashakos
29-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I was born in a city, grew up in a city and now live and work in a city. Some games are quite accurate:
-Cannot interact with neighbors and strangers
-Spend most of your time indoors or in a car (or public transport)
-Shop, window shop or find a friend and go somewhere
-Take some time off to go to the occasional music festival/concert/sporting event

The cities I grew up in have largely low drug and crime related incidents, so I roam freely just like the game characters I control in sandbox city based games.

Gorzan
29-10-2012, 08:44 AM
um, Faster Than Light? Street Fighter II?

Ok, what I believe is that if a system is complex enough it can stand on it's own.

Games being based on a single design concept without anything else don't make your concept work by itself, you know?

BillButNotBen
29-10-2012, 12:19 PM
The one glaring omission from gaming seems to be real life.

Of course, many media tend to dramatise real life to some extent, but compared to movies, books & tv there seems to be a glaring lack of real-life games. Except maybe the sims or sim city.

It may be that games simply wouldn't fit with real life. I also suspect that graphics have held back depictions of real-life. But now we have things like GTA4 style cities, physics engines and LA Noire type facial animation, it should be possible to do things that are a little more real.

I have no idea how, or how to make it fun. And it would probably need a lot less violence. But someone can probably do it.

Mohorovicic
29-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Second Life is "real life".

Result: attacheable dicks sold in vending machines.

postinternetsyndrome
29-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd say Mafia at least tries to take place in the "real world", but at the same time you mow down hundreds of people, so it's not quite there yet. An RPG in the real world where combat is not the central mechanic could be interesting.

CommunistHamster
29-10-2012, 04:04 PM
For me, I'd love to see a game where the plot, setting and characters can't be termed "adolescent".
I'd love to see a game where the entirety of the gameplay is you mentally sparring with a client to get them to use your team's services (assuming your team is top notch with years of experience at whatever they do), with the client being very reluctant initially and coming up with various financial or other practical reasons for why it wouldn't work. Or you being stuck in a hostage situation trying to convince the hostage taker to let you go. Mentally challenging logic games like that would be very interesting to me.

I don't see how that could work as a game without it being just a big conversation tree.

HappyStreet
29-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Modern military corridor shooters.

Joke aside i'd like more games like XCOM. I do not really know of any series that let's you control individual units in that way except Jagged Alliance.

Would also like more politic/action games. Where i am maybe a politic assassin or something like that.

mashakos
29-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't see how that could work as a game without it being just a big conversation tree.

i hate conversation trees, they're the conversational equivalent of Tic Tac Toe. I think we've moved far enough tech-wise for games to include free text input and a.i conversations with facial queues. On the player's side, long pauses before replying would mean a lack of confidence.

TillEulenspiegel
29-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Banish the idea from your mind that conversations in videogames must be represented as the exact literal words that would be spoken. Now what's possible?

Abstracted concepts and emotions, that's what's possible. Think about how you might recount a conversation to a friend that wasn't there, without exactly quoting anything that was said.

With that kind of system, we could start representing a character's values and personality in terms of how they react to a variety of concepts, and how those concepts relate to each other. We can also keep track of what they know and what they've experienced and who they know. This is much less complex than it might seem if we just limit the scope a bit - we only care about what's relevant to the game.

Now you might be able to influence that character if you know how they feel about certain things. What can you give them? What can you tell them? Will they react better to the soft or hard sell?

There are worlds of possibilities for making an actual game out of conversation, without relying on boring old conversation trees or shitty minigames.

b0rsuk
30-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd play (!) a racing game in which cars are as easy to damage as in real life (but don't explode). Squirrels report car makers don't want to show their cars destroyed and they want to maintain an illusion that their cars are safe. Which is why players in racing games are afraid of a collision because it means a loss of speed, not because it equals death.

Mohorovicic
30-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Burnout dude. Burnout. Shame Takedown never made it to the PC.