PDA

View Full Version : King's Bounty: Warriors of the North released

Peter Radiator Full Pig
26-10-2012, 02:13 PM
This really suprised me (http://store.steampowered.com/app/203350/), I didnt expect this so soon, after only reading about it a few days ago on RPS.
I really loved The Legend, and I thought I didnt have enough. Started playing Crossworlds, doing Armoured Princess first. Somehow found it not as engaging. I think it was just the fact that the units I enjoyed playing with were so rare that I dared not lose them, and thus had to play in a manner I found boring. Sort of a catch 22. I am a Mix/Maxer, so I couldnt just have a battle where 1 unit died, or else I wouldnt get progress towards the bonus.
Hoping that some of these problems are fixed in the new one. Anyone going to be playing it, care to share some thoughts when you do?

NathanH
26-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I will only play it if they've done something to alleviate the tedium of running around all the maps hiring replacements for your army after every battle, that just got annoying after a while.

Kellhus
26-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Hopefully going to play this tonight, don't really care that it's basically the same game again, as long as the combat and unit mixing is as fun as the original (and AP + expansion).

Was actually wondering if I should play this or Fallen Enchantress, but looking at their predecessors Warriors of the North is the safer choice.

Mohorovicic
26-10-2012, 02:31 PM
This really starts to look like milking right now.

Fanbuoy
26-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Hopefully going to play this tonight, don't really care that it's basically the same game again, as long as the combat and unit mixing is as fun as the original (and AP + expansion).

Was actually wondering if I should play this or Fallen Enchantress, but looking at their predecessors Warriors of the North is the safer choice.

I've heard some pretty good things about Fallen Enchantress, though. Meanwhile, Warriors of the North is probably just more of the same, but if that's okay with you then go for it.

Drake Sigar
26-10-2012, 02:45 PM
The Legend was fantastic, while Armoured Princess grew quite tiresome after the first few islands. I would be very interested to know what those who had the same opinion thought of Warriors of the North.

Squiz
26-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I might get it when it goes on sale and (important part) I finished KB:TL, dabbled in CW and still feel the need for more. These games are lovely in my opinion and I enjoy pouring hour after hour into playing them. Only finished AP so far and had about a dozen attempts at beating TL already but always got distracted after a while. My current attempt looks more promising though, so hopefully I can get this game from my "have to finish" list pretty soon.

If anyone plays this and could give a quick overview of differences to the other games and some strong and weak points I would really appreciate the effort.

PeteC
26-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I've just played through The Legend and Armored Princess back to back in an effort to work through my backlog of unplayed games. I only finished a few days ago so I'm sort of looking forward to this but also feeling a bit burned out on them. I need a bit of a break after around 200 hours spent on them over the last couple of months so it'll have to wait. Besides which, XCOM is keeping me occupied for now.

Internet
26-10-2012, 05:38 PM
This really suprised me (http://store.steampowered.com/app/203350/), I didnt expect this so soon, after only reading about it a few days ago on RPS.
I really loved The Legend, and I thought I didnt have enough. Started playing Crossworlds, doing Armoured Princess first. Somehow found it not as engaging. I think it was just the fact that the units I enjoyed playing with were so rare that I dared not lose them, and thus had to play in a manner I found boring. Sort of a catch 22. I am a Mix/Maxer, so I couldnt just have a battle where 1 unit died, or else I wouldnt get progress towards the bonus.
Hoping that some of these problems are fixed in the new one. Anyone going to be playing it, care to share some thoughts when you do?

I'm working my way through Armored Princess, but the way to play King's Bounty fast and loose with rare units is to get a druid, mind control some animals, sacrifice the mindcontrolled animals. Also, put a bomb on the animals you sacrifice to blow up all their friends. This got a lot harder in AP though, since they added the hypnosis spell that lets you do that to almost any unit, which in turn means the mana costs are a lot higher (mana costs or in AP are a lot higher in general, or spell damage is lower - I'm not finding it half as fun, even though trap is a really awesome spell).

I will only play it if they've done something to alleviate the tedium of running around all the maps hiring replacements for your army after every battle, that just got annoying after a while.

As I mentioned above, sacrifice is really pretty good at fixing that (especially with hypnosis), diplomacy helps (everyone uses inquisitors), as does using paladins and inquistors (both of whom resurrect units) or Druids and Demonologists (who summon cannon fodder that use to suicide bomb / distract the enemy with). High initiative units can also help, because then you can fire spells first.

Also, I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the games, so the way I've found around that is to sneak through as many maps as you can access, get as many runes, flags, and scrolls as you can (so you're disproportionately powerful for your level), and then go back and fight people on your level. The only time I really lose units are boss fights, hero fights, and fights to get more maps (where the loss of units is far outweighed by the power gain of a new area to plunder). I do truly and deeply hate hero fights, which start of with a fireball killing your men, no matter how tactically you play.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
26-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I remember after a while in The Legend after finding an army I like I used cheats. One to replace losses and one to take away appropriate gold. Just because backtracking is not interesting mechanically. Its possible that not knowing the cheats in XW made it grow a bit too tedious. It might of been playing it so soon after The Legend.
There is so much I love about this series that I hope they fix what I see as problems.

What are the things people dislike about the other games in the series? Would be good to know so we can check against what Warriors in the North has changed.

pakoito
27-10-2012, 02:31 AM
I would like this game to be a vs game, that's my biggest gripe. Vs game meaning more/less control over army building, more emphasis on unit balance, remake the core gameplay from refill army -> lose it to quest to something else.

