PDA

View Full Version : Hawken is officially in beta as of today (Friday), there is no NDA

Sic
26-10-2012, 01:02 AM
What do we think?

I played the alpha, and I have my impressions of that, but I'm going to give the beta a go before I pass my judgement.

Did everyone from the alpha get in?

Cooper
26-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Was in the alpha, am in the beta weekend. Am very impressed by what I've seen so far.

ado
26-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Was in the alpha as well, just downloaded the beta client. I am a Hawken cheerleader and I cant wait to see you guys on the battlefield and inevitably own your asses.

sabrage
26-10-2012, 02:26 AM
I hope the extend the Beta period after the weekend. I'm sure the servers are going to get hit pretty hard.

Cosm
26-10-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm excited to see how it's changed since alpha. It felt nearly finished then, so I'm glad they're really putting the time in to make this game great before release. Sweet that there's no NDA.

TechnicalBen
26-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes.
Gonna kick giant robot butt soooooo hard. :D

TailSwallower
26-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Really loved the Alpha once I found a build that I liked. Should have time to hit up the beta tomorrow.

DaftPunk
26-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm getting problem with installer

"CANT DOWNLOAD METAFILE"

sabrage
26-10-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm getting problem with installer

"CANT DOWNLOAD METAFILE"
If you played during the Alpha you'll have to reinstall for the Beta.

I'm pretty miffed by the lack of customization available this weekend.

DaftPunk
26-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Never played the game before,i just got in beta and can't get installer to work :/

Stevo
26-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Ditto the above

Makariel
26-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm a Hawken-cheerleader as well. Was in the alpha and am also in the beta. If you see my username this weekend, don't hesitate to shoot me (as if I'd need to tell that ;)). Loving the gameplay and "feel" of the mecha. Originally I looked forward to that other f2p-mech game currently in alpha/beta, but I hardly played that anymore since I got access to Hawken.

bonkers
26-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Alpha never really cliked with me. I don't think I will give it another try. There are plenty of other (F2P) games that I liked within minutes of gameplay. And although I enjoy(ed) more fast-paced shooters like Quake and UT in the past, Hawken doesn't do it for me.

Ogun
26-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Never played the game before,i just got in beta and can't get installer to work :/
According to the Hawken forums, this is because the servers are currently offline. They'll be back up when the test begins.

Tei
26-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Hope DontTaseMeBro is not taken...

elephant god
26-10-2012, 02:38 PM
wow. I really didn't expect to be playing Hawken so soon. But there it was this morning, a key giveaway on eurogamer.

The installation doesn't work for me, yet, either, but Hawken is exactly the sort of thing I thought about when reading Jim's future of gaming article yesterday.

Sparkasaurusmex
26-10-2012, 02:56 PM
The download should work but I think there is a last little file that won't be available until noon PST. Five hours from the time of this post.

squirrel
26-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Turns out this game will not be publicly released within this year. They are still beta testing it. Another disappointment of this year.

Jigowatt
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Turns out this game will not be publicly released within this year. They are still beta testing it. Another disappointment of this year.

The release countdown on the official site says 46 days until launch. They're calling it an "open beta", but the game will be out for all to play in December. :) http://www.playhawken.com/home (http://www.playhawken.com/home/)

I'll be playing the closed beta this weekend! Can't wait - the game looks breathtaking.

johnki
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Since it's apparently got no NDA now, I'll just say I was in the alpha, and it has an epic feel, but gah, I wish there were more variety. Since you're locked to the same guns that your class starts with, the least they could do is not recycle the gun choices so much.

Makariel
26-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I assume they will introduce more varied weaponry in time. Just let it be balanced...

ado
26-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Since it's apparently got no NDA now, I'll just say I was in the alpha, and it has an epic feel, but gah, I wish there were more variety. Since you're locked to the same guns that your class starts with, the least they could do is not recycle the gun choices so much.

I'd rather have a handfull of varied guns than a couple of dozen of guns that are incrementally different to be honest. And I'm glad that they're restricting gun selection based on class, with a looser system a "top build" would be figured out very fast and then no one would play anything else.

