PDA

View Full Version : Need For Speed Most Wanted 2 Videos Released Early!

RedRobin
26-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Thought the community might be interested in seeing this Need for Speed video. This game has yet to be released to the public but certain Youtube Channels were given the opportunity to showcase the game early. How do you guys feel about these types of games like Need for Speed? How do you feel about console in general? I personally think its going to be dying soon just because PC > Console by such a huge amount :D

http://youtu.be/D-aamIEhFYo

squirrel
26-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I love illicit racing games. In Sleeping Dogs I enjoyed so much of racing. Not only joining those races, but I would provoke those stupid cops so that they would race with me.

So I see that this is a arcade style racer. May play well with mouse and keyboard. Cool.

Hey, is BMW Z4 M power included in this game?

RedRobin
26-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I love illicit racing games. In Sleeping Dogs I enjoyed so much of racing. Not only joining those races, but I would provoke those stupid cops so that they would race with me.

So I see that this is a arcade style racer. May play well with mouse and keyboard. Cool.

Hey, is BMW Z4 M power included in this game?

I have yet to find the Z4 because in this game you need to find all your cars.. But I did manage to find the m3 and its not too bad... but it doesnt scale well when put against the Corvette z1 or the Nissan Gtr :P (Cars I have found)

PS: The cars are pretty well balanced they actually did a lot of real life testing on the cars to get their in game specs correct. (from what I have read)

Finicky
26-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Ehm, nfs mw 2012 videos have been up for 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure that this very video has been online for at least a week...

The only thing the 'exlusive sneak very first blabla' crap does is instantly make people roll their eyes.

I'm glad that they put the multiplayer back in... the ridiculous leaderboard only pseudo multiplayer of hot pursuit was just sad.
Hopefully this one will be longer than 5 hours too... and not half of that time will be taken up by cutscenes.
I literally finished hot pursuit in an afternoon.

somini
29-10-2012, 02:03 AM
EA can pry my copy of NSFMW(The real one!) from my cold dead hands. Enough with the Burnout crap, I say! Most Wanted is one of my favourite racing games and this Burnout: Most Wanted can go die in a fire. Criterion has been releasing Burnout Paradise for 3 years now, with different packagings. Come back, Black Box. :(

vinraith
29-10-2012, 02:59 AM
EA can pry my copy of NSFMW(The real one!) from my cold dead hands. Enough with the Burnout crap, I say! Most Wanted is one of my favourite racing games and this Burnout: Most Wanted can go die in a fire. Criterion has been releasing Burnout Paradise for 3 years now, with different packagings. Come back, Black Box. :(

Funny, that's exactly how I felt about the first Most Wanted not being Hot Pursuit 3. I still think Hot Pursuit 2 is trivially the best game in the franchise.

Finicky
29-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah the first mw wasnt much like the other nfs games at all...

I quite enjoyed it for being open world, but man those relentless cop chases near the end (missions starting you off with max wanted rating, now lose them while they constantly spawn around you out of nowhere) that took 20 mins each soured things for me. They rubberbanded like mad and the jeeps kept spawning in the opposite lane.

somini
29-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah the first mw wasnt much like the other nfs games at all...

I quite enjoyed it for being open world, but man those relentless cop chases near the end (missions starting you off with max wanted rating, now lose them while they constantly spawn around you out of nowhere) that took 20 mins each soured things for me. They rubberbanded like mad and the jeeps kept spawning in the opposite lane.
Perfect! I found 30min chases the best. Always on the edge of my seat, crashing tons of Heavy SUVs. Good times...

Finicky
29-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Some warnings about Most wanted 2012 since the usual 'game junnalism' hasn't told anyone about these in previews:

Man most wanted 2012 is a stinker! I'm a huge racing game fan and it takes a lot for me to hate a racing game, I even enjoyed driver SF despite being a terrible terrible port, I liked hot pursuit well enough and paradise too + I'm a fan of the old NFS games.
People complained about The Run because it wasn't like nfs at all and it made you brake before corners but I thought it handled well enough once you got the hang of it and was satisfying to powerslide in. It went for a bit more realistic handling.