Finicky
27-10-2012, 03:29 AM
I also loved legend, I only got tired of that once I got to hell. (tedium set in).
Armored princess which I played a year later felt way too familiar , I felt bored immediately, going through the early game motions of legend all over again (despite the full year break)

I'm guessing king's bounty is one of those one time things, once you've experienced the formula you're pretty much over it, at least that's how it was for me.

Did they do away with the more asinine mechanics (buying limited supply units etc, the game promoted hoarding way too much, no fun allowed)

squirrel
27-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Stores here clear out stocks of Armored Princess for USD5-10.

Sad thing though, poor sales suggest they aren't gonna stock another King's Bounty installment.

BillButNotBen
27-10-2012, 07:14 AM

This. It was a really nice game, with charm and some very nice mechanics. But a few things like this made it very grindy. I enjoyed legend, but then I decided to stop as it was wasting too much of my time to get to the good bits.

Squiz
27-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Stores here clear out stocks of Armored Princess for USD5-10.

Sad thing though, poor sales suggest they aren't gonna stock another King's Bounty installment.Well, let's see how Warrior of the North turns out. On the other hand, this will be the 4th game in the revived series, so I don't think that there is too little of it as it is.

Concerning the mechanisms of the old games, I think the way the world is set up and the way the recruitment works it rewards cheesy strategies, like the hypnotise/sacrifice strategy (The Legend), using only one unit of Trolls and only fighting during the night for the regen, then slapping on Mana Trap and all other defensive spells you've got, mass spam repair droids that revive each other, gaining infinite rage/mana with the Mana Accelerator ability of your Pet Dragon in combination with the Illusion spell and Inquisitors (all above in Armored Princess), and so on and so on, at which point it gets tedious after a while and you only want to finish the game.

I'd be interested to see how this works in Warriors of the North and if anything has changed. Especially since the quests and characters in TL seemed more funny and weird than in AP I hope that the new game will be a bit more like TL in this regard.

squirrel
27-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I heard this game surprisingly stresses out system ram so much that the frame rate is not okay if you have less than 4GB no matter how powerful your graphic card is. Is it true?

HappyStreet
28-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I really dont get where this series is headed. I loved The Legend but all the games in the series just looks the same. It is like they are all expansion packs and we are waiting for "King's Bounty 2." What i mean is that the game still has the same graphics and nothing has really changed except new units. It's more of the same which is okay to a certain extent but at some point you just have to update it a bit. Hope they do that with the next game.

Casimir Effect
28-10-2012, 01:28 AM
It's kind of what those types of games are about.
King's Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic, Disciples - none of them really change the gameplay massively throughout the series (at least HOMM hasn't recently). D3 made a switch to tile-based movement during battles (for the worst I'd say) while HOMM updates the graphics engine, but ultimately you're still doing the same stuff. And making the system behind that stuff as addictive and rewarding as possible is what makes these games good. But for me the KB series lacks this a bit, but at least in keeping things like the engine the same the new games won't be bad.

I played Armoured Princess all the way through over about 30 hours, doing everything, and while I enjoyed it I doubt I'd ever go back and play it again with a different character type. But I'll happily play The Legend and this new one sometime
I've played Disciples 2 fully around 10 times, with different player types and primary hero types for each race more than once. Something about that game really resonated with me, and so I was hoping for an exact sequel with new units and story. Instead I got something different with an unnecessary 3D engine which meant the game was bugged to hell. Because of this I've barely playewd Renaissance and have no plans to buy Resurrection, as yet anyway.

PeteC
28-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Sales don't seem to be too good for this on Steam. It barely scrapes into the top 40 in the bestsellers list. A shame really but expect a price drop soon. It does seem overpriced currently for what is essentially The Legend 1.5 I suppose.

icupnimpn2
29-10-2012, 12:55 PM
I really dont get where this series is headed. I loved The Legend but all the games in the series just looks the same. It is like they are all expansion packs and we are waiting for "King's Bounty 2." What i mean is that the game still has the same graphics and nothing has really changed except new units. It's more of the same which is okay to a certain extent but at some point you just have to update it a bit. Hope they do that with the next game.

I think that's because the original developers moved on to other projects. Not sure who developed this expansion pack, but they don't have a team to do a true follow up.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
29-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone know what the team that made The Legend are doing now?
HappyStreet raises a good point. Its like the people who now make the game know they have a game thats fun, but not what made it fun. So they changed the units, the values, without really progressing the mechanics.

MrN
29-10-2012, 05:07 PM
I'll probably snap this up as soon as I actually get around to finishing the earlier installments in the series. Hopefully by then, I'll even be able to get it at a discount. I've always found these games to be incredibly relaxing, just slowly clicking away, doing my thing while sipping on some tea. =)

Moraven
29-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I am all for new content, even if it uses 95% of the same game mechanics and gameplay. But we already have had a AP and CW. Give us something new!

Internet
29-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyone know what the team that made The Legend are doing now?
HappyStreet raises a good point. Its like the people who now make the game know they have a game thats fun, but not what made it fun. So they changed the units, the values, without really progressing the mechanics.

They're making an MMO.

HappyStreet
29-10-2012, 06:41 PM
They're making an MMO.

Do you know the name?

IDtenT
29-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Do you know the name?
Royal Quest.

HappyStreet
29-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Royal Quest.

Alright thank you.

Well back to King's Bounty what do you guys think is the most important thing they need to upgrade for the next game? As i stated earlier i think it is the graphics. Just can't see them getting far with what they have now.