And from my alpha experience I was very happy with the build selections as they where very purpose driven and no matter what your preferred style of play was you could easily find a class that broadly serves your style and then rebuild it to suit your finer needs. Like for example I don't usually snipe because most games do not serve my sniping style, which is very mobile hit and run kind of sniping from the flanks. Hawken let me build a mobile light mech that was perfectly suited for exactly that purpose.

VIVA LA HAWKEN!!!

Finicky
26-10-2012, 04:44 PM
edit: the game launcher now downloads the client! So I assume we can get in.
Edit 2: no game servers up ingame, so I guess not:p

elephant god
26-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, I can launch the game, edit the settings and look at a mech. but no servers, yet.

Mac
26-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Just installing now - hoping its more fun than Planetside

Ogun
26-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes, I can launch the game, edit the settings and look at a mech. but no servers, yet.

there's a last minute bug left to be squished, but they're still hoping to go ahead with it today so servers may become visible later tonight.

TechnicalBen
26-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Yep. Seems they found it, but were hoping to get it fixed before the deadline. They did not. Gogogadget codemonkeys!

TechnicalBen
26-10-2012, 09:30 PM
It's up now.

elephant god
26-10-2012, 10:09 PM
all servers are US, I can't connect to any game. sadface. I'll try again tomorrow.

Finicky
26-10-2012, 11:23 PM
US servers only yeah, but you can connect, most are full and there is no full message just a generic error message, keep trying.

For those who managed to play:
Can you turn off mouse acceleration? It drives me insane, I play at high mouse sensitivity and the mouse accel kicks in constantly and kicks in hard...
Can you turn off the heavy grain filter? I'm all for some roboty effects but this is the same kind of crapfilter that ruined fear 3 , do not want.

mammothbaby
27-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I was floored by how atmospheric and immersive (I know, I know) the game was. Combat was scary. Other mechs were scary. But when I realized that situational awareness and mobility were key, and I started feeling confident, I realized that this might be my go-to multiplayer game come next year.

Finicky
27-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I was floored by how atmospheric and immersive (I know, I know) the game was. Combat was scary. Other mechs were scary. But when I realized that situational awareness and mobility were key, and I started feeling confident, I realized that this might be my go-to multiplayer game come next year.

They absolutely NAILED the situational awareness aspect (and reward for it), as well as positioning , energy/heat managment that is so important for this type of game. The game is VERY tense when you are repairing after fleeing and losing your enemy, or when you dodge enemy grenades or are starting to overheat as you run into a second enemy.
There is an absolutely massive potential for learning curve/skill cap in this game.

They managed to make it fast paced and give you proper FPS controls and yet you still feel like you play as a mech , not like it's just a meaningless skin/animation.
I didn't expect that, it's wizardry.

The only problem I have is that they need to do something about the gunplay... there is no sense of impact or if you hit something, and no real sense of shooting your guns.
I was really getting my jollies from zipping around the map and was having a blast and after an hour of practice I was dominating the server I was on , but the gunplay did not give me ANY feedback of me hitting these people.

The only feedback is the stupid health bars above the heads, I'm assuming the devs are aware of the lack of feedback and implemented the health bars, in the early videos of the game there were no health bars.

The old MOH games, half life, cs, quake, ut and all the best shooters out there have always had AMAZING (and satisfying) feedback through a combination of animations, sounds, hit animations and hit bleeps.
I hope they put some sense of 'being' into the gunplay because as great as the graphics, maps and general gameplay are, it really is only half a game if the gunplay is lacking.
The best and most memorably fps games have always without exception nailed this aspect, those who didn't have pretty much consistently been forgotten.

note: by gunplay I mean weapon feel, not balance or anything else.

TechnicalBen
27-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I got 3 games going. Seems similar to the Alpha (which is under an NDA so I cannot comment), so for no particular reason, I'd expect the coding people to get the servers fixed over the weekend and we might get some really nice games going all being well.

Tei
27-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Can't play. All servers are 12/12 or -1/-1, and when I try joining a 10/12 it fail too. Matchmarking fail too. I can't use a learning mode, or training, or host myself.

So.. uh... a pretty.... menu. This game ...menu reminds me of World of Tanks, thing.