Remember the stuttering you'd see in all preview videos on youtube of the pc version? Yeah that's not an encoding problem on youtube, framerates swing wildly so there is regular slowdown and what looks like frameskipping (hd6870).
It's not my gpu as someone with a gtx680 and i7 ivy bridge @4.5 ghz reported having framedrops to the low 40s all the time.

The game doesn't look nearly good enough to justify such poor framerates.

No FFB support
No wheel support (it recognises my DFGT but you have to manually bind the buttons and the wheel is registered as an analog stick.... 60-70 degrees if movement UGH)
Why even bother with a racing game if you won't even implement basic wheel support?
I assume this will put off quite a few people , that's why I made the thread, imagine wasting 50 euros on this assuming you can play it with a wheel...

Got a 120, 75 or 72 hz monitor? FUCK YOU, engine is locked at 60 hz.
Not just 60 fps cap, no, it forces your gpu into 60 hz mode, if your monitor runs at 75 hz like mine you'll have problems. So far I've only seen some ubisoft games ever mess this up.

So much for the technical side...

Ingame;

-There's no in car view, which wouldn't be the end of the world if there was more than one third person view nd that third person view didn't block your view with your car every time you jump or drive up hill....

-Controls are not like the run, nor like paradise, nor like hot pursuit, nor like the old NFS games, it's very arcadey but all the cars have MASSIVE understeer and are very unresponsive until you do that arbitrary race to give you the racing tyres.
There isn't much sense of speed (unlocked the atom, the gt40 etc so I tried the faster cars that go 300+km/h)
The game seems to have some agressive steering assist that kicks in when you do a powerslide.... so when you try to dodge a car or change direction during a drift the steering simple does not respond at all...
I forced myself to keep playing to see if it got better (played for like 3-4 hours, which is about 35 percent of the game) but was bored throughout and will never play it again.
Rubber banding is turned to 11... Racing at 261 km/h top speed in the atom and some weaker car which normally only has about 220 top speed comes FLYING past. If you crash once you are 8th, because the other cars all formed a rubber band train right behind you.

-you constantly miss checkpoints because you can't see where you are supposed to go.... the checkpoint vertical lines are very easy to miss + the game does the bf3 style dust on your glasses + super lenseflares and sun glare. Stuff in the distance doesn't draw in (and fades in extremely subtly) untill it's relatively close, so small obstacles can come out of nowhere. (or rather, with the unresponsive cars you won't have time to avoid them)

-the city feels small, most races are just laps around an area of the city and it definitely feels smaller than paradise, let alone hot pursuit. Haven't come across many point to point races, I'm guessing because the city isn't really big enough. I keep seeing the same streets again and again when driving around between races.

-you can't roll the car like in paradise, if you roll you instantly get a crash animation.
In fact, you are royally treated to long dull crash animations every time you hit something, not sure why they felt the need to break the pacing and gameplay up like that.

-music is crap, this is subjective I suppose but I've enjoyed the music of every NFS game that came before it.
It's some incredibly shitty dubstep, some pop songs and a few random old hit songs that they dug up.

-the repetitive whine of the engines gave me a headache, or maybe it was the constant lens flares and shiney roads, or both.
Sound is really dissapointing.

If you like racing with a wheel or you don't have a monster pc you're probably better off waiting until this shows up for the inevitable 5 euros in a steam sale in 6 months, I personally wouldn't even pay that for it as I didn't enjoy it. Maybe by the steam sale criterion will have patched in some wheel support and fixed the performance, but I wouldn't count on it.

somini
29-10-2012, 10:32 PM
If you like racing with a wheel or you don't have a monster pc you're probably better off waiting until this shows up for the inevitable 5 euros in a steam sale in 6 months, I personally wouldn't even pay that for it as I didn't enjoy it. Maybe by the steam sale criterion will have patched in some wheel support and fixed the performance, but I wouldn't count on it.
Worth to note that game isn't and likely never be on Steam. Not that I care, that preview just killed the already negative interest I had in the game.