4/5 : ok-ish menu

ado
27-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah I don't know whats the deal with EU/UK servers, couldn't log on either. But I did manage to play a handful of games on US East servers. The experience was lagy but not to the point where it took the enjoyment out of the game.

The new Siege mode they have is kinda confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it its really great and the map design (Titan map) is great, a lot of space for large battles and vertical layers to the map make it a total blast to play. A lot of massive battles happen around the central point of the map once the AA canon is up for grabs, and it's really ridiculously fun because you have multiple options for attacking that point and defending on it.

The only thing that kinda disappointed me so far (apart from the server issues of course) is that they have less mech options this time around than in the alpha and that they will have a unlock system for the talents and perks. I never liked these types of systems, not in BF and not in Tribes because it makes the game harsh towards noobs, but I guess they need to put in some kind of carrot in there to keep the people coming back. Like this awesome gameplay isn't enough.

The rest is pretty cool, they touched up some designs and rebalanced the way OP assault class by making it a medium class mech. It's still got the same versatility and punch only with less mobility. So yea, I'm pleased with the overall progress they've made since the alpha, the game seems to be coming together quite nicely.

Lim-Dul
27-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Speaking of HAWKEN. I remember that there was a teaser trailer featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun a while ago where there is a robot in a post-apocalyptic setting, sitting on a car. It rusts as seasons go by but after a while the systems turn on and it becomes apparent that it's actually a mech-suit with someone in stasis inside.

For some reason I thought it was a HAWKEN teaser, but it wasn't. Does anybody recall the name of the game?

Cosm
27-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Speaking of HAWKEN. I remember that there was a teaser trailer featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun a while ago where there is a robot in a post-apocalyptic setting, sitting on a car. It rusts as seasons go by but after a while the systems turn on and it becomes apparent that it's actually a mech-suit with someone in stasis inside.

For some reason I thought it was a HAWKEN teaser, but it wasn't. Does anybody recall the name of the game?

Reset (http://reset-game.net/). Really interested to see how that game turns out, it looks amazing judging by what little there is.

elephant god
27-10-2012, 05:18 PM
As much fun as I'm having with Hawken, I can't seem to shake the feeling that, like Brink, all the potential in this game is wasted on an FPS Multiplayer Unlockathon.

DaftPunk
27-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Reset (http://reset-game.net/). Really interested to see how that game turns out, it looks amazing judging by what little there is.

The premise of game is:

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/2f8e5232e3d18b916400910caa3d7fe6?s=35&d=retro&r=G

Forecaster (http://ttower.dyndns.org/)
April 25th, 2012 6:48pm

REPLY (http://reset-game.net/?p=142&replytocom=104#respond)

My guess would be that you play an organic life form of some kind (probably human) that is stuck inside a robotic exoskeleton that has been inactive for a long time.
That’s what it looks like to me at least.
Can’t wait for it to come out!

http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/ee637488d00771feb784a2e647a81d04?s=35&d=retro&r=G

a_Oksaharju (http://reset-game.net/)
April 26th, 2012 11:11am

REPLY (http://reset-game.net/?p=142&replytocom=130#respond)

Your senses serve you well.

Finicky
27-10-2012, 06:11 PM
As much fun as I'm having with Hawken, I can't seem to shake the feeling that, like Brink, all the potential in this game is wasted on an FPS Multiplayer Unlockathon.
Brink was an insufferable turd of a game... hawken is nothing like it quality wise.

If I read your post after clicking on this thread to see what this game was about, I'd have left in a hurry since you compare it to Brink.

Lim-Dul
27-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Back to HAWKEN: I played it a while now and while the graphics are immersive, I don't dig the gameplay. Although you are piloting a mech and can fly/hover, it feels surprisingly like any other shooter I have played in the last year or so - especially the new breed that CoD spawned for better or for worse. On top of that the levels, while keeping up with the futuristic/apocalyptic landscape, simply feel bland to me - it's all a big pile of grey.

I also agree that I got the vibe that there might be a unlock-to-win aspect to the game but for that I'd have to play longer. Even with my basic mech I could take down people who had clearly superior (? or just different?) gear.

Anyways, not my cup of tea.

ado
27-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Every modern FPS is an unlockathon in a way, isn't it?

But Brink's problem wasn't that, Brink's problem was that the gameplay was ridiculously underwhelming. The core shooting felt very plastic and just not that exciting. And gameplay is what Hawken excels at (for me at least).

Finicky
27-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Btw looking at the unlocks , they don't seem to add up to more than the runes do in LoL, tiny percentages.
I hate unlocks and stat differences, but the game is f2p, and as far as f2p games the LoL f2p way is the only one that doesn't shit on the game.

They do have a mech rotation btw like LoL and SMNC to let you try certain classes for free each week, so it seems like it'll be very similar.

In an ideal world you'd be able to put down 40-50 euros for the game upfront and not have to deal with any of the f2p shit but still.

It certainly is a lot less pay for strenght than world of tanks (crew exp, modules that give 10 percent reload speed and aim time, lessening the distance at which you get spotted etc).
Stock crew in that game leaves you at a massive disadvantage and the new crew skills add more retarded advantages like a warning when you get spotted etc.
We could 've gotten off a lot worse with Hawken.

Sparkasaurusmex
27-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Alpha had an option to turn off the screen distortion, but it's missing in the beta! I really dislike the look of that effect.

Finicky
27-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Btw from the hawken forums, to unsuckify the controls and remove the pityful grainfilter.
for image grain, go to C:\Users\x\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config\HawkenEngine.ini

find the line:

ImageGrainNoiseTextureName=

then delete everything after the = sign on that line, I already deleted it so I cant show it

for mouse acceleration and smoothing, go to :\Users\x\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config\HawkenGame.ini

find the lines:

Acceleration=12.0
Smoothing=1.0

and change them both to 0

Still need a way to turn off the desaturation when on low hp... It's one of the worst effects in gaming (die in a fire color grading), and you spend a LOT of time on half hp or less in this game when doing well.
I'm playing the game in black and white more than half the time....

Sparkasaurusmex
27-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Fuckin fantastic Finicky!
Thanks

Patrick Swayze
27-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Im hating the Microwave and the Xbox we've been lumped with for this beta!

What happened to all the pretty mechs?

elephant god
28-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Brink was an insufferable turd of a game... hawken is nothing like it quality wise.

If I read your post after clicking on this thread to see what this game was about, I'd have left in a hurry since you compare it to Brink.

If you pick my post apart word by word, what I'm saying is that I am having fun with Hawken and that it has lots of potential.

then I speak about my feelings :) which are effectively that I don't really like multiplayer FPS these days, and everytime I see one with an interesting setting, theme or gameplay which - due to the nature of the multiplayer FPS - isn't further elaborated upon, I just feel like it's a waste.

Labbes
28-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I played one match and I was completely blown away. Here's what I liked, playing just the generic mech it gives you: It feels like when I kill someone, it's because I'm better. You can dodge rockets and stuff, you can use terrain to your advantage very easily. You have to pay attention to when you heal. You go into 3rd person while healing, meaning you get a better overview so you don't die to someone behind you (which would feel cheap). How to get up and down (in planes) is very intuitive.
It also "feels" very heavy, and very tense. Especially when fighting in close quarters with an assault rifle vs. a submachine gun...you know you can do it, but it's really hard.
Reminds me of Double Domination in UT, which is probably my favorite shooter of all time. Loving it.

TechnicalBen
29-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Btw looking at the unlocks , they don't seem to add up to more than the runes do in LoL, tiny percentages.
I hate unlocks and stat differences, but the game is f2p, and as far as f2p games the LoL f2p way is the only one that doesn't shit on the game.

They do have a mech rotation btw like LoL and SMNC to let you try certain classes for free each week, so it seems like it'll be very similar.

In an ideal world you'd be able to put down 40-50 euros for the game upfront and not have to deal with any of the f2p shit but still.

It certainly is a lot less pay for strenght than world of tanks (crew exp, modules that give 10 percent reload speed and aim time, lessening the distance at which you get spotted etc).
Stock crew in that game leaves you at a massive disadvantage and the new crew skills add more retarded advantages like a warning when you get spotted etc.
We could 've gotten off a lot worse with Hawken.
I apsolutely hate the "XP/Stat" unlock system. The TF2 sidegrades is ok. The only thing that will save Hawken for me is if the unlocks are quick enough not to matter (currently close to 10 games for 1 unlock, 2-3 games for 1 level. With at least 6 unlocks needed, 15 levels, that's a lot of games to get "even" with the others :/ ).

Basically, it would be best to be purely pay er serve/pay for cosmetics funded. But I guess people get greedy or believe the marketing hype that the money is in F2P. :(

Finicky
29-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes but if the bonusses from the unlocks are small enough (which they seem to be, the modules make a bigger difference but those only take a few games to unlock) then it doesn't really matter.

4 percent more dmg done and 2 percent runspeed etc aren't going to make a lick of difference in a game like this.

Btw , titan mode gives over 6k exp per game if you play well (WAY more than other modes) so it seems like leveling up mechs to max level even without the p2p 2x bonusses will take only a few days.

I put 9000+ games into world of tanks, half of which with the subscription active for 1.5x bonus and haven't unlocked half the tanks in the game.

ado
29-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Some upgrades are pretty chunky in the talent tree though. Like the +75hp one.

I'm not complaining though as it will not get in the way of me enjoying the game, but if I was a noob coming in to Hawken after a few months of it's release I'd probably be feeling differently about that.

Stevo
29-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I really really don't like it. It's just so hetic, I can barely take in whats happening at any given time just overloads the senses. I don't think combat is any different from a Quake/UT like shooter tbh albeit in Mechs.

Finicky
29-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I really really don't like it. It's just so hetic, I can barely take in whats happening at any given time just overloads the senses. I don't think combat is any different from a Quake/UT like shooter tbh albeit in Mechs.

I suppose it has vague similarities , but quake and ut are much much much faster paced games than hawken.
Hawken is also VERY MUCH about managing heat and energy to get the most out of your mech (a meta game that doesn't exist in quake or ut, though they each have a lot of other meta game of their own), if you can't manage those you will get owned.

You are also highly immobile when trying to retreat backwards (in quake/ut you do so at full speed, many top quake players can traverse around the maps at lightning speed with backwards strafejumping)

Hawken is much, much easier than either of those games, though it is more challenging and has a lot more depth to the combat than a call of duty.

Some upgrades are pretty chunky in the talent tree though. Like the +75hp one.

I'm not complaining though as it will not get in the way of me enjoying the game, but if I was a noob coming in to Hawken after a few months of it's release I'd probably be feeling differently about that.
Didn't notice the HP one,yeah that's pretty lame.
Still fairly innocent compared to the massive scaling in world of tanks (where you fight 5 tiers apart, and each tier almost doubles in DPM and gets a lot more hp and armor and view range, and a fully trained crew is effective while a 50 percent crew renders your tank pretty much useless)

I'm not disagreeing though.
I too wish they'd just stuck to cosmetic stuff and unlocking the mech classes, there is no need for this stupid upgrade/unlock train carrot.
Since it's f2p we can still count our lucky stars that it isn't worse than it is.

TechnicalBen
29-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Yes but if the bonusses from the unlocks are small enough (which they seem to be, the modules make a bigger difference but those only take a few games to unlock) then it doesn't really matter.

4 percent more dmg done and 2 percent runspeed etc aren't going to make a lick of difference in a game like this.

Btw , titan mode gives over 6k exp per game if you play well (WAY more than other modes) so it seems like leveling up mechs to max level even without the p2p 2x bonusses will take only a few days.

I put 9000+ games into world of tanks, half of which with the subscription active for 1.5x bonus and haven't unlocked half the tanks in the game.

No, no no and a million times no. There is no such thing that "this guy's advantage is so small it does not matter" especially considering half of them max out at over 10% improvements. A small advantage due to the players ability, setup or skill would be fine. A small advantage because a player spent more money that you on the game? Hmm, that's not what I call fun or engaging gameplay. More stats because they spent more time? Still not very much helpful, as unless the game has a level based matchmaker, your barrier to entry becomes massive. :/

I am happy if it is "everyone can play with the same stats". I have nothing against variation of stats, but it needs to be an even playing field.

The game plays really well, I really like it. I've no interest in getting tanked by someone with ++3%++5%++6% on every stat though. "Play better" is not the answer, because it makes the game less fun to have an unfair playing field. If I want to have fun in a lower rank mech, I only want to do it on the occasion I want to do it. :/

Finicky
29-10-2012, 04:38 PM
No, no no and a million times no. There is no such thing that "this guy's advantage is so small it does not matter" especially considering half of them max out at over 10% improvements. A small advantage due to the players ability, setup or skill would be fine. A small advantage because a player spent more money that you on the game? Hmm, that's not what I call fun or engaging gameplay. More stats because they spent more time? Still not very much helpful, as unless the game has a level based matchmaker, your barrier to entry becomes massive. :/

I am happy if it is "everyone can play with the same stats". I have nothing against variation of stats, but it needs to be an even playing field.

The game plays really well, I really like it. I've no interest in getting tanked by someone with ++3%++5%++6% on every stat though. "Play better" is not the answer, because it makes the game less fun to have an unfair playing field. If I want to have fun in a lower rank mech, I only want to do it on the occasion I want to do it. :/
Again, I also think this stat crap shouldn't be in this game or in any game ever, it's a sad pathetic carrot to try to complement (often a lack of) gameplay.

But again those small bonusses won't make any real difference for a game like hakwen....
If you get 'tanked' by a guy with 5 percent more hp and 5 percent more dmg it's probably still because he was better than you.

The game has server browsers so here's hoping we can name the servers at release and play on passworded servers and clanservers.
Beginner vs vet has NEVER been an issue on pc for those who had half a brain and found themselves a server with a community around their own skill level.
Only the dumbest of pubtards would complain about that (those who matchmaking was designed for :p)

In secondary school half of the casual popped collar bro friends in my class who only played fifa and cs found themselves a few servers with people of similar skill level. If they didn't complain (and they were BAD and stayed BAD) then noone who understands the concept of a server browser should.

Once again, I agree with DEATH TO UNLOCKS AND STAT DIFFERENCES, but it's just not enough to impact this game in any meaningful way from what I can tell, especially since unless they change exp rates you will be able to get a mech to level 20 in about 10 hours of play...
Remember that the game is f2p, I was very saddened when they announced it was going to be f2p but I was also expecting much worse on the unlock/pay2win side. In this case it seems you'll be able to put down 30-40 euros in their cash shop and buy exp boosts that last you long enough to level up the mechs, and buy the modules you need. (again something most f2p games never allow you to do)

Battlehenkie
29-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Either this game somehow hides lag very well or has shite netcode. I'm playing from Singapore and it's incredibly tiring to fire two rockets in someone's back and unload a haze of assault rifle bullets, only to have them kill me in half of the time I already spent shooting them. And yes, I do know about strafe-dodging, overheating and grenades. Am I missing something that no-one else has?

I like the mechanics of the game, but it was hard to have fun when feeling like I'm playing a flimsy tin-can mech opposed to robust titanium optimus-prime-asswipers.

sabrage
29-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Either this game somehow hides lag very well or has shite netcode. I'm playing from Singapore and it's incredibly tiring to fire two rockets in someone's back and unload a haze of assault rifle bullets, only to have them kill me in half of the time I already spent shooting them. And yes, I do know about strafe-dodging, overheating and grenades. Am I missing something that no-one else has?
Don't play on servers that are several thousand miles away?

ado
29-10-2012, 06:34 PM

I like the mechanics of the game, but it was hard to have fun when feeling like I'm playing a flimsy tin-can mech opposed to robust titanium optimus-prime-asswipers.

I don't know man, I play light mechs and rarely have problems surviving or taking people down. Most problems I have is with really lucky/skillful snipers who get me with both the slug and the sniper rifle (pretty much obliterates almost all my hp, but for them to land both shots is quite rare and by the time they get to their next shot they're usually dead) and heavy mechs in turtle mode (it takes quite a few shots and some artful dodging to take a good turtle down, but it's still very doable).

TechnicalBen
29-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Sorry Finicky. 1) It's not 5 percent. It's a flat 10% at least, if not 20% at max. Second, it's not fair to new players to go up against maxed out players with 10-20% more on all stats + 2-3 times more firepower (lots of items give extra firepower, and are not available to new players). That's gonna hurt "fun" wise. :/

Imagine CS if only players with 30 hours play got to buy a different weapon to the pistol? :D
OR got armour after 35 hours. :P

Most people don't say "makes no difference" when their team is all unkitted, and the opposing team is maxed out. It would make for a poor game in any game (Computer or RL).

TailSwallower
30-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I really really don't like it. It's just so hetic, I can barely take in whats happening at any given time just overloads the senses.

How long have you stuck to it? I found it too fast at first, but persevered and got used to the rhythm of it quickly enough. Also, if you haven't already, play team games - having half the playing field on your side will help immensely.

And try a different mech, perhaps. You've got free points, so buy a couple and try them out. I found K:D ratio went up significantly in the Brawler, but each is distinctive enough to be brutal in the right hands.

Finicky
30-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Sorry Finicky. 1) It's not 5 percent. It's a flat 10% at least, if not 20% at max. Second, it's not fair to new players to go up against maxed out players with 10-20% more on all stats + 2-3 times more firepower (lots of items give extra firepower, and are not available to new players). That's gonna hurt "fun" wise. :/

Imagine CS if only players with 30 hours play got to buy a different weapon to the pistol? :D
OR got armour after 35 hours. :P

Most people don't say "makes no difference" when their team is all unkitted, and the opposing team is maxed out. It would make for a poor game in any game (Computer or RL).

If it is 20 percent and a ton more damage then that sucks yeah.
I haven't been able to get much level ups in the game because the ranks kept resetting.
I've only looked at what the unlock points buy, which didn't seem like much.

Has anyone figured out what weapon levels do yet?

TechnicalBen
30-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes. Flate rate improvement again. Not sure what percentages. But, the 6%-10% on stats, gets a another 5-10% on items and 5-10% (at a guess) on levels. Yep, would be "ok" if you had all that. Not much when you don't.

I just await the ragequites because a team has 1 or 2 new players and the others expected a maxed out team. :(

The game also plays a lot better with max stats (balance wise, you cannot max out everything, so you get tankers, rushers etc. With the base stats, there is only 1 type of gameplay, and matches play too similar)

Finicky
30-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes. Flate rate improvement again. Not sure what percentages. But, the 6%-10% on stats, gets a another 5-10% on items and 5-10% (at a guess) on levels. Yep, would be "ok" if you had all that. Not much when you don't.

I just await the ragequites because a team has 1 or 2 new players and the others expected a maxed out team. :(

The game also plays a lot better with max stats (balance wise, you cannot max out everything, so you get tankers, rushers etc. With the base stats, there is only 1 type of gameplay, and matches play too similar)

Meh I hate it when devs do that, gameplay should be sacred, you don't shit on it in any way or form.
Btw I really liked the base speed/heat build up / cooldown/ energy amounts you get stock, I kind of wish they could just leave it at that.
There are a LOT of games out there where the standard kits are beautifully balanced and make for good gameplay (no idea yet if the unlocks improve or detract from it for hawken) and that then see the delicate nuanced gameplay balance get completely thrown under the bus once the bonusses and unlocks come into play.

It's like talented designers put blood sweat and tears into making it good, then some marketing or focus testing analyst came in and said yeah fuck that shit it needs unlocks and a false sense of progression.

tohapply
31-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I think Hawken is a nice game!

TechnicalBen
31-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I agree Finicky. The game is great. Just a time/xp/money based limit to progression in a multilayer versus game is rather unfair. Especially when those items/bonuses are flat increases, not side grades or customizations (although given that name, they have no draw backs).
I'd prefer to see every new player getting a maxed out mech. But purchases/XP allowing you to swap the stats for others (so 5% boost can only be changed to 5% armour or 5% attack if you pay/XP grind). At least then there would be some balance for new players.

Learning is fun, progression is understandable. Setting up an unfair playing field to milk customers of their money is suspicious. :P

Sparkasaurusmex
31-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I've never had much of a problem with F2P games, but I am starting to understand why people don't like them. It seems like a good word is sanctity- something F2P games lack that is possible in single transaction